Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

With the current climate towards higher education I kind of wonder if a degree is going to stay relevant. As a younger generation moves into management and hiring roles I would not be apprised if they started caring less about degrees. You already see that with younger startups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

evol262 posted:

This is the opposite of the industry trend.

"Younger startups" also have more people with degrees than did "young startups" three decades ago, or two decades ago during the .com boondoggle.

The current "climate towards higher education" is a lot of young people who got degrees because they had been told a degree in anything at all will get you 6 figures and a corner office, then they all got law degrees because that would get you six figures". The world doesn't work that way. But now they have a ton of loans and no good way to pay them back, so they're railing against it.

It is true, though, that not everyone needs to get a degree. And not everyone can make six figures. And not everyone should go to school. But think of it this way:

We're in one of the most lucrative industries in the country, with demand for foreign workers so high that the H1B visa pool fills up instantly every year, with jobs in the hippest cities in the country (with some of the highest cost of living in some of them).

Having a degree has always been a competitive advantage. I really don't mean what you mean by "younger startups", but github has more degrees than Microsoft did. This is true for everyone else. In no startup known for success (we can just pick top100 websites and companies who've been bought out by major players) is there a bias or backlash against degrees.

I suspect you were trying to make an unfalsifiable statement. Or conflating non-entry level workers (like the infrastructure admins or lead coders) who already have experience.

I'll repeat: why should I, as a hiring manager, founder, or whatever even hire someone without a degree when I can get someone with a degree and the same amount of experience for literally zero extra cost? Because that's the market. And that's the direction it's been going in for a while.

More people are getting degrees, not less. In no industry are they becoming less desirable.

If you want to make this argument, please give concrete examples of companies defying every metric.

I made a lovely quick phone post so let me expand, a lot of the backlash is because degrees have gone from being a good to have to a must-have with not a lot to actually show for them. This thread can't seem to even agree on what hiring someone with a degree gives you. We have too many people in IT with a degree that has nothing to do with IT so it isn't technical skills that the degree is giving people. Soft skills? Sure, being in college will help with soft skills. But it should not take someone 4 years to learn how to write well and work in a team. And having pretty much any job should help develop your soft skills, even a guy slinging hamburgers at McDonalds should be picking up how to interact with people and work in a team.

I don't disagree that a degree is a good career move, if you are trying to get into an entry level position or move up a degree will probably let you beat out someone who has the same work experience and certs as you. However, I think the reasoning behind it is a lot of bullshit. So my lovely post was me wondering if they'll be a backlash to that trend as a generation that has had to deal with the degree being the ground floor moves into hiring manager/founder/whoever is hiring positions.

Also as someone who just hired for an entry level position I did pick the candidate based on the fact that he was getting his degree. He was older, had a really long list of help desk jobs, but the fact that he was still going to school and learning suggested that he'd work in the position. The guys who'd been hired before who had degrees and a long history of experience were complete poo poo because they were in their 40's and decided that learning and effort were beneath them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

evol262 posted:

It actually does a little bit, in the same way as staying at employers for longer than a year early in your career does. It says "I can hack it even when it's lovely because I see you the long-term value in this". I mean, a degree doesn't say " I have job skills " (necessarily), but it does say "I'm able to complete long-term projects"

I'm phoneposting, too, and even though I have to repeat it, I want to be clear about the fact that I didn't have a degree for the first 8 years of my career and I don't think having one will change my prospects a hell of a lot until I go into upper management.

That said, even if I don't think the "soft skills" of a degree necessarily matter (and the availability of non-traditional options makes that harder to assert anyway), and I do think the IT industry in particular has a lot of people who don't like change and see the doors we came in through slowly getting gated with degrees, the backlash from a few pro-"bootstraps" startups doesn't drive industry trends compared to financial giants, large software firms, and people who just follow traditional practices so they hire whoever (meaning, largely, degrees) ala github/etc.

This is true, and I don't really disagree that a degree is a good way to get a foot in the door and is quickly becoming the only way. I'm just pissed at the overall system and wish it was different. If you're trying to get into IT a degree will be a big help, I just feel bad that you need to spend 4 years and a stupid amount of money just to start.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

Wasn't the whole thing of 'high school diploma', and then 'college degree required' just an attempt by the white man to keep darkies out of corporate America?

College degree required does seem to help the rich keep rich and the poor stay poor.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

psydude posted:

You heard it here, folks. Employers want people with degrees because they're waging class warfare.

