Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
As a US-ian, I'm curious about how common scenarios are paid (or not paid) for in other exotic lands. If you're outside the US, give the country and state if appropriate. Is the idea that employers should only be on the hook for 40 hours a week while employees are at their mercy uniquely American? No, this is not for a school project; I'm just curious how IT works when outside the wild west labor-lawless 'Murica zone.

For each scenario, I'm interested in the following:
- Are you hourly or salaried? Does "overtime exempt" exist? Are there restrictions on how many hours you can work in a day or week?
- Is this allowed? Perhaps you can't work more than 35 hours, or work can't call you off hours. Give detail.
- Is this time paid for?
- Is it overtime?
- Are the answers above because of "company policy", state, national law or other (eg EU rules)?

Scenarios:
1) Your manager is across an ocean, and likes to have 1:1s at 11pm your time.
2) Your org has teams in 3 continents. Daily status meeting is at 7am your time, which is roughly 4pm for the other primary team. Your job is theoretically 9-5.
3) You are 24/7 on call for 2 weeks. You get woken up about once a night, ranging from 15min to 3 hours. You must respond in as near to real time as possible, but can be anywhere that internet is available.
4) You work 9-5 M-F, but have 4 hour 11pm maintenance windows on 2 weekdays, and a 6 hour window on saturday starting at 7 pm.
5) You're working on a new Ansible deployment. Iterating the playbook configs and pushing new test jobs takes all day, and goes until about 9pm.

As for me:
- salaried, no hour limits, no overtime, no on call pay (though 2 of my 5 jobs in the past have paid a nominal extra flat rate bit for oncall shifts)
1) allowed, no pay
2) allowed, no pay
3) allowed, no pay
4) allowed, no pay
5) allowed, no pay (but this is the only one that's kind of fun and doesn't make me tear my hair out)

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Awesome info

poo poo, I totally forgot about unions. That's so far off the map here it's not even in my mind. Thanks.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

AnnoyBot, for the maintenance windows, are you scheduled to work that time, or is that the time you have allotted for bringing down production systems, which you only have to do occasionally?

They could be ad hoc, but if you were of a team that did releases, you would be scheduled for eg "10pm Foo app server 1.15 deployment". Or it could be "that db is running hot, schedule a restart for 10pm tomorrow night". I had many weeks where all 3 maintenance windows were used.

I didn't mention comp or bonus because in my experience, comp is extremely informal and at the merest whim of management, and bonus is explicitly not for hours.

Now: this stuff is not my current job. It's things I've been through in the past, and that I've seen from very close. Though I do have an on call shift now that's only 12 hours. for the 2 weeks (1 week secondary, then primary. But as far as I can tell, this stuff is all pretty common in Silicon Valley ops-land.

The bits about if X then you are non-exempt are intriguing, but basically non-actionable because you gotta lawyer up and take on both the cost and the inevitable firing.

I'm well paid, so it's not like I'm hurting. The "go find another job" scenario would be tricky to execute on unless Google or Facebook wanted me, or I changed industries. The mortgage makes the latter kind of tricky.

The reason I posted this was this article. It drove me crazy that the author never question the insane power that employers have in the US. I'm curious exactly what the limits are elsewhere. I've searched for these kinds of things when emailing my congressperson and the DOL, but failed to find much at all. So here we are.

Thanks again for all the responses, keep them coming.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Enterprise level customers at my old job used something called DirectConnect to connect to our services. However I'm not in networking so I don't really know any more about it, except that it was often a pain in the rear end. I realize this is not terribly helpful info :-/

Regarding counteroffers from a few pages ago. I started a new job in December and when I gave notice, my manager and director acted like I was a beloved boyfriend breaking up with them, and begged me to name my price. I said I had made my decision, so thanks no thanks. Though it was a hard call since things were in a pretty good place and I like my team. But they also made it clear by their actions that promotions from within were few and far between. Then the company got bought out 2 months after I left and is going private, so yay me for missing that bullet. Now my old manager is going to interview in my current company (he's a good guy, I've known him for over 10 years and 2 companies).

TerryLennox- the bit about only directors and up being exempt is exactly what I was looking for here. Very interesting. Glad to hear some others found this topic interesting, I know this is a hard crowd to please.

It sounds like union IT work is more common outside the US, since a lot of responses mentioned it. That's pretty much not a thing here in IT, except in government. I don't really count consulting corp-corp, because your relationship is governed by a contract that you, presumably, negotiated. Substantive negotiating below the VP level, aside from haggling over numbers, seems hard (maybe I'm just bad at it) and is basically stonewalled. I assume executives have lawyers involved for their negotiations, but I could be wrong.

Also my wife got laid off 2 days ago. gently caress.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Anyone else have a vesting schedule on their 401k match? My current job has that, which I'd never heard from before. If I leave before 4 years, I lose the unvested portion of matching funds.

Calling back to my oncall discussion- I finally had the presence of mind to ask my manager if our UK team gets paid for on call (7 days secondary/7 days primary/ 10AM-10PM). He says they don't.