Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

Just watch out that you're not getting marked as the guy who's "ruining a perfectly fine system just because he wants his team to be on call less and he doesn't care if it hurts the company".

It sounds like a lovely situation. Personally I'd have dumped this on the application teams manager.

Their guy, they have to get a replacement (or make the guy do that last week, which he knew was coming up and cleared his schedule for amyway).

Well technically both teams will be doing more on-call, just one team will be doing a lot more to cover their responsibilities.

Throw them under the loving bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've used https://flights.google.com with some decent luck.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SAP? Lots of alcohol in your future.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I use two phones, never going back to one. Being able to put the work phone on silent after hours is well worth the inconvenience of having two phones to charge etc.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

I guess they believe people don't quit jobs, they quit on managers.

So each person quitting is a reminder of them being a failure.

To be fair, this can be quite accurate...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Re: people leaving, I agree with the thread consensus that management should be chill and wish them well, but I make (made) an exception for people who don't stick for a reasonable amount of time. During my 13 years as a manager, the only time I ever complained about someone leaving was when someone came to my UNIX SA team out of the NOC, stayed barely long enough to get into our oncall rotation, and then quit. I told him straight up that I thought it was unfair to us, especially to the SA who had spend dozens of hours mentoring him, and that he should handle his job searches more carefully in the future.

You gave fair reasons for making that complaint to him, and if he's smart he'll have taken those to heart. This is worlds different from taking it as a personal insult that someone quit.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao move out of the third world

Not emptyquoting

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Stop dating your cousins.

Not empty quoting.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Holy gently caress so that security camera vendor that is cock blocking me from utilizing the software support contact I purchased? The one that sent a guy out to just sit in a conference room and remote in instead of working remotely? The guy that does nothing except call the software vendor to get the problems fixed, and plays middle man?

They just sent me a bill for $1500 hourly on-site support.

gently caress them forever, I'm going to enjoy telling them they've been removed from the approved vendors list.

Time to let legal do their thing?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

If sales want to pay out of their banked commission to ensure you all still get 4 hours OT then I don't see the problem here. Otherwise I assume this OOH work is entirely voluntary, so it's a shame nobody is available to work for this guy's clients.

This is the best solution to ensure that the sales guy won't repeat this particular mistake.

But who am I kidding, it'll never happen.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sepist posted:

Probably, but that doesn't mean this won't come back to haunt them. I will happily take my bonus next month and walk the gently caress out of here the first week of January and bring this up in the exit interview

Good man, don't get stuck in the well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My bank contact here in :norway: called me in somewhat of a frenzy this summer when I was bidding for my new apartment. She went like "OMG you're out of money in the loan, the loan won't cover your bid". Apparently she neglected to read my tax returns from the previous year where my assets and accounts were listed? :psyduck:

Probably one of the weirdest phonecalls I've had the last few years. And the apartment ended up $3k above listed, heh. The most lame-duck bidding war I've ever been in.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Out of respect for his attempt to help me when so few have I didn't insist that he drop it. I let him say his piece and wished him luck on his trip. The deal is absurdly large and he's been working for years to get it finished.

Do it.

Just do it.

I didn't read the unedited post, but I can guess.

People who are continously allowed to flake and then gets bailed out will never learn, this holds true if that someone is 30, 70 or 100.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

If you had to be right or smart my post count would be much lower. :v:

:same:

I'd rather be proven wrong, then I can learn from it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

In :norway: , we call them Accidenture. Their track record of loving poo poo up is quite impressive.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Welp, we just got acquired, I guess we're in for some interesting times ahead.

New owners seems like good people with rock solid financials and good internal policies, so I doubt it'll get any worse than it already was, heh.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm still rocking a Lenovo W530, got a W550s on my desk, but I've been lazy about migrating my poo poo. That being said I work in industrial automation, not IT as such, so that i7 comes in handy for Siemens software like Step7 and TIA Portal.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Had to cancel the city job interview. The money doesn’t work out there anymore and I couldn’t possibly do it at their proscribed time anyway, people scheduled me for stuff then and I have no PTO.

loving figures I would get a good lead after I get a raise. I still want to get out of here. I don’t trust management here post transition.

Speaking of no PTO, I need a day off. I was lit up during my on call weekend, had to come last weekend for storage clean up, and if I’m not working someone always has something for me to do early in the morning on the weekend. I haven’t gotten even 7 hours of sleep in a night in over 3 weeks. It’s really starting to get to me.

Who's piling bullshit on your plate on your off days? Jeez.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I turned avatars off... Some of the gifs are seizure-inducing.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah but it's how you Google it

Some people think this is a joke. It's not, though.

It takes a ton of contextual knowledge to use Google efficiently. Its very much an actual skill, but mostly discounted by those who have no idea how it actually works.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Worked a few hours yesterday and nearly a full day today getting a train power system ready for customer approval tomorrow.

Yay for double time and working with good people making working a weekend allright.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Peachfart posted:

Same. I had to fight this at my current job for years, and I finally convinced everyone, including management, that coming into work while sick lowers productivity overall.
Heck, we used to base part of your yearly raise on how many sick days you took that year. We'd get 8 a year, but if you used more than 3 you got the bare minimum raise.(???)