Nothing that extreme, no one is sitting in their office cackling about all the poor people they are keeping from getting jobs. But it is a lot easier to get a degree if you have money, the price of a degree keeps rising, and it is increasingly becoming the only way to get a for in the door. The price just to get in is getting higher.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's Barron Harkonnen but he's wearing a top hat and cane, he's the ring leader.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

psydude posted:

YOTJ. Just accepted an offer to become a Sr. Security Engineer. $12k salary increase, $52/mo PPO, 3 weeks of paid vacation each year, and $6250/yr in tuition reimbursement.

Congrats, all of those benefits are pretty awesome.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What sort of info is out there for staffing levels on a helpdesk? I'm currently working on a helpdsk that handles about 300 tickets a day split between phones and emails. We support 10,000 users with about 16,000 devices. I was curious what sort of numbers we should have for staff compared to how many we do have.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

skipdogg posted:

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. For a company of our size we have a relatively small IT department, but over half of our end users are engineers and aren't very needy when it comes to IT help.

Personally I think the organization should set certain SLA standards, and then evaluate the work load. If you're not meeting SLA you need more staff. There are tons of blogs and articles that say 400 employees = 1 helpdesk and .5 admins or some poo poo, but really though, every environment is different.

Yeah, comparatively our users are not IT inclined. Mostly sales guys and service technicians who are very good at security systems but pure poo poo at anything else. We currently have 9 people handling those calls so yeah, it's pretty rough.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

You're so irreplaceable that they can't be bothered to pay you anything like a competitive wage for your position? And because you have a credit card?

Almost nobody anywhere is truly irreplaceable and the people that are aren't underpaid.

You don't get it, he's irreplaceable because no one else would let themselves get hosed this hard. He obviously has all the bargaining chips with the company to miserly to pay him a fair wage and there is no way they wouldn't just let him go to save the 5 bucks a week they pay him.

edit: Oh, I just realized Zero is in the Boston area. Now I'm scared about who he works for. You should tell us so I know to never work for them.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 3, 2014

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

When I asked for a raise a year back I asked you guys what the most impressive sounding title was and made them formally change me to it. In the corporate outlook directory I show as "Systems Engineer III" as the tiers don't go up any higher than that. There was no debate that I matched the job description though.

My experience is 4 years IT in the military and 5 at this company. I make 50k. My skills/duties have been the same at both places: Windows server 2003 administration, lots of GPO, all manner of computer janitor stuff, run ethernet/phone line/wifi, run a VoiP server, do a lot of CCNA-level stuff like I set up a VPN-Anyconnect portal myself, I'm the only guy supporting 300 full time users and 300 part time. I put in a chat server, Spiceworks ticket system, migrated to Windows 7, I didn't think most of it was that impressive but I've had a half dozen IT guys from all the other subsidiaries call me and have me guide them through everything over the phone.

My boss is director of three different departments so he doesn't have time to do much to help me other than being a firewall between idiot upper-management and me.

50k is helpdesk money where you are. You're being screwed so hard.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus, how are you guys so nonchalant about this?! How can you handle living/working somewhere that treats you like this, with no basic labour laws?

I am all :stare: right now.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I regretted it for so long.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, the recruiting posts are good poo poo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I have been training 2 new HelpDesk hires this month and have never been more motivated to quit. Both are over 50 with years and years of experience. They also seem to have no idea how a ticketing system works, one of them refuses to wear glasses even though it is obvious that he can not see the screen. I have to explain everything at least 4 times. One if them spent his first week making fun of women in IT and threw a fit about how he needs a laptop and Iphone. I keep explaining to my bosses how we need to just restart the intern program we had and staff the HelpDesk from that. Neither wants to because it involves paperwork.

e: also we are still on XP. This does not help my mood/suicidal tendencies.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 16, 2014

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

One of the trainees asked me what Heat was after I asked him to open it. It is the ticketing system that we use. He has been using it for 3 weeks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

Suddenly I feel much better about how I'm catching on.

You wrote that sentence with no typos and without any help. You will do far better then 2 middle age adults with more experience in the industry then I have been alive.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It is decent, a lot of it depends on how you set it up and use it. It has a lot of modules and is very flexible in how you set up the workflow. Also don't agree to be a heat admin, the documentation from front range is pure poo poo.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

dogstile posted:

To be fair to the guy, i'm pretty sure nobody except the manager and I knows what helpdesk software we use at my place. Everyone just says "the helpdesk". "Open the helpdesk" "put a ticket on the desk" etc etc.

We all call it by its name. I have been trying to pound it into his head.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This inspired me to look at his post history outside of the IT threads. He was really good at thread making GBS threads.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Alfajor posted:

Doctors, amirite? :rolleyes:
This guy was the biggest manchild about a problem, would refuse to give any more examples, would yell "I've already shown you the problem, it's been a month, just fix itttttt".

