Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I drive a 2011 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic. I had an Infiniti G37 Coupe, but RWD in the Chicago winters took years off my life.

I like the Merc, awd is great, but it's just not as fun to drive. I'd really love the E550 with the V8, but it was too far out of my price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I had a truly awful experience last year that lead to me being dismissed on the last day of the 'trial' period for the company. Since it was only 3 months, it was really hard explaining the situation to people because obviously it was not a good fit, and I couldn't leave before I was terminated with severance.

I found that saying as little as possible and focusing on what you did is really the way to go. Sometimes they keep digging, but I would bring it back around to my strengths. It took quite a while, but I finally came to "The group didn't like 'wasting time' with documentation, and at a managed service provider, that made it very difficult to serve our clients well." This shows that I clearly do not subscribe to working without documentation, and that I cared more about providing good service than my colleagues, and that is why I was not a good 'fit' in their eyes.

I could go on and on about how my boss was in over his head and we were staffed with a bunch of Geek Squad rejects that literally called QA checklists for infrastructure builds 'pointless because I am a professional', but all that that does is show anger and resentment.

Focus on why you are awesome and why you think you would be great at the job. From the interviewer's perspective (been doing a LOT of help desk interviews lately) the negative comments/bitching stand out like a sore thumb, and I have really worked to avoid them in my interviews after seeing it from the other side of the table.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Since this comes up a lot, the Mac Pro is not a desktop, and really shouldn't be considered as one. I am not going to stand here and fight for the Trash Bin Pro, but its using server hardware, and a comparable Dell Precision or HP Workstation will cost roughly the same.

HP Z620
Xeon E5-1650v2 (matches MacPro)
2x FirePro V3900 (Likely underpowered compared to the MacPro)
16GB DDR3-1866 ECC
256GB PCI-E SSD

$4047

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I am not vouching for the usability or practicality of it. I think the design is loving terrible and a giant gently caress you to what few pro users are left after the Final Cut Pro X debacle and the Mac Pro sitting idle for 3 years, and who use really expensive PCI-E devices and now have to spend $1k+ on an enclosure.

My point is that yes, it is $4k, but it's not like there is a $1000 Apple tax on it. Everyone bitches about the Apple Tax, but it really doesn't exist anymore.

I'd love nothing more than for Apple to relax their stance on running OS X on a hypervisors, and allow it to run on ESXi on non-Apple hardware. It is not like they are selling poo poo loads of Mac Mini Servers, and the benefits would be much greater to running OS X and iOS in the enterprise.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Tab8715 posted:

I think it's weird how OS X is presented as an OS option in vSphere/Esxi... Does it even work?

Absolutely. If you use the ESXi unlocker tool, it works great if you aren't using vCenter. The more recent versions of the unlocker tool work better with vCenter, but it's not great.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
We were having the degree conversation over lunch last week, and the consensus (IT Director, two managers, architect, and I) agreed that while a degree is not required, it definitely is preferred. The primary reason is that a 4 year degree is a huge commitment monetarily and to finishing what you start. There is a reason that only 20% of people who start at a community college ever attain a degree: it is not a cake walk, and college isn't for everyone. What you studied isn't as important as the 'soft skills' others are mentioning, such as writing, planning, time management, drawings (Visio/CAD), and working with others on a project.

You can certainly gain those skills from outside of higher ed, but they are built into a graduate at some level, which is why you see that strong preference for the degree from HR and hiring managers. If you have a technical degree, then you have another level of applicable knowledge and skills like troubleshooting, design, and underlying knowledge of how technology works depending on the your specialty.

My BS was in Electrical and Computer Engineering Technology, but was really more just EE than anything computer related, which was mostly circuit design, build-out, and troubleshooting more than it was any kind of computer architecture or performance. However, the biggest takeaways I have from undergrad in my daily job of Senior Systems Engineer in IT is ability to look at a complex system and break it down in to components to test and find the problem. That coupled with knowing how the components of a system actually work together (or don't in some cases) gives me huge advantage over those without that skill. I am certainly not doing any circuit analysis, but my technical writing skills are beyond anyone else here because of the sheer amount of it I did for my BS.

As for my graduate degree, I chose to do it in Communication in a program designed to be alternative MBA with more of a focus on leadership and supervision. Of course I was working for the university at the time and they footed half the bill, but getting an advanced degree in engineering wouldn't provide me anything extra in my career anyway, and I wanted to build my soft skills and be more than the angry anti-social engineer, which my graduate program helped me with in spades.

tl;dr Getting a degree is more than a piece of paper, and in today's market, you will pretty much have to have one to get anywhere other than entry level.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 15, 2014

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Comradephate posted:

Anecdotally, I've heard that Google actually looks at incomplete degrees in a more negative light than no degree for this reason - they want you to demonstrate that you can finish what you start.

