Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Pudgygiant posted:

Had an interview at an MSP last week that went awesome, the recruiter said they had nothing but great things to say about me, and I really liked that not only did the interview go WAY longer than we planned, but they took time to explain some answers I bombed. I've been a NE most of my career, the job title is NE but the job sounds like it's going to be massive breadth and depth, especially on the Windows / VMWare side. This one was with a couple of their lead engineers, I have a follow-up Monday with 10 of their 15 senior / leads. Is there any hope to cramming before then? I've already read over the stuff I missed (some VMWare stuff that I've never seen like max LVM / block size) because it is a genuinely interesting job and field.

Regardless, I really hope I get this one, both of the guys interviewing me were sharp as hell and even caught me off on some Cisco stuff despite both being professed systems guys. Especially since the fallbacks are a NOC position and a network installer for a wide upgrade process.

If they took the time to discuss things you missed on the first interview, definitely bone up on those things. I know when I am interviewing a potential hire to our team (we do group interviews at my workplace, usually the lead and a couple of the regular employees sit in), the person who did the phone screen will mention topics the interviewee was weak on over the phone. I like to take that opportunity to see if the person we're looking at is smart enough to have learned anything, and to have taken the chance to do so. I know when I got interviewed here for my Networking job they went out of their way to point out I was weak on DNS (I knew basically how it worked, but nothing about actually administrating it), so I bought the latest copy of DNS and BIND and boned up a bit. Even if I hadn't gotten the job (I did), at least I learned something new. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU