Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Turnquiet posted:

I am not overly impressed with Salary Fairy, or more importantly the 4 "peers" who have underestimated my salary by 25k.

I've got about 3 lovely retail jobs, a field IT tech job and a HVAC customer service job and it's overestimating by almost 3 times what I make. And that's out of like 20 peers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Got an interview for my first IT job in almost 4 years, it's a support position with YMCA. Excited to maybe get my feet wet somewhere but nervous that because it's a non-profit it won't pay all that well. Even if I make a dollar more than what I do now I'm taking it and not looking back because at this point I'm not going anywhere with this loving HVAC sales job.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Dennis Kucinich posted:

My prior experience is limited to working in a retail PC repair shop and a short gig doing support for a web hosting company, so I'm hardly overqualified for the position. I recently obtained my A+, now studying for Network+, and I was accepted into WGU's online BS-IT program (currently back-and-forth on whether or not I should enroll). Assuming I'm not totally misguided in accepting this job offer, I would appreciate any advice on making the best of this opportunity and preparing for future career prospects. Is the BS worth pursuing or should I wait? Are there any certs I should study for with the aim of eventually breaking into network engineering?

The advice I've been hearing over the years is work hard and never say no. Keep up with doing those certs, and maybe look to the CCNA and MCSE later on. You can totally get by without a degree, although it will help you make it through the first wave of many HR people having a BS. I don't have any helpdesk experience so I don't know how much flexibility you'd have for doing other tasks outside of your job description but it wouldn't hurt to throw yourself out there and stand out.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My guess is that you'd be simply deploying new PCs to access the network, installing the appropriate software the school uses, and then getting the printer to work over LAN. Pretty easy stuff once you do it once or twice. I wouldn't sweat it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

When I run into a problem I usually go to the something awful forums and ask for any tips
:goonsay:

I'd be equally shocked and disturbed to discover that the person interviewing me is asking if I had stairs in my house.

"Yeah SH/SC is where I go too"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Have an interview today at YMCA for a Tech Support I position (from what I can tell it's basically helpdesk but nobody else through google has any good info on it) and I'm pretty nervous, partly because they're a non-profit and if they want me, they want me at a price no higher than some retail jobs in the area. So for me, if it's even a dollar above what I make now (a touch above retail) I'm going to take it.

Dark Helmut posted:

I would ask about the last guy they had in the role and why he left. And of course what your day to day will consist of...

This is one question I always mean to ask but seemingly forget, I'm studying up on the company's values and all that but nerves usually get the best of me. Any other questions that are effective to ask? Is it acceptable to ask about continuing education and training?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

Agreed, you'll get some hands-on experience both with the tech and with dealing with users. I imagine you'd also get a complimentary membership to (if it's anything like my local Y) a pretty decent health club!

Yeah from what I've been told it is a complimentary membership which is cool so I can start working out again. The interview went very well, had a young girl in HR, the CFO (who joined 4 years ago as a bookkeeper) and a HR intern. It honestly was the least stressful and laid back interview I've had, they were making jokes so I fired some right back, didn't get technical at all, more just how you'd handle situations. They also mentioned finding an IT Director so I am wondering if they're scrambling and lost a few people.

Find out this week if I got the job, I want so badly to quit this crap.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

Report this to HR. Totally unacceptable behaviour and it only stops when there are visible consequences to people who do poo poo like this.

If they ignore it, take the apology mail to a lawyer.

I can't imagine being in this sort of position, but I've seen people choose to just let this poo poo fly because it otherwise creates a really weird work dynamic once a whistle is blown. I don't think I'd have thick skin to just let myself live with getting poo poo on like that and definitely advocate more appropriate working conditions. Why that even has to be a thing though is baffling. People suck.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Exit Strategy posted:

My handler just called me to say that my contract has just been extended "as long as possible, with an eye towards full-time hire with a significant raise."

So... :yotj: but I get to stay where I am? I like it here.

I heard this for the 3 years I was at my last job. Also watched like 5k people get fired, IT was constantly under consideration of getting outsourced, and watch an actual employee go through a dozens season of Netflix shows without incident.

The koolaid at that company was nuts but at least they pushed safety super hard. More companies should do that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I just got back into working at a smaller company as desktop support, which is great because the last company I was with suffered from an always changing upper management and constant threats of outsourcing.

I'm also taking classes at WGU. Are there any subscription or free trials to take advantage of that could help with this sort of support? I'm going to start tackling powershell but wasn't sure if there was stuff like Dreamspark anymore or what

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I love hanging out with coworkers. Some of my best friends are past and current coworkers, including at least one girlfriend. You all should try being more social.