I personally know two people who I would consider solid candidates who were told to finish their degree and then apply again, but I also know people with no degree who hold similar roles to the jobs being interviewed for.

Thanks for pointing out that I worded that wrong. :v: That's what I get for effort posting with a lot of crap going on today.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

<RANDOM LARGE COMPANY> sure does

Intel wouldn't even talk to me at an on campus job fair because I didn't have a 3.5 GPA.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
A quick diversion from degree chat.

I pulled this from an IBM x346 that has been in service for about 10 years and has be crashing a lot lately:

Nope. Nothing wrong there. Definitely not lovely 3rd party ram with corrosion on the contacts. :psyduck:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

GreenNight posted:

Not necessarily. About 4 or 5 years ago we moved from GroupWise to Exchange and I can count on one hand how many times I had to use Powershell, and that was only to get a report of mailbox sizes.

I literally just did this for ~800 users. I am finally on the tail end of the implementation, but Jesus Christ I am glad it is almost over. I haven't had a work free weekend in 2 months.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

CloFan posted:

Living the dream... meanwhile, I'm over here helping a professor remount a 9gb .pst in order to find an email from 2002

We have multiple users with 50GB+ Groupwise archives and one was a whopping 80GB. Mind you, 2-3GB is the max Novell recommends. We had to port everything over, and it this is hands down the worst project I've ever worked on. I could do a long bitch post, but the tldr is that users run the roost, there were no standards for accounts or archiving, and no documentation.

Bonus Fun Fact: there were no size limitations for attachments internally so there are literally messages with 1GB attachments, and people used it for a content management system for creative projects, which is how you get 80GB archives. :smithicide:

We had a migration partner that had tools for converting them and injecting them to O365, but the amount of work I did was/is never ending, particularly post cut with the archives that are still being found.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

jaegerx posted:

God help you if you add friends into it. I am not your personal tech support. I'm just gonna google it.

I turned friend tech support off a long time ago. This actually cropped up this week because my GF's friends are having issues and were all like 'hey come over and we'll have some beers. Give me your friend rate!"

I tried being polite but firm in saying that I flat out do not do tech support for friends, but I don't mind guiding someone to the right direction and resources. My friend rate is $100/hr more than my normal rate, which is already WAY higher than non IT think I cost, but in line with what I can charge for my expertise and time. Basically the number is so high, that without really giving them the rate, I tell them it would be cheaper to buy a new phone/tablet/laptop than to have me fix it.

The reason you run away from doing extended family, friends, and neighbor tech support is the dreaded 'WHATEVER YOU DID BROKE IT!" call or text a day or two later that they expect you to fix, and for free if there was money changing hands. No, whatever YOU did broke it, because when I last touched it, it was expertly configured and working properly.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone have much experience with corporate policy for company issued phones?

I'm hearing some whispers about possibly monitoring text messages and call histories and it sounds like :can:

I'm just thinking about all the information you could find that would immediately make you regret searching. What if an employee calls or texts:
Suicide Hotline
Union
Alcoholics Anonymous
A doctor specializing in something that would be scandalous like HIV or abortions
LBGT groups
A lawyer

I'm super glad I use my company phone for work only.

We had a really bad instance of people using work phones and laptops for personal use, and it ended very badly for them since they got terminated. We have since made it very clear to those with phones that they are OWNED by the company, and any pictures, texts, email (personal if you add it), and calls are subject to company policy. No one is actively monitoring anything, but if you break or lose your device, it gets wiped. If you complain about being out of space on your iPad and you have 40gb of 'personal pictures you need to back up to a laptop at home', guess what, you are getting an HR write up.

Dumb asses.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

All my friends play xbone :smith:

plebians

Friends don't let friends enter the 'bone zone.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Zero VGS posted:

The Federation Services thing is new to me (Windows 2003 for the past 10 years) and sounds pretty awesome. I've set up SSO for Spiceworks before but having it for the few external sites we use would be pretty bitchin' and probably cut down on password reset tickets.

I've done two O365 tenancies with ADFS here and it is really not hard to do.

Side point/rant:

I've decided I'm tired of this company's approach to running infrastructure into the ground, and I'm looking elsewhere.

