Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Tab8715 posted:

What's the difference between internal IT and Ops?

Sounds the same to me...

As previously said, internal IT is synonymous with corp IT and handles corporate services like exchange, AD, VPN and lots of other stuff. Desktop support is sometimes combined with this role, or may have dedicated staff.

When you start seeing ops and noc being tossed around you're most likely talking about a technology company that has a revenue stream based off of a large number of production servers. I work on a small web operations team with a few thousand servers, so I get to dabble with scale, but the company isn't so big that I'm silo'd to any one specialty.

The noc are the are the entry level techs who primarily do monitoring of production, escalation to ops, maintaining the data centers and just about everything hardware related. Ops handles configuration of the servers and the deployment of production applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Gym before work crew represent. Just started going 4-5 times a week myself on the regular a little over a month ago. Besides the lack of sleep it actually helps quite a bit with getting the energy level up early in the day and keeping it there.

I'm still fat, but working on it.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Chiming in with the gently caress Oracle crowd. After our last storage architect left, the company decided not to replace him, and so handed all of his responsibilities to an already over-worked and under-staffed ops department. Sounds like a recipe for success, eh?

He left us in the middle of a migration off of our 10 year old storage infrastructure to a bunch of misconfigured (by him) multi-million dollar Oracle appliances. Not all of our issues stem from the previous guys gently caress-ups, we've had several tickets in with Oracle and they've had to write custom workflows and OS patches to actually get the properly configured machines to not fall over in production. Getting anything from their support is like pulling teeth, just glad I'm not the guy that has to bitch and moan

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Head of HR left the company with a rather venomous farewell email, and I feel rather proud of the fact that I was called out directly for making their jobs difficult after they attempted to not pay overtime for on-call hours, even though it was said completely out of context in an attempt to make me look stupid.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Accretionist posted:

I'm imaging something like:

"...and joe944 just couldn't shut the hell up about us stealing his pay; very unprofessional, joe!"

My name wasn't spelled out, but the incident referred to was undeniably about me, and didn't contain the whole truth or even the more important parts of the story. Way to commit career suicide.

I'm implemented a few technologies, like the pulp repository management tool, that were probably a bit too early in their lifespan and had to deal with so many drastic changes that I'll likely never do it again.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Salaryfairy says I should be making 32k less than I do now. Shenanigans.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Due to conflict at my employer, it looks like I'm going to officially be the most senior member of my very short-staffed team. I'm not willing to say exactly what happened yet as the final outcome has not been reached, but let's just say that "ninja moves" and police were involved.

Currently I'm leaning towards weathering the storm and grabbing onto as much power as I can, and possibly making the jump to management at some point. Other members of my team have different ideas and don't want to deal with the situation, so just going elsewhere would be the route of least resistance if things took a turn for the worse here. Losing just one more person would make my job VERY difficult and would almost put me into an always on-call situation, which I absolutely will not deal with.

So, any advice on how to deal with crazy situations like this, and perhaps ways to leverage to my advantage? Also, I have two job slots opening next week for sr. linux sysadmins doing web operations in sunnyvale. :)

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Part of the problem is that the previous role was both technical team lead and manager, which is a fault of upper management to properly staff the department. This will be remedied and there will be a split lead/management role, however, I think it would be too early in my technical career to go for a pure management role. Not sure if they plan to have another official team lead in title, since that would warrant giving me another raise but I'll have to discuss that at some point.

We aren't short staffed to the point of only being 1 or 2 people, but there are many issues that either myself or one of a short list of developers has to step in and troubleshoot/fix. I really can't complain much because things are running quite smoothly, I just don't have the manpower to accomplish the big project work that I want done in a timely manner. For over a year now I've been migrating chunks of our infrastructure that hadn't been touched in 5-7 years over to our puppet environment, so I have quite a few things that I'd like to see completed for reputation's sake and pride. Definitely going to be keeping my eyes open for better opportunities though.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Misogynist posted:

If your environment was previously a shitshow, there's big advantages to being the only admin for a little while. You get the chance to basically remake the infrastructure and the processes around it in your own image, and fix all the bullshit accumulated from years of inertia. If nothing else, it can be an awesome experience learning about your own limitations.

That's essentially what I've done with roughly 80% of the environment so far, which is one of the reasons things have been so stable as opposed to two years ago. I'm also a senior in title and pay, while the other guy was in the 150 range I'm fairly close, so my situation really isn't terrible. It's really just a WTF moment with so many potential outcomes.

I suppose my thought is where to go from there, once I'm done re-building and get the itch to do something different.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

With all of the openstack discussion, I figured this would be a good time to bring this up. I just got the green light from my company to research any possible training/certifications that I want to complete in the next year or so. Openstack seems like a good candidate for growing my career, although I'm certainly open to other recommendations.

Anyone have any experience with or recommend any of the official openstack course offerings? RH appears to offer a certification track for it, but they are also a bit more expensive and my only choice would be online since they have no classroom courses in the bay area. Rackspace and Mirantis look like a pretty decent deal, but I need to do more research on the quality of the training.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Best I got this year was a 6-pack of Breckenridge Holidale from our VAR. And some hilarious (but quite tasty) Verizon-branded chocolate lol.

