Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

hihifellow posted:

My latest car is a 2013 Golf TDI and I love the hell out of the thing. My commute is all of 12 miles back and forth so I only have to hit the gas station about once a month. Plus burying my foot in the go faster pedal in 2nd or 3rd is a hoot.

I think the safety ratings are really good too, side curtain airbags and the A and B pillars are massive. It's actually kind of a problem, the B pillar is so big and in just the right spot to make looking over my shoulder at my left blind spot next to useless.

I have a 2013 Jetta TDI and love it as well. For about 4 years, I was commuting about 65mi each way to/from work. Most of those were in my old Acura 3.2TL Type-S. I was able to get about 30MPG on that under the right circumstances (No heavy traffic, no A/C etc.) With the new car, I was able to get as high as 52MPG under the same circumstances. Now, I live about 8mi away and, like you, only have to fill up about once a month. 2 weekends ago, I went to visit at my old place and even though I was speeding (about 80MPH) and had the A/C on the entire time, I was still able to hit about 45.3MPG for the trip.

The Fender audio system isn't half bad for a stock 'premium' system. Although the drat door panel pockets (where you would store maps) tend to rattle when I listen to loud music.

Someone mentioned something about a Wagon and sacrificing either mileage or aesthetics. Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Great mileage and (IMO) looks pretty drat slick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I go to the gym at least 5 days a week. We have a gym on campus which is primarily for Physical Therapy patients, but we also have a "Sports Performance Institute" to train athletes. I gave up drinking alcohol and soda a while back as well.

I've done a few Warrior Dashes and a Tough Mudder. Some of us here at work are currently trying to get a small team for this years Warrior Dash (NorCal). It was a lot of fun last year when I was able to talk a couple of people into participating. Hoping it'll be all the better this year.

Holy poo poo, DT. There's no way in hell I'd get up @ 4:30AM to go to the gym. As it is, I can barely manage to get my rear end up at 8AM. Even then, I'm pretty worthless until I've had some coffee (lots of it).

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Docjowles posted:

I've used this boot disk with great success in the past. I've never tried it personally on Windows 8+ but their website claims it still works. It doesn't "crack" the password but it lets you blank it out so you can log in and set a new one, which should be good enough.

Seconding this. Although, here again, I've never used it on Win8 or above. Win 7 and below, it's never let me down.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Did £80 per week suddenly become a lot? Because that seems like a shockingly low amount to spend on food.

$131. a week on food is shockingly low?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

CLAM DOWN posted:

In some places in the world, yes.

Right, but we're talking about the cost in the U.K.

I'm going by another poster that said:

BigPaddy posted:

I used to live in London and then Oxford after graduating University and then moved to Boston 2 years ago. When I did some comparison of my costs in the UK and then in the US it wasn't too far apart. In the UK you will pay more tax but that also includes what you would be paying the US for Health Insurance.

Things Cheaper in the UK:

Car/Home insurance
Food
Phone
Internet
Cable/Satellite TV

Things Cheaper in the US:

Petrol/Gas
Utilities
Housing (Boston is very expensive but in general the US is cheaper)

So, if food is cheaper in the U.K. than the U.S. then yes, I'm quite surprised that he's spending that much per week on food when quite a few of us in the U.S. are able to get by on less. I'm in the California Bay Area, which has a pretty high cost of living and pay less than that.

Anyway, to get this back on track:
I don't think this new director is going to last very long. He's only been here maybe 2 months and he's already on his second vacation. We've been hearing complaints that he's not very communicative and he's already told my co-worker that he's already getting burned out. I've only been here about 4, soon to be 5 years and we've been through 4 directors (5 if you count my co-worker being the interim). This is ridiculous.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Are smart watches actually a thing people want / care about? To me they seem like the dumbest things in the world. I can see it if I was in a position where I had to monitor the various health attributes they do, but that can't be a huge market.

This is exactly the reason I want one. That and (if it's possible) loading it up with music so that I can work out and listen to music without having my big-rear end phone with me.

air- posted:

Except that new watch requires having an iPhone :yayclod:
I'm on Android, so if I were to get one, it'd likely be a Samsung. I haven't really researched them all that much, so I don't know if they all require them to have a phone nearby or not. It's one of those "It'd be nice to have, but I'm not all that worried about it" type of things.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 9, 2014

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

awesomebrah posted:

Starting Monday I am going to be doing desktop support for a hospital for at least 2 months (Will most likely be extended.)
My condolences.

Agreed with the others advice of joining a gym. They may even have an option where you can use the PT gym during certain hours. Ours does. It's a drat good way to burn off stress (and calories).

