Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
It's be a while since I've been in any HelpDesk / support role but that only really just hit me today when my laptop totally died and I don't have to worry about it at all because if it doesn't get fixed I just get another.

Those Surface Books sure look nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Hopefully it's for a job that won't give a poo poo when you need to take personal time and you won't have to make up poo poo for.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I once had to write a bash script that did some basic things in front of the interviewers. Fine, no biggie. They also asked me a few of those dumb google trick questions and left me in a windowed room with a marker and a whiteboard as they left the room and watched me from outside. Didn't take the job offer.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Swink posted:

Ditto!

I actually took a $1000/year hit to get this job. Goodbye professional services where I wear a suit to crawl under some assholes desk all day. Hello software company where I wear jeans and think about automation all day.

So hurrah for both of us :)

:yotj:

Hell yes I never want to leave this type of field.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Swink posted:

M

So much stuff to learn holy hell. I am replying to your latest PM , I've just been taking a break from forums (and life) while I get settled in.

Yeah man no problem take your time.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Anybody on the Rancher meetup? HiMomIAmOnTV-LOL was our fault

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 28, 2016

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I bought 2 suits when I was looking for a new job last year. Wore 1 of them to one interview and then just wore business casual to any after that. Now I guess I have suits for a wedding or something because I have no other use for them.

Jeans / t shirt every day.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

mewse posted:

I believe it was unethical to be reading his IMs without cause. As you say, the damage is done

But FFS don't put anything in writing that you don't want coming back to haunt you. Especially over company IM. loving dumb.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

GreenNight posted:

When we've had hardware issues with a few Surface's (dead wifi nic), I would open a case and then spent a day dealing with Indian tech support. He had me run through all these hoops to make sure the card was dead. Even though I re-imaged it to verify, I had to do it two more times before they'd fix it. Then you are allowed to send it in. They don't actually fix it, they just re-send you another used one.

This can take weeks.

I was going to write almost this exact same thing. They say it'll be "like for like".

And they want you to send it in before they mail it the replacement. Lol.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Docjowles posted:

Today was a good day. My company is pretty cool, and has an annual two day "Hack Day" event. If you're participating, you're basically free of normal work duties and able to work on whatever the hell you want. At the end, you present what you did and the company votes for a few winners in various categories.

I built out a sweet Logstash cluster at my last job and have been going through major withdrawal symptoms since moving on. Life without it just feels like flying blind. So I jumped at the chance to build out a POC deployment along with another ops guy, and a dev who could point us at the highest value logs to present.

Won "best engineering project" by a landslide, and the only question after our presentation was "this is not a question, but I just wanted to say, thank you" :lol:

That's awesome dude congrats. My company does a similar thing with what they call "hackathons" which are usually a 3 or 4 days. My team won last time by building a chrome extension for our app. It was a hell of a lot of fun doing something that I don't normally get to do.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Between uniballs sales training and adorais accidental data acquisition.... :stare:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're not my mom

Does your mom still hangout around dockside bars? What's it been, 13, 14 years?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

alg posted:

Working for the feds is tough enough with their ridiculous preference for veterans.

As a veteran - gently caress that noise. I'm happy I didn't pursue and civ job requiring a clearance and can smoke weed if I want, or sympathize with Snowden if I want, or do basically anything else I want - all this without dealing with outdated technology and lovely budgets and all the other bureaucratic bullshit that goes hand in hand with government work.

/rant

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Do any of you guys use an Android app for any cloud monitoring? We use Datadog and New Relic, but they don't have an Android app. Just curious for when I'm not at a computer.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Weird, I just did a search for it before I posted that. It came up with other stuff like Grok. Thanks though!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Virigoth posted:

The thing that bugs me about the new relic app is that I can't see custom dashboards. Am I just missing something or is it not built in?

That kind of sucks if it's true. That's just about all we use.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I just can't belive AWS seriously has DevOps certs now. What a joke.

edit: the 3 I have were from a job that required, and paid for, them.

edit 2: anecdotally, my first Tier 1 job outside of the Navy was $24/hour. Granted, it required a secret clearance. It's also the one that paid for those certs.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 16, 2016

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Everyone needs to know that you've obtained the rank of Powerful Genius in DevOps League. It's an important title.

I put DevOps League cert on my LinkedIn. I consider it a litmus test: if the recruiter doesn't "get it", I don't want to waste my time.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 20, 2016

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dark Helmut posted:

gently caress.

Hahaha :cheers:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Had my annual review today. Got called a "high achiever" and was told they couldn't really find anything to put on needs improvement so keep doing what I'm doing. They want me to help train up some of interns to be badasses like me. I didn't get a promotion, but the raise was above what is their typical 3-5%.

Pretty stoked.

Now I have a week off to move into my nice big house that I just bought.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dark Helmut posted:

*cough* LinkedIn *cough*

Seriously, this is half the reason to have an account even if you do get spammed by pesky recruiters.

vvv 1-2 months notice?! 2 weeks drags on long enough when you're excited about a new gig. I can't imagine how much that sucks... vvv

My wife was denied employment at a hospital because her references either didn't work at the company anymore, or the company wasn't around anymore. They seriously expected the references to not have moved on.

She got a better job anyways but gently caress that and gently caress HR.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

and here I am sitting on my desk watching this dude do the rocky speech and then I had to shut it off because I was laughing too hard holy gently caress

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

He's right it is though

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Staging should not only mirror prod infrastructure but load as well. I've seen services buckle under pressure in prod when everything was fine in staging.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Can 100% confirm I have had the "I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing" projects. They always turn out well, but the learning process is a stark reminder to not let yourself stagnate in the industry.

I go through a roller coaster of being totally kickass and feeling great about things for a few days, then feeling like I'm in over my head other days.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Serious question: is Azure or AWS not an option? Seriously this sounds like, perfect. You won't even have to worry about power outages.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Those aren't even an option for everyone in a first world country, let alone somewhere with limited options like it sounds that guy is.

:jerkbag: yeah everybody using a cloud provider is just dumb amirite lolol

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sickening posted:

Thanks for totally missing the point of that.

lol, awesome.

SHAME

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Haha the gently caress is your issue?

obviously reading words is hard

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Cthulhuite posted:

Sometimes supporting the business means beating on the end users.

I'm doing this because I love you.

It hurts me more than it hurts you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

FireSight posted:

I have failed out of TWO community colleges! And a university. Beat that!

Seriously, gently caress school. I get straight A's for the first couple years, and then I burn out and go "eh, gently caress this".

This is me. I have 1 semester left and it's the biggest "gently caress it" I've ever put into anything.

gently caress it so hard.