Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Keyboard-driven workflow? Who wants to gently caress around on a keyboard? What if it's dark and I can't touch type, or I have an Oculus Rift on my face, or trying to jerk off, or in the back of the server rack with a wireless mouse against my pants and I don't wanna hold up a wireless keyboard with one hand and type with the other one?
If I can't set the static IP of a network adapter in less than 6 clicks I get pissed off pretty fast. Win 8/10 both keep developing new ways to hide it from me.

How are you going to set a static ip without a keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

pmchem posted:

Can someone explain to me what sharepoint is actually used for in big corporations, that is a good, productive, unique use?

I've recently been exposed to sharepoint and it has useless document tracking, a blog that nobody uses (and seems better served by actual blog or web software) and a discussion board that is about 1000x worse than phpBB or vBulletin. If anyone wants to share files they just use shared drives.

We have a few clients who use it mostly for the file versioning and all of the tools that integrate with it. If you are already using office you can get collaborative live editing, version history tracking, indexing, compliance with legal requirements, integrates with ad for intranet website, process management. At my last job creating a new account required uploading a SAAR to sharepoint and then having multiple people digitally sign it to track the whole process. Also I have seen automatically updating phone books based on active directory. Subsites for clients that keep track of all the deliverables so they are externally accessible. For doing any one task individually there is a smaller quicker product, but once you need to do many different things, or you want other features like compliance and auditing and SharePoint is going to be the best answer.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

At work, I've got a large number of servers that need to be monitored in a windows environment.
On a periodic basis, I'm supposed to get hard drive space, verify antivirus, check the event logs and check performance

For Hard Drive space, I've written a powershell script that basically takes care of it.
For Antivirus, there's a way to get at it with WMI, but it's not really documented what the return values mean.
For event logs, I've been looking at Perfmon /rel because it gives a good "At-a-glance" view of system stability but I can't figure out how to do that remotely.
For performance I can set up logging I guess, but I don't know if I'd get something useful out if it.

I'm wondering, are there any good (preferably free) options that would help me out? Ideally I'd like to have this thing be automated so I just get a report on all the servers.
If that's not possible, I'd like something that I could give to 10 different people for 100 servers and get consistent results.

Any ideas on what I should be looking at?

Does your antivirus have a centralized reporting function?

For all of the others do you use any monitoring products already? We use n-able but I have heard good things about kaseya and nagios.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Methanar posted:

Running that in my own domain and the recipient domain was the first thing I did. No blacklists. MX records are correct. Ptr and SPF are present etc.

Its rediculous how I'm being treated as the authority on so many matters. My boss refers me to this type of thing because he believes I have a better chance of fixing it than him when I have zero qualifications or experience. This job was supposed to be t1 troubleshooting and installing printers and began with a week of garbage picking.

Every time I can't fix something immediately I feel like I'm letting everyone down and preventing them from doing their jobs. Bring paid 50% more than I ever have stresses the hell out of me too because I feel like I'm not earning the crazy ( to me ) amount of money.

Were you able to find many similar issues when looking up the specific smtp error?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So what's everyone's current go-to laptop for people whose primary concern is portability & weight? Without spending more than ~$1500.

We're primarily a Dell shop but I can get people whatever, as long as it has a TPM. The i5 non-touchscreen XPS 13 looks pretty nice? Also have a few Surface Pro 3s floating around.
If you need the port replicator for the dock an E7440 is very nice but you can't beat the weight and screen quality of the XPS 13. The XPS does not have an ethernet port but the trackpad is nicer than the E7440. Make sure your imaging process is compatible .

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Danith posted:

I feel like I can't use the AIX position on my resume either because even though we have one, it just kinda sits there now and runs our oracle database. No one really touches it. It will be a fun experience if it ever goes down though.

You absolutely can use this on your resume. I would look at companies you want to work at and positions you want to do and then try to get certifications or work on projects at your current position that relate. Have you updated your resume or talked to any recruiters recently?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

evol262 posted:

Who needs two factor auth at a financial when you can just get by with "something you have?"

Surely their security guys have no problem with this

The usmc uses a smart card with a 6-8digit pin. They do not use this, and just use a username and pass in deployed environments. Authentication is a really hard problem to get right. I am not surprised that function two factor auth is so rare.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

The point of lastpass and many of the other password managers is that even if you get the hashed passwords it doesn't get you any useable data without costly amount of computing time.(5,000 round hashing) You would still have to guess the password used by the client.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup true, but overall, based on the security breaches losing trust and general risk associated with the cloud, I would personally not use Lastpass anymore nor recommend it to others.