I get a message from an internal recruiter for a place and job that looks really good. I respond back and we arrange an interview for this morning, and he/she asked that I complete the 'candidate cover sheet' with some bullshit questions like '3 things that make you tick' and my overall GPA. I gave an N/A for current compensation and 'negotiable' for desired range. She/he responds back that I need to provide the the compensation answers, so I gave a range that I am looking for, and declined to give my current pay.

I get a response that the interview is cancelled and 'good luck with my search'.

I was furious because I took time off to have an interview in quiet (I work in a cube farm so it is impossible for me to do this at the office) and I get blown off? I wrote the following reponse:

mayodreams posted:

Are you serious? My current compensation is personal information that is irrelevant to any conversation we were to have regarding a new opportunity at COMPANY.

I am extremely disappointed because out of the about 100 emails I've gotten this week this is the only one I've responded to because I was genuinely interested in the company. Thank you for wasting my time by requiring information upfront that immediately puts me at a disadvantage for the entire process. I guess I should take this as an indication of how COMPANY treats its employees.

Good luck in your search as well. I'm sure you will find an abundance of very qualified and intelligent senior level people who are willing to lay down at the outset.

I know it is snarky and angry, but what utter and complete bullshit.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

hackedaccount posted:

I'm a Linux guy with a LOT of experience so YMMV on this one: During my current job search (W2 contract and full time) I have always declined and nobody has given me any poo poo. Here's how I do it and if they persist move to the next one:

1) I don't disclose that, sorry.

2) Technologies, responsibilities, perks, commute, bonuses, culture, and other things vary from job to job. This is a new job and everything will be different.

3) What I got paid in the past has no bearing on what is a fair wage at my next position.

4) To be candid I don't give that out because it's only used as a bargaining chip against me. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

Also, if you're doing W2 contract, never forget that most companies spam out positions to tons of different contract houses so if one is being an rear end in a top hat just find another one.

That is really solid strategy.

As I was discussing this with friends this weekend, I realized that you can just lie about what you make now. They can't verify that if they call your current/past employers anyway.

Although, there was a major brick and mortar retailer I interviewed with last year that asked for my W2's from the last year to prove what I made in the past. You can imagine how well that went.

How is that type of practice not illegal? You can't ask questions about being married, number of kids, religion, but GIVE ME ALL OF YOUR COMPENSATION HISTORY WITH FEDERAL DOCUMENTATION seems ridiculous.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

psydude posted:

What? You can totally ask questions about bring married and number of kids.

Nope.

http://www.careerbuilder.com/article/cb-3380-interview-tips-11-common-interview-questions-that-are-actually-illegal/

careerbuilder posted:

1. Have you ever been arrested?
An employer can't legally ask you about your arrest record, but they can ask if you've ever been convicted of a crime. Depending on the state, a conviction record shouldn't automatically disqualify you for employment unless it substantially relates to your job. For example, if you've been convicted of statutory rape and you're applying for a teaching position, you will probably not get the job.

2. Are you married?
Although the interviewer may ask you this question to see how much time you'd be able to commit to your job, it's illegal because it reveals your marital status and can also reveal your sexual orientation.

3. What religious holidays do you practice?
Employers may want to ask you this to see if your lifestyle interferes with work schedules, but this question reveals your religion and that's illegal. They can ask you if you're available to work on Sundays.

4. Do you have children?
It is unlawful to deny someone employment if they have children or if they are planning on having children in the future. If the employer wants to find out how committed you will be to your job, they should ask questions about your work. For example, "What hours can you work?" or "Do you have responsibilities other than work that will interfere with specific job requirements such as traveling?"

5. What country are you from?
If you have an accent, this may seem like an innocent question, but it's illegal because it involves your national origin. Employers can't legally inquire about your nationality, but they can ask if you're authorized to work in a certain country.

6. Is English your first language?
It's not the employers' lawful right to know whether a language is your first language. In order to find out language proficiency, employers can ask you what other languages you read, speak or write fluently.

7. Do you have any outstanding debt?
Employers must have permission before asking about your credit history. Similar to a criminal background history, they can't disqualify you from employment unless it directly affects your ability to perform the position you're interviewing for. Furthermore, they can't ask you how well you balance your personal finances or inquire about you owning property.

8. Do you socially drink?
Employers cannot ask about your drinking habits, because it violates the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. For example, if you're a recovering alcoholic, treatment of alcoholism is protected under this act, and you don't have to disclose any disability information before landing an official job offer.

9. When was the last time you used illegal drugs?
It's illegal for employers to ask you about past drug addiction, but they can ask you if you're currently using illegal drugs. A person who is currently using drugs is not protected under ADA. For example, an employer may ask you: "Do you currently use illegal drugs? What illegal drugs have you used in the past six months?"

