Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accretionist posted:

Any of you ever hear of an IT guy pulling off US → EU immigration with a WGU degree?

Company I work for has no problem bringing in college drop-outs from outside the EU. It seems to depend more on skill/experience/offered salary so if WGU is a proper institution and not a diploma mill it shouldn't be a problem.

edit: A quick google search tells me there are differences between various EU countries.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

adorai posted:

as a sysadmin who is good at scripting but not programming, is ansible still my best bet? I heard ansible was working on some cisco extensions, is that true?

Guy writing this blog seems to be dabbling in it:
https://pynet.twb-tech.com/

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tab8715 posted:

:rolleyes:

Look at your typical IT Infrastructure, many businesses have a Windows Domain, finely crafted GPO's deployed with a nicely customized image. All your applications, databases live in virtualized servers with a bunch neat HA/FT added-on either in really cool looking server room that your manager purposely walks clients past or in colo with a VPN/MPLS to your offices.

With the Cloud, how much of this is necessary? Your users don't need fat applications, hell they don't even necessarily need a domain all they know is they type contoso.portal.com into whatever web browser on any device and they're ready to work. All of the applications/database are run on whichever cloud and the redundancy/fault-tolerance is already built-in to the platform. Hardware outages, cyclical hardware upgrades and network/virtualization troubleshooting. I can't speak for all cloud providers but it even potentially it gets rid of the headaches associated with software licensing as each SaaS/IaaS instance already includes the licensing cost and while this piece is over my head IT is now a Operational Expenditure not Capital which makes management/accounting happy.

And sure, the above scenario isn't going to be a fit everyone and that's when a hybrid cloud comes into play but that's still less of <$WhateverTech> that's automated away.

All true, until you start doing business in places where bandwidth isn't a commodity. Then the Cloud becomes a problem instead of the magic solution to everything.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about my job future as long as I keep my skillset relevant.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 30, 2015

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

I have a career question for you guys. This is my first year working in IT, I've managed to get both my CCNA and MCSA, and I'm finishing up my Sec+ now. I started at my current company 5 months ago in their NOC as a technician, getting paid a fairly reasonable hourly rate. Two weeks ago I got moved to the security department, which has been really great, I got typical 9-5 hours, a cubicle, and the work is much more fulfilling. However, what I haven't gotten yet is a title change or a salary increase. My new job duties often require me to be on call or review stuff on the weekends, but I'm still hourly so I don't get paid for it.
My question is how long I should wait before I start seriously considering looking at jobs for a different company. I know I haven't been working there very long, and I don't have much experience, but this situation feels... weird. Should I just ride it out, and if so for how long?

Did they mention anything when you got moved? Like "We will adjust your salary/title in x months due to budget reasons" ? If not, you should probably have a conversation with your manager along the lines of increased responsibilities should come with increased remuneration. And you might want to dip your toes in the job pool as well, see what is being offered out there. Puts you in a better spot if you ever need to negotiate at your current place as well.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManSauceGuzzlr posted:

The head of security mentioned that he would review my performance in 30-45 days, which was about a month ago now (I think). Other than that they haven't mentioned anything to me. I'd like to have that conversation but I'm not sure how to bring it up without seeming ungrateful.
By dip my toes, do you mean I should go out and try to get an actual offer? If so I'll probably wait until I get my Sec+ for that, should only take me a couple of weeks.

If someone says 30-45 days and forgets or is too busy you're not being ungrateful by reminding them. If you really intend to leave then by all means get offers in your pocket, otherwise you can always try to leverage them into a better offer at your current employer.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder what the next fad after the cloud is gonna be :allears:

The cloud certainly has it uses but I get skeptical when a thing is being over hyped.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Segmentation Fault posted:

I mentally combine Sisqo, Cisco Systems, Sysco Corporation (the company that sells food products), and Captain Benjamin Sisko all the time and I can't imagine a life any other way.

"Are your thongs safe in the Cloud?"

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

What you save in money you make up for in medical bills for destroying your back trying to rack them.

And that's why Satan invented smart hands.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KennyTheFish posted:

We need a book on how long DT's pod lasts this time.