There is no risk regarding any security breaches with lastpass, they never has access to your plaintext passwords, only the hashes, which are then stored encrypted on there servers. The worst case scenario of a rogue employee taking the unencrypted hashes still leaves them without useful data. The biggest risk of using last pass is that you will lose your account permanently if you do no remember your password. The alternatives to lastpass are all significantly more risky when you consider how people will actually use them.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Docjowles posted:

I'm pretty happy with the compromise of KeePass + Dropbox. It's less convenient (particularly on mobile), for sure. I probably wouldn't recommend it to my parents. But at least I can rest assured that the only dipshit who could mess it up and store my master password or security challenge insecurely is me (:saddowns:). If Dropbox gets hacked, oh well, there's some unidentifiable encrypted binary blob in my data. If someone breaks AES encryption, we all have bigger problems anyway. To be fair, the bigger risk is that the KeePass devs or the libraries they use hosed up the implementation. But that's no different than any other encryption tool.

Dropbox also supports two-factor auth.

The best part for me is the mobile integration for lastpass. It pops right up when filling secure forms with the stock keyboard It really reduces the times I reuse the same weak password and I don't have to spend as much time recovering and remembering complicated passwords. There was an article, The Only Secure Password Is the One You Can’t Remember that illustrates why just remembering passwords is not feasible.

Security wise, does storing the blob part with dropbox and then decrypting it on your computer end up any more secure than storing the blob with lastpass and then decrypting it locally?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

This is the story of corporate America, H1B or not. My dad had the same situation with his adjuster job at Travelers, except instead of H1B employees, it was 24-year-olds that cost a lot less than a senior adjuster with 40 years experience in the auto industry. If we provide those kinds of worker protections, we shouldn't focus too hard on the H1B side of things -- xenophobia is distracting us from who the problem is.

The H1B visa program exists to allow skilled workers to fulfill a shortage after many requirements are met. If this program is causing tax payers to lose jobs it is not an issue of xenophobia. If the program is causing more hard than good it is not going to be supported as a policy.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Which taxes are H-1B workers not paying? They pay income taxes (on which they're not allowed to claim the standard deduction), they pay FICA taxes in almost all circumstances despite rarely being able to collect on social security, they pay sales taxes on everything they buy, their landlords are responsible for property or land use taxes which are paid using their money.

I'm not saying that workers losing their jobs to less-qualified people is anything less than reprehensible. But if we're really taking a stand on behalf of those workers' rights, we should be approaching this from a standpoint of actually protecting those workers, instead of just focusing on one overblown way that companies are attempting to lower their labor costs like that's going to fix anything.

I work for an MSP so I see this a little differently. Many of the companies we work with fire at least some of their IT staff after becoming clients. If you are a 40 person company and have 6 full time IT guys, you aren't providing enough value for the cost.

From the financial perspective of H1B, much of there money is not being spent in the area and is being sent home, they are only staying for one job, taking valuable experience. If the H1B requirements were changed to allow replacing current workers the welfare costs would increase.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Eonwe posted:

lol at people unironically defending the use of H1Bs as they are currently used

disney: we cant get the professionals we need, lets get some people some H1Bs, lay off the employees literally already doing the job we claim we can't get employees for, and literally force those employees to train the workers or they don't get their severance package

yea H1Bs as they are currently used own and are just part of :freep: market forces :freep:

This is a misrepresentation of what is happening. HCL and Cognizant(consulting companies) attempt to hire for jobs that don't yet exist with very specific skillsets. They are then able to get H1B visas approved and hire foreign workers. Companies like Disney outsource their IT department and layoff some workers. It is normal to have current employees turnover information to consultants/contractors. At no point is Disney hiring foreign workers. If Disney is able to replace ~500 jobs with outsourced workers, it would be a similar situation if they used foreign workers or not.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

evol262 posted:

Which is market forces. We are, as an industry, absurdly overpaid. Few other careers net you 6 figures with 7-8 years of experience and no degree. Few careers expect regular 10-30% jumps in salary every 18 months when you switch jobs until you hit that $100k+ market cap. I enjoy this. But maybe it's because there's a skill shortage that expanding the labor pool (via h1bs or whatever) alleviates. You see it as scabbing. It might be normalization.