10. How long have you been working?
This question allows employers to guess your age, which is unlawful. Similarly, they can't ask you what year you graduated from high school or college or even your birthday. However, they can ask you how long you've been working in a certain industry.

11. What type of discharge did you receive in the military?
This is not appropriate for the interviewer to ask you, but they can ask what type of education, training or work experience you've received while in the military.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Wizard of the Deep posted:

You realize you're going to have to support this Mission Critical Application until the day you quit now, right? In five years, after you've moved on, and Dunkin Donuts changes their website, someone's going to come into the 2019 version of this thread and bitch about you.

And how nobody told them they could get coffee :(

e: should have done it in Access.

The correct answer to make future people hate you the most.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I've had an unusually bad day, even for this place, and the icing on the poo poo cake was just dropped on me.

We have a check business and we want a mobile app that customers can design their own checks, and then take a picture of a current one, and upload it to our systems to import the data.

And there was just a meeting where the web team argued that we don't need to encrypt the data coming in from the customer 'because it's just a picture'.

:smithicide:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Does Windows-To-Go work on m2? I grabbed a 128GB m2 for my T440p and it's great. Gets around the protruding usb drive issue.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Zero VGS posted:

I was indeed thinking about that, I've seen quite a few drives broken off in my years by users stuffing laptops into their travel bags. I figure I could buy a USB duplicator like this http://www.aleratec.com/1-to-10-usb-3-0-thumb-flash-drive-duplicator-copy-cruiser-mini-330113.html and just give out drives like candy. If I use GPO to force all files to sync on both the flash drive and OneDrive then hopefully anyone can use any drive anywhere.

Why would you put Win-To-Go on a hard drive that isn't removable? Sort of defeats the point.

I guess that's true. How about SD cards? In a lot of newer machines they sit flush.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I agree that with being mindful of attitude early in your career. Looking back, I made some pretty egregious political mistakes that put me in a very big hole in my first job out of college. Eventually I climbed out of it, but it took a lot to restore my reputation. Did my technical skills improve? Not really. Did my ability to keep my mouth shut and do my job improve? You bet your rear end.

You may be brilliant in what you do and be stuck in an entry level position. I am not saying you doing this, but from my own experience, and observing of others, being surly and a know it all rarely gets you anywhere. Part of having career experience is knowing when to keep your mouth shut and keeping your attitude in check when it isn't. Progression in this field is earned through experience and time, and rarely can you by pass that fact.

I designed and implemented our messaging migration to O365 and I keep getting questions about Outlook. I don't know it very well because I am not a poweruser for email, and I've made that clear during the process. I don't deal with user issues at the desktop level, so I really can't help. What I can do is batch user management via powershell and the other server related issues. There is always a time and place for experienced and talented help desk people.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

jaegerx posted:

Anyone have any experience working with ipsoft or know anyone there?

FWIW, that is the company I bitched about a few weeks ago that blew off a first interview because I refused to give my current compensation. Oh, and the same recruiter messaged me on Linked in last week like nothing had happened.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
For you guys that have done the SCC Vmware class, do you get the free copy of workstation still? I kinda forgot about that part.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It took them months to send me a key so the answer is probably yes... but you have to wait.

That's cool. I did the class that ended in July, so I'd imagine it would be soon. Kinda hoping for Workstation 11 at this point.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
There is a lot of discussion to the level of experience you put on applications and on your resume / cover letter. I tend to undersell my skills a bit because I don't want to be in a situation where I am in way over my head, and because I don't want to look like an idiot in a technical interview because I embellished my experience.

For example, I have a good amount of ADFS and DirSync experience from doing two different Active Directories to O365 at my current company. I had an interview where they were looking for an Active Directory Expert and ADFS Guru, but only found that out during the interview. Am I an expert in AD? No. However, I can build them from scratch, repair/clean up old ones, and do things like ADFS. This guy was asking me questions straight out off an MCSA test that I couldn't give a solid answer to because no one can remember what every acronym stands for. Afterwords, the recruiter said they are having a really hard time filling the position because what they are looking for doesn't really exist to the extent of the guy they had leave.

I also had an interview for a Linux position last year that reminded me of undergrad when you walked into the test, didn't know what was going on, and failed spectacularly. Again, I do not claim to be a Linux god, but I can certainly spin up machines, troubleshoot issues, install applications, etc without an issue. I am not a neckbeard who knows how all the fundamental levels of the OS works. The interviewer actually was positive and actually explained the ones I got wrong and was cool about it, but I had forgotten how bad it feels to get hosed on a test.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

jaegerx posted:

Email is of course terrible and should be outsourced. Seriously gently caress email. gently caress everything about email. If any of you are primary email admins I pity you and hope you save the last bullet for yourselves.

