Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

mattfl posted:

We used to have people enter P2 tickets that page out the on call person for broken mice, on weekends, when there are literally dozens of other computers they could use. We had to have our IT director sit down with the nursing director to tell them it is not worth sending a tech to the hospital at $75/hr(our after hours/on call pay rate, we are hourly techs, yay real overtime in IT!) to fix a broken mouse and if they continued to do it he’d start charging the department that money.

They stopped doing that shortly after lol.

On the other hand, how would they know is the mouse that's the problem and not WW3 started? Better be safe than sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

^^what this guy said. Fake it till you make it.
Or just be up front about your limitations with the guy and maybe he'd be willing to let you learn.

Or ... just learn. Are they working on 1950's mainframes there? Perfect, learn whatever there is to learn about that poo poo and keep them running.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
When I first started in the workforce (20-ish years ago) my team lead told me in no uncertain terms: no profanity in the code. At all. Ever. Until then, in school projects I always had gently caress, suckMyBalls and other crap littering the code. No professor ever mentioned that to me, maybe they never read it?.
Sticking to that rule was not that hard and surely it saved me from quite a few embarrassments over the years.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

When you're trying to figure out why this GOD drat THING won't execute, even though you pored over the syntax a million times. You've hit up stack overflow, you've talked to colleagues, you even beg people on random forums and this fucker SHOULD work, but isn't.

And then you find, in the 11th hour, it's some bullshit whitespace issue because your editor, which was recently updated, reverted to using TAB instead of 4 SPACE for indents.

I think at that point it shows admirable restraint to limit cursing to just the comment sections.

Oh curse, by all means, it makes you feel better. But not in writing :).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Sometimes it's okay to swear in the comments.

It definitely is if your name is Carmack.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

GreenNight posted:

So I spent quite a bit of time writing up a report about why moving certain aspects of our business to the cloud would be a waste of time and money. I had figures, research, cost analysis, etc and gave it to my boss (IT Director) and he gave it to the president of one of our subsidiaries, since he's been pushing cloud since he loving started for some goddamned reason.

His reply: "The cloud is what everyone is moving to, are you ignorant?".

Jackass.

You are wasting company's money, are you ignorant?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Economy is doing great.

... if you’re rich.

Well, everyone knows that it is only your fault for being poor, so stop being poor and the economy is doing just fine.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

mewse posted:

From my limited understanding it is going to be a big deal. It's going to allow people to break out of their hypervisor which means all the cloud services could get pwned. It's all being dealt with in secret right now so we'll have to wait and see.

Not only VM breakout (which is bad enough), but one could envision a javascript based attack where a web page could execute code in ring 0. All theoretical so far, but i wonder for how long.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Vargatron posted:

So it's mainly just a "your credit card has a new way of getting stolen" type thing?

I see it as: so now your UEFI (intel ME?) can be my bitch, mining buttcoins and you cannot do anything about it (short of replacing the motherboard). And all because you visited that website that promised you some boobs.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Edit ^^^ as far as I've seen, nothing to do with UEFI, as it's a kernel exploit. You're thinking of something else.

No, it's a fun way to get your "b0xxzor pwn3ds".

Full remote privilege escalation from what I understand.

I'm not thinking of something else, but strictly kernel. If I can get code running with R0 privileges, I can do pretty much anything I want, including (and not limited to) altering the motherboard's UEFI. This bug is just the gateway, the world is open. Of course, this is just speculation as I do not know with 100% certainty what is actually going on. But if the hints that I saw are true, then, well, one can do just about anything (with a moderate amount of effort).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

jaegerx posted:

I vaguely remember that story. Imagine being that badass of a programmer that you just up and write your own cvs over a weekend just to spite someone.
That "someone" to spite were RMS and the likes, they all rushed to say: I told you so!!!!
Now, to be fair, git wasn't born in one weekend. He thought about it for a long time before actually writing anything. And the first thing was completely unusable without perl scripts around it. It took git at least 2 years to become useful for everyday joe. It was, however, useful to the kernel folks pretty much right away.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sickening posted:

When your mother in law buys a house across the street to watch your children so you don’t have to pay for daycare, you get her whatever cable she wants.

When your mother in law buys a house across the street you run. 12 timezones over.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I have been approached by several small business owners in my area (tourist oriented, mostly small business, mostly people who just want basic things to work) about starting an MSP/hosting company catering to the small businesses in the area. think providing web sites and email hosting, focusing on a white glove approach. these are people who are currently paying 200+ a month to people just to update websites that rarely get updated because the people they are paying just want to collect the check.

how stupid/ insane would this be?

It sounds like a quite low risk business. It may not make you Gates level rich, but it can certainly pay at least some bills with minimal effort. I'd say: and what are you waiting for?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Our shop just got a keurig and people have been using the poo poo out of it.

I’m actually going to try and quit because the caffeine is messing with my mood.

Just don't drink coffee after 1PM. Really. Coffee is to wake up not to chug like soda and then wonder why is everyone on edge and not sleeping at night.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Changing the subject, has anybody here worked for Epic? They're reaching out about a position at their datacenter in Wisconsin. I'm sure their contracted positions at hospitals can really suck, but how's the professional environment at HQ?