I'm pretty sure we got the same Verizon chocolates. Did it come in a massive container with like 60 of them and little plastic covers around the individual chocolates?

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

If you reach the point where you have no faith in the ability of your colleagues to perform a task without loving up and causing you a ton of work, is there any option other than :yotj:?

Are you me? Oh, and my boss just got fired along with the head of development so that the new regime can bring in their crony. We are already missing management in between ops and the executives, and now we just lost the only guy who had our back. Half of my incompetent team is out of the office and new projects are stacking up.

If anyone needs a sr. linux sysadmin with a deep understanding of puppet and web operations, let me know. :D

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Had a very optimistic first round of interviews with another company, where I was told by the VP I interviewed with that they were looking to create a new role for me not bound by any of the current departments, so that I can have the freedom to work on the most important and critical projects and drive each department towards accomplishing those goals. I was not really expecting this when I first came in, but it sounds challenging and exciting.

Second round comes tomorrow for the more technical side, one of the slots with a pure software engineer. Should be good times.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

The thought has crossed my mind. Have to see how it plays out.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

You can potentially find a combo role like my first IT job. I had technical support experience, but there were guys that had zero experience whatsoever there, and it was a mix of helpdesk, noc and even some actual sysadmin work.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

When I made the jump from technician to sysadmin I totally screwed myself. The job application asked for a salary range and I lowballed myself so much that they offered me more than my high end. Ended up working out in the end.

Now I'm at my next transition and actually had a really good interview today at what looks to pretty much be my dream job. Haven't negotiated salary/options yet, but I'd probably be content making what I am now plus decent options/bonuses. Here's to hoping that it's :yotj: for me soon.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

MF_James posted:

A friend of mine has installed a front and rear dashcam because 4-5 years ago he got into a REALLY bad accident with some idiot, like crushed vertibrae and problems for life kind of bad, it was said idiots fault. The police hosed up when they wrote up the report and after years of fighting now this piece of poo poo changed his story, and basically my buddy might get completely hosed and saddled with crippling medical debt, we're talking 200K+ if not more by now.

This happened to my parents. My dad couldn't work for years and had to have repeated back surgeries after an enlisted woman in the US Army with no insurance decided make-up time was more important than looking at the red light up ahead. They had to go through a bankruptcy and have been down financially since. They should be fine when they retire next year, but it literally screwed up most of their/our lives. I also use a dash cam.

In the final stages of nailing down an offer, and although we haven't negotiated salary/options yet, they kind of initiated that process by asking for my w2/paystub. Since I'm not too concerned with a number at the moment, I'll see how it pans out, but is this a tactic anyone has run into?

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

I've already submitted mine un-redacted, time will tell if that was a mistake. There are a lot of factors still keeping me interested in the position, that, in my opinion, outweigh the negatives so far.

When I mentioned this to my contact at the company he offered that they might want to do extra verification because my years of experience to seniority/pay grade ratio is a bit whack.

Besides the opportunity to learn and and get certified by a major openstack player, I'm just more than done at my current position. I'd rather not extrapolate too much on that at the moment, but let's just say that it would be a tragedy for me to not eventually share a few snippets from the current circus act I've found myself in.

joe944 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 18, 2015

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

It's officially :yotj: time for me. What a relief.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

NippleFloss posted:

Where do you think that money is going to go? Other countries with unstable currencies or less business friendly regulations? Other industries with higher capital requirements and longer development times?

The "tech bubble" is situated almost entirely in Silicon Valley and there will certainly be a crunch there, but the majority of IT people don't work for startups, they work as sysadmins or internal developers or BI folks and their companies aren't going to lay them off just because DickWidgets in Santa Clara can't find any seed money.

There is no company in the world that is having a meeting right now to discuss how they can use less technology. Technology jobs in general aren't going anywhere and as long as there are a lot of jobs out there they will demand a reasonable salary because they will have to in order to get decent workers. The nature of those jobs will change, but that's been the case for 30 years now.

Yep. Most of the startups that will be affected aren't even at the scale where they've brought on systems engineers to re-design the infrastructure for scale.

Hell, there may even be more jobs for us as these companies get swooped up for pennies and the new parent companies figure out how to integrate the products with their own.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just try to get promoted now. In the areas where you're strong, you'll do great; In the areas where you're weak, you'll learn quickly.

These guys speak the truth. You don't want to stagnate in an environment where you aren't being challenged on a daily basis, especially with how things are evolving. IMO, more than 1 year in a help desk/noc is more than enough to move up to a sysadmin position if you're working at it and it's what you want to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

NippleFloss posted:

We do consulting work for a telecom, and let me tell you, their ability to execute internal projects in a timely manner is at least as bad as their ability to execute external projects in a timely manner. Like, three weeks to get cables run a few racks over and some ports configured. Like, asked to configure storage for for VSphere connectivity and after logging in to the switches the storage is connected to I rediscover that they are literally not connected to anything else anywhere. Not other switches, not servers, not even each other.

As another telecom consultant, which may or may not be one mentioned in this thread, I can attest to just how terrible the internal processes are. The smallest change to production requires no less than 20 people to be involved and takes weeks of planning with redundant documentation required. Not to mention that I'm working on a massive openstack environment for a telecom, for additional lulz.