Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

I dunno, maybe my Windows servers have blue-screened one too many dozen times and I just can't trust them to actually serve any more.

Not to get into a pissing contest but servers these days just don't blue screen for fun - if they are, and given your comments about how unreliable your Windows DHCP server are, it might say more about something in your Windows environment than it does Windows DHCP as a product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I understand his argument where if you want something with a few million years' uptime, you'd use Cisco IOS or a *nix of some sort. I've built a DHCPD server or two about 6 years ago that I'm pretty sure are still running.

Hell, I get a little nervous when I see a Windows server with an uptime longer than 100 days... like it's some sort of glitchy time bomb. Completely unfounded, I know, but the reputation is there and it's hard to shake.

So just run a pair like you would domain controllers or anything with a SPOF.

I'm not trying to claim that Windows is more stable, reliable, whatever term you want to use than a switch/router where the vendor has 100% control over the code and hardware, but in an AD environment, given how nicely Windows DHCP and DNS integrates, I'd need a compelling reason not to use them.

Plus the way it was written kind of sounded like "The Cisco guy said we should use Cisco" which is little bit like saying Turkeys don't vote for Christmas :)