Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

LionYeti posted:

Just finished the group project to update 200 computers to Windows 10, took the better part of all year.

I have just started looking into doing the same thing to get all our 7 computers up to windows 10. My dream is to push the upgrade out through SCCM and have it all magically work. But i suspect this dream will be shattered once I start testing and I'll resort to drinking scotch instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

Zaepho posted:

SCCM is good, but do a wipe and load with USMT to drop the user data back down and MDT Application Mapping to get the user's apps back. it's not easy but it's worth it in the long run when you can do New Build, Replace (hardware A to hardware B) and Refresh (wipe and load on the same hardware). Once you're on Win10 you can use In-Place upgrade Task Sequences to avoid wipe and load for keeping up with the WaaS treadmill but the other capabilities are still huge.

Thanks for the advice much appreciated! I suspected that wipe and load would be the way to do it. I recall setting up refresh jobs for windows 7 a couple of years years back (back up the user profile data reinstall windows 7 then copy the profile back over) so I'll look at trying to do something similar for the 7 to 10 upgrade.

As the guy who has to deals with SCCM where i work i find that while it dose the job its just too finicky in too many ways. Being a full time SCCM Admin sounds like pure sadness.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
When I did consultancy work one of my clients CEOs asked for a report of the mail access of there in house IT Manager. Turned out he had given himself access to all the other managers email accounts and was reading there emails. Unsurprisingly he was let go shortly thereafter.
You also see this kind of thing a lot in SMBs where the in house IT guys have given them selves full access to various staffs mail boxes or have set up an account that has full access. Generally there argument was it makes doing support easier and allows them to fix problems without interrupting the staff. Really makes my head hurt some times as 95% of the things they said they said they needed the access for could easily be done without it.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

chin up everything sucks posted:

Our C level staff have the ability to set up delegation and calendar access for themselves. But they just tell their executive assistants "hey, have IT give you access to my email and calendar" and the assistants reach out to us.

We can't set it up without logging into the users account, which means we have to give ourselves full access to a C level persons account.

I cringe every time I have to do this, and with the constant reshuffling of who each admin supports it's a never ending problem.

If it helps you can set this stuff up through powershell using the add-MailboxFolderPermission command (assuming your not using an old version of exchange).
So if you wanted to give some one editor and delegate access to the CEO's calendar for example you could do something like this:
add-MailboxFolderPermission $CEO:\Calendar -user $USER -AccessRights editor -SharingPermissionFlags Delegate

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
I am currently going through our IT processes and trying to tighten things up and cut down on wasted time and I had an email question. Any one got any good recommendations for dealing with password protected attachments in emails? As a password protected file is encrypted our mail system can’t scan it for malicious content. We get a fair number of password protected PDF files and the like sent to us that our mail system can’t properly scan. The current work flow:
Email is quarantined.
Support guy checks with the user to find out the password for the attachment
They open the attachment on isolated VM and scan it.
They email an unencrypted version of the PDF through the mail system so it gets scanned (we use Mimecast for our mail filtering).
Assuming there are no flags they release it.
This process seems incurably time consuming for our support staff and I am not comfortable with them viewing these emails unless they have to. On the other hand I would rather not let attachments through unscanned as it effectively bypasses one layer of security. Just wondering how other people deal with this kind of thing.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
That was an interesting read.

quote:

"People can't multitask very well, and when people say they can, they're deluding themselves," said neuroscientist Earl Miller. And, he said, "The brain is very good at deluding itself."

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Find any API in the world you can hit, and use powershell as your connector (invoke-restmethod or invoke-webrequest). Dig through the results and turn them into a nice pscustomobject showing the details you care most about. If you're feeling cool, use data from that object to make a separate API call and format those results too.

Once I learned how to operate on the API level for a lot of software / hardware, automating work has never been easier. I'm in high demand at my job to help other admins automate their common GUI tasks or make batch operations from templates.

It will make you absolutely invaluable in IT.

Thanks for posting this. I haven't really looked into API calls all that much in the past but spent some time last night messing around with invoke-restmethod and this stuff is really cool and interesting.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
80k as a Systems Admin for a law firm in Vancouver. The job is low stress (surprising for a law firm) and for the most part as long as I am making progress on my projects and there are no major issues I get left alone. I spend most of my days trying to automate my self out of a job using powershell.
Started Job searching for new work in earnest recently because although I like the place I work I want to find something a bit more engaging and challenging.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

TheFace posted:

Hey law firm buddy. I work remote for a global law firm with home base in Richmond Virginia (I live in Phoenix AZ where we don't even have an office). Key to stress free life in a law firm is get high enough up that you don't deal with actual lawyers. I'm a "Senior Enterprise Systems Engineer" which really just means the people I deal with daily are other IT people. It's a pretty bad issue if I end up having to deal directly with a lawyer at all.

You defiantly speak the truth mate. I work in the same room as our support chaps and I would not wish there jobs on any one. Most our lawyers are not too bad although they are a rather odd lot but there are a few that have that have that special combination of impatience, entitlement and inability to listen that make them a truly errr unique group to try and support.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

K salary advice question

I'm a consultant and own my own firm in Toronto, I have a gig to do Office365 advice and training coming up and I have no idea how much I should charge! In the past I've worked through an agency, made about $45/hr there, but I was effectively fulltime and this will probably be like 10-20 hours total. Is 70 an hour reasonable? Any of y'all consultants? How do you figure your hourly rates?

If its any help when i was doing consultancy work in Vancouver I normally billed $100 an hour for office 365 set up and training work I probably did around a dozen O365 setups and never had any push back from clients about the rate.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Around 30 hours a week.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

Just wanted to thank the both of you for this! I quoted $100/hr to their VP and he didn't balk for a second!

Mute Fish, would you mind if I PM'd or emailed you to ask for some advice? I'm putting together a proposal for training and since this is my first consulting gig I wanna do it well.

Ye for sure id be happy to help. PMs work for me.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

chin up everything sucks posted:

I had a loving mental breakdown over my ticket load because it felt like nobody else was doing poo poo about our queue, and I was burning myself out trying to keep it down.
I just wanted to say be careful with stuff like this a ticket queue or a company is in no way worth damaging your mental health. I have done something similar to this a couple of times in career (both times working for poo poo hole MSPs) and both times I wound up quitting because it was clear the companies where not going to change. It was only years later after speaking to a therapist that i realized quite how much the stress and burnout had effected me in the long term. Its good that your in IDGAF mode now but I guess what I am saying is don't be like me and let your self make the same mistake again.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
Don't be afraid to fail fast fail often.... in production..... on a Friday

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

bull3964 posted:

That's basically where I am right now. I have a pretty big circle of friends, but when you plot the venn diagram of who has the money and the time to travel, things get sparse pretty quickly. I'm going to have to get over the hump about traveling by myself or I'm just flat out not going to experience things.

I try and take a proper 3 week brake each year and its normally a 50/50 break on weather I can drag some one along or not. I know its not every ones cup of tea but when i go on holiday or go traveling on my lonesome I find staying in hostels is a great way of meeting people while traveling alone. You tend to meet a lot of cool and interesting people heading in the same direction as you as a lot of people are in the same boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe.
Derivative measurement on fire off the shoulder of Value Streams.
I watched C-Levels glitter in the dark near the Agile Train.
All those moments will be lost in time, like KPIs in rain.

Thank you it all makes so much more sense now.