Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My commute is ~4km of road, according to google maps. I've been driving a Golf GTI, but with summer coming I've just picked up a little Honda CBF250 to commute on. I'd walk, but I like sleeping in too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Recruiter question: I'm in a relatively small industry, and I've recently come across a job posting that interests me a lot. Unfortunately I'm very worried that if I submit my CV directly word will get back to my current company. Is there a protocol for this? I know a few recruiters who operate in this industry, would they be able to put me in with some kind of anonymity? Or is this just something I have to wear.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks, I bit the bullet and submitted it anyway, since it was posted directly on a job site by the company itself rather than an agency. I just noted in my cover letter that confidentiality was appreciated given the size of our industry. Not much more I can do than that I think.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goobernoodles posted:

On a side note, anyone recommend or not recommend Fortinet Fortigate UTM's? I'm going to kick the hosted firewall to the curb soon. Didn't see a networking thread. Looking for an intuitive GUI, easy site-to-site VPN setups with cheap models for construction job sites, and the ability to have 2nd WAN connection as well as a potential for having two in HA.

Adorai is right, they are great, both feature set, ease of administration and price.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:yotj:

I now earn more than daf, my life goals are complete.

Very interested to see how my resignation is handled in a few hours.

Lots of good advice from here and some thanks to resumes2interviews for getting my CV halfway there. Thanks goons.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As this role means moving interstate I won't be entertaining any counter offers from them, so I'm expecting the latter. I've been in this job for 6 years and it's become clear to move up I must move on.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Definitely agree on counter offers generally, extra money here isn't going to help my career progression at all.

Besides, we just had our annual reviews and it'd be laughable to suddenly be worth a lot more than the standard indexed raise I received two weeks ago.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, that went OK. I'm on good personal terms with my boss, so he understands my reasons at a personal level. He did ask for 8 weeks notice but that doesn't fit my relocation plans so they'll have to deal with 4.

It's going to be a busy 4 weeks!

BurgerQuest fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 19, 2014

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It changes due to tenure (<1yr, no notice, <2yrs, 1 week notice, 2yrs+, 2 weeks notice min). 4 weeks fits my timeline and it's going to be hard enough handing over to people without the same skill set as it is. It's great timing for me, but terrible for them to have a chance of hiring someone this time of year. I feel bad about that, but I can't help it.

I'll finish just before Christmas, be a bum for two weeks and then take 10 days or so to enjoy the drive across Australia.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pockyless posted:

I've been using a server with some good gigabit nics and vyos (http://vyos.net/wiki/Main_Page) for my office router. I am super satisfied with it, but its CLI only for config.

Pretty sure EdgeOS is just a fork of VyOS (not that this changes anything).

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Misogynist posted:

The only thing better than working two $50k jobs is working three $50k jobs.

Hah! SA needs a like button because that's all I want to do to this post.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My last day has arrived. Feels good. I will miss the work social group, tomorrow is going to be a very bad hangover.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this whole dhcp chat not some confusion about ip-helper ?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Misogynist posted:

I'm laughing at the notion that InfoBlox's API was "actual." You mean that thing with binary blobs called from Perl, where each successive firmware release is incompatible with all other API library versions, and the only way to test that your scripts will continue working is to break your cluster and try a new version pair? I've heard it got better and added a stable REST-style API recently, but gently caress that thing a few years ago.

Server 2012 as a DHCP server is amazing for no other reason than that PowerShell is not a complete piece of poo poo (and the cmdlets are actually, in general, rather good). The only thing keeping it from going from good to great as a complete solution is the total lack of IPAM features.

I thought there was an IPAM role?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/dn268500.aspx

disclaimer: i am not a windows admin.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harry Lime posted:

Looking for some advice from any Aussie goons in the thread. My wife got a job in Sydney and starts mid-January. I'm staying state side until sometime early March and am planning on throwing applications out left and right as soon as she has a local address I can put on my resume. I know what job sites to use in the states to find work but its not really clear to me which ones I'm best off using for Australia. Are sites like Seek the best place to look or are there any IT specific job boards I should be looking at? Do recruiters in Australia enjoy a better rep then they seem to in the US?

I used seek to find my most recent position and I'm about to move interstate for it. It's where most companies and recruiters are going to stick a job advertisement, even if it isn't the only place.

What sector are you looking to find work in?

Another way I've found useful is following companies that do work in fields that interest me on LinkedIn, quite often they will put job listings via that medium as well.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Another job offer in Sydney came in... And I only started this job a week ago... The offer is slightly less dollars but at a much larger established organisation with a lot more opportunity for upward mobility than the SMB I'm currently working for has... Argh. I guess better doing this to them now than in 6 months or more...

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheep posted:

We went from HP ProBooks to these Lenovo laptops with quite possibly the worst touchpad in the history of mankind. The entire touchpad is the mouse button, so when you click, the entire touchpad moves, inevitably moving the cursor along with it (generally down since the hinge is up at the top I guess). How anyone thought that would be anything but infuriating, I have no idea.

Just give me two buttons if you can't do pressure sensitivity or something. It's 2015, we've had mice figured out for how many decades now?

I have one of these (Thinkpad Yoga) for my work laptop (not my choice) but I certainly can't see how you're having that problem? Maybe if your finger is actually moving when you depress the pad.

I have a Macbook Air at home nd don't find switching to the Yoga touchpad an issue at all. I did take some time to configure it for tap to click, two finger (anywhere) right click, two finger scroll etc like I prefer on my MBA, and it's a lot better than most windows touchpads I've used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No, I have that exact same issue on my thinkpad. It's very minimal, but if, for example, I'm rapidly clicking on a small button, it will shift enough to make me miss it. Click and dragging is also pretty awful with it. Not unusable, but terrible because they had this poo poo figured out for so long that they really don't have an excuse for shifting to a worse design.

:iiam: