Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well, I might have my first IT job since going back and getting a 2nd bachelors in IT. It involves a lot of phone calls but its a 20k salary increase from what I'm doing now and I have the opportunity to work from home when Im up to speed :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thanks to a kind goon who recommended a university for me to go back for a 2nd bachelors I have graduated, have a bunch of certs, recently started applying and have tons of interviews

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ElGroucho posted:

Has anybody done one of the online degree programs? I'm looking at Oregon State University, and they have a pretty interesting CS major for people who already have a degree in something else.

I did WGU, it was my 2nd bachelors. No employers have cared that it is online at all, and a few were even interested. Like anything you do online, I think it is all about what you put into it. When I was studying for my CCNA I bought switches and routers, did tons of labs, etc, but if I had wanted to I probably could have just downloaded a brain dump and passed it.

WGU is cheap, the mentors are quick to respond, most of the course work is pretty good, etc.

Each term is 6 months and the same price no matter how many courses you complete. Books and the cost of the vouchers/testing center stuff are all included in tuition. They also have a really big library, access to a bunch of online vids that you can study outside of your coursework, etc. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out tbh.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 24, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:toot:

I have two job interviews, both of which I'd be happy to work at

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I honestly have no idea what I should do in my situation. I'm trying to transition to the IT field, and I finally got a job offer. The problem is, much of it is VoIP support over the phone, so normally when they call they are going to be pretty riled up since THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION. But I also interviewed at a place that is primarly ticket support and doing SQL stuff and also seems like a nice bunch of people. Supposedly I'll hear from them this week. I also got an interview set up for a major local university that I've been trying to get into for a long time. I'm honestly completely torn on whether I should accept the job I've already been offered, or wait on the one I'd likely prefer. I will just kick myself if I accept this job and sometime this upcoming week I get offered the job I prefer. I think it would be pretty rude to accept a job, then immediately say "oh nm, thanks for wasting a few weeks on me gl with the next new person".

basically its currently raining potential jobs when before there was a drought, and that almost sucks as much as not getting any bites

RIP

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, I'm thinking thats what I'm going to do. I'm not hurting for money, and tbh, I'll be taking a pay cut initially pretty much any IT position I take since it'll be entry level. My current job pays pretty well but I honestly don't want to do it for the rest of my life

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you were the manager hiring someone doing entry level database development stuff (like basic SQL stuff etc starting out)

what kind of questions do you think you'd ask someone you were interviewing

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

if you were the manager hiring someone doing entry level database development stuff (like basic SQL stuff etc starting out)

what kind of questions do you think you'd ask someone you were interviewing

I got the job and its a huge raise

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty nervous, on the 11th I'll be starting a new job (and my first job in the IT field - been looking to make the change). Its kind of a mix of helpdesk (setting up users, etc) and going through tickets to recreate issues with the company's software to pass up to engineering. I've tried to prepare myself as much as I can. I've got a Windows Server cert so I'm familiar with Active Directory, I've tried to familiarize myself with JIRA, SQL (since I know they use some SQL commands), and ITIL/ITSM stuff. I guess I'm just worried I can't hack it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Luckily its almost primarily ticket support (recreating the issues). Apparently on average they take around 5 phone calls a person a week.

But otherwise, glad to be with you in hell.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
In one week I'm starting a help desk / network support job and every day I get more and more nervous

Seems like a good job with nice people and pay, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm not going to cut it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I did and I'm just going to try to go in relaxed, take notes, listen, and do what you guys have said...

I am def overthinking it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

Imposter Syndrome is a thing, and it seems like IT has it more than most.

Usually it goes like this:

"Hm, I can't believe how easy this is and how much they're paying me to do it"
"Wait, something's wrong. It's supposed to be hard. Why isn't it hard?"
"Maybe... maybe I don't know this stuff and even though it looks easy to me, I'm probably completely overlooking the real problem because I'm not smart enough."
"I'm a fraud. Any day now, someone is going to totally call me on my poo poo"
"My stomach hurts."