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

stubblyhead posted:

Sorry to rehash the headset chat, but can anyone recommend a bluetooth headset with microphone? I've used a wired Logitech headset in the past that works well enough, but the wires consistently wear out at the plug end in pretty short order, and I've never been able to find an adapter that will let me use the microphone on my phone as well as the speakers. LG has something called the Tone Pro which uses that goofy horsecollar thing, but it seems to be well reviewed. Both ears is a must since I'd like to use it for regular old headphones as well.

I bought some Jaybird Bluebuds X as I wanted some that I could work out with and not worry about them dying. I've only used them to talk with a couple of times and they seem to work okay, but they're not too great if you're in a noisy environment like they gym or a server room. Also, they did end up dying but I had the replacement plan from BestBuy, so I was able to get them replaced easily. I'm hoping it was just a fluke.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Ever get busy, not check the threads for a while, then get overwhelmed by being several thousand pages behind? Yeah that's me. I'm catching myself back up, and while doing that realized it's November. Did we want to do another goon thumbdrive thing this year?

Wow, haven't seen you around for a while. I'd be interested in buying a couple if someone is going to do this. I think I killed mine on accident during a Warrior Dash. I had my car key (which has the flash drive attached) in a plastic bag, but the bag punctured and both the key and flash drive were quite muddy.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Join the LinkedIn goon group and you'll no longer have to wonder.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
To be fair, they are still morons for not nuking that poo poo and creating a more reasonable size. We have a few here that were like that and I've ended up having to resize them so that we could get them patched not poo poo the bed every time new patches are released.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
This seems like the most appropriate of the IT threads to ask this. It seems that the Radiology director is getting a bit overwhelmed with doing his normal day to day stuff as well as being the 'PACS Admin'. I feel like my current position is pretty much a dead end, so I'm quite interested in this possible upcoming position and he knows that I'm quite capable as a PC/Server and sometimes network tech. However, I don't know much about PACS. So, I know there's more than a few other fellow healthcare IT folks here. Whats the best way to start learning PACS? More specifically, McKesson PACS (Recently upgraded to v. 12).

I'm definitely going to be searching around on this when I get home, but I thought I'd ask here as well.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Richard Noggin posted:

McKesson will have training. PACS as a concept is fairly straightforward, but each vendor does things differently. You could always talk to the dude and see if he can offload some of the more basic admin functions to you, and learn as you go.

Yeah, I'll definitely talk to him and let him know I'm interested in the position. The other hurdle I just found out about is that he's also wanting the PACS admin to be a Rad tech as well. Here again, I certainly wouldn't mind learning that but, again that's going to take some time to learn.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

mattfl posted:

I was a PACS/RIS admin for a few years. Learn HL7/DICOM inside/outside and you'll be golden
Yeah, the Rad director mentioned these as well. Are there any particular books/sites/courses you recommend? I found a site called Auntminnie, though I don't know how good it is, but I figure it's a start.

quote:

The PACS software itself is pretty straight forward. Interfacing with the various scanners that send to the PACS is something you hopefully have external vendor support for because every single modality is different. Your PACS servers are basically just big file servers, I've used both RedHat and Windows servers and nothing to complicated about them. Mostly you'll be dealing with doctors telling you loading 1000's of images is to slow and to make it load faster and no matter what you do it will never load fast enough for them, ever.
Yeah, shortly after the second PACS admin quit, the Rad director dragged me in to troubleshooting why they were having some delays with their systems logging on. We figured out that sometimes it was quick, sometimes it was slow. Apparently, one of our DC's was having a problem (not sure what, as we don't have access to those). When it hit the primary DC, it was a very quick logon. When it hit the secondary, there was a massive 30+ sec. delay. We provided the hardware, then passed it off to the AD team to build up. It's been nice and quick ever since (The login anyway, not sure about how fast it's able to serve up images).

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

TerryLennox posted:

Ah, the old Dell "we have no money for pay raises or hiring...eh, this 3 billion dollars we used to buy 3 companies? This company is here to make money not raise your salary!" spiel.

This, along with the poo poo I just bitched about in the 'poo poo that pisses you off' thread are the reasons I'm going to dust off the resume and start looking to :yotj:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Thanks Ants posted:

:gonk:

These people exist?

I'm pretty sure I recall someone mentioning in one of these threads that their server room was like that. I want to say it was the guy whose boss was obsessed with buying refurbed poo poo from Tigerdirect. Could be wrong though.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Tab8715 posted:

Are you guys running cabling? It's really something that should be left to electricians professional cablers.

Fixed. If posts in previous threads are anything to go by, many electricians do a lovely job of data cabling (lovely cable splices, poor punchdowns etc.)

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Zero VGS posted:

I bust my rear end to save a few grand buying phones and PCs and these guys can basically negate all I do, because I create a huge budget surplus so the CFO wants to go on a spree now.

