Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy poo poo, VAX! :haw:

Also: 1993 and they're still talking about mini vs. microcomputers.

'93 would have been near-peak for the RS6K / AS400 minis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Methanar posted:

I'm retarded. This is so obvious.

Good news! I've found the rogue DHCP server you're going to notice next week.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Hey! A HP DL380 is a DL380. This one's only four Gs less than the current model, which is a bargain because I'm spending 10 Gs less on it!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

Seriously gently caress iLO

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

one rouge employee with root/admin credentials

Generally, you don't want red team to have any credentials.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm a littie dissapopinted that they didn't buy macinbutt.com and redirect to macincloud.com because it's gonna happen a billion times.

"It was a million to one shot, doc"

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

beepsandboops posted:

These sales emails are the worst:

Ask them to demo it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

goobernoodles posted:

I'm looking into options for replacing our main switches at our main Seattle office with about ~50 desks or so. It's going to become the internet gateway for our Portland office, which is growing to about 40 desks. I use desks because a lot of users come and go so the number of people in the office can vary fairly significantly from those numbers up and down. Currently we have 20Mbps EoC in Seattle and 12Mbps bonded T1's in Portland connected over a MPLS and network behind a ~*~cloud firewall~*~. We have just shy of 200 employees and about 130 computer users. Everyone else will be getting email addresses within the year.

Just got 50Mbps Comcast fiber turned up and we'll be shifting to that as our "primary" connection in Seattle. More importantly, we now have a 1Gbps L2 connection between the offices. I'm waiting on Microwave wireless to be installed but have no idea when, if ever it's going to actually happen. It's going on 4 months since ordering and it sounds like they're running into a bureaucracy of trying to change out equipment on a building they need to bounce their signal off of to get to us. We're supposed to be getting 100Mbps burstable to 1Gbps. My plan is to use our Sophos firewall to route all non-business critical, or high bandwidth traffic over the Microwave, leaving things like VPN traffic to the fiber. Portland internet will go over the L2 fiber to Seattle, then out over the Microwave.

Anyway, I'm hoping to replace our core switches, which are old and lovely:
* Netgear GSM7248 - Internet, Servers)
* HP Procurve 2530-48G - iSCSI and vMotion
* 2x Netgear GS748TS - data drops

CDW quoted me a HP 5406R v3 switch, with dual PSU’s and four 24 port expansion cards, shipping and tax, it comes in at 15.5K. I want the layer 3 routing capabilities so that I can route between vlans and subnets that I will be creating to take the processing load off of the firewall. Is this switch overkill, or right around the ballpark I should be looking at?

Overkill. You don't need the 5406's backplane. I'd consider a pair of Juniper EX3300-48Ts (on sale for $3K each at CDW right now) in a virtual chassis configuration unless you really like the HP UI.

in a well actually fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 23, 2015

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

mewse posted:

I can't imagine any companies disclosing salary information unless they shared the same union and were sharing the candidate's previous position and wage scale under the collective bargaining agreement.

Not only are there companies that disclose salary information for former employees there are services that will handle it for them:

http://www.talx.com/Solutions/Compliance/Verifications/

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Danith posted:

I'm looking at Logstash + Elasticsearch and got it installed on a VM. Did a basic log and this is neat, but, is there no browser or GUI to look at the data? Seems I have to query it using curl for everything? I just want something to see everything in the database easily

K in ELK is for Kibana.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

adorai posted:

Cloud.

Dell didn't just buy the existing intellectual property and market share, they bought the employees who can use that IP and knowledge to make them a cloud provider.

Because Helion was such a huge success!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

82% off list on this quote; somebody wants to move some units.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

IT list prices are total bullshit though

True; a quote with less than 50% off list is a polite way of telling you to gently caress off.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

PagerDuty.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Methanar posted:

Sure it does

He means in the Air Force.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

KS posted:

Cisco's standard discount with no negotiation or special pricing is like 42 off list for route and switch and over 60 for some products like UCS and collab. You can easily get into the 50s and 70s with deal registration.

Yes, never pay list.

I've got a quote in hand for 82% off on some UCS gear. It was still much higher than the winning bidder.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you have a problem, just solve it!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

KillHour posted:

"Cat not included."