Don't worry. You're not dumb, or they wouldn't have hired you. It'll take some time to get into the groove, but you'll do fine.

You have no idea how much better this makes me feel, I tell my younger family going to college about imposter syndrome all the time. Never occurred to me I might be in for a lifetime of it, haha

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Methanar posted:

It's 5 minutes from an aboriginal reservation.

:yikes:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im in the same boat as you, im going from being an incredibly low paid office drone to a somewhat better paid IT drone

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I called this person and idiot because they are an idiot. People have been plenty patient and have given out well thought out advice. There is a point where coddling obviously isn't the answer and this is getting there fast. I mean jesus christ, this is dilbert level of dumb right here.

It is to the point where this person should just post to E/N and get it over with.

:yikes:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've been at my new job for 2 weeks, I finally have a job I don't hate going into :toot:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

metavisual posted:

Give it time! :)

oh I know things aren't always going to be perfect but

I was an office drone before, went back and finished a 2nd bachelors in IT so the job pays more, I have more freedom, I can do computer-y stuff instead of processing paperwork all day, I generally can leave when my shift is over and turn my brain off (unless there is a big thing like Office365 getting pushed out), I get a salary and if I go over 40 hours a week I get overtime no questions asked

whereas before I got paid half as much, routinely worked 60 hours with no additional pay, did stuff I hate more, and had to constantly check my email when I was off work

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
3 week trip report

I work in a really nice office with good coworkers. My boss has so far supported me when I got pushback from other departments. I'm getting adequate training. Its almost all tickets investigating bugs in their software and maybe 2 calls a day per person. I picked a good first job to get into the IT field with based on the horror stories in this thread.

Also I can leave when my shift is done and I've been told that they respect that people go home and have a family life. Once every 6 weeks I'm on call and I get overtime for every minute I go over 40 hours.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 28, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So I've been at this job for about 4 weeks now. I'm loving this drat place. My boss even is awesome.

My bosses boss goes through open tickets, closed tickets, etc. My bosses boss reopened a ticket I had closed because it was filed too early, I explain why, and still get a bit of pushback (nothing rude at least!) My boss goes to bat for me in a meeting between the two and I'm allowed to close it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol at people unironically defending the use of H1Bs as they are currently used

disney: we cant get the professionals we need, lets get some people some H1Bs, lay off the employees literally already doing the job we claim we can't get employees for, and literally force those employees to train the workers or they don't get their severance package

yea H1Bs as they are currently used own and are just part of :freep: market forces :freep:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That sounds pretty much the same except with a middleman

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

That's sophistry.

Disney replacing workers by hiring H1Bs by proxy. By using HCL and/or Cognizant, Disney is able to skirt any H1B abuse allegations from the Dept. of Labor. They can claim, truthfully, that they simply contracted out their IT dept and their current staff is redundant (and more expensive). Prior to the cutover, the Managed Service Provider can hire H1B with the excuse they are needed to fill the positions Disney needs, because the only people that meet the job descriptions are still employed at Disney. It's a loving shell game.

:agreed:

If you are ok with the current state of H1Bs you are doing some amazing mental gymnastics

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

evol262 posted:

lol at xenophobia masquerading as outrage.

Disney doesn't need to prove they can't get workers for that job unless they're h1b dependent, which they almost certainly are not.

This whole situation sucks, but it's not the evil H1Bs. It's the lovely company that wants to help their bottom line.

Also, :jerkbag: comments don't address whether or not you think offering $60k+ to the H1Bs (which would also let them skip proving the job can be filled in the US) is reasonable. Disney almost certainly made an effort to reduce the costs of their workforce (either operationally or through salary reductions) and was rebuffed or failed. We're in a high-paying industry, but replacing workers with H1Bs making $60k (if they are a dependent employer) isn't really low-wage H1B scabbing.