I don't think that. I think this is a normal market adjustment. I think that I'd rather equalize pay between professions than rage at how they're cutting down IT wages. I wish Disney were doing this so they could pay other workers more. They're not, I'm sure.

But "don't love h1bs ->racist" isn't right. "muh jobs/wages -> racist" is a bit.

It is about the value you bring to a company, and what the next best alternative is. The reason these wages are what they are is because it saves money or creates value for the employer. There will always be niche industries that will be affected by commoditization, but there are new industries springing up just as fast.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Swink posted:

My workplace has 150 staff in various locations. Our IT Support is completely unstructured. What are some tips to creating a highly effective support team?

Step 1 - Get Ticketing System.

Step 2 - ???

I have myself and one other guy to utilise. Should I just read that ITIL book?

Edit - I realise the answers can be unique to each workplace, I'm really looking for broad ideas that I can fit to apply to us.

Tell the staff requesting work they have to do some small prerequisite before you can start. Gain influence and buy in with key decision makers to help with any future changes to IT. Automate tedious and repetitive tasks.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

syg posted:

Well I'm not really in a position to "do anything" aside from whine about it or look elsewhere for work. It was told to me by my CIO without my inquiring. I feel it could be hard to supervise and work with someone directly knowing that I am taking all the responsibility but not being compensated any differently. If the consensus is that it wouldn't bother anyone else then perhaps I am overreacting and just need to forget about it.

Unless you work for a giant corp, having someone who isn't pulling their weight affects your bonuses/raises. I would make sure they are trying to hire a replacement helpdesk person for when this webdeveloper is no longer there. They may just be keeping them on to cover the workload until a replacement is hired and trained.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Happiness Commando posted:

Can someone who works at a sucessful MSP talk about how you manage documentation? Right now much of our institutional knowledge is locked up inside our heads, and in fact, we recently had a new hire quit because he was expecting a corporate-like (single) environment with a fully populated knowledgebase instead of multiple discrete environments, each with their own quasi-, poorly-, or undocumented quirks.

Right now we overwhelmingly have the following:

Installers, instructions, and license license details in a shared folder
Contact info for LOB/systems support in a cloud storage service
Almost no KB articles, but 2 KB frameworks
No centralized infrastructure documentation like IP schemes or infrastructure diagrams

So yeah, it sucks. How am I supposed to fix it, and what do successful solutions look like?

We keep almost everything in connectwise configs. Some configs will have word documents attached if there are screenshots and instructions. This works really well for our business because it integrates with billing, projects, tickets, configs, RMM/monitoring and our in house tools for metrics. N-Able pushes some information to connectwis so some of the configs are created and updated automatically like ip and dns settings of servers.
The more important part is getting everyone to understand that documentation needs to be factored in when you do work. If everyone wants to just keep everything in their head you will still have problems no matter what software you use.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

rafikki posted:

Just wrapped up my three month contract to hire period and got an official job offer :yotj: It was a bit nervewracking being laid off from my first IT job after three months due to a buyout but a month of being unemployed later I started this 3 month period with a 50% raise over the last job. And, I'm learning a lot more than I was on top of that.

One question, for LinkedIn/resumes etc in the future, should I split up the period where I was technically a contractor employed by a consulting company and the time that I officially work for the actual company or just put it as an uninterrupted block of time? For the purposes of background checks and such, I'm sure I need to mention that I was employed by two separate companies in that time period but how about as far as cluttering up my resume?

I would not split it out. What matters is your work experience and the knowledge you bring to a future employer. That is not affected by a change in where your paycheck comes from while working in the same role.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

flosofl posted:

That could cause issues when they call for employment verification. The previous employer typically won't say much, but they will verify that "yes, raffiki worked here from MAR 2015 until DEC 2017", while his resume has JAN 2015 until DEC 2017. At best that will raise eyebrows.