Any giant red flags to watch for?

As a developer I only heard about them from https://thedailywtf.com/articles/A_Case_of_the_MUMPS . I would not want to touch that place with a 10 mile pole. But, as I said, I'm a developer not IT guy.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I’m at 80%+ travel and the only reason I fly back home is to see family, friends and keep my airline status. Everything from hotel, rental car, food, laundry is paid.

Ideally, I’d like to do this for a few years. It makes saving up for a house incredibly easy and by that I mean saving up for a house.

gently caress mortgages, interest, insurance, etc.

That's ideal. If you can keep it up, more power to you.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I’m single, relatively young with no kids.

The holy trinity.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm old, married, with 2 kids. I am at 0% travel and I haven't had a conversation about anything but my kid for over 2 years.

Which will soon became 10 years, and then 18 years and then 25 and so on. If you let it, your entire life can and will be consumed by the kids. It is the right thing to do in most cases though. They are the most important people in your life so ... it does make sense.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

tomapot posted:

You need a home-office dog to keep you company.

I am loving broken. For 2 months and a half I'm replacing (slowly) the carpet in my house with laminate flooring. Now, whenever I see a picture of a room, the only thing I can look at is the drat floor. Bonus points if its laminate floor, I immediately look for defects, how does it combine with the doors what did the carpenter do iin situation X (if it shows up in the picture). I loving hate floors, laminate in particular, now.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Methanar posted:

Wannabe carpenters Hate This One Weird Trick.

Fixed that for you.
If this experience has taught me anything is that I am many things (some good and some bad), but carpenter is not one of them.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I have several Hill Farmstead beers in my fridge at home from last Labor Day that I cannot think of a good enough special occasion to open. I had at least two good excuses at the end of baseball season but it slipped my mind.

EDIT: If the Olympic Men's Curling final didn't finish at 4AM that would have been perfect for one.

"Holy Tuesday" should be enough of a special occasion. What are you waiting for?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Terrible management.

I'd call it malicious incompetency . Because instead of making that guy less indispensable now you depend on him even more while making him hate your guts. Congratulations, you just hosed yourself.

Sepist posted:

Heh my company found a decent replacement for me but he failed his background check :v:

How do you fail that? Lied about things? Had a police record?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

I'm starting my own business now, and i guarantee that i will hit up tek the first time i need to hire someone. also planning on keeping them in mind when i want to go back to working for someone else.

I just got an email from someone at TEKsystems just today. They must be huge then, since i don;t think we live anywhere close to each other. Which means: there are people and people. My only actual meeting with one of their recruiters happened 5 years ago and she was the recruiter for software people at the office in my town.
While I was saying my experience (what i wrote on the resume) she was just keyword matching on a bunch of jobs that she had.
Me: "I have worked with C++",
She: " Hmm, I see here someone needing a C developer are you familiar?"

Me: "I have built web applications, worked both on the back end and front-end"
Her: "Do you know HTML? Did you do CSS?"

and so on and so forth. Unless you match the exact things shes looking for, nah, not a match. They definitely must have knowledgeable people but they also have ... less so. Do your research before you hire them.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Teksystems is a national recruiter as far as I know.

I live in canada in a 300k people town.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

LOL our company is so anti-alcohol it's hilarious. Don't you dare EVER expense alcohol on a work trip/meal. They're big time assholes about it.

2 years ago my boss and I went on a work trip in Germany for a week. Oh god, the german beer and sausages. All expenses paid, except the last night when me and him just got drunk at the bar. Can't expense 10 beers each without food in one night. Would go again, I tell ya.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sirotan posted:

The end of the meeting was the VP saying she would talk to my boss, and then an hour later me going on two weeks vacation (after working 21 days straight). No one ever said anything else to me about it and I never paid anything back. Pretty much soured my relationship with that VP though, and was the first of several incidents that led me to leaving that job. 5 months later and they still haven't refilled my position. Hope that $12 in beer was worth it.

Unless they're aware that their behaviour is what made you leave, from their point of view you were the one unreasonable. I mean, the way they see it is this: the company policy says to not do X and you did. Who's to blame here? All that other details (working 21 days straight, etc.) are just noise.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

On the phone with a vendor right now, he keeps saying "right?" except not as a question.

I had the same experience with a support person (my cellphone company). I was asking:

Me: Are you guys doing X?
She: Yes?
Me: Do you need me to do anything?
Me: Is that affirmative?

Holy moly that was beyond frustrating.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:hfive:

My 2 weeks paternity leave is gonna start sometime around Aug 1st.
Followed immediately by 250 hours of sick leave.
Which just so happens to precede the 250 hours of vacation I have planned.
Incidentally I think I'll probably be a little tired from all that vacation and I'll probably want to burn through the 100 hours of comp time I've accrued.

That puts be back in the office sometime around Christmas I think...