It was a bitch, but issue was fixed after a week of digging through the haystack. No word from the doctor. I ask if he's noticed an improvement... he replies via email with "fixed. thx"

I guess I won't expect anything positive from him... the future owner as the current one is set to retire in a year or two. I think I'll start updating my resume.

Someday I want to go into the doctor's office, tell him my butt don't work, it ain't been workin for a month, and why can't he just fix it. No you can't look at it, I'm too busy doing butt stuff.

I wonder how he'll do.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So I do all the training for our new Helpdesk techs. The whole training process is a bit haphazard, before this I hadn't done any training and my boss didn't give much direction on what she wanted. At this point though I've got it down, I've onboarded 5 people and they've all worked out well, been good techs, and seemed to quickly get up to speed on things even if there were a few speed bumps.

However, the newest guy is still struggling a month in. He has trouble with things like how to read a ticket and see what's going on with it. Anytime I ask him what's confusing him or how I can help he gets super defensive and just replies that no one showed him the system or screens so he doesn't know what to do, this is never true. Anything he's been struggling with is something he's been shown 3 or 4 times now. I have no idea what's the right point to start suggesting to my boss that we might want to look for some one else because this guy can't hack it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

May you give an example of what's exactly happening? What about the ticket can't he read? How is he super defensive? What screens is he looking at?

2 big examples is anytime someone calls in for a status update you can go back and look at their open ticket and see what tech has it, what group they're in, and there are journals showing how the ticket got moved around. We're using Heat so when you open the ticket up that information is the first thing you see. I've walked through with him multiple times, showed him what the different fields mean, how to navigate through the journals that people added, but when he is on his own he seems to forget all of it.

We also deal with Iphones a lot, installing the MDM applications onto them. We have a bunch of iphones here for everyone to use and break, I'd shown him the install process and how it worked a bunch of times. Whenever he runs into one of these calls he asks for help and if you ask what's confused him or if he remembers what we did last time he just replies that no one showed him and he's never seen the screens or done it before.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Misogynist posted:

Congratulations, you have an employee with attention deficit disorder!

Different people have different learning styles; try them out until you either find one that works or are convinced that the person is a terrible learner and will never work out. If your idea of "walking through with him" means you drive and he watches, stop that now. Put him in a position to be a kinesthetic learner. You pair on the issue, he drives, you watch. Give him tasks to complete, and observe, but don't micro-correct until he's done (unless he's about to make a mistake that's difficult to undo, of course). Don't stare over his shoulder with other people in the room or do anything to make him feel like this is a disciplinary function. He may have some issues connected to processing auditory input that lend themselves to written documentation; ask him to take his own notes. (Do not ask to see his notes when he's done; do not make him feel like he's being graded on his note-taking.)

Yeah, I've been thinking that. It started out with him just being shown things but he said he was a hands on learner, I am too, so we've mostly been doing that. He'll drive and be given the steps or have the process explained while he drives. I've tried to back it all up with written documentation for him and having him take his own notes. He takes a lot of notes but never seems to reference him. At this point, he's been here for a month, he's pretty much on his own unless he's coming to me asking for help and I keep an ear out on him while doing my own work to make sure he's not about to make a horrible can't undo mistake.

Imposter syndrome is totally a thing and our environement does suck. There isn't a lot of support and I've tried really hard to make the Helpdesk less lovely to work on and stress to any of the new hires that they are going to feel in over their heads at first, that the guys who have been here for a bit and our senior techs are 100% willing to help them out, and the first few weeks are pretty much blame free. I expect them to make mistakes.

The guy is also really nice, he's just a very slow learner and isn't hitting the ground the way I expected him to. He had a pretty extensive resume and I just wasn't expecting him to have this much trouble.

Edit: Also you do sound like a kickass manager. Even if it doesn't help out with this guy just thinking about it has me generating some ideas on making things easier for the group.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 8, 2015

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Quick question, first time doing a real interview process and salary talk. Is it kosher to ask about salary range before a 2nd interview? I already met with the hiring manager and desktop team. I am now meeting with their CIO.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I have considered doing the same a bunch of times but it feels super sleezy.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What info do you use to figure out where your salary is at? I'm changing job markets and I'm also currently underpaid right now. I made the mistake of mentioning my current salary which is low for my current market so I'm trying to get some info so I can argue for a pretty large increase.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A new job! :yotj: I just put 2 weeks notice in today, moving from Central MA to Boston, smaller office, no more phones/helpdesk, A decent raise, and I get to say gently caress off to all the terrible terrible people I work with. (I won't because I like my unburnt bridges but I'm happy to never see them again.)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Development is more IT experience then a lot of people have when they get their first job. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're super worried look into getting an A+ cert.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I have discussed salary with coworkers though it was always so when reviews came up they knew if they were getting hosed or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pascale has changed in 10 years.