Usually there will be a separate job application form from your resume that lists out this type of questionnaire. A technical resume can cut out a lot of extra details and focus on making you look awesome and getting an interview. Keeping it to one page is really important. You should tailor your resume to each job application and leave off unimportant parts

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Methanar posted:

He came back to work at the end of the day while I was talking to IBM and pulled me into his office about how I'm not following instructions, undermining him because people would rather ask me for help than him (while he was gone for a week and a half), I'm lying to him, etc . He didn't give me permission to call IBM, make a backup of the email database, etc so I am on probation and next time he has to talk to me about my actions I'll be fired.

While I had the chance I pushed hard the issue of "are you serious we have no backups and you want me to 'do it'" and how this motivated me to make a backup of the NSFs. He assured me management is aware of the situation and he himself knows the risks and that I should trust him because he's got 10 years experience on me. Then just a minor tirade about how I'm bad at customer service and ruining his perfect relationship with management.

Am I wrong here or does create a step by step guide really not constitute calling IBM.

If this wasn't in writing it never happened. If he was just missing from the office for a few weeks he is probably being fired and trying to find a reason that he can't be fired.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

fluppet posted:

Does anyone have any advice on convincing your boss to let you WFH/find a coworking space full time rather than doing the 180mile round trip to the office 3 times a week.

Has your company taken steps to enable remote workers to meaningfully contribute to the company? Does your boss have any specific objections? It is a complex process to make remote work beneficial for both the employees and the company.

How did you end up with such a long commute?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I've taken a mental health day today if only because I'm at a loss for what I want to do with myself. For the past two years I've been doing Desktop and Helpdesk support for a few different employers. It seems that no matter what I do I can't really get any satisfaction in anything I do on a day to day basis because it's quite simply apply bandaid move onto next issue. Oh you're not moving fast enough because you're balls deep in an issue, too bad here's another. I'm at the point where I'm switching off as soon as I come in the door and go home just kinda lifeless like I'm all used up. It's been great for getting myself back up to speed after my last job turned out to be "You don't have access to anything important, ever" and desktop rebuilding simulator 2014.

My commute round trips to about 3 hours what with a NJ Transit bus and walking across midtown Manhattan and I work an offset 1pm to 10 pm shift. Monday-Friday. I think I need to branch into a sysadmin or network admin role if I want to avoid this talk to angry stockbroker burnout that I feel everyday because my passion is in systems, not iPhones.

I'm hesitant to search for a new job cause it probably looks absolutely terrible on my resume, but I can't really be arsed to stick it out for at least a year. I'm also considering quitting, going back to the local community college and getting an associates in gen ed to get the checkbox of "Degree Y/N" filled in just a little while getting a CCNA and MCSA Server 2012 nailed out in time for me to graduate next summer. I'm just afraid what an employer would think of the employment gap.

What matters to employers most is demonstrating your value to the company during the hiring process. An employment gap isnt a huge deal and I would try to learn what you can from your current position. You have to look out for yourself first. That commute is brutal.

Eonwe posted:

By the way - I was in a similar job to helldesk - raising people's rent. Nobody calls and is happy about their rent incase and I couldn't get any satisfaction either, so I 100% get where you are coming from. I was in that situation too and getting out of it was the best thing I've probably done in my life as far as my happiness goes.

Shouldn't this be done in writing? I can't imagine many people stayed with this job for long.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

I'm a little annoyed required years of employment when honestly rather arbitrary. Someone on helpdesk for 3 years isn't going to be necessarily more skilled than a peer with 4 year. The same goes for even System Administration positions.

On a completely different subject, I swear on my soul that I was once able to successfully ping the network address of a network. To be specific, I was able to ping 192.168.1.0/24.

I know it doesn't make any sense but I swear I saw this occur. Is there another explanation?

Cisco devices with ip subnet-zero can use network ips

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

CloFan posted:

We're looking at O365 because our Exchange server is 2003 and bossman wants to move to hosted instead of on-prem. The past couple weeks seem spotty for O365. The other alternative is Google, which he's apprehensive about for whatever reason.

We have had nearly zero downtime with apptix.net and appriver both. Office 365 is really cheap for nonprofit and education though.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Most companies have prevent firing permanent workers without a valid reason, that do not extend to contract workers. This is especially true in larger companies with well defined company policies, even in at will states. Contractors are often going to have the legal minimum amount of rights, where the full time coworkers are better protected. Also contractors can receive benefits, but in practice the benefits for full time workers are nearly always better for the same position. Contract jobs are rarely compensated for the additional risk of finding new employment. This doesn't mean that all temporary or contract to hire jobs are never worth it, but that a contract should pay more per hour to compensate compared to a full time position.