I had never touched email until 11 months ago, and at this point, I want to say gently caress it and go back to smoke signals and carrier pigeons.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

I worked at a place where they literally didn't know how to 'upload files' to a server and only emailed poo poo back and forth

Before our switch to O365, our groupwise environment has NO limit on file sizes for attachments. We had users sending 1GB files to each other and clogging up the whole queue until it transferred. I wish I were joking.

Needless to say, having a 15mb limit on email now pissed a LOT of people off.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Tab8715 posted:

What the hell kind of data are your users sending?

A lot of Photoshop and Illustrator files. Oh, and they were using email for versioning for those huge files too. Management balked at the idea of buying an actual CMS because OMG MONEY!?. I have a foot out of the door here before the whole company implodes.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Dark Helmut posted:

It does look at IP addresses, just in case the candidate tries to fill out his own surveys. That's not infallible security of course, but it's something.

That's why you go to Starbucks and use the 'porn' mode in your browser.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Inspector_666 posted:

Going to Starbucks will change your IP address, or at least give you anonymity.

And using private browsing ensures there are no cookies to remember you by. IP filtering does suck, but it is beyond the scope of most people outside of IT.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Race Realists posted:

Is OpenSUSE worth learning (for network administration and just in general)? I figure if I'm going to learn linux it may as well be one that I'm interested in

I've been using SuSe Enterprise Linux Server (SLES) for about a year to shore up our ancient Novell environment. I'd stick to Centos because SLES is very close to RedHat and is less popular.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I found this relevant to our on-going job discussions:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20141110134547-20017018-why-most-hiring-processes-are-ineffective-and-even-insulting

LinkedIn posted:

Smart companies don't care how long you've been doing what you do. Years of service indicate nothing; you could be the worst 10-year programmer in the world.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I really want the job, but I feel like at some point you're just getting jerked around right? Does anyone else ever feel that way? If I spent the past few weeks going through all the motions only to not get the position it's going to suck.

As a lot of people say, the interview process is a two way street, and I have found that repeated interviews and multiple visits are highly indicative of how an org/company run. Most of us are working when looking for another job, so don't jerk us around with repeatedly asking we make time to talk/meet with you. Personally, I only take calls/interviews during the day if I can not talk before 9 or after 5 because I am just not able to sneak away and talk about another position easily. And to add to that, I don't want to keep taking time off to interview because that looks suspicious as well.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Waste of a good thumbdrive, for sure.

Last year's was a thumbdrive in an aluminum bottle opener that had the grenade logo on one side and an arrow pointing at the boozy end reading "in case of emergency, please do the needful".

That is amazing. :golfclap:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Drunk Orc posted:

The schools in Hamilton County are supposedly some of the best in the country, I feel like every school says that though. They can afford to give all the kids iPads though so the district can't be too broke!

Zionsville?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
We are using a vendor to deploy Dynamics AX to replace one of our mainframes (YAY!), and we have been through a number of planning meetings where we were clear that we are a VMware shop.

The CIO gets a hard drive from the vendor with an all in one VM that does a demo with fake data, but it is a Hyper-V VHD. I start trying to convert it, and its taking forever. The following exchange happened:

Me: You know, this VM is for Hyper-V, and we told you we have a vSphere environment. Can you help us out?
Vendor PM: "I have not seen such as that would be complicated from a licensing perspective as non MS software."
Me: That should have no bearing on a non-licensed 2012 R2 guest. Can you please provide an OVA or VMDK version of the demo?
Vendor Engineer: "The one provided in USB through MS is applicable with Hyper-V if you use as it is. You can also put this on VMware and there are good you tube videos that can be refer too"
Me: :stare: :stare: :stare:

The instructions for the drive were literally "unzip and here is the login/pass". I had to change the networking and DNS service config so that the mapped drives would work right from the internal IIS sites. Thanks guys!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Yeah I really lost confidence in this project after that. We are going to build out the guests, but still, I feel apprehensive now.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

BurgerQuest posted:

As this role means moving interstate I won't be entertaining any counter offers from them, so I'm expecting the latter. I've been in this job for 6 years and it's become clear to move up I must move on.

Good for you! :toot:

I did that a few years ago, and while it was hard at first, it was the best thing for my career, and I have never looked back. I was screwed out of 2 promotions after nearly 6 years as well, and I bolted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I patched all 14 of my DC's tonight because gently caress rebuilding 2 different directories that are already a disaster.