I don't mind hanging out with coworkers, especially old ones but usually any hangout that involves current coworkers outside of work is usually just talking poo poo about other people at work or work itself.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Xanderkish posted:

I'm working on it, but poo poo like an 8 hour mandatory bonding event still is a lot for me, and a confident can-do mental attitude isn't exactly some switch I just choose not to flip because I enjoy the challenge.

Fake it til you make it.

Additionally, make it a switch. You're in control of how you feel and while yes anxiety is a hell of a thing, it only gets worse from choosing to avoid situations instead of just biting the bullet and feeling uncomfortable going against your gut.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I haven't been this exciting by my own posting since I fired that goon a few years ago.

Story please

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I hear a lot of people recommend Powershell, especially to automate stuff. Azure or O365 may be good stuff to get caught up on too.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The new company I started at a few weeks ago is using SolarWinds RMM for their remote stuff. It seems pretty robust although I haven't seen what else is out there.

Anyways, there's a lot of poo poo in here that I'm simply unfamiliar with and don't want to break any prod machines. Anyone have any good resources for this stuff or good tutorials?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
In a company-wide conference call, there was some sort of acronym that was being brought up as a new initiative and the first letter was "D". After reciting all of the letters of the acronym, the co-speaker proudly exclaimed, "Now give me the D!!!!!". I've never heard an entire office environment laugh in unison.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

jaegerx posted:

I am however of the opinion that you can just look at my GitHub rather that I provide you free work for your test. Same with my resume over LinkedIn. You want to see what I do. Google my name.

I love your old games arcade lobby and Runscape!!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Methanar posted:

tell me why I shouldn't live in oklahoma

Because it's in America.

Additionally you could live in Minnesota where it gets both sweltering hot and deathly cold for weeks a time.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Some study I read said the UP of Michigan would be the most desirable place in the continental US to live in 2100, since it will have all the water and won't be as ungodly hot as the rest of the country. You should probably move there now, before the rush.

I basically grew up in the UP and while I'd love to live there, the job market pretty much sucks unless you want to work in the mines. It is absolutely beautiful though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

thats not how you pronounce azure.

New thread title please

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
This is gonna be a good day. With Dunder Mifflin and Sabre Ah-shor-ay.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 25, 2019

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mad Wack posted:

cio talking about improving our company’s presence in second life today

Like, the old MMO?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

Also I can report with 100% success rate that if you gently caress off for 9 months you can somehow come back to a less stressful job for more money so everyone should do that

Hey, I hosed off for 9 months after getting laid off and now work a less stressful job for more money, too. I did manage to get my Net+ and re-enroll in school during that time though so it wasn't completely hosed off.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I tried for a while to really help the guys there. I occasionally will still post in a good thread where someone has put some sort of effort into figuring their problem out, but yeah. It's weakly moderated, and full of one man shops being asked to keep a small business running off ebay parts and prayers, MSP lifers, and people that just post their issue without putting any effort into their post. If there was a more heavily moderated version with larger company/enterprise type admins I'd be way more active.

One of my favorite things about SA, and why I've enjoyed the last 15 years here is the moderation. chucklefucks get ran off pretty quick. We're a small group of people in this thread, but for the most part ya'll are pretty cool.

You should see r/ITCareerQuestions. So many people looking on how to get a start in IT but can't be hosed to do a basic google search or even a subreddit search, as if their question hasn't been asked ten times in the last day. The basic lack of searching skills and self-awareness in that makes me fear for whoever hires them.

I have always liked SA for it's more strict moderation, or even a basic level of moderation lol. It helps that I still prefer the old message board style of reading than reading a popularity contest for upboats and some real funny banter. People at least somewhat try here.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Methanar posted:

American companies. I probably was supposed to take today anyway because I'm employed by their canada incorporated entity, but whatever.

I'm tired of involuntary vacations :(

Hey I worked in America for a Canadian entity too. They used to do free PTO days each month but then took it away and then brought it back except just for Canadians. They also let them keep the Keurigs, and got nice, new furniture.

I did get to pilot the Surface tablets though, so that was pretty neat.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Agrikk posted:

While we don’t expect you to know all these services, we are looking for candidates who lean into not knowing stuff, are comfortable with not knowing stuff, and are curious about and are driven to learn more about the things they don’t know.

Well poo poo, this is me to a T. Sign me up.

Kidding aside, you're selling me hard on cloud services, too. I was almost positive I was going to take a network route up until a year or two ago with the emergence of The Cloud. While I still don't exactly know what the day to day is like for a CSE, the stuff you describe and the little I've watched of like the AWS training material is certainly fascinating.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I am the first full time, boots on the ground person at my facility for the first time in nearly a decade and the last guy in my spot did a great job of keeping things documented and organized on our IT closet... to the point of keeping floppies neatly labeled from 1999, saving tape drives dating back to 2003, network schematics when the servers were first installed, all of which of course is unused now. But it's kind of neat seeing how the place used to operate. For some reason everyone else that's been through here in the mean time didn't feel the need to throw away DDR1 ram, P4 motherboards, or countless cooling fans. We've been an HP shop for over 10 years now so I'm not sure exactly what that stuff was even used for and why it was kept in the closet next to the Elitebooks and Elitedesks...

