Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

CLAM DOWN posted:

But basic labour laws that ensure you get compensated for all hours you work aren't really a luxury, they should be expected!!

"Labor" is a dirty word in American lexicon, especially if you pair it with "law". Americans will sacrifice themselves and their family if it means enriching their employer even marginally. It's especially bad in IT where it's mostly Randian untermensch and endless startups who will behead you on film if you even mention the word "union". And the only people who own guns are the ones who would defend to the death their "right to work" for nothing. Everything here is a race, and it's always to the bottom. We really are a bunch of retarded creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

psydude posted:

His point is that when you're salaried or doing contract work, you get paid the same even when you work fewer hours.

Right, but you're also paid the same when you work more hours. That's the point of contention among laborers and that's the shaded part of the graph where you'll find exploitation. Find me an employer that comps you those extra hours and I'll find you fifty that won't. These are the kinds of things that need to be defined through labor law, not at the discretion of an employer.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Inspector_666 posted:

I get paid for work outside of specific hours, but the idea that you could leave early if nothing was happening is like, the holy grail.

Essentially, finding the "right" place to work is hit-or-miss with the odds squarely stacked against you, and once you do get a hit, it becomes a FYGM situation. Even then, it doesn't preclude being fired for no reason or myriad other ways lack of labor law screws you.

Lil Miss Clackamas fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 10, 2014

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Does anyone have any tips + tricks and best practices for implementing automated patch management (WSUS)? Right now we do patches manually after hours, which means RDP'ing into each machine and running Windows update. This can take, with two people doing the work, 3-4 hours on patch nights. We had some layoffs in our department and this means I'll be the sole person doing the patching, and I'd rather be at home smoking weed than screwing around with patches.

I'm reading Microsoft's official documentation on it, so I'm looking for experiential protips/warnings if anyone has some to spare.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Thank God. My boss was saying we wouldn't have enough team members/time to implement it, but I figured there was no way it could be that involved. I'm gonna get this done ASAP and hopefully make everyone happy in the process.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Docjowles posted:

And god drat, set up WSUS and stop RDPing into everyone's desktop :420:

We don't RDP into user's machines, we only patch the servers on patch days. Desktop patching is up to the user, but my users are quite tech-savvy and we've had zero problems decentralizing that part of the process. No Ask toolbars or anything. I like my users.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
In WSUS is there a way to patch and reboot systems in waves, so not all of my systems are going down at the same time?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
There's a delayed restart setting in GPO, but seemingly nothing that I can apply to individual computer groups in WSUS.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I was hoping I didn't have to go the route of adding a bunch of GPOs, but oh well. Thank you for the help.

Security-related question: In all of my IT jobs I've held, I'm regularly put in a position where I'm told to ask a user for their credentials to get into their computer or do something with their machine/account, and it makes me very uncomfortable. What do organizations do to get to the point where "We will never ask you for your password" is true for all cases? Is there anything I can do to change things?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Speaking of powershell, are there any recommended resources for learning how to use it for sys admin tasks? I'm trying to really improve the workflow in my department and it would be so nice to learn how to do everything through PowerShell.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I started as a "senior sysadmin" at a new place last year. Here are some gems from my experience so far:
  • Despite being a "senior sysadmin", I have almost no sysadmin access to much of anything. I don't even have read-only access to critical things like MECM logs, so I have no way to troubleshoot deployment issues.
  • Admin passwords used by IT staff are stored in plaintext in an Excel spreadsheet on the on-prem file server.
  • Until I fixed this after I started, they had no way to deploy computers remotely to people (in a god drat loving work from home pandemic no less). Every new hire was required to come on site to the office and made to stand outside the front doors while a cart with a computer connected via ethernet was rolled out to them so they could login and generate their profile for the first time. They were completely and utterly unprepared for the pandemic, and then made no attempts to do so during.
  • AD is a complete and utter disaster. Everything is still on-prem. There isn't even a standardized naming convention - it's all across the board (managers can even dictate what the username will be). They think going to Okta will fix all of their problems (it won't).
  • They use a custom database that was built-in house 20 years ago that mimics what AD does (storing user info fields), but 100x worse. The database sits between AD and apps that should normally just connect directly to AD, and then overwrites AD and/or the app.
  • Making a change in this database, such as activating MFA, involves clicking a button to activate MFA. This then sends a ticket to a separate team that manages MFA, who then manually creates the user in the MFA app. When I ask why we don't just plug directly into AD instead, I'm ignored. This is how it works for basically every other app/system in use.
  • AAD has sat unused for years and years. There's apparently a team "working on it", but I'm not allowed to even look at it.
  • A separate team manages everything. There is a separate team for the domain, a team for Google Workspace, a team for MECM, a team for the firewalls, a team for the WiFi, a team for phones, and so forth. Making any changes to these systems requires asking these teams "pretty please" over email and hoping they follow through within the week - assuming the change isn't denied.
  • Speaking of, "decisions" are made via "committees". These committees include a small subset of actual IT staff who are apparently appointed for life, because when I asked to be on one of these committees, I was told that a slot would open up when someone retires.
  • A manager in charge of the infrastructure told me flat out in a meeting that "we don't follow best practices here because they don't serve the unique needs of our users".
  • Despite a staff of only a few hundred people, about 10% of them are sysadmins. This is not a tech company.
  • They still use .bat files for everything. I handed a more senior sysadmin above me a very simple PowerShell script I threw together. They had no idea how to use it.
  • EAP-TLS is used for wifi security, which means 90% of my job is manually generating supplicant certificates and then having to deploy them manually on each computer. When I asked 6 months ago that we switch over to something sensible so I didn't have to do this, like PEAP-MSCHAPv2, I was told 6 months later that "we're still discussing a plan".
  • The network security on the ethernet is just MAC whitelisting, which also requires me to manually add each and every single device (computers, docks, phones, etc) into the system.
  • No "real" ticketing system - Jira is used for everything, using system defaults, and it's a nightmare. Not as bad as using Saleseforce though. Half of the users still call into a phone line, leave a voicemail, and then we have to manually generate a ticket for the voicemail.
As a result of all this, my job is just basically tier 1 help desk. Everything is on fire all of the time because of these broken systems, and I'm not allowed to even solve the root issues. So kinda related, but what's the best way to get laid off/fired without cause very very quickly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

LochNessMonster posted:

I’m really curious how this not set off alrm bells when interviewing.

Why wouldn’t you just look for a different job and give your 2 weeks instead of wanting to get fired?

Getting fired without cause quickly, usually means you need to annoy someone in the chain of command. Your boss or one of his bosses. Just be annoying and demand 1 on 1s to address concerns you want to raise and insist you cannot do anything about any issue without talking to him. Basically start micromanaging your boss.

Because it didn't come up in the interviews nor job description. The interview described it as being in charge of the system and configuration management, in collaboration with other departments, and that I'd be their point for cloud migration - and instead it was pretty much help desk from day 1. I don't think I could have predicted that, but maybe there's questions I could have asked to illuminate a potential bait-and-switch. I did know that this was mostly a dead-end job though since they flat out said there was no room for advancement in the place. I am looking for another job, but in another country that I'm planning on moving to, and international interviews are a little hard to get right now. I'm also planning to leave and do some post-pandemic traveling/soul-searching, so that coupled with the dead-end nature of the work, I'm not really tied to it.

It was more of a joke to get laid off since I'm intending on quitting anyway, but it would be nice to get paid to travel. I also just wanted to share how appallingly bad the environment was because I never saw anything so bad, even when I was doing SaaS pre- and post-sales implementations.