Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
In at 0600, out at 1400. Wouldn't have it any other way, except for days like today when I accidentally wake up at 0300 so I get to work at 0500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Agrikk posted:

So this. I know so many people who Through Heroic Individual Effort will Personally Save The Company Single-Handed.

I don’t get these people. It’s like Peter says, “if I work harder and the company moves a few more widgets, I don’t see a dime.”

I enjoy where I work. But as long as they pay me a fixed amount you better believe I’m working a fixed amount (on average). I like my job, but I like my (hopefully happy and healthy and long) life more.

I love being a contractor. The head of Land Management comes to me and tells me someone scrambled the deeds. I spend an entire weekend, two twelve-hour days, unscrambling and reorganizing this poo poo. I get 24 hours pay at $30/hr. Not a problem with me, especially since my agency does all my tax poo poo for me.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Vargatron posted:

The helpdesk guy in question may not even realize he's being a dick. Learning to phrase things tactfully to end users was something I struggled with early on in my IT career but it's one of the best skills I've picked up.

This. I remember being pure helpdesk at one point and being absolutely convinced that some users were filing tickets just to piss me off. Took a long-rear end time to learn to get over my poo poo.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

angry armadillo posted:

Then I read Exit Strategy's post there and I'm like that could definitely be something my dude believes as well haha.

I used to be beep-boop utility function as poo poo, dude. Didn't see the point or purpose in being friendly, nice, or even loving polite to what I assumed were chucklefucks who couldn't even scrape together two neurons to try and understand the object that their job most relied on to exist. It took some no-poo poo for-serious growing up on my part to get over myself.

I do still occasionally giggle at old tickets like "Hello, we would like to try [your product] because doesn't Ensim upgrades anymore," but only because that's a loving fantastic way to phrase that if you don't really know English that nonetheless manages to perfectly convey the OH GOD PLEASE HELP US of the situation.

These days, people around this office generally think I'm friendly and polite while also loving fixing poo poo when nobody else can or will. It helps that I carry my own keyboard around and people can consistently identify "keyboard guy, I forget his name" with "holy poo poo he fixed my Office" until they figure my name out.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

nullfunction posted:

Sign me the gently caress UP

I know, right? Why'd I even bother getting this Vivokey implanted?!

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
My handler just called me to say that my contract has just been extended "as long as possible, with an eye towards full-time hire with a significant raise."

So... :yotj: but I get to stay where I am? I like it here.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

GreenNight posted:

Eye towards hire? Did he give an estimate or is he blowing smoke?

She did give me an estimate, but I'm not supposed to discuss Actual Numbers with anyone except the hiring contacts here, my lawyer, and my handler. The proposed terms of hire include salary at 40hr/week with overtime above that (and mileage if I have to drive my own vehicle to a mine portal instead of a motor pool vehicle), with a reasonable but not outrageous benefits package.

Sheep posted:

I'm absolutely not trying to burst your bubble but just keep in mind that if it's not in writing it doesn't matter and might as well not have happened.

No illusions, just mild enthusiasm for the idea. I'm happy to continue just sitting here doing contract work, of course. Or going somewhere else to do the same. It's all fine, and I'm fine as it is financially.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

"Sure I can make it but I'll need 360ft of cable to run between the bases."

I'll admit that this is the nice part of being a contractor. I have bad memories from being a salaried employee at a local MSP. But this job? No one is trying to make me be Part Of The <CompanyName> Family. I'm not getting told in breathless tones about the company Halloween and Christmas parties, nobody's talking to me as though this is a capital-C Career and not just a job. As much as it wouldn't bother me to be here long-term, my personal little Hell is a job where I work in a company with twenty employees and am so integral to the process that having a bad heart day means Serious Consequences For Everyone.

No one here wants to be my best friend, and that's loving good.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
People at work just refer to me as "that guy who saved the company once" and are done with it.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
We have the second-worst username schema I've ever seen. FirstnameLastname. Unless you've got the same as another person in the company, at which point it's FirstnameMLastname, with M being the middle initial, and other distinguishers added on a case-by-case basis. We have three Linda R. Joneses, so the first one is LindaJones, the second LindaRJones, and the third LindaJonesEsq.

For gently caress's sake, the only worse username scheme I've seen is (sitecode)(first initial)(last initial)(serial identifier)(random three-digit base-36 code), resulting in things like llj0zg1 or bar0bbq or what the gently caress ever.