HCL and Cognizant are almost certainly H1B-dependent employers, and are required to also inquire whether or not that H1B would displace a US worker. Displacement is a 3 month window before and afterwards. You cannot lay off your entire IT department and replace them with H1Bs the next week. Or the next month. Unless you're paying their replacements at least $60k. It isn't a shell game. Please see one of the many fact sheets on why this thread is wrong about labor laws, again.

Counterpoint: shut up

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also lol at basically saying if you think H1Bs are bad you are racist, get out of here with that poo poo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also I'm not against H1Bs themselves but it needs a huge loving overhaul, but that probably means I'm 'xenophobic'

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I am hard pressed to find someone that isn't concerned about both. :iiam:

Yeah, who here concerned about H1B abuse isn't also concerned about lack of worker protections lmao

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I believe he's saying not to focus on the H1B workers themselves (who among us wouldn't do the same thing coming from a low-income country?), but rather the companies that abuse the H1B system. Same way the problem isn't illegal immigrants who are trying to feed their families, but the companies and farmers that are looking the other way to save a few bucks on labor costs.

There's an unfortunate amount of :argh: Indians :argh: in IT, when they're being exploited as much as anyone.

e: That, and if there was solid union backing and other worker protections in place, skilled immigration would be less of a concern for individual workers and a net good for the economy.

if someone is mad at an Indian person for trying to better their life with a decent paying job then they are pretty terrible people imho

i think evol seems to think I'm :freep: my jobs :freep: but it couldnt be further from the truth, if anything i am for a much more open way for people to come and live in America coupled with better worker protections for those working a job trying to support their families

i dont get why this has to be a "if you dont love h1bs you are a xenophobic racist"

eonwe fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 21, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you guys are thinking of a workplace as a job where people come together as a unit to do a job

thats not what a workplace is

a workplace is basically adult kindergarden

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I've taken a mental health day today if only because I'm at a loss for what I want to do with myself. For the past two years I've been doing Desktop and Helpdesk support for a few different employers. It seems that no matter what I do I can't really get any satisfaction in anything I do on a day to day basis because it's quite simply apply bandaid move onto next issue. Oh you're not moving fast enough because you're balls deep in an issue, too bad here's another. I'm at the point where I'm switching off as soon as I come in the door and go home just kinda lifeless like I'm all used up. It's been great for getting myself back up to speed after my last job turned out to be "You don't have access to anything important, ever" and desktop rebuilding simulator 2014.

My commute round trips to about 3 hours what with a NJ Transit bus and walking across midtown Manhattan and I work an offset 1pm to 10 pm shift. Monday-Friday. I think I need to branch into a sysadmin or network admin role if I want to avoid this talk to angry stockbroker burnout that I feel everyday because my passion is in systems, not iPhones.

I'm hesitant to search for a new job cause it probably looks absolutely terrible on my resume, but I can't really be arsed to stick it out for at least a year. I'm also considering quitting, going back to the local community college and getting an associates in gen ed to get the checkbox of "Degree Y/N" filled in just a little while getting a CCNA and MCSA Server 2012 nailed out in time for me to graduate next summer. I'm just afraid what an employer would think of the employment gap.

I got my CCNA and MCSA Server 2012 and I found my certifications helped me get interviews. It didn't get me job offers, but it got me in the door. I kind of felt like my certifications were a way of showing potential employers that I'm reasonably competent and have a basic understanding of the relevant technology. Also, if you have a 3 hour commute and the job is that bad, then gently caress "it looks terrible on my resume." You aren't bound in servitude to an employer, they definitely don't have the same loyalty to you. Do whats best for you. If you get a question in an interview its easy to explain away why you might be leaving a job. Obviously don't say you are miserable and it turns you into a zombie, but its easy enough to explain.

It honestly cannot hurt at all to look for another job and even interview, whether you go back to school or not. I went back to school to get a 2nd degree in IT because I was miserable, and the only thing that kept me from being completely miserable was applying for jobs for a bit of hope that the job I was at wasn't forever. If you interview and you don't get the job you want then keep working at it. I was miserable every day at work, but I had goals of getting X certifications, finishing my IT degree, applying for jobs, etc and it helped. A lot.