Based off how much luck with jobs he had in the past: Christmas Eve.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mewse posted:

A toilet that makes continuous bathroom noises to mask the bathroom noises that oneself is generating

The toilets I used in Japan all had a music button. Never tried it though but I expect crappy music to drown out a furious butt trumpet solo.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tab8715 posted:

Keeping the lights on doesn't necessarily add business value and it's quickly becoming one of biggest things I dislike about System Administration.

If you are not acting as a multiplier to your colleague's business value or adding your own you're doing IT wrong.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CLAM DOWN posted:

please don't troll

My income tax this year is around 4,5-5%

On the other hand, I pay around $18 for a pint.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Team-oriented positions like helpdesk and MSP spots almost require you're in the same room as your coworkers. When the pace of the job is fast it's always easier to hive-mind through tickets. I tried working from home a few times at my MSP gig and there was a lot of stepping on toes, duplicating work, and not having reference knowledge of recurring issues. It sucked and was extremely unproductive.

At more experienced and specialized positions there is no reason to be in the office every day, and suburbs could see a huge resurgence boom from WFH incentives.

Seems more like an organisational issue to me. Phone support type of work is a prime candidate for WFH provided you have your organisation and technology in order.
I'm no fan of measuring toilet breaks and that type of call center dictatorship poo poo but tickets and break/fix type of productivity can be easily measured regardless of where people are working from.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frogbert posted:

Telstra's NTP servers are tic.ntp.telstra.net and toc.ntp.telstra.net. I think those are acceptable names.

I wish they were an acceptable ISP. I also wish they would stop buying other decent ISPs.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao y'all clearly haven't flown Air Canada Rouge before, it brings whole new meaning to the phrase "worst airline"

I see your airline and raise you China Southern Airlines.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DigitalMocking posted:

I fired a guy for literally doing a bump of coke on his desk as I walked in the door with a customer in at at-will state.

He sued.

We lost. We had to pay for lost wages and cover his insurance for almost 4 months.

The reason we lost? I hadn't written him up previously for doing lines of coke on his desk. No, I'm not joking.

You don't have contracts that cover this kind of poo poo? Under influence on the job = fired.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

CCNA can probably get you up to the 100k mark in certain areas. CCNP will probably be good for up to 160k. After that it becomes a bit tougher to rely on solely being competent, because you're typically selling your services to multiple customers who will want that CCIE or VCDX in your signature block.

Here in Singapore IT salaries are all over the place. I've seen network engineering jobs offer $20K USD per year and see them go as high as $150K+ as well. It seems mostly based on what industry you are in and less on what particular certificate you have.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kashuno posted:

I saw the picture and immediately skipped over the whole post should I go back and read it?

I stopped reading at the part where they were saying making significant network changes at Friday 7pm is the cool and smart thing to do.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Docjowles posted:

Network engineer spotted ;)

Totally agree with your larger point, but Tcl is a weird-rear end language that nobody really uses outside of the networking world (where it's extremely common). I wouldn't ever answer the question "hey what language should I go learn" with Tcl unless your job is full-time network engineer. Same for SOAP and XML. Much of the world has moved on to REST and JSON data because it's less of a loving nightmare to deal with than XML. That's all just nitpicking, though.

I like VC's suggestion of learning enough C that you can read it and follow what's going on. Due to the manual memory management and static typing, there's a lot of stuff you just don't have to deal with in a language like Python. Which are also the source of 99% of bugs in C programs, so being able to spot them is helpful. But it's pretty rare that you'll ever need to write a line of C as a typical sysadmin in 2016. Maybe to fix a bug in an abandoned Apache module or something.

These days I prefer Powershell for my network automation tasks :techno:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW1FpcpiDns

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

Yep. As I'm sitting here an hour past when I was trying to end this change window because a customer straight up didn't tell me about an extra switch they have, I'm keeping in mind that my company is basically paying me to travel around the world to various vacation spots for weeks at a time over the next few months.

Sounds suspiciously like my job. Travel to awesome place, do job, have awesome food and drinks on the beach while company pays for it.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vulture Culture posted:

The college discussion is cool and all but personally, I'm finding Four Roses bourbon to be quite nice.

