Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

GOOCHY posted:

The money is good but it is not free, by any means. Most of these environments are an absolute pain to work in and the government people are terrible to work for. Be careful what you wish for.

Govt environments are the worst + you are using about a decade old hardware unless you got into a real sweet gig. It's ALMOST as painful as being HIPAA compliant in a cloud infrastructure (kill me plz).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

poo poo I want a glass that says that with my company logo.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

It could be the larches memorial edition: "it doesn't concern you"

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Hey man I don't change poo poo on a Friday.

No change Friday is for real. Don't commit, promote, tweak, reboot, adjust rules, etc.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Kashuno posted:

Today is my first time interviewing someone and I have no idea what I'm going to ask them! :confuoot:

A good go to is make them explain what they'd do in a scenario with a whiteboard. Maybe it's a task you've been thinking about automating that is just busy work for a new tech.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Kashuno posted:

ah so the less fucks I give the higher my IT career will soar. Thanks thread

I've used this advice through 2 promotions and a team transfer.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Got a "Merry Christmas" text from a supervisor.

Not falling for it.

I should have sent a merry christmas pager duty alert. I'll make a note to myself to do that next year to the poor sob on call

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Working in IT: We even support the mis-post IT questions.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thanks Ants posted:

My colleague installs firewalls and doesn't document interface addresses :smith:

Security through obscurity textbook example.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Confluence / JIRA / Fisheye integration is really nice but gently caress if I can find anything nowadays. We have about 1000 developers using it for 5+ years and it is a giant stinking shithole. It needs cleaned up but nobody is jumping on that grenade.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

myron cope posted:

Our director really really likes documentation, and I don't mind doing it, even if I'm the only one who is going to use it--it keeps me from having to ask how to do something a bunch of times. After the first time or two I'm usually just asking to make sure I didn't forget any important steps, so documenting kills two birds with one stone.

My issue in writing documentation is I don't know what (technical) level to write it for. I mostly try to think about a super dumb "IT person" trying to do this stuff in a DR scenario. So in turn I do them with what is probably insulting to everyone else on my team. I figure that's better than having it be too vague.

I write documentation that I hope I could grab any random person in the office and have them help me with just by reading the steps if I give them temporary credentials. I'd rather be to verbose than too vague like you said.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Get a Foscam that e-mails him on motion. The 3 step Cisco solution is to hard.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If you're past the junior level, the degree won't really matter for any more technical roles. You could probably be en enterprise architect with a high school diploma.

If your ambitions are in management though, you will want a degree. It's more of a check box than anything (especially for an internal promotion), but the reputation of the school can make a difference if you're interviewing with people who don't know you.

This. I just got blocked going into management by not having a bachelors degree but I'm a senior software engineer.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

KillHour posted:

My presentation/interview is in 2 hrs and 45 mins. I'm just twiddling my thumbs and in that time I think I may have a heart attack.

So... How's everybody doin?

Tired, We started deploying to Tokyo today and I learned that our deployment process has 0 documentation and most of the developers have no idea what they are doing. Just ask "the guy who did it last time" (who left the company 4 months ago) to do what he did last time.

You should probably play some video games to take your mind off the presentation, it'll be fine.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

One thing I miss about my last job is that I could drink if I was stuck there all night fixing whatever thing broke that day.

I ran out of desk scotch yesterday. I added a JIRA ticket to myself to get more.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

On my life, I can not get this over eager project manager to understand why she will not be getting domain admins. She just wants to help as much as possible! Why won't I let her help!?!

She only wants to help because she cares. SHE BELIEVES IN THE PRODUCT!

(or is trying really hard not to get fired)

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

If you love the tech side so much I'd think hard about it. Managing people can be a huge chunk of time. The IT here likes to think that good technical people make good managers which isn't always the case. I know my boss regrets picking up 2 direct reports because it cut his tech side by like 40%

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

vibur posted:

Why and how are you rolling your servers?

They like their bellies rubbed.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

H110Hawk posted:

We're reasonably happy with Sumologic, but writing queries to be MapReduce friendly is not always super obvious.

Same. Can you start pressuring them for multiple accounts per login and getting the Japan and Germany regions online? Just saying ....

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

a dynamic iptables manipulation daemon, written in Python, and backed by ZooKeeper :psyboom:

Sweet baby Jesus in a birchbark canoe.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Inspector_666 posted:

Right?!

People were laughing at Facebook for spending a billion dollars on "a dumb photo app" but holy poo poo they bought some smart as gently caress engineers (also a zillion more users.)