Do whats best for you. Going to a job that makes you happier isn't going to ruin your chances for a job, and if it does, the job probably wasn't going to make you happier.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
By the way - I was in a similar job to helldesk - raising people's rent. Nobody calls and is happy about their rent incase and I couldn't get any satisfaction either, so I 100% get where you are coming from. I was in that situation too and getting out of it was the best thing I've probably done in my life as far as my happiness goes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Used to be 3-12 about a half a month ago. Worst thing about that is if I didn't get out on time I'd have to wait for a 140am express or take a 1am local bus that would arrive at or around the same time back at my home . The thing that pisses me off the most is that I'm in a role that's pretty much "Yes sir, no sir, right away good sir, yes sir I'm aware I'm an idiot. K-mart that's a little harsh. Yes sir I understand" I just have no control over anything from my workflow because I can mummify my house with the amount of proceedures that we are to robotically follow at the helpdesk level.

now that you've explained more

either go back to school or find a new job, thats not how you want to live

Don't hem and haw about it, make a decision tonight to improve your life. You don't have to decide WHAT to do tonight, just start taking steps toward making a change. Look at programs you might want to do at school, start getting your resume together, something. Not every employer is like the one you are working for.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It sounds like you already have helldesk experience, so don't discount yourself if you were looking at jobs. Someone in this thread actually told that its their job to filter out people that aren't qualified. I didn't apply for senior level roles, but otherwise in general I just applied for jobs. You've got a step up in that you actually suffered through hellesk and have actual IT experience. You probably aren't going to have 1-2 years experience doing X, because they ask for very specific things in job requirements. They are probably asking for their ideal candidate even if it says minimum requirements.

Still, pick up on what they are asking for. If they mention SQL in their job description, then go and study SQL for a little bit so you can truthfully say that you can do some basic queries, etc. I think the thing that got me my current job wasn't that I had a lot of experience (I had none) but I cared enough to try to learn as much as I could on my own prior to the interview.

basically - be more confident in yourself IMO

eonwe fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 8, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lampey posted:

What matters to employers most is demonstrating your value to the company during the hiring process. An employment gap isnt a huge deal and I would try to learn what you can from your current position. You have to look out for yourself first. That commute is brutal.

Shouldn't this be done in writing? I can't imagine many people stayed with this job for long.

Of course the actual agreement is done in writing, but people always want to call and negotiate their rental amount. I stayed at it 4 years and I was the only one doing it during that time.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What I've learned from working in IT for a few months: its fun but nobody will follow directions and the IT execs actively like ruining performance in departments

Right now we are getting a new ticketing system that is worse and if our time logged isn't 7 to 8 hours a day we hear about it never mind the fact that there are calls walkups just looking over tickets etc that don't necessarily have a ticket to file time to

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
being on call is bad

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you guys had to pick a ticketing system, any system in the world, what would it be?

We're on JIRA (which I think works fine, but I get why they are moving away from it based on our needs), and they are looking at Service Manager and its loving abysmal and I'm trying to sandbag it and get a good one

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alder posted:

I've been looking at my college's job board for listings and not sure if I'm just extremely or very under qualified for IT:

Welp, I guess there's another 50-100 other listing to get through too. Keep in mind that the original company wanted newly graduated students in the opening.

my thoughts on all of that is that almost all of that stuff is 'would likes' except for SQL skills even though it says required

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

Inform them that using a bug tracker as a self-service IT ticket system sucks rear end but the Service Desk addon for JIRA exists and is really good

Yep we use the Service Desk addon and I like it a lot. But its coming from on high that we are changing to something else. I'm mostly hoping that by coming up with a suggestion of our own that we may have a bit of input.

KS posted:

I'd pick Service Now, but honorable mentions to Zendesk and Fresh Service. Service Now needs heavy customization for its automation powers to be worth the bill.

Cool, I'll check them out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

we may get to kill the bad ticketing system and look at others, they are actually interested in Zendesk