Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'd rather be called a resource than an associate, which seems to be the lowest possible title a company can give someone while acknowledging they are possibly employed there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

evol262 posted:

earn to comp time when you have project work that means 55 hour weeks, etc.

Is that bank it in writing just like PTO and take an extra week off comp time, or your boss lets you come in at lunchtime on monday after working all weekend? The former is as good as cash in my mind, the latter makes you a sucker if it happens outside of rare, unavoidable circumstances.

We pay overtime despite everyone being salary/exempt on paper, my last two jobs have paid overtime, I think consulting firms are more likely to do it because you working directly translates into billable hours. I approve 90-100 hour biweekly timesheets fairly often, with occasional ones over 110. It's a nice bump in income for the guys who work migrations etc and it seems only fair to do it.

I'd look at this on more of a yearly or quarterly basis. Take your fixed salary and the number of hours you worked and calculate an hourly rate. Then look around for jobs that will actually result in working <45hrs, or jobs that'll pay for any extra time and do the same. If you can move positions and make the same amount for working less or make more for working the same amount, why not..

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Drunk Orc posted:

Well today is my first day on the job as essentially tier 1 support and while it'll mostly be getting my badge and accounts setup I'm still excited to start getting hands on experience. Any advice? I've never used a ticketing system before either for that makes me a bit nervous.

Don't be too clicky. Read dialog boxes thoroughly before doing anything and just take it slow until you know what you're doing. Better to take a few minutes longer to complete something than make a mistake because you're trying to show you can type or complete a task really fast. Make notes, asking for help is fine, but when somebody rattles off a password or obscure URL or series of steps to do something, document it yourself right away if it's not documented anywhere else.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 15, 2014

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Dark Helmut posted:

I pay 1099 contractors on average $5/hr more than W2. That's roughly $10K more per year. If your spouse has solid benefits, it can be a great option because it comes with a lot of tax benefits.

Are there really any tax benefits for your typical 1099 position that is 9-5 in the same office? Maybe you can deduct your parking or something, but the self employment taxes crush that. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone for $5/hr unless we're talking about $10 vs $15. I did it for a while, it sucked.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

J posted:

Thanks for the responses. My initial impression was that there was going to be a problem with security, cost, usability, or all three. I just wanted to look into it a bit though on the chance there was an agreeable decent way to do it, plus I'd like to be more informed on the off chance that management starts asking questions which I don't really expect them to.

I think you're correct for wanting to do this, do some research and write up a comparison matrix at minimum that you can provide to users/management to justify continued use of vpn/file shares (which is pretty archaic but sometimes necessary). You might even find a good solution.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Sefal posted:

Had a meeting with a company that's interested in me. It will be my 1st real IT job. Meeting went really well. at one point they asked me what i think i'd make. I said I presume a starters salary. they pushed for a number. I tried redirecting saying what they give starters. That didn't work. I gave out a number that was just a little bit too high (2000/a month after taxes). They immediately were like uhh i'm not sure thats a starters salary. then |I caved in, said what i truly expect to make. which is about 2000 before taxes.

Did I gently caress up?

The company looks awesome to work for. good work benefits. Car from the business.

Unless you're outside the US it's weird to give paycheck figure in response to this question as well, you're not a day laborer and they don't care about your tax situation

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

My testing of this one is a bit suspect so far, get hacked or break things is the best choice.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

What is an Executive IT Desktop Support position? Is that just a C-level bitch? That doesn't sound like an improvement over hell desk.

It sounds like a recipe for being on call 24/7, although I'm positive larger companies have a special number and team for IT support for employees above a certain pay grade, there's no way the CEO (or their assistant) calls an outsourced Tier 0.5 number. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad, you'd have an unlimited budget.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I quit my job at a small company (just a handful of employees) a few years ago, and the owner got mad at me for quoting because he "had stopped paying himself a salary so he could pay his employees" and I was betraying him.

He was probably still making a profit and pocketing that without having to pay FICA taxes.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The weather has been nice lately, nothing wrong with some extra vitamin D for a few hours. I'd do it with a smile and chalk it up to the company being a bit weird unless this is the start of a pattern. You're still getting paid right?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
What part of the country is this? You're worth a lot more than 33k around here

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Crikey. You should not go back to that place tomorrow or ever again. If you're there now, just leave. At will employment goes both ways.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The official books and CBT nuggets never let me down. You get to listen to James Conrad for hours too, which is a plus.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Methanar posted:

Verbally approved today :unsmith:. I'd like to believe my speaking legitimately helped with deciding what to buy and pitching the plan.

These numbers still scare me though

You are buying a chassis with one blade? How does the storage work, vSAN or Local or does Dell have some kind of iscsi/nfs target wrangled in there?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

They seem to have done just fine with EqualLogic and SonicWall. Although Wyse has been terrible.

I'm not sure I'd consider EMC capable of being any more terrible. My experiences with VMware support haven't been fantastic either.

EQL support seems to have been gutted, occasionally you'll get someone in their old location somewhere up in new england that is competent, but the regular dell guys that have taken over the Tier I for them are bad.

Sonicwall is buggy garbage but maybe that was true before the acquisition.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

sudo rm -rf posted:

Got a quick question. Do you guys know how cloud service models like IaaS/PaaS handle OS licensing for equipment that is brought up and down on-demand?

For Microsoft, it's the SPLA program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

jaegerx posted:

I have secret clearance. Trying to open my phone or laptop despite me no longer working for the government is a serious offense. I dare the tsa or ice try it.

E: this is obviously if I'm returning to the US and since I'm a resident alien I'm sure I'll be searched now. My laptop is basically ephemeral at this point so I got no problem bricking it just to screw with them.

Don't you need u.s citizenship to obtain a clearance in the first place?