My brain is having a hard time wrapping around this because the only context I know Zookeeper being used in is for our Kafka setup. How did they use zookeeper to support the iptables daemon?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Vulture Culture posted:

Writing code and maintaining infrastructure are the same thing

[fires grenade over wall and covers ears]

Did you make sure to follow the playbook for that grenade?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Inspector_666 posted:

I've been streaming Spring Training baseball games all month, and there's another dude over in QA who watches Dota.

I hope you also put in your time off request for Opening Monday. :getin:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Dear <whoever>,

I am good because <reasons>.

I want this jobs (<-- Edit: Not intentional but leaving it) because <reasons>.

Your company is appealing because <reasons>.

Hire me.

Sincerely,
<name>

I agree with this. I don't want a short story in a cover letter, let's keep it prompt mmmk?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

adorai posted:

I think this is how people end up working 60 hours a week when they are salary. Do your best to avoid that poo poo. I told my boss that my new years resolution this year was to decline any meeting that should just be an email, and it's gone very well so far.

That's a good way to quantify it and I should start using that. My criteria I've been using which is pretty sweeping declines is that I decline a meeting unless it has an agenda attached to it that seems relevant to my actual job duties. gently caress you and the 20 minutes we waste talking about unrelated bullshit if there is no agenda (sometimes if there is).

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

flosofl posted:

It's enough for a boat, but the wife wants a trip to Europe.

:golfclap:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You're being facetious, but I've never been nervous at work, I don't think. Someone should regale us with a story about a time that you thought, terrified, to yourself, "well that's it, I'm getting fired". As long as you're okay now and we can look back and laugh. If you're posting from the library, please don't.

The time I pulled out a cross connect at 4am that was labeled as going to an empty rack and accidentally killed long distance service to 5 states for our customers for about 3 hours. By the time the pager alert went off I already had all the wiring removed and the block label off. That was a fun night of punching down all those blocks to figure out where it was built at.

Edit: reduced outage time, the fear still makes it seem longer in my head.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

It's so long. It has to be real.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The thing that bugs me about the new relic app is that I can't see custom dashboards. Am I just missing something or is it not built in?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

We use PureCloud Collaborate. Been good to us so far but it is definitely playing feature catchup to some of the other competitors.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, this is the hot seat you don't want to be on and I don't think, if you were anywhere near it, you'd even consider for a second trying to :smuggo: your way out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcW0x_4iVMA

They cut the best part of this video off in the segment. After he gets done having an absolutely amazing meltdown at this lady who obviously doesn't know what is going on they cut away from him and he mumbles "Unbelievable" in a pissed off voice into his still on microphone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNO7BihmRXI
1:09:15

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Hughmoris posted:

Recently given an option of WFH for one day, or working four 10-hr days. Decisions decisions...

4 10hr days hands down. WFH usually means you work longer as an overall average.

This is probably a double post.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Methanar posted:

The trick is to make sure you're getting paid in company stock so you can cash out when you hit it big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPJM57TrC2M

Rule #1: Get the money first Rule #2: Don't forget to get the money.

The thing you have to watch out for with "company stock" is that you don't get into some weird golden handcuff situation. I had a co-worker smugly tell me once I took stock options and RSUs that I couldn't go anywhere else because of all the money I'd lose. Yeah, ok guy let me base my willingness to stay at this company on that "magic money" that might or might not happen, thanks for the nice perk though.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

It's good news for you if you only have test and prod. We have dev, test, stage, prod, sandbox, infrastructure, and QA (not to be confused with test!). Our dev environment at this point actually can block prod deploys because of the pipeline setup.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

ElGroucho posted:

Can you guys and ladies remind me of all the reasons not to go from system admin to service desk manager? The money is tempting.

Customers

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Eonwe posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. I just don't feel like I know enough, so even if I studied and passed it I would feel kind of like a faker.

Well the RHCSA is a practical exam so you can't really study your way through it like a Cisco test. Your test is sitting down at an environment that was loaded with broken poo poo and then fixing it when they give you the scenarios of what is happening.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I went back and finished a general
Studies degree. The Tupac class, rap entrepreneurship, and children's literature were really the highlights for me. I also took a life after college class that was borderline bad with money thread worthy. This has had no effect on my career but my job paid for it so gently caress it.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

CLAM DOWN posted:

What the gently caress kind of school did you go to

Big Ten state university. Holla if ya hear me!

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

high six posted:

So, thanks everyone. I am gonna take a week or two off to get my head screwed on right and then start to look for stuff. Mental health needs to come first.

Arrested DevOps just did a "CareerOps" podcast that wasn't bad if you want to see your next steps after getting fired / how to recover and get back out there.
CareerOps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

CLAM DOWN posted:

guys, they're making a movie about IT! It's about....us!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpBNlhcV2ak

:|

Stop interrupting I'm hacking lives