Where I live drinking is a very expensive hobby. That being said, I still managed to build a nice collection of exotic booze while traveling around Asia.

I can't drink most of them though, even a single glass of (Japanese) whiskey gives me a nasty hangover.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a cop posted:

Where the gently caress do you live where alcohol is expensive, generally? Not doubting you, just flabbergasted.

Singapore

http://www.globalalcoholprices.com/alcohol_prices/Singapore/

Yep, that seems right.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

angry armadillo posted:

What is the world of IT like in Australia. I have the opportunity to do some work over there later in the year.
I suspect the opportunity to stay over will present itself and I'm open to the idea.

The Australian government regularly publishes a list of skilled occupations they are lacking manpower for, all flavours of IT are currently on that list so if you want to move there this is a great time to do so.

Here''s the list
https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
However!

Like every former British colony, Australians are obsessed with their red tape and all other things associated with bureaucracy. For example, I had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with an Australian ISP. If you ask them to provision a circuit for your shiny new branch office, it will take them about 8 months to deliver said circuit. It will take them 8 months and 8 teams and if asked if any of these teams can work in parallel to speed up the process they will laugh. The Australian bureaucracy will not be rushed because a team delivering a fiber connection in your server room cannot be expected to terminate said fiber in the CPE a previous team deployed there 3 weeks ago.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CLAM DOWN posted:

In Canada we got a new circuit for a new office in like under 2 weeks, I dunno what you're talking about :confused:

Good on you mate, have some ice hockey to celebrate eh?

I'm talking about the Indias, Australias, Myanmars and Hong Kongs of this world where her majesty's bureaucratic legacy still can be felt.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like socializing with colleagues over a pint, I do not like HR imposed team building activities. Am I worse than Hitler?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can expense up to $75 a day for food and "a reasonable amount of alcohol", so far I haven't hit the limit on what reasonable is. I almost fly exclusively with Singapore Airlines and while they are good they will never ever offer anyone a free upgrade for some reason.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

I think this might be the right thread..

I'm working at a company that sells enterprise software relating to IP Telephony, interfacing with cisco and avaya call center offerings(CUCM, UCCX/E, DMCC, etc). Doing support mostly break/fix. Started as a 'support engineer 1' at 42k. After a year I've been moved up to 52k at 'support engineer 2'. This is in Minneapolis.

To me this seems pretty good for my first real job in IT. But I'm curious what enterprise support people generally make. Any general telephony people in here?

I'm considering trying to get into a more general Cisco or Avaya role at some MSP but haven't really been able to gauge whether it'd be worth leaving my job to set up call center phone environments. I'd be pretty valuable to a lot of the partners we work with, but there might be some sort of non compete there, I assume it's common for non competes to exist between partners?

From my current view, it seems like it would be nice to not have my most important work be over WebEx with somebody talking at you the whole time, but I'm sure that stress would just be replaced with something else.

Stay at my easy flexible support job at a company who has shown nothing but a desire to keep me around? Or try to jump into a role at a company where I'd have more responsibilities and likely similar pay, but possibly a better job title? Lol.

Call Center design and implementation seems like a very lucrative niche. We have a dedicated internal team and they make good money, especially since they get stock bonuses as well.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SEKCobra posted:

Honestly this seems really badly done, considerign there's no specification on how to enter data (salary) and no information on the fact if it's before or after tax. Completely useless data right there.

I see 2 Singapore entries there. One of their salaries and benefits depresses me immensely.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just saw a job posting on Linkedin for a "First line support resource". Some companies are not even trying anymore :smithcloud:

Also I had a call with a recruiter today and she was 45 minutes late which made me irrationally angry.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evobatman posted:

Recruiters are trash. I've been through about 20-30 agencies, local and national, via e-mail, phones and meetings after I got laid off. Don't be afraid to cut contact with the ones that are a waste of your time, and do take good care of the ones that get you actual real poo poo, like the ones I mentioned above. One guy didn't even read my CV before we met, thought I was someone else and wanted to put me on a lovely ISP support job. I told him in nicer words to gently caress off. One very senior recruiter in the IT industry in my city has spent a lot of time talking with me, but have just spent that time pumping me for leads in the places I have been earlier instead of coming up with something tangible.