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The HP Elitebook 840 G5 has a little built-in sliding cover. Pretty cool, actually.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

I have been tasked with stocking laptop chargers for guests to use when theirs inevitably are broken/lost/forgotten/what ever.

Does anyone have a good solution beyond just buying a bunch of common plugs/power ratings? The universal ones I've seen all seem pretty sketch by design and seem to be more used for "does this laptop turn on" diagnostics rather than actually charging a laptop for an extended period of time.

There are plenty out there that come with a variety of adapters and work fine for a stop gap. Some may not charge at full speed and others might not charge at all, but it will keep it from dying.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sepist posted:

The one exception is a doctor I used to date but she is into pyramid schemes so she's just a rogue

It's scary to me that these people have gone to so many years of school yet can't see the forest for the trees on poo poo like that.

See also: people who publicly spout nasty poo poo on facebook and fill their profile up with all their info, publicly available of course

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Any of you run any sort of dashboards or something similar on some spare screens? I've got an old TV that won't be put back out into deployment that I'd like to hang on the wall to monitor... things?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

We have rotating SolarWinds status screens set up using full-screen Chrome and a tab-switching extension.

We have been slowly migrating to SolarWinds RMM and I forgot they had a dashboard and that Revolver extension is exactly what I needed for some other web stuff. Thanks!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

My avatar is my house

I am sorry for your loss. Blants.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So we've got a poo poo ton of old hard drives that need to be destroyed and while throwing ideas around I jokingly linked my boss to this: https://purelev.com/

It's basically a simple hard drive crusher that snaps the drives in half using leverage, but it looks really archaic. Thought it'd get a laugh but IT has been super under budget and a couple others liked the idea so they went ahead and plunked down the $350 for it lol.

I've never worked for a company that has been able to spend money so freely. I've been able to get myself a bunch of books for learning, any type of PC equipment that I need, etc. and they don't question it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone know of a decent PC that could be used as a glorified powerpoint display? Our current solution is a bunch of HP Elitedesk 800 G2 (i5, 8gb, 120gb ssd) but they're over $600 each and I feel like that is completely irresponsible place to spend money, even if the department has the budget. We have them deployed as end user machines as well and I feel like it's very overkill for just being used for a network-attached powerpoint display.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Is this for actual digital signage? If it is, and depending on the corporate/personal tolerance for hand-build solutions, you could use a cheap Raspberry Pi or an Intel Compute Stick.

I suggested the Compute Stick. I think Raspberry Pis were used at one point but because we had a load of old Elitedesk PCs we just kinda used them for displays.

Basically, they're being used as dashboards for the production lines in each of our facilities. We do have some public-facing ones in the lobbies but all of them are either TVs or old/reused monitors. Nothing like the new displays you see at fast food joints now. Not that we'd ever need anything that looks that crisp.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

It does sound like overkill, but reusing something that would otherwise sit on a shelf is always going to be cheaper than buying new stuff. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess I should rephrase. We already re-used the old stuff that was end-user equipment but now they're looking at getting brand new machines dedicated for powerpoint presentations.

Heck even they could be like Folding@Home machines or bitcoin miners I'd feel a little better but

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Bonzo posted:

We have smart TVs each with a Pi attached that runs dashboards for internal stuff like ticket count, server status, etc. We just load up Chromium and point it at an ASPX page (lol I know) and that's it.

I'm pretty sure Kodi has a Kiosk Mode for something like this as well.

I wanted to do a RaspPi but our remote management software doesn't support it officially. We've had really good luck with the Elitedesks in the past, as none of them have had any issues for the couple years we've been doing this, it just seems like a big waste of potential computational power. Our manager also cited that we've been extremely under budget the last few years and the company is doing very well, so they can throw money at this in exchange for us not having to spend much time at all on them but the cheapskate in me wants to spend much less and just devote some time towards a smaller footprint solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MF_James posted:

A guy at work took TWO weeks off starting Monday for this, he said he woke up and got in queue at like 5am or something; this person is 34.

I mean, honestly it's whatever but holy poo poo 2 weeks, that's a lot of vacation for a video game. I assume he's going to poopsock into vanilla WoW raids.

I mean, if it's for a chance to experience WoW for the first time again like you did 15 years ago, I don't see much wrong with that. 2 weeks does seem excessive lol