Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
What's so great about Confluence? Wikis seem like they are a dime a dozen; do they offer some level of support or features that make it worth paying for for a very small deployment? Sure, 10$ is _almost_ nothing, but it isn't nothing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
I have a bit of budget to spend on self education materials. I am not really sure what to spend it on though. I picked up a couple books already but figured I'd solicit ideas here too.

Doesn't need to be strictly tech, pretty much anything I could spin as professional development. Any resources you all like and recommend?

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

adorai posted:

I see a lot more value in an optional after hours activity.

1) the employees that come will want to be there and will participate
2) see 1

Doing things entirely after hours is in some ways tantamount saying "screw you people with families", imo. There is a pretty obvious divide in my team between the people who go home to see their kids or whatever and those who go out to things after work instead.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

SeaborneClink posted:

It's really this that makes me irrationally angry. When we're (you and I) already actively involved in a conversation in a team or business group channel. If you have gotten me engaged in a conversation in channel, believe me I am actively working working on whatever we're discussing. Your @SeaborneClink'ing me for every loving message you want directed to me is NOT helping whatever we're working on.

Ex.

Mark: @here having problems deploying <artifact>
Me: Ok, Mark I'm looking into the build deps right now
Mark: Thanks @SeaborneClink
Jessica: @here pipeline XYZ is blocked
Mark+5mins: @SeaborneClink any update??
Me: Mark your build failed because XYZ, try including vA.BC in your build deps
Mark+10: @SeaborneClink Thanks, works now!!!

Maybe IRC ruined me, but I'm nearly certain you'd get z-lined by any reasonable ircop for being such a complete shithead to tag someone in every message directed at them repeatedly for more than a day.

Is this just non-computer touchers learning how to talk to other people through a medium that isn't 'standing in their office/cubicle' ?
My impression on this was that it is sort of a natural response to carrying on a conversation with limited participants (relative to all-room) in parallel with another active conversation thread, but where going to a DM was not wanted for a reason such as maintaining the room's visibility of the matters discussed.

Threading, in apps that support it, is probably better?

@ tagging is of course subsequently abused in many cases but it seems not obviously malicious or without possible justification.

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

RFC2324 posted:

Is there an aws thread where i can ask dumb newbie questions while i figure this poo poo out?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3791735 maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waloo
Mar 15, 2002

feedmegin posted:

I, too, enjoyed the movie 'Office Space'

Maybe it was https://sites.google.com/site/forgottenemployee/ instead?