That's the schema we moved *away from* in January.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
A terminal conflict of personalities resulted in me not accepting the job offer for server admin at my last place - The new head of IT is a ladder-climber motherfucker. Instead, got hired for more money at the place across the street.

No, seriously. More money, bigger company, literally across the street from old job.

:yotj:

So far, I've very little to complain about.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Methanar posted:

Just hand out macbooks and tell your users to install chrome themselves

New Company has a thread in our chat software about "supporting Macs in production" with the first post being just a screencap of a new middle manager asking and a picture of a Fisher-Price logo.

I thought smartphones had their own, separate wifi network here, and didn't need to be on the production net even if they come in a big-boy case like a real computer.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Schadenboner posted:

Oh god yes, this is what I dream of.

:smith:

Really? I dream of doing absolutely nothing and getting paid for it.

So, state senator.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
That posting is nearly as bad as the old Penny Arcade one. The one that insisted on no work-life balance for a loving pittance.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

TerryLennox posted:

I started campaigning to remain with our local vendor. I'm friendly with all of them and can call them at their cells.

That's the fastest I've ever lost respect for a person. Holy poo poo. If you called my cell phone on-hours you'd get "please submit a ticket."

If you called my cell off-hours you'd get unprofessional behavior.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

GreenNight posted:

Hopefully they have work cells which they don't answer during off hours.

Last time I had a dedicated work cell, I learned that the CIO expected everyone to keep it charged and on them at all times so he could track our locations and ask us to go on part runs for field techs in the area if we were nearby.

The parts would of course be out-of-pocket and reimbursed within three months.

And your time was your own for this, of course. Why would you get paid when you're not at work?

And you were expected to answer at any time for any reason.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
oh boy, it's agile / kanban!

i can't wait to deal with yet another task assignment methodology that isn't prioritized and where I'm expected to justify having too few OR too many cards.

everybody comfortable sitting at your computer for the daily stand-up meeting where you're not supposed to bring any devices but we're having it across three continents and five time zones?

e: remember, your coworkers are now customers! brand™!

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

CLAM DOWN posted:

Agile/Kanban is actually good, learn how it works and how to use it most effectively and you're doing yourself and your career a favour. Don't be one of those angry dinosaurs who refuses to change and adapt.

My core issue isn't that it's Agile/Kanban. My issue is the way it's being implemented - It's Agile/Kanban in which we are solely and exclusively placing work that isn't already tracked. It's self-directed, with harsh punishments for self-directing in a way that Management doesn't like. Management refuses to explain what they'd like, what they want or expect from employees in this. It is, in short, layered atop an existing ticket system with each employee being responsible for multiple boards with redundant cards on each.

Agile/Kanban is fine, and can be a great way to monitor and control your workflow. Half-assed, no-commitment Agile/Kanban with at-best vague goals and at-worst veiled accusations of stealing Company Time where it's one of your three strikes if you gently caress up is a loving ulcer factory.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

If you work for a company writing software and you have a 3 strike system, laugh at them and easily find another job. Only the indian visa sweatshops should have to worry about poo poo like that. A dev is the hottest commodity in our industry right now and its a sellers market and probably will be for the next decade.

JFC

I'm not a software engineer, dude. I'm infosec and sysadmin. And, admittedly, a contractor. I've asked my handler to find me a new loving job

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

Like how are you contributing?

I'd fuckin' LOVE to know!

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
My griping about Agile in improper use cases might be moot.

Helping set up a cubicle almost killed me. It might be time to admit I'm too broken to work.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

Well, having your infosec/sysadmin setup furniture is a good sign that your place of work sucks.

"HEY EXIT STRATEGY YOU'RE NOT DOING ANYTHING RIGHT SET UP THIS USER'S PC"

Boss man, I'm super crippled. My legs and heart don't function on the same level as, say, a twelve-year-old's.

"NAH IT'S FINE IT'LL BE OKAY JUST DO IT."

So, unbox and set up a shiny new Precision 7820 and three displays. Which doesn't sound like much but no poo poo, I'm actually disabled.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think you need to set up a three strikes policy with your employer.

Strike 1: a three strikes policy for loving up
Strike 2: making an infosec professional do desktop support
Strike 3: ?