I'd rather be at work than have no sleep for the next 2 years. But you have to go through it at least once in your life i guess, so ... congratulations and stay strong. And who knows, maybe you'll be part of the lucky few who gets a baby that will sleep 12 hours a night non-stop.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Also Linux will be hosted on a Window’s server for this role

What does that even supposed to mean? What HR monkey wrote that description/requirements?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

It's probably a good idea to replace your 5X as soon as you can. They are basically ticking time bombs.

I have mine since 2014 (or 2015) and other than google loving up bluetooth with every update is working just fine. Well ... developing on one in linux is painful as well, because why would we make 2 linux systems talk with each other seamlessly when we can gently caress it up. But that's on software, not hardware and it's all google's fault. I doubt other phones would behave better (but I could be wrong).

What's wrong with them?

Volguus fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 17, 2018

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Ouch, never heard of the issue (I don't frequent the Android thread in the gadgets forum). So far, knock on wood, it still works.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

If a concert is coming up you want to see hit up your vendors for tickets. Just sort by money spent and text your rep. "Hey did you hear <terrible band> is in town?"

It felt a little wrong to see Nine Inch Nails from box seats. Not so wrong I didn't show up and drink their booze though. (Note: It felt exactly right to see Slayer from the pit. Same rep.)

Can confirm, that's the best way to see a concert (guaranteed free tickets :) ). And as I'm getting older, the box (away from the moshpit), looks very appealing with its free booze.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

fishmech posted:

It's just as hard to do it for Windows, but again with so many more people using them there's way more chances to do so.

The main reason why Linux will have a hard time with viruses is the same reason that makes it "hard" to develop proprietary software for it: it's too drat fragmented. If you write and compile your program in your Ubuntu distro, odds are it will not even run on my Fedora, not to even mention CentOS.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

IE still has superior hooks into Windows. Links to network files, control of Com devices

What website/web portal internal or external would depend on these kind of features? I can see this being needed if one has an application that embeds the IE engine, but otherwise ...

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

If you require me to be in the office I can make them a violation. :v:

(Basically I'm allergic + asthmatic, so you would need to reasonably accommodate me by letting me work remotely or having a dog free area, including the various amenities. It would have to be more dog free than the smoking areas in restaurants of olden times.)

Hmm, would you apply though to such a company? Would you reasonably expect them to go through the trouble of accommodating you? If you're one in a million (the last COBOL guy on the planet) I supposed they would, but otherwise I don't really see it as being even a reasonable request. It would be logical had the dogs policy be introduced after you were hired, or it was deliberately kept hidden from you during the hiring process, but if they were open about it from the beginning I don't think anyone would change for you.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

He may not be a good fit there culturally, but (in the US at least) an employee is under no obligation to bring up any required medical accommodations during the interview process, and any company large enough to be covered by the ADA is explicitly prohibited from asking about required accommodations except as it relates to specific job related functions or using that information towards the decision to hire or not. Again things may be different in Canada, but in the US someone hired with full knowledge of that dog policy could come in and make reasonable accommodation requests on their first day - and the employer would have to work with them or face potential liability.

In Canada probably the law is even more worker-friendly (I would expect it to), but starting your new job with policy-changing demands isn't going to make you any friends. At the end of the day ... would you even want to work there?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

This zany idea might come as a shock, but maybe equal opportunity employment laws aren't there due to people from minority populations swimming in a boundless sea of opportunities.

e: AreWeDrunkYet covered this with a lot less vitriol :)

I see the equal opportunity laws as protecting minorities (and in general those in need of protecting) from serious discrimination, not poo poo like dogs or cats or whatever. By serious I mean gender/religion/skin color/nationality. "I don't like dogs" is ... just petty.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sickening posted:

I work at a company that has an unwritten rule that we hire fit people first. I sat in a meeting with our CFO where he said fat people aren't compatible with our company culture. His direct reports are pressured to have their teams wear active wear during the day. Yoga pants are basically the company uniform. But we are also one of those companies that outlaw smoking/tobacco entirely and won't hire you if are one.

This honestly hasn't been an issue (outside of ethics) except for the technology division. It seems finding fit developers, QA, etc is tough work.

That's just lovely. I suppose if you want to sexually harass your employees it's better for them to be good looking and fit.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Do y’all ever go through and clean up your LinkedIn? What’s your criteria for it? I’m thinking I want to unfollow everyone and then look at these people with only single connections to me that are probably someone I accepted and never checked on. Indians love to do that to me. I don’t know you bro. I’m glad you’re looking for a visa here in the states.

I used to only accept people that I know/worked with but since I saw on these forums one day people just going all out with 500+ connections, bah, gently caress it. I accept everyone now (almost, indians that I really don't know and that are not even recruiters, gently caress them).
Not going to connect with others, just accepting invitations. I went from 100 to over 250 in a span of a couple of months (maybe less). My goal is to reach 501 and then i'll again ignore everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

I get 4 PTO days a year and a week of vacation after 12 months. But I don't have to live in Canada, so... :shrug:

And you have FREEEEDOOOMMM. Can't beat that.