When a large company hires someone on for a 3-6 month contract to hire position are they getting paid a greater salary compared to full time workers to make up for PTO/healthcare/401k?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

evol262 posted:

The law distinguishes between W2 and not W2, not contract or not. Being 1099 in a directly managed position (i.e. not actually independent) is a big no in employment law. And the IRS gets mad.

Termination of contract is easier because they're not your employee, but this is an argument in favor of contracting, not against, given that Misogynist's "just sit down and drop the hammer on a staff member who's not working out" is easily applied in one of these situations but not the other.

But really, W2 contractors don't really have less legal protection.

And in practice, contract workers often make more. Health insurance isn't great as a contractor, and you won't get very good 401k matching (some firms are ok), but these are ancillaries and "nice to have" benefits.

A W2 contractor for any large company is not going to be fired without reason, even though legally they could be, because there is a company policy. A contractor for Teksys/tata/kelly services that is doing work for a large company will be fired without any prior warning. Health insurance and 401k are pretty important unless you want to work for the rest of your life. Even completely well intentioned contract to hire jobs are doing a disservice to the new hires by paying them much less in total comp initially in an opaque way.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

rafikki posted:

Packet tracer is always your friend, too.

Packet tracer added a sniffer. It is really easy to use and you can see exactly what is happening to illustrate concepts like tcp handshakes. If you haven't used the new version I would recommend it.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

This is a weird question, and possibly one I could find the answer for elsewhere, but I thought I'd ask here anyway.

I'm studying subnetting for the CCNA (and networking knowledge in general), and it's got me wondering. Was the technique whereby you subnet out a given address range - increasing the subnet mask value to split up the pool of addresses - something that was designed as part of IPv4's original creation, or was it "discovered" later in IPv4's life? The technique obviously makes sense within the protocol, but I guess I'm wondering if the people who thought IPv4 had the foresight to see that this would be necessary back in the 80s when it was being drawn up and people thought several billion IP addresses would be plenty for a really long time. Hoping this makes sense?

CIDR was not used for a long time. Before thaip addresses were divided into different classes based on the first couple of bits. Ie, if the first bit is a 0 it is a class a network.(/8 network)

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Walked posted:

Any suggestions for a robust, offline, Windows AV scanning product? Tried AVG's offering the other day, no luck. Our endpoint protection didnt pick it up either.

(Had a user get something that was spamming our DC with 1000+ requests per minute, leaving authentication failures in the DC log; hitting successive ports, one-by-one).
Pulled him off the network immediately, but in the process of doing an incident report, and I'd really like to be able to identify what he managed to do to himself.

Anyone seen something similar or have an offline solution to suggest?

Do you want something to remove this infection and cleanup the computer just this time? I have used norton power eraser a number of times to remove malware and it works pretty well. It really depends on what the problem is, you might be better off just wiping the computer.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

I'm not actually sure I agree with this. Anchoring is a pretty well understood psychological phenomenon and in theory the person who throws out the first number has a chance to anchor the negotiation at that higher number. If you throw out a number at the very high end of your expectations you set the baseline to begin negotiating there and will likely end up settling at a higher number than if you let the company throw out a first low offer that you have to negotiate up from.

If you're still relatively junior and you throw out a very high number though you might price yourself out entirely, though generally you've got to be well out of their range for that to just shut down the conversation entirely, and in that case you probably didn't want the job anyway. I don't think there's any single hard, fast rule for this stuff though, it's going to vary from individual to individual and company to company, which doesn't sound like useful advice, but there's no magic bullet for getting better jobs and making more money, it's a combination of luck, talent, and personality and what works for one person won't necessarily work for another in a different situation.

If you say a number first and it is below the hiring parties max, you have limited yourself. If you say a number below their low end you you are limiting yourself even more, and potentially putting yourself under scrutiny.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Dark Helmut posted:

The 30 wouldn't happen. If someone is that far off yet still somehow qualified, there's something else keeping him down there...

They could be moving from a lower cost area. Hired out as an intern, or without a degree and then never got a substantial raise. They could have been hired out with the promise of a future raise or training and it never happened. They could have been a founder at a startup or worked at a small company with or without equity that never panned out. They could work for a non profit, or just a company they really love for way below market rate. They could have accepted the first offer they got without really understanding the market. They might just be poor at negotiating salary. There are a ton of different reasons why someone is making below market rate that has no impact on their job performance.