Don't do this. It goes unappreciated and certainly won't be spent wisely. We saved a huge chunk of money on a number of things a few years ago and got jack poo poo for it.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Zero VGS posted:

Eh, I itemized the million dollars of savings I pulled off in 5 years at my last company and it got me this job for double the salary.

That's kind of my point. The company that you saved that million dollars for, what did they give you? Probably a pat on the back and an 'atta boy'.

My co-worker saved this place a ton of money by fixing a lot of wasteful spending on cell phones and switching from a terrible printer repair company that over charged and under delivered. I'm sure once he finally jumps ship he too will be able to double what he makes, but for now all he's gotten is an 'atta boy'.

Like I said, you do something good like that and it goes unappreciated (we haven't gotten a raise in 2 years) but they sure are quick to poo poo all over you when they think you've dropped the ball (more often than not we don't, poo poo happens because they don't want to pay to fix stuff properly and we're thrown under the bus).

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
That would have been better if it had printers instead of laptops.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Docjowles posted:

There's an SA IT Mentoring Group although it gets like one post per week. It's hidden/private so you have to request membership, not sure who that goes to.
If memory serves, WintermuteCF is the owner of the group. (I think I spelled the name right)

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Yeah, I go into the server room with coffee all the time. Of course, unlike some goons (Keyboard megathread) I'm capable of computing without spilling poo poo all over the place.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

adorai posted:

Do you set it on top of a server in a rack?

When I was typing, yes. I haven't done it since a previous director (that was, what, 2 directors ago? we've had quite a few, so I've lost count) freaked out about it.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Che Delilas posted:

A simple google search on the name brings up nothing but scam reports. They charged her money to clean up "viruses" that weren't there.

Tell your mom that when someone calls her up or sends her some kind of message out of the blue saying that she's in trouble somehow, and they want money to fix it, it's a scam. If they want a bank account or a social security number, it's a scam. Tell her to never give money or personal information to anyone that contacts her first. Tell her she is INCREDIBLY LUCKY that she's only out the few hundred dollars that this scammer took, instead of having her identity stolen and her bank accounts completely drained, because that's what some scammers do.

If she's worried about her bank account or credit card or something, tell her to hang up on the person who supposedly warned her of the problem, and call her bank. Use the number of the back of her credit card, not the number the person who calls gives her.

For gently caress's sake.

Sadly, I recently posted something similar to this on FB because multiple people on the C-level exec team ended up with infections from email poo poo. The CFO has a bunch of files that look like they may be cryptolocker related. Even lovely McAfee found over 1600 infected files. I scanned it with Nod32 afterward and still found infected files. She won't give up her drat laptop. My boss is already aware and has spoken to her, so if anything happens, it's on her.

Still though, the amount of people that fall for this poo poo is just staggering.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

psydude posted:

Lost it at 'A "butt Aware" application means making your application fault tolerant, multi-tenant, and able to elastically expand and contract with demand.'
One of my favorites was a few pages back:
Once (implausible) uptime requirements and (more importantly) immediate critical response become high-priority items, ~my butt~ shits the bed.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I can't do hard alcohol. I'm more of a beer guy (Yes, I've started drinking again. For now anyway). My brother got me hooked on Altamont Beer Works. Great beer and local. Plus they occasionally have a local BBQ place come by.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dick Trauma posted:

I know there are a few other oldsters on here so I wanted to talk a little about age in I.T.

As an I.T. management type I frequently interact with the executives and users. As the years have passed I've become more sensitive to how people perceive me, particularly my age. I feel there's a perception that technology is something only younger people can be tuned in to. I think the association between new tech and hipness isn't at all a new thing but now that I'm middle-aged I'm aware it can cause career problems. Execs can have doubts about an older worker's ability to understand, embrace and implement new technology.

At my current place it's clear that the people I work with think I'm at least ten years younger than I really am. The office manager (who is maybe a year or two older than me) explained to me who Carol Burnett is. Today someone who is a fair bit younger than me mentioned Blink-182 and then said "You might not know them, they were popular way back when I was in High School."

Is it disingenuous to not correct work people when they get my age wrong? I feel like I'm getting away with something when I don't confess that I'm much older than they suspect. Is age less important than I think it is to appearing competitive in technology?

Uh, aren't you only in your 40's? That's not old. I've met plenty of IT folks in their 50's & 60's (not that, that's all that old either), though they're usually directors or higher by then.

Also, I'm only 35 and am well aware of who Carol Burnett is. That's classic stuff that everyone should know. :)

Disingenuous? I don't think so. That first person thinking you're younger than you are, I'd take that as a compliment. The second person, well, people speak without thinking. That awful band was all over the radio, so you'd have to be the drat uni-bomber to have not heard them. Yes, I think age is less important than you think, even in tech.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Alder posted:

Also, didn't someone say how improved smartphone are compared to now vs back then because of their durability/design? However, I'd lost count of how many cracked smartphone screens I've seen on the subway. I have no idea myself as I tend to take care of my fancy tech crap (yeah, cases too).