:what:

Big cat.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

anthonypants posted:

You forgot to mention Desired State Configuration :downs:

~~idempotence~~

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

It's almost completely irrelevant to anyone who's not doing hyper-speed web development/operations, so you can gloss over containers and microkernels and whatever other things people are latched onto this month

unikernels are this month's microkernels

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

e: nah

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

What's everyone using for log gathering/concatenation in an enterprise environment? I'm playing catch-up in ours and trying to get something setup that can do the task well and on the cheap. Graylog seems viable.

This would mostly be for Windows Event Logging. Syslogs already have another mechanism. I could always setup log forwarding and have a central Windows Server repository for those logs, but I'm looking for something a little more robust and easily searchable.

ELK stack. (Elasticsearch/Logstash/Kibana)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah I can't wrap my head around what kind of company needs a full time permanent Exchange admin? What the hell does the guy do all day? Are they literally just manually adding in email addresses to their spam filter? Setting OOO messages for people? How can Exchange administration possibly take up 40 hours a week? And even if you are to that point and you are more there to babysit for when really weird esoteric Exchange poo poo comes up wouldnt the company be big enough to put in a support ticket from Microsoft?

:allears:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

If your problems are solvable by Google your problems are boring.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Yeah, I just tell my lead I'm going to duck out for whatever amount of time or just simply take it in my car. Now that I'm getting deeper into the interview process I actually told him what I'm doing and I've been granted complete flexibility to handle phone/skype interviews.

Is anyone getting what seems to be autogenerated content from LinkedIn? My 3 year anniversary was 3 weeks ago and random people are messaging me the exact same email congratulating me. I also get phantom endorsements from people I added but never actually met, or at least weird times like at 4am from people that just got a new job (so why be on LinkedIn?) and are in my time zone. I figured it was some automatic thing LinkedIn sends out if you click a button somewhere like a like button, but I haven't been able to replicate it.

Yep, they've been doing that forever. Look for "Linkedin Updates" in your Spam Folder Social Tab in Gmail.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

invision posted:

I work in Telecom, basically baby sitting the servers that keep the cell sites running for a real large geographical region of the US in a datacenter-type setting.

I'm on call for the entire month of April.

I got a call on Sunday from a manager saying "Hey, the fire alarm is going off, it says it discharged the clean agent, and the fire department is on their way. You need to get there now.
So I get there and meet the FD at the front door - we check the entire building with their thermal camera, verify that the clean agent didn't discharge, and that nothings actually on fire, but the fire alarm absolutely refuses to shut up, and we can't figure it out. I called building management to emergency-dispatch me a fire alarm guy to get it fixed. I walked back through the server room to the LAN/WAN room where the smoke detector went off and notice it's getting hot. Took a look at the HVAC management system and noticed that the fire system has shut down ALL of the HVAC's in the building. My server room is ~80 degrees, which is real real bad since there's no colo for this stuff.

After screwing with the fire system for what seemed like forever, I managed to shut the fire alarm system up just enough to get it to let the HVAC kick back on. By this time it's right at 88 degrees, but thankfully we over-built the cooling system so it cooled off relatively quickly.

The issue? When the HVAC maintenance people came through last week, they left a temperature sensor controller on the roof uncovered, it rained, shorted, and caused the system to think it was negative 276 degrees outside, which kicked on the heater in the server room (?), which had apparently never been ran before, causing some smoke, and setting the whole thing off.

Anyways that's my story about how maintenance people almost shut down my entire data center by cooking it.

About 70% of cloud adoption is driven by an entirely justified loathing of datacenter HVAC poo poo.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Hey, if I need to buy 22 1tb flash drives for an all-flash storage server, what's the best value while still having decent reliability? This is actually a test server, we are developing software that can optimize storage. So if a drive blows up it's not the end of the world, but it still should not be total poo poo and have good IOPS.

I would have assumed the 850 Evo 1tb but they are $300 while the SanDisk Ultra II 960GB is closer to $200.

Go ask the SSD megathread.

How are you planning on connecting those 22 flash drives to the server?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

I too intentionally write job descriptions that disproportionately discourage women from applying

Well, this is the working in IT thread...