Responses like this are exactly the reason you should not tell your current salary to a recruiter or potential employer.

Have a realistic goal for what it would take to leave your current job when talking to a recruiter. For some people that will be less than they are making now. The recruiter should only submit you to positions in your salary range. When negotiating with a potential employer salary and benefits should be discussed after both sides know it is a good fit and let them say the first number.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know this question gets asked a lot, but I don't have search.

I'm searching CL, Indeed, Dice, and Linkedin. Are there any other search engines that are worth the time? I know Careerbuilder and Monster have a worse reputation now.

Depending on what industry you want to work in cyber coders, usajobs.gov clearedjobs.net clearancejobs.com.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Use divide, touchdown, or nine so they can still wipe the part of the phone with company email. It also helps to keep work and personal separate on your phone.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

I would gladly not carry a work phone but I want to be able to turn off my work calls when I'm on holiday, and Google Voice isn't a thing here. I could technically divert my desk phone, but then if I call people back they get my personal number with which to nag me.

I'm surprised nobody is addressing what I guess is a fairly common BYOD byproduct. Even if it's just letting people choose the number they present when they dial out, and it places the call through a gateway the office hosts or something.

With Masergy/broadcore you can dial out from your cell phone and it shows up as the work number. I am surprised this is not more common.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

internet jerk posted:

"what's RFC1918"

This is a surefire way to only end up hiring people exactly like the interviewer and excluding a ton of competent candidates. Try using open ended questions to find out what they know instead of focusing on if they know the specific answer you are looking for.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

A really smart friend of mine got screened out of a technical position with Cablevision some number of years back because he's a philosopher by nature and basically built to overthink nonsense questions like "stealing candy is always wrong."

In an interview you have to answer questions a certain way to get hired. If you answer why you left your last job honestly you are not putting yourself in the best position. You want to talk about how you outgrew your responsibility. If a personality test asks that, it is never OK to steal, you never use drugs, and you are a model employee. The whole hiring process is full of dumb stuff like this. Some companies expect you to reuse keywords from the job posting in the cover letter, and some don't even read it. Most large companies expect you to upload a resume, and then copy and paste different parts into a web based system.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

What if instead of a smiley face j accidentally send a winky face?

:gonk:

Be careful with your font tags so that the rest of the text doesn't get garbled, or use the alt+1 smiley to be safe ☺

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

How prevalent would you guys say that having to work on-call is in the IT field? I realize that this is an amazingly general question that varies based on company and your specialty. I'm just trying to get an idea.

Basically I'd like to avoid ever having to be on-call again if possible; I did it for a year (one week a month) at my first lovely IT job and it sucked. But I'm not sure how feasible this is. I don't have to ever be on-call at my current job but I don't think I'll be here too much longer, either, and I don't want to avoid an otherwise great opportunity just because they have a rotation.

I work for an MSP where most people are on call twice a year. It is for a whole week each time and it comes with extra pay. There is bonus pay for holiday weeks and you can trade or buy and sell on call weeks. Having almost everyone share the on call rotation, and having a company that is just IT changes it from what on call is at a lot of smaller companies. We only provide emergency support after business hours.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

psydude posted:

That's not on call. On call is "Make yourself available during these hours. Be sober, in the area, and ready to drive to the data center in case something happens that we need to deal with." Escalating to a senior level resource in the event something critical explodes is just life in general, regardless of industry, position, or field of employment.

Do companies really require people to be sober while on call if they could still work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just got an email from a recruiter today for a help desk pose. On average it pays $48k, which would be a good raise. Except it's in Oakland. Lolno.

I'm not even sure why you would try to recruit someone from Colorado for a job in CA, anyway.

I work for a company in Oakland and moved from MI. We get about half of the new employees from out of state. It might even be the same one that emailed you. A lot of people want to live in the bay area. Mild weather all year round, hardly any rain, no snow. The whole area has great job growth and it is making it harder to find local employees. Employers in general would rather hire someone who is currently working than take a chance on someone. More employed people will pass the phone screening and technical interview by far, so it is a better use of the recruiters time to focus their efforts Also more companies are hiring experienced people for all roles and have very few entry level positions.