Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I wonder how long it'll be before movies and sitcoms become incomprehensible to average Americans.

:confused:
"Why is he complaining about the Monday to Friday nine-to-five? That's the best shift. Maybe he's taking classes or something."
"Oh, he got a membership in the Jelly of the Month Club! That's so cool, last year I got one movie pass for Christmas but it expired before I got to use it. Janet got fired as a Christmas bonus."

This is like how when I was a kid and only saw in Al Bundy his hate for his job, his wife, his kids and his life in general. Now I see a man who can support a family of four and a mortgage as a shoe salesman. As a boy, I was afraid I would end up like him. Now, I wonder if I even have what it takes :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

dogstile posted:

Being a good salesman is pretty well paid work. I've got a friend who sells carpets, gets a 2% commission.

A company representative went in to see him last week and he sold them an entire 6 floor buildings worth of carpets. He was only chatting to them for three hours, got himself around £1400.

e: Granted, he told me he gets a ridiculous commission percentage and this is the first time he's made so much in one sale, but :drat:

What's cost of living like in the UK? Like, single adult, bare minimum, in the US is like $14k to $25k depending on whether you're in Walla Walla, Washington or Washington D.C.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 4, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My biggest regret about living in a small city is that I can't do this. Every time I'm in a real urban area I get overwhelmed by close, cheap and awesome food and it's bliss.

Last time I was in Manhattan I found a place called Prosperity Dumpling -- 10 for $2

When I left, I felt like I was leaving them behind. Ten cabbage/pork dumplings for two freaking dollars, my god

The dumpling place in my city is like 12 for $7.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Congratulations, that's hilarious and awesome, but yeah, tipping your hand like that? That doesn't sound like a way of doing things where they necessarily stay done.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Jesus, how are you guys so nonchalant about this?! How can you handle living/working somewhere that treats you like this, with no basic labour laws?

I am all :stare: right now.

This is America; Lower your expectations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
What are you guys doing, though?

I find moderate strength training followed by a cool shower incredibly invigorating. Cardio? Intense training? Nope.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

joe944 posted:

Head of HR left the company with a rather venomous farewell email, and I feel rather proud of the fact that I was called out directly for making their jobs difficult after they attempted to not pay overtime for on-call hours, even though it was said completely out of context in an attempt to make me look stupid.

I'm imaging something like:

"...and joe944 just couldn't shut the hell up about us stealing his pay; very unprofessional, joe!"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Any tips for entry-level interviewing? I have no experience. Should I emphasize my ability to be punctual while also sober?

I'm just at the stage of sending out resumes to generic Desktop Support and Technical Support positions.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I don't really know how that term could possibly result in that image, but then again, Internet.

I once image searched high rise apartment while striking out search terms until I didn't see anything but apartments on the first few pages. Ran out of results on page 52, which was only a partial page. Google tacked on a page 53 with three naked chicks just for good measure.

I honestly wonder if they do that on purpose.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Edit: Nevermind.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 14, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Talking about money like that really is pretty awkward

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Was he Canadian?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Any of you ever hear of an IT guy pulling off US → EU immigration with a WGU degree?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
What's the most 'Cave Troll / No Human Contact' area in all IT?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Sounds reasonable to me? Datacenters can see electricity and facility bills in the tens of thousands per month just for cooling. I don't think it's absurd to pay $1000 a year for 5 2U servers if they're covering electricity and cooling, and in fact that sounds like a pretty good deal.

At what point is it cheaper to pay hobos to pedal stationary bikes connected to fans?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 11, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Edit: Nevermind.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 11, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I sense deception.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I've dated 4 girls all with the same last name, no relation. It's very important to have standards.

drat, son, you went through that family like a recessive gene

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
As an aside, if you're feeling down to the point where it's affecting your life, mention it to your doctor! There's a variety of potential physical causes which can be checked by blood work.

I'm fairly biased on this point because cheap vitamin D3 supplements basically changed my life and holy god damned poo poo I wish I had that poo poo sorted sooner.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Argyle match nothing, therefore, match everything.

Socks are a solved problem.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Sepist posted:

I really want to believe that it was a technical reason and not because I'm an Eagles fan

If it was, you don't want to work with those dipshits

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
It's javascript. Open your console and cheat. You'll be done in like 20 minutes.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Captain fun over here

Efficiency is its own fun. For example, I just used a for loop to raise the price to $100/clip in one go.

You guys would be, like, clicking a whole bunch or something.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

AlternateAccount posted:

Eat a dick. Actually eat all of the dicks.

Nationalism? How declasse!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Sepist posted:

It's a network engineering role at one of the biggest finance companies in the world

What kind of role? Security? Be the guy who keeps organized crime and rogue states out?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
'The buddy system' made for the most toxic work environment I've ever been in. I loving love rules.

Standards are an acknowledgement of something greater than the self, Sickening. Integrity move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm not a hoodie person but I got one of these at a conference and it's pretty great

Yes. Hated hoodies

Tried a zip-up

Now a hoodie person. Turns out, I hate pull-over hoodies.