Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Alfajor posted:

Google was able to "break" SHA1:
https://security.googleblog.com/2017/02/announcing-first-sha1-collision.html?m=1

I wish they shared how many actual hours it took, or how they managed to run such a huge job. Did they just run it distributed across all their servers everywhere, using <10% of available CPU or something?
I just assumed that's why AWS went down the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

BACKUP TAPES CAN'T MELT DATACENTERS

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Vargatron posted:

Look man I'm already the captain of one sinking ship.
:vince:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Vulture Culture posted:

techs don't do IRC either if they give a poo poo about mobile or cross-device continuity
true, they use ZNC for that

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

nullfunction posted:

Why not put one of the mechanisms from self-winding watches in it and harness that sweet, sweet kinetic energy?

Mouse stopped working? Shake it until it does!
Because my other hand is already doing that.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Methanar posted:

What's tier 2?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Curvature of Earth posted:

Wow, look at this huge square.
:v:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Vargatron posted:

Lost it at "an example of packet loss".
:emptyquote:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We now join a job interview with Stripe, already in progress.

Q: What is your opinion on AV?
A: I do not care. Just tell me which way you lean, and that's what I'll think when I work here.

quote:

My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about antivirus. All right, here is how I feel about AV:

If when you say antivirus you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil software that topples the man and woman of the helpdesk from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say antivirus you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the software that is discussed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating software that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the application which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that software, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.

(with apologies to "Soggy" Sweat.)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

I'm imagining a cube farm that looks like Kowloon City

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Either give us the support we paid for, or we give your team a lesson in the importance of proper support involving a precariously-unbalanced footstool, a sturdy ceiling beam, a short piece of rope, and a stern half-hour lecture about the importance of providing proper support they will never ever forget.
Make sure to point out where BROOKS WAS HERE is carved into the beam, in order to make the lecture more relatable.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Docjowles posted:

This is true, but beware the day it actually fits on the first try.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

CPColin posted:

Nothing much, what's @ with you?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Agrikk posted:

Troubleshot a customer outage while on a chairlift up and then skiing down a mountain.

Mute. Carve. Carve. Carve. Stop. Unmute. “Blah blah blah.” Mute. Carve. Carve. Carve.
The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Serious Hardware/Software Crap › Working in IT: Mute. Carve. Carve. Carve. Stop. Unmute. “Blah blah blah.” Mute. Carve. Carve. Carve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At least you're getting quality support from Cisco for once.