Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

I have a dumb science degree, no certs, and learned my job on-the-fly. I’ve spent ten years in Enterprise Database Administration and Architecture. So yeah, that four year program was kinda irrelevant, the fact that I read the loving manual, developed an understanding of how the technologies work, and didn’t gently caress anything up too badly was way more important.

ElehemEare fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Krispy Wafer posted:

Same, but the network.

s/network/database/g

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Adjectives are funny if you apply them to the wrong language, e.g. Fortran#, COBOL on rails, Visual MUMPS.

This post reminded me that COBOL on Cogs is a real thing.

Start migrating your web applications to God’s chosen framework.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

:yotj: Ops DBA. Never again.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Methanar posted:

Half of my 1:1 today was spent talking about old memes

Was the other half talking about new memes?

*slaps 1-on-1*
This bad boy can fit so many fuckin memes in it.

I gave notice yesterday. My boss hasn’t told my team, so now I look like a dick for avoiding taking on new work that I won’t get done in the next two weeks. :ohdear:

At least he cancelled the 1-on-1 we haven’t had since January.

ElehemEare fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 13, 2018

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Methanar posted:

Not having clear work available or being able to do anything valuable is horrible.

I quit a do-nothing six-figure job because spending 40 hours a week being disempowered from doing anything but the bare minimum to keep the lights on caused me actual diagnosed depression.

Played a lot of Skyrim on the Switch though.

e: I should add it wasn’t just my boss who thought this way. It was endemic all the way up to the CTO, in the tech division of a larger org that actually did stuff.

ElehemEare fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 5, 2019

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's one in the pacific ocean!!!!!!!

Yeah but the one stationed at MARLANT just catches fire as soon as it hits open ocean.

There are a butt-ton of naval IT people out here in Halifax, and I think they mostly land at Lockheed or somewhere doing ancillary training/ simming software like BlueDrop instead of the startup or mainstream “tech companies” here.

That or they retire from service to a lobster boat.

ElehemEare fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 11, 2019

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Once I stopped trying to make sure everything was right and instead make sure everything was “right enough” it was a pretty clear progression to Director, so I guess if I learned one thing evolving my cynicism it’s choosing which of the hills I’m willing to die on.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

nearly always obtrusive

Except for when you’re on a call and someone puts something into the chat, and it’s just a subtle change to a UI element that only appears if you’re actively moving the mouse in the window. :doh:

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

I’m the “cloud-agnostic” chant with no investment to a PaaS or containerization strategy, forcing lowest-common-denominator implementations on full-fat VM hosts.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Docjowles posted:

Yeah... obviously it's going to depend on the specifics of your app(s), but having data stored in one cloud and the compute that accesses it in another actually sounds like a terrible pattern to me. Performance will be worse, costs to access it will be higher, permissions will be clunkier.

If it's just cold offsite backups of stuff, then sure, whatever. If it's live data being accessed by stuff in another cloud, that seems not ideal.

Tell this to the company I used to work that felt it was a good idea to push from on-prem databases to an S3 lake then pull it back down to on-prem HDFS for analytics.

I did, then quit.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

This ain’t healthy my dude.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Agrikk posted:

It’s seems they have convinced you of this fact to keep you around, but you need to fix that thinking and take your time off.

That or like... :yotj:

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

I remember something I was told way back when I worked at a startup ISP in the mid 90s. Never make yourself indispensable. Because then you've done one of two things. You've either made it so you will never, ever get a promotion again in the company, or when technology moves on, as it does, you'll be the first to be let go.

I have been in the same department through 4 different acquisitions. The key word is "adaptability". If you show that you can adapt to different business cultures and even shifting objectives, you are far more likely to be a fit with the new company. Over the course of this I have had pretty significant increases in wages and also a couple promotions to more interesting positions.

Restated: teach people about the dumb poo poo you built so you can build newer, dumber poo poo because money. This is my mantra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Vulture Culture posted:

I have been working in or adjacent to infosec since 2003. My 7-year-old successfully phished the Screen Time password on her iPad from me

Criminal to leave us hanging like this.

:justpost: