Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Transactions with credit card processor are failing at a 10% rate. Get on conference call and their tech mentions the certificate change they did on one server at 1pm on a loving Friday afternoon. Because he had a change ticket it's alright he proclaims. He says this only after he's backed out the change.

I want to buy that man a beer, but I'm not sure I'll ever see him again.

The beer is for you, buddy.

Credit card processors and their technical staff can all burn. I had to roll back a driver change three loving times, bringing us up to hours before the deadline because nobody at the processor knew what hosts had to be whitelisted for OCSP to work. And this was working with a migration team. It makes me wonder if their other clients even have firewalls or if their PCI attestations are 100% bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

Sure, there's just expiration dates, certificate chains, cross-certification, differing sets of trust anchors between multiple clients and versions, common names, DNS subject alternative names, IP subject alternative names, basic constraints, key usage extensions, extended key usage extensions, mutual authentication, certificate revocation lists, OCSP, OCSP stapling,

I only understand 10% of that but I’ve had to explain that 10% to every vendor we’ve ever hired.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Seriously.

So you're going to be hiring? I don't even read emails in my own inbox so I'm the perfect candidate.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

CloFan posted:

Lol what is even going on at that company? Reading other people's emails is pretty boring for the most part. I have to answer FOIA requests pretty frequently and always feel scummy afterwards

Yeah, I've been in the game long enough that I have negative curiosity about other people's data, too much NMS stuff from my public helping days. And I know enough to get a director's sign-off before I go looking for something (usually in a former employee's) inbox/private share.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
That's nuts. I worked a couple of jobs where I wondered if I was the only person not running a scam against the company when I was a teen, and it makes me appreciate working in a semi-public environment where everything is audited heavily and the only way to unjustly enrich myself is by poo poo(post)ing on company time.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

What a dumb loving thing to cheap out on. "don't run drops we'll just use cell phones and wireless" would have me quiting in the spot.

So. loving. Triggered.

"They'll all use laptops so don't worry about dropping power to the cubes either." :v:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
With that kind of thinking you're destined for the C-suite.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

Anytime someone spells that word "walla" I am bound by voodoo curse to imagine that poster as Waluigi forever

I’d send em half an onion but that works too.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Vargatron posted:

We are interviewing for a new director of our college division and apparently they have not been made aware of the fact that IT reports to them.

Also they're now talking about putting the IT group under a different person who actually has a vested interest in IT affairs here at the college.

Hope this round of candidates all fall through and they can re-org before they hire your new Athletics Director, because higher ed leadership are literal toddlers who will throw a tantrum if anyone tries to touch their toys even if they didn't know they had them, how to use them, or any interest in managing them.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Vargatron posted:

The org chart is a disaster and people are petty as gently caress, but I have zero overtime requirements and I get off every day at 4:30PM so I can't complain.

Oh I get it. In thirty more years my pension is going to rule.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

George H.W. oval office posted:

Veeam One is their monitoring and reports product that they like to try and push with Backup and Replication. One of their reports has some pretty aggressive sizing recommendations based on metrics taken from Hyper-V and Vsphere. It seems pretty slick so far.

I’m evaluating backup/light DR solutions right now and that’s the one of the two features that’s giving me pause (the other is the sandboxing) in going with Standard and not Enterprise. It would be nice to know how over provisioned my guests are.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
You could always form a vanguard party and seize the means of production through violent revolution

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
I thought I had a private bathroom at my last job. Turns out it was just a mop basin and now I don't work there anymore

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
We’re getting HiPAM any day now (per InfoSec since, 2017...)

I’d say I can’t wait, but I clearly can.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

unironically my dream day

*monkey paw closes*

"We've turned off the network so you need to patch every system from a flash drive..."

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Gotta get your steps in, right?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Is that basic? We're going to Japan in April and starting our trip at the Disney parks. It was my wife's idea and I don't think she realized how much of a weeb I am. I might come back divorced after spending all of our money on scale models and vending machine underpants.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

PCjr sidecar posted:

Lol if your hr title matches your internal title matches your external title

Yeah, but it's only because management gave up and made everyone an analyst

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

5er posted:

Fair.