At the place I'm working with now I have just emailed them my CV, they have gotten me the interviews and I have gotten the job. There has been literally 0 unnecessary bullshit from their side, and they have been so good to me I almost feel bad whenever I have to ask something from them. They have delivered above and beyond what any other agency has done for me.

This one is an internal recruiter, she reached out to me after I applied for a position but has been annoyingly passive so far. I get the impression internal recruiters don't realize that they are the face of the company they are representing and I am interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I P triple sec, but I'm starting a twelve-step program.

Well played good sir. Please educate me on these twelve steps to oblivion.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Erwin posted:

Anyone here travel for work? I have an offer in hand that would require traveling roughly 1 week per month, M-F, to work on client sites. I've never traveled for work but I'm old enough to think that I might really hate it after a few months. When I'm not traveling, it's 100% remote, so that may make up for it. I don't have kids, but I do participate in evening things (orchestra, etc) that I would be sad to miss 25% of the time. It sounds like the clients are more likely to be in California than in the middle of the continent.

My previous job had me travelling a lot, think about 40-50% of a month. What do you want to know?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Erwin posted:

I'm trying to figure out whether I'll enjoy it or not. I realize it comes down to personal preference, but how did you like it? Did you feel like you were working standard hours and were able to spend the evenings relaxing in whatever city you were in, or did you feel like you were on the clock for the entire time you were traveling? Was it a net positive or negative in your overall experience with that job?

VV Oh word thanks, I didn't know that thread existed.

Well my travel was for projects that typically were from Wednesday till the next Monday/Tuesday. So I worked pretty much 70-80 hours during that time including weekends. Needless to say I didn't do a lot of sightseeing even though I have been to almost every country in Asia during my time. I did make it a point to spend my daily reimbursement limit in good restaurants every day.

Best advice I can give you is to make sure your company has good travel arrangements. You don't want to be fronting the money for hotels and flights because that poo poo adds up fast.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks Ants posted:

Our sales guy quoted someone a bunch of IP phones and no PoE switch :suicide:

Each week I lower the bar, each time this guy manages to knock it down. I have been spraying job applications around this evening like a crazy man.

(No he didn't have the discussion with the client about using existing switches with a voice VLAN - I know there aren't any)

Quote the customer for a PoE switch for obviously reasons. Pocket the difference in price as a bonus, take the sales guy's bonus and one of his kidneys as compensation.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks Ants posted:

How are people gearing up to handle the expected increase in 'requests' to unlock devices when travelling through borders? I know some companies that send staff to China have a phone and laptop that are only used for that purpose because it's expected that somebody will try to gently caress with them, but the US have been making noises about it as well now. Is all foreign travel going to be reduced to burner phones and laptops that only run Citrix clients?

I've been to China multiple times for business during the last 2 years, they never gave a poo poo about the contents of my laptop and phone. Never heard of anyone else travelling there that they had issues either. The only time I heard of a colleague using burners was a guy going to Russia.

The worst experience I had with customs was in the US but didn't involve any kind of laptop or phone accessing.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's no way to know what kinds of routes will be created with dynamic routing, better to just set up static routes. That way we know what's really going on, and besides, job security.

You laugh, but at my previous company someone removed OSPF and replaced it by static routes on about 120 routers

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks Ants posted:

How many boats are you going to purchase?

He left in a plane, he returned with a fleet.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Are there legitimate reasons for turning off Spanning Tree?

At my previous company, small branch offices wouldn't have much of an architecture beyond a firewall and some access switches. Those switches would be 1 virtual chassis so no spanning tree was needed. Anything more complicated than that would require some form of loop prevention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MF_James posted:

metrics, my boss wants the same bullshit (sort of, it's actually like every 3 days) but he's also complained about people putting bullshit notes in tickets, such as "Waiting for ESXi hosts to be patched to resolve this issue, hosts are slated to be patched over the next 3 week" repeatedly.

I love how bad managers get triggered by cynical participation.