Mostly because I'd be out of luck if I happen to break/lose it :sigh:
That's just people being clumsy/not giving a poo poo. My younger siblings tend to go through a poo poo-load of USB charging cables because they don't take care of them. I'm still using ones that are years old. My screen isn't cracked or scratched to poo poo even though I don't put a screen protector or a gently caress-off huge otterbox on it. All I have is a simple holster that attaches to my belt.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I thought he meant $70 per hour to do what he does - my mood has never changed so quickly in my life.

Thanks to HR leaving paperwork right out in the open, I know of at least one nurse that makes a bit more than this. Makes me want to start taking nursing classes.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

NippleFloss posted:

$70 an hour is very doable in IT and doesn't require cleaning up poo poo (actual, non-metaphorical poo poo) or decades or seniority.

I wouldn't be doing it to do nursing duties. I'd be getting into Clinical Inforaticist position. Basically a liason between Doctors/Nurses and EMR. I'd likely have to be teaching them how to use the software, open tickets to the vendor, stuff like that. From what I can tell of our current CI, the majority of their job is telling the users "That's not my job, call I.T.!".

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm old enough to have used dial-up modems plenty, but that is the biggest one I've ever seen.

That was a pretty common size for U.S. Robotics. I think I had an older Hayes that was bigger than that.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Docjowles posted:

Guys, guys. Let's chill out, rerail and discuss something more on-topic. PYF thing you drink to forget:

I'm a beer guy, so:

My go to is Hella Hoppy. When it's available, Scarcity is awesome.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I used to work at the hospital just down the street from Netflix. I lived in Santa Clara and preferred it over San Jose. I was renting, but it seemed like Santa Clara was less expensive and they were on Silicon Valley Power rather than PG&E (SVP had lower power rates). And, if you like coffee, head over to Chromatic Coffee off of Stevens Creek Blvd.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

mayodreams posted:

I appreciate the pro tip! I've been trying to do a lot of research to better understand the area. From what I've heard, traffic/commute is the biggest issue with distance to and from work.

I didn't find it to be too bad for the bay area. I lived close to Lawrence Expressway, so it was just a matter of hopping on Lawrence and heading down to Pollard/Knowles.

https://goo.gl/maps/tN3do

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Zero VGS posted:

The top admins even went in and tried to fix permissions and AD hierarchy and other stuff, to the point of mailing out an AD server to me that I was supposed to install in our server room and have no way to log in into.
Our company does this for the Hospitals that they admin. Each site has 2 DCs local folks don't have permissions to log on to. However, they have us connect the DRAC, so the AD team can remotely reboot or power on/off the server themselves.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I just used the Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit, so that it would copy over all the permissions/shares.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10268

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Docjowles posted:

At our data center at my last job, every year these giant wild turkeys* would come to roost and lay eggs in the planters out front. Some poor bastard had to go out and place a big sign that said "DO NOT APPROACH. THEY WILL gently caress YOU UP" nearby. It was kinda cool. Thankfully this was in Denver, and not more rural CO, cause yeah. Those things would have been shot in a hot minute elsewhere.

* No, not the bourbon. That was a permanent fixture on our senior DBA's desk. Because databases.

We have big-rear end turkeys that roam the hospital grounds every so often. Kinda cool, but a bit of a hazard when they decide to dart in front of you when you're driving.

I occasionally see rabbits and deer as well. Almost hit a doe when I was descending the hill. Glad I stopped in time, 'cause after she scampered off to the side, I saw a fawn standing there waiting for her.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dick Trauma posted:

And now I have to ask what a micro-aggression is. Do we have a new standard of measurement for anger? How many pico-aggs to the ma?

Here you go:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microaggression_theory

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

AlternateAccount posted:

Then they got bought by CompUSSR and we were put under the management of a guy whose only experience was managing Taco Bells. I didn't last a month, that place definitely felt like the money laundering front it was purported to be.

Haha! I worked at a CompUSA in Modesto. A few months after I quit and relocated to the Bay Area, I stopped by to pick up some parts for my parents system. I spoke to some of my former co-workers who said most of the managers were fired for stealing. This was back in early 2000's, so it was mostly PDA's, since those were the hot item at the time. I think the store maybe lasted another year before it was closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I think my worst commute was back in '08/'09. I'd been out of work for quite a while and at that point was pretty desperate for work, so I took a job where I was having to do I.S. work for a container company (at the time, it was known as Smurfit-Stone). Modesto, California to Salinas, California. Google estimates about 2hrs each way, but with traffic, it was more like 2.5 - 3 hrs.

Their other plants I had to occasionally visit were in Milpitas and Fresno. Not a good time.