Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Uh not really

Got cals for all your printers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mayodreams posted:

One of my buddies runs a graphics studio that does 3D rendering, videos, etc. I occasionally do some consulting for him, so when checking in with him this weekend, he told me he is looking for a new artist and something troubling happened.

He has 3 mothers of applicants follow up on their kids' submissions/interviews last week.

loving Seriously?! I don't even know how to understand that.

It is an internship or a job for teenagers?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

I generally tell people (verbatim) "Microsoft doesn't care about you, and they certainly don't care enough to call you about your computer."

I love trying to explain this to people in general "office 365 lynx is having an outage" "WELL CALL THEM AND TELL THEM HAVE 15 MINUTES TO FIX IT" poo poo like that happens once a week it's hilarious

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I love my MicroAge guy. He's my primary VAR, and we have accounts with most of the others. CDW, Zones, PC Mall, Dell, etc.

If it's not Dell hardware we order through MicroAge

Dell has been getting slower(to ship and build) and more expensive these past few months almost to the point where we are thinking of switching primary desk/lap top vendors.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Drunk Orc posted:

When is an acceptable time frame from landing your first IT job to looking for something better? I think I've read 6-12 months in this thread a few times before, but I feel like I'm not really learning too much of anything useful and have a ton of down time.

I've been the sole "tech guy" for a school with 50+ staff members/desktops and about 150 machines in labs/carts and have no problem handling all problems that pop up and still have 4 or more hours out of the day to study and just dick around.

Should I take advantage of the downtime and tolerate the poor pay until I finish my bachelors in a year, or am I setting myself up to be an over educated help desk guy?

Look for ways to spend those 4 hours either studying for certs or find projects that you can do, any sort of server upgrade or rollout that would look good on a resume.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah I read about how cloud is taking over but then I live in a major city and most of my clients struggle to find a 5 megabit upstream so I've got some time to learn.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Get familiar with MXTooxbox.com at the least.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

J posted:

We're starting to have increasingly more users requesting if we can provide them access to our windows file server on their phones, tablets, etc. These devices are their own personal devices so obviously there is a mix of operating systems at play here, and they also want to be able to access stuff from outside the office. I've been asking people who make this request for some information on their use case and what they actually want to accomplish, but I always get a vague answer back. "Oh I was just wondering." "Oh it would be faster to pull it up on my ipad instead of turning on my laptop." Those types of answers.

In my extremely brief researching of the topic I'm seeing all sorts of various third party apps popping up to provide this kind of service. Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to go about implementing something like this?

We've given people Pydio before it gets the job done and works on a multitude of platforms.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A+ is a very much learn it yourself kinda thing, if I interviewed a guy who went to a bootcamp for A+ I'd be a little concerned.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

evol262 posted:

It sounds like a new policy at MS.

I dunno about Microsoft, but banks like to hire people who worked at other banks, and it never seemed like anyone had trouble getting a different job

There are a shitton more banks then there are Microsofts.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

crunk dork posted:

Yeah they forward the help desk to my cell number too. Your time frame seems more reasonable, our SLA is 1 hour but they are expecting me to do this from 5am Saturday to 5am Monday (my actual shift starts at 5am on Monday). This has a $100 stipend, but given what they are asking it doesn't seem like much. I figured on call meant if emergency happens then you work, not monitor the queue and field calls your entire weekend. Seems to me they need to hire someone to work weekends or at least adjust shifts to cover it and give someone a couple weekdays off.

Yeah that's not on call that's working through the weekend.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just got access to AD at my t1 helpdesk job. My boss told me not to do tutorials because she doesn't want me to overstep our scope.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to ignore that. AD is the first real skill I'm learning here that will give me leverage to move up to an admin position. Because I'm not staying at this job past the end of the contract unless we start getting a lot more in-depth.

What is your scope, basic account setup and password resets? If so there isn't anything to learn past the first 3 minutes. Honestly AD in general is real easy aside from the minor ADSIedits you have to do sometimes with migrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

beepsandboops posted:

Teach me this wizardry

You can most of the time just join company.local instead of company or switched and it will let you rejoin. No need to even go into workgroup.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CloFan posted:

:lol: at this thread.

My users keep attempting to download Chrome and get malware instead. How hard is this?

If you do a Bing for Chrome you get a bunch of malware infected links before the chrome official link, only sometimes not all the time cannot figure out why but I've seen it on fresh installs it might have something to do with what IE version you have.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

3k salaried at a msp sounds like they want an entry tech they can work to death without OT.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ahdinko posted:

Bugger. I work at an MSP about 40 people in size so not tiny but not big. In the last month we've lost our three biggest customers (probably about 1800 users between them) and just now we lost one of our small ones. One of the big ones is closing down and the other two are being sold off so there's some residual hand-over/transition work for us to do to keep us busy for a few months and we're still doing the support until they onboard it, but once they're gone our supported userbase will be down from about 2.5K users to 650-700 or so. Supported servers will be down from about 250ish down to about 40.
We're not sure who's jobs are going to be affected and the CEO is an awesome guy who I'm sure will do everything he can before having to cut jobs, but with that kind of reduction I'm getting worried.

Anyone hiring for a Networking/Sys admin guy in Herts/London?

40 People? Our MSP is 6 people and it supports about 2k users and 300 servers what in the hell do 40 people do all day?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

crunk dork posted:

Well when I think of large I think of like Chicago or NYC or something. Indianapolis is decently sized but I don't know if I would really describe it as large myself, but I guess that's a matter of opinion too.

There's only 10 cities total with a pop of 1mil out of literally thousands of cities.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

adorai posted:

If I were an MSP CTO it would be hard for me to justify paying my MSP staff 2000 hours/week if they were only billing 1000.

Every MSP needs to build a foundation of long term paid monthly support contracts if you are payrolling out of straight billable hours you are probably going to fail or have amazing salespeople.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

For the Networking folks, what's the general use case for Site-to-Site VPNs?

What can and can't I run on a VPN. When would you start to look into a MPLS?

I'm reading that it's difficult to have consistently low latency over the VPN and I'm correct in the impression anything SQL or VoIP heavy won't run well.

We use site to site some of our smaller offices like 10ish people our latency is typically 50-80ish which is workable. As long as you aren't doing anything crazy over it it'll be fine. Honestly VOIP works better over VPN sometimes then it does over MPLS(gently caress YOU TIME WARNER)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

lampey posted:

This is a misrepresentation of what is happening. HCL and Cognizant(consulting companies) attempt to hire for jobs that don't yet exist with very specific skillsets. They are then able to get H1B visas approved and hire foreign workers. Companies like Disney outsource their IT department and layoff some workers. It is normal to have current employees turnover information to consultants/contractors. At no point is Disney hiring foreign workers. If Disney is able to replace ~500 jobs with outsourced workers, it would be a similar situation if they used foreign workers or not.

So everyone who was training their H1B replacement was a temp from a consulting company I hadn't heard that do you have a source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cthulhuite posted:

Vancouver is begging for good IT staff right now, if you're halfway decent and have 2-4 years experience you can basically have your pick of jobs.

I need a decent Sysadmin :v:

Is it really, I need to look into the work visa stuff for Canada I guess.