Podima posted:

I feel like this is actual grounds for a pretty serious workplace complaint?

I think I found your Strike Three.

I'm going to North Carolina in two weeks. I'm not sure if I'll come back.

In the interim, I'm filing an HR complaint.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

HR is for protecting the company not you so don't be surprised if they don't do anything. Keep documentation.

Not with this company's HR. With my contracting firm's HR. This place can go gently caress themselves.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I've talked to my lawyer about an ADA complaint against $company, and he's going to start his part, so I'm shutting up about that now. I have a week and a day left here before I go to North Carolina for a wedding.

Mine.

I'm not coming back to this company.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
hmmmmmmm hey bossman what does it mean when you've had to cancel three daily stand-ups because everyone's too fuckin' busy to come to the daily stand-ups and the board is stale because everyone's too busy doing actual work with our existing ticket system and work order system to play cards?

does it mean that the whole agile/kanban for admin/security/tech channels thing isn't working out

because i think it means that

tune in at 11 for a detailed report

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Out of curiosity, what do your standups look like? 15 minutes long with each person quickly going through what they finished, what they're working on and where they're stuck?

Half an hour long while the boss asks rhetorical questions into dead air on a Teams meeting and everyone busies themselves doing actual work since it's a "stand-up" meeting across seven office buildings in five countries and four timezones worldwide.

Again, I'm not against Agile or Kanban. This, though? This is something that LOOKS like Agile/Kanban but is really just make-work in a situation where there's already too much work.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 16, 2019

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not a standup. That's a meeting.

It's in my calendar as "EU/NA/SPac Agile/Kanban Stand-Up Meeting" every morning at 10:30 EDT. You know it's not a standup. I know it's not a standup.

My boss thinks it's a standup.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

CLAM DOWN posted:

Talk to you boss. Have a candid conversation. Voice your concerns, suggest changes, do some research on scrum best practices and present the change to him. It can be really hard to change to an Agile mindset and a lot of people struggle with it.

God dammit CLAM DOWN I'm here to bitch, not to receive serious suggestions. :colbert:

In all seriousness, I do plan on doing that next week before I leave. It'll be to the benefit of whoever fills this slot once I'm gone.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah I'm gonna be employed forever. 2019 the world is a gently caress born to die

71342357854685468 dead firewall rules

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Thirty-eight hours left.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Paul ReiserFS posted:

I keep all my credentials in Visual Studio Code tyvm

Joke's on you, all my credentials are hidden behind leader key sequences in my keyboard firmware.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

CLAM DOWN posted:

My avatar is not repeat not a likeness of me.

Mine is me every time I leave a contract.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Hey so a couple jobs ago, I worked for a local MSP, here in Pittsburgh.

This was before I started contracting, and was the thing that got me interested in it as a main gig. I just learned that the guy who trained me and eventually passed me his route committed suicide last week. I don't know if it was his wife or one of his kids that found him, but they insisted that any donations go to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

Just a reminder: This job can eat people. I just started an anxiolytic and antidepressant and it's doing wonders - If your brain stops working right, treat it like any other hardware and get it fixed.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

...If our hardware breaks, we just trash it and buy another one. :ohdear:

i'll trash you and buy a new one you son of a bitch

:bahgawd:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Sepist posted:

If our hardware breaks we just migrate it to the cloud so.... the movie Transcendence?

I'm also okay with this. But seriously, stay safe, pointed-lack-of-poverty ghosts.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

nullfunction posted:

Deploying software on Friday the 13th with a full moon tonight, how's everyone else finishing their week out?

Xcopy of a software engineer's drives because system won't boot and he's backup noncompliant and a release is coming Tuesday. Started it and walked out the door.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
:yotj:

I'm out of this half-assed Agile hellscape. Real, proper server admin job with no lift requirement at a company to-hire. Not contract.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Sickening posted:

Mods. MODS!!!

Personally, I'm fascinated by the idea of a system called, unironically, "LeSS SAFe DAD."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Woof Blitzer posted:

Well well well, old manager comes crawling back to me asking for help with a project because he's overwhelmed. Boy that really sucks, have fun dude!

More like Oof Blitzer.

E: Oh God, shittiest snipe. I'm sorry. I'm, uh, in the process of building a new work keyboard because I have been - very politely - asked not to bring a clicky unit in. My level of cooperation is directly related to the politeness of the request, ofc.