Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The device should have high read/write speed. That's all I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Goobernoodles, I just switched my job without certs or a degree but also with four years of experience. Don't let the lack of paper stop you from :yotj:

Then again I never cleaned out the blood of my colleagues out of a server rack :froggonk:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

SaltLick posted:

For the guy that wants to break into IT just watch this video. For the rest of us we know it's triggering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgeaya7Yg4A

Still one of the best advertisements I've seen

This should be the OP

Nothing more

Nothing less

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

NZAmoeba posted:

The "Force you to leave for 6 months" thing does have it's roots in security. Basically if someone is doing something dodgy, they have to be actively doing things to circumvent audits. Doing such a thing when you're not around for 6 months is practically impossible.

Automate your dodginess!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Both are pretty great, actually. For the first, you get paid to do virtually nothing while having the chance to study for certs or whatever. For the second, you have a nice and meaningful job.

For both: You're not on the helpdesk which is an immediate bonus.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

What do you guys use for cable storage? I've sorted the cables by length and colour now, but I can't really find a decent solution for storing them in a sensible and compact way.

I'm even considering buying tie hangers to hang them in the server room (we're an SME with one rack on-prem).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I noticed PowerShell in a month of lunches doesn't seem to have a version for PowerShell 4, how much am I missing by only learning v3?

E: Should I download version 4, or stick with 3 if that's what I'm studying?

The main thing in PowerShell 4 is Desired State Configuration. Which is really nifty and you should definitely learn about.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sheep posted:

Why is IPv4Address a string but DefaultGateway isn't? Not trying to be pedantic (I am bad at Powershell and do not have an answer for this question).

Actually DefaultGateway is also a string. Or at least that's what the documentation says.

efb

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

No like, it's literally called Facebook for Work.

Meanwhile, I've got our O365 tenant on the new Skype for Business Preview of PTSN Conference Calling and Cloud PBX.

So when we make Skype for Business meetings we can auto generate a conference phone number to dial into, and the Cloud PBX lets us dial phone numbers in Skype for Business or with a Polycom SIP phone.

Of course, both features are completely busted, I haven't gotten either to work in either Windows 8.1 or 10... sounds like a Microsoft preview alright.

Edit: figured them both out, these are both pretty great now that they work. If the Cloud PBX is cheap enough I'll totally tear my phone system out for this.

I can't loving wait for them to implement this in Europe. Of course I'd need to convince the boss to upgrade our internet line from 10Mbps to something decent, but that's just an added bonus.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Go straight to 2012. Do not pass Go.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is it that uncommon in the US to hire someone on a temp contract before hiring them fulltime? I don't think I know anybody in IT in the Netherlands who was straight-up hired full-time.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

hey great it's tha time of the month where people are angry about other people's posting styles

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anyone have any suggestions for a good asset tracking system for MSPs? Right now we've just got invoices and warranty PDFs per client, but I'd like to get it sorted into a proper system.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why aren't you using Run As for your RSAT? There's no need to actually log in with your admin account in most cases.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

KillHour posted:

Trust me, I'm aware. I'm a physical security sales engineer with 5 years of experience doing tier 1 tech support with no benefits because I was running out of unemployment.

I need something in my industry.

Edit: My last ticket was "User's mapped drives are missing. Solution: Had user log off and back on."

This is not a good use of my skill set.

Should've done a gpupdate

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Don't forget alcoholic.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Working in IT 3.11 for Workgroups

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We have an application where they do let you use SSO, but it'll cost you €10k per year to use the feature. Get hosed, buddy.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Varonis (DatAdvantage at least) might be the best enterprise product I've ever used, but it's expensive as balls.

I was once trying to do the exact same thing you're trying to do, and that started us on a demo of Varonis and led to buying it eventually.

What's the pricing like? gently caress requesting quotes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

Who uses mapped drives when you have SharePoint? :smug:

SharePoint Online with mapped drives :smug:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

psydude posted:

Comcast's combo units are loving awful and you should just buy your own modem and router anyway.

If only I could. ISP provides the modem. Couldn't even put it into bridge mode myself.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CloFan posted:

I'm turning my exchange server off in two weeks, so that's no longer an option! And we're on Google which has a one-way password sync from AD to google.

Remote Desktop Web Access lets you reset your password, which is pretty neat.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I interviewed a guy recently who claimed he did scripting on Windows, so I asked him what kind of PowerShell work he's done, and his answer was "PowerShell? Oh no, I use batch files, that's the real way" :smug:

Stop-Interview

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Too long, didn't read.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

orange sky posted:

Big, big big ransomware attack going on in Portugal & Spain - Portugal Telecom and Telefonica were the main targets, but it's apparently spreading.

same for the NHS in the UK

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

dogstile posted:

My only issue with walking into my server room is that its hot as balls but management doesn't want to invest in actual air conditioning.

My company does work world wide. We have offices world wide. Why the gently caress do they not care about things like "your servers might actually die because its so loving hot".

Airconditioning through the cloud.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

windows small business server disagrees

over and over and over again in the log files until the c: drive fills up and crashes the system

*violent twitching intensifies*

imagine working at an msp where most of your clients are running sbs 2003 / 2008 / 2011

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Wibla posted:

All I'm getting from this discussion is that US labour laws are beyond atrocious and that i'm pretty happy to be living somewhere with decent employee protection laws and a culture that embraces good work/life balance.

But do you have freedoms?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Working in IT 3.0: the business world be all like "Hey, man. Do you groom?"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

mewse posted:

OK, but I don't see how that's related to eating people.

You trap the man inside the man trap and wait for them to die before you eat them.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

My samAccountName is my employee ID (6 digits) but my UPN is firstname.lastname@company.xxx, it's annoying

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I like WiDi v:shobon:v

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

At my old job there was one manager who loved video calls and he also loved being a micromanaging piece of human garbage, so I've always associated the two.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

When was the last time any of you received a crank or prank phone call? I'm not talking about scammers: I mean heavy-breathers, kids asking you if your refrigerator is running, that sort of thing.

I suspect all of those people have kept with the times and moved to Reddit.

They work for SolarWinds now

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

orange sky posted:

Ding! For these last few days, yes :) (I work in another branch of the company)

From what I understand there was actually pressure to do it the right way, but the client wanted it this way

Ah yeah, the Backstreet Boys clients.

(Tell me why
Ain't nothin' but a heartache
Tell me why
Ain't nothin' but a mistake
Tell me why
I never want to hear you say
I want it that way)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Don't use disks, write everything to flash memory.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GDPR is gonna clean up so many mailboxes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

skipdogg posted:

drat, I'm pretty sure I could finagle the use of 10 weeks of PTO so I didn't actually accomplish anything all year.

I don't need 10 weeks of PTO for that!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Why do so many people in this thread work in labor hell?

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Snort coke and gently caress hookers in exotic locales.