I swear though, I think this agile/lean/sigma six mcchrystal bullshit is seeping into the bureaucracy of the university outside my department. The past couple years, I've seen a couple support-related departments stay understaffed for no good reason, and consistently telling other departments that they've got a backlog and will have to be patient with their requests because of this understaffing.
Every year our uni has new records for enrollment every semester, which means absolutely more tuition and tech fees being collected; yet more and more departments are having 'difficulty' staying fully staffed, and are always lacking budget for anything, even at fiscal year turnover. It's loving horseshit, and very few people are fooled, but many people just put their heads down and accept it as a thing they can't influence.
Hell, our AV engineering department, overall responsible for conference rooms, tvs, cameras, speakers, presentation related poo poo, spontaneously began insisting all requests for help through them have a 'fee' scalar, for any work they've done that is 'out of warranty', anything they've done over a year ago. As opposed to their support being in perpetuity, because t hey are a loving department that belongs to the college specifically tasked to support their own poo poo. My department's response is twofold: my colleague and I will be trained up on the Crestron controller bullshit strewn all about our department so we will support ourselves from now on, and that we will just get all our poo poo done by outside contracts.

I think we've got some bad, bad years ahead.

An understaffed university support department, you say? Better hire a few EVPs to figure that one out. And by figure out, I mean deliver a report in 18 months saying it's hard to recruit/maintain staffing for positions when they're temp-to-hire and pay 70% of private sector. Also, those departments are covered by a CBA so lets raid their budgets.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just got out of the annual open enrollment meeting. Nothing like being reminded that I spend 15% of my gross income just to not die of a chronic illness to pick up my day at the call center :smith:

C'mon, you know it's higher than 15% after copays and deductibles.

Our open enrollment:

HR person: You know how our premiums only went up 10% last year, Insurance company says they screwed up and undercharged us so premiums are going up 38% this year. The company is going to cover 80% of the increase - by reducing the salary pool that was supposed to bring you up to market rates.

And somehow in 2019 America I'm lucky?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's been there for years

DelphiAegis posted:

LOL 38%? Look at this lucky rear end in a top hat. Mine went up ~60% across the company. Right after OE ended, we all got a letter from the insurance company that they didn't spend enough on Healthcare based on $job'sstate laws of 85/15 (95% on Healthcare, 15% on admin) and were required to refund some stupid large amount of money to our employer. Which of course we saw 0 of in premium reductions, etc.

Holy poo poo. Hopefully your owners/c-suite get rear end cancer so that doesn't happen next year.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Super Soaker Party! posted:

This is kind of what you get if you decide to whitebox things. That's one reason Dell and HP charge a premium, though I dislike HP because it seems like you have to use a VAR to properly do the quotes anyway. Dell at least you can get a workable box pretty easily from the configurator.

Though that said, good luck adding anything more than RAM to a Dell server. Need another PCIe card? Well you'll need another riser card, but which riser config you need depends on what server model you have and its current riser config and oh yes is there 1 CPU or 2 and also thanks for emailing me, your new Dell rep, but I just stopped being your Dell rep 2 microseconds ago and here's your new rep - hello thank you for contacting Dell I'm out of the office please ask my backup who you can reach at this number.

Followed by the backup and your new Dell rep both getting you quotes a week later that don't match and are the wrong riser config anyway but you'll only discover that THREE weeks later when you have the server cover off and realize the card you were sent is 2 inches too long for the physical space it's supposed to go in.

Somehow I've kept the same Dell rep for the last three years, but yeah, had a dozen the two years before that.

I've never had a problem with upgrading the handful of PowerEdge R-whatevers that make up my babby VMware cluster. Crucial RAM and retail boxed Intel 10G card just worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbot posted:

Helpdesk roleplay...
I wouldn't worry about it too much.

A lot of interviewers (myself, included) are bad at conducting interviews, especially if it's a small/low turnover department or their responsibilities are 80/20 technical/managerial.

We use a scenario when interviewing interns for what amounts to help desk/jr computer janitor role, a customer calling in with no sound from their PC. We try to mix up the causes (speakers switched off, sound muted, headphones plugged in, etc) and have even forgotten to pick which one pre-interview before but I'd say maybe 1-in-5 actually get to the solution in a direct manner that I'd expect from a skilled computer toucher. Most get a little coaching to keep things rolling, because we don't really care that much because we're not looking for the right answer, we want to see how this person breaks a problem down and how they communicate with a pretend customer.
If your first track made sense logically, and then you adjusted when they clarified the parameters that probably won't be held against you unless you were way the hell off-base or the interviewer is a short-sighted pedant.

ETA:
Practice answering a phone. If you can confidently and clearly say, "<Company's Name> IT Support, this is <your name>. How can I help you today?" while holding the shaka to your ear I'll probably hire you.

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 30, 2019