Man, policies like that are so counterproductive.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

Old company has sent me an extensive list of their customers for which I cannot work. It’s all companies they have done work for in the past 2-5 years or made a quote for. So if they were competing on roles at certain companies and didn’t get the bid I still can’t work for them. Which basically is every company in the top 250 of our country as well as all government branches on national/state level and all major cities.

They probably forgot my contract explicitely states I only have a non-compete for the customers I worked or had contact with. My new role is at one of their customers for which I did not work or had contact with. I guess I’m getting sued regardless.

Reply with a copy of your contract with the relevant bits highlighted?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sepist posted:

I prefer a hyrbid approach

Eww 1080p

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I just want a Lenovo 15" s-model with more than a 15W TDP cpu. My current W550s is pissing me off to the point where I might go back to the old W530 until they release the P52 with an 8. gen cpu.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I used to like softlayer :smith:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Vargatron posted:

In retrospect I learned a ton of professional and life lessons at that job. But drat all that experience was earned through some pretty major fuckups at times.

Good judgement comes from experience :eng101:

And experience? Well that comes from poor judgement :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He's correct in his general conclusion that Raid-5 is bad on even moderately large drives, but his math is wrong. He's treating probabilities as additive, which leads to ridiculous conclusions like that the change of rebuild failure on a 36TB array is a few hundred percent. If you had a raid-5 array composed of 12 1TB drives and you lost one the change of a UBE causing a rebuild failure would be around 58%, not near 100%. If the drives were 3TB you get to around 93% chance of failure. Those UBE statistics also vary depending on the age of the drive and other factors. Enterprise drives and some consumer drives have a UBE rate of 1/10^15 and that order of magnitude makes a substantial difference in probability of conjoined failures. Your two percentages for the previous examples change to a 23% and 8% chance of failure, respectively.

I came here to write this. The actual math boils down to RAID5 being pretty bad bad and RAID6 being surprisingly resilient, even with lots of larger drives.

This is a better rundown on how this actually works.

There's also this calculator that gives some ballpark figures, not really configurable for modern drives though.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

Eh, ZoL dev is active and stays in sync with openzfs upstream. Your best option if you want to run zfs on modern hardware.

But be sure you have backups; also reconsider if you haven’t had a beer with a zfs dev or had a beer with someone whose had a beer with a zfs dev.

XFS is great as long as you don’t need performant deletes.

I'm not a fan of ZFS myself, due to not being able to grow an array with a drive at a time (though they were looking into changing that a while back).

I've been running my home poo poo on linux + raid + XFS since forever, starting out in 2007 with 3ware 9500S cards and XFS and then later on SAS HBAs, mdraid6 and XFS... it just works, haven't had any dataloss since I installed my first server.

XFS is plenty fast, but deleting small files is a drag.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jaegerx is, unironically, this thread's John McAfee

Only his posting is even worse.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

very stable genius posted:

I mean, yeah but also git is a loving mess and it’s near impossible to figure out how to do things that seem simple on the surface. I just end up googling every time I need to do something more difficult than merge a local branch.

So you need to git gud? :downsrim:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Peachfart posted:

The second best tech on my team is an older lady in her 50's(I think). She is always self deprecating and calls herself stupid all the time when she is one of the most thoughtful and intelligent people I work with. She likes to tell me stories about how some customers will ignore her skills simply because she is a woman and it makes me really really mad.
Tech is mean to women and until everyone is forced to accept that it won't start going away.

A former colleague of mine struggled with this. Typical thing would be us out commissioning a new controller or doing an overhaul on a control cabinet, she doing the work and me supervising. Almost every single time, the customer would ask me any questions they had, and it was pretty obvious the assumption was that she didn't really know anything.

I'm fairly sure that the segment I work in (industrial automation) is even worse than IT :smith:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Contingency posted:

I can echo this. I did a stint in the military and graduated from college in my late 20s. I fell into that "no experience is better than some experience" trap and even had a recruiter refer to me as "mid-career" at a school job fair. Better to pass on 20 qualified candidates than risk getting a bad one, I guess.

I did the same... a few years in the Navy followed by a BSc in industrial automation. That combination got me masters degree-level pay starting out, heh :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

Sure, but when half of your company is currently running Win XP, Eudora 5(circa 2000), and Word Perfect suite 8(circa 1997), and the other half is on Win10, GSuite, and Office 365 and the manager wants to know why can't she open this complex excel sheet in loving Correl Quatro, or why Eudora 5 won't import outlook contacts correctly, it seems like a simpler and probably only solution would be to at least update to something made in the last ten years and has been supported for at least the last five.

What. The. gently caress.

That's an exaggeration, right? :ohdear:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

My boss used to be head of HR so she is anal about documenting every hour of PTO, even if it’s like leaving at 3 o clock on a Friday to collect my child.

I have 9 hours of pto left until dec 31st because I used the majority of it when my daughter was born in April. Hooray for first world countries with no paid family leave.

"First world" :smith:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Time to apply the 'no story - no help'-principle? :sun:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

nielsm posted:

Use IRC as a proper neckbeard.

Not emptyquoting

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You want to log actual power usage before landing on a specific solution.

And I'd probably look at a DC ups solution since the power draw is so low, using lifepo4 or li-ion batteries. There are more or less ready made packages for this.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've done some long point to point links with cheap edimax ap's and directional antennas... Over water. Worked fine, but it was only used for cctv :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Start calling them out, in a professional manner :v:

It's a sad state of affairs when "being professional" means "let people walk all over you".