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Why pay for ten manual testers when you can hire two SDETs for the same price?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

anthonypants posted:

Microsoft doesn't believe in QA. Literally.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Why pay for ten manual testers when you can hire two SDETs for the same price?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Don Tacorleone posted:

I don't actually *want* to build a server, would I be better off buying an HP Proliant server?

Yes.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

Sales, service, hardware replacements, etc., no noteworthy issues?

It's been an interesting transition. Lenovo took most of the SystemX product engineering. In my space they are pricing very aggressively. Support and hardware maintenance is still handled by IBM. PM me for more info.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Arsten posted:

While I have worked with consultants in the past that were fantastic, my company doesn't seem to hire any of those. :smith: I work with business process systems. Not so much "We need AD!" but more "We have our organization organized this way and we need the software to reflect that business process for many reasons - a lot of them regulatory."

The last consultant had assigned a developer to us that had deployed our software package exactly once before and did so to a municipality. She recommended that we have someone sit and manually handle a process at each location nationwide. The total person count was ~45 new people and it would have made the "cost saving process" about 300x more expensive.

When I made this cost observation, her reasoning was that "At this municipality, they found a 78 year old lady who could do nothing but this process all day every day. It gave her a purpose." This was in a down market for the industry and we had just spent a year trimming almost 500 people from the workforce. I'm sure I could convince the C-levels to hire me 45 new people. Her response was "Well, this is industry-accepted practice! :v: "

Just talked to a coworker who had 10% of their project's budget spent on consultants who recommended a plan that cost 10x the project's budget.

Whoops.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Super Slash posted:

(I'm not really sure which thread to stick this in so apologies)

When it comes to Ethernet switches what's the latest hotness? I hear lots of good things about Ubiquiti (I've been eyeing up their Unifi switches), and HP is generally known for reliability.

Pretty much I need more ports in our rack and want to deal with our mish-mash of existing switches, particularly because the Allied Telesis models we have are pretty much end of life and can't be bought anymore, and the fact we're limited in way our office is wired so we need PoE from the cabinet.

Current switches;
x2 Allied Telesis AT-8000GS (PoE, 24 port)
x1 Netgear GS524T (No PoE, 24 port)
x1 Netgear GS524T (No PoE, No SFP Ports, 24 port, Sitting on a shelf doing nothing)

I would like to sell off the bunch and replace with all one manufacturer, I've made pretty good strides in standardisation since my time here with the rest of our hardware.

HP is good. All of the Juniper switches are excellent if you can get a decent discount.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

SaltLick posted:

Oh nvm it was just some remodeling dust and that got 8 firetrucks to come lol

A previous employer once set off the fire alarm at their datacenter by opening a floor tile that hadn't been opened in 10+ years and releasing a cloud of dust.

They evacuated the building; the alarm went off for a half hour before somebody called the fire department; the alarm wasn't being monitored.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you're choosing your own title, what's after senior sys admin?

Architect, fellow, thought leader.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sefal posted:

Had a talk with the senior tech.
Mostly about how it's going, what i'm doing, what i'm struggling with.
then he hit me with this one.

"I may be cutting my own fingers by telling u this, I really like having you here. You are still doing great work. But after you get your MSCE. I think you should find someplace else to work. I think the experience of another company will help you grow your skills "
So I asked if they weren't planning on extending my contract.
"no, it's not that. I want to have you here. We have plenty of projects in 2017 to keep you here"
I don't know what to make of this. Is he hinting that my contract at this place wont be extended but not saying it. Is he genuinily looking out for me? Either way. it's not a good feeling being told to find some other place to work.

It is a compliment, you goon. He respects your ability and thinks you have the potential to do more than what they have for you, so he is encouraging you to pursue professional development and giving you career advice.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

In fairness that 7 days has been Google's public policy for this stuff for years.

OTOH, check out the disclosure timeline on this one:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=837#c3

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Methanar posted:

But NTP drift is a real problem with virtualized environments, I thought.

Not in the last five years or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Latex is a great way to signal that you are a graybeard or a former CS academic. New power move is to do your resume in markdown.