Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Im currently wondering if I need to get off a sinking ship right now.

Our company is completely loving hijacked by a demented AWS engineer who's built this insane ball of complexity that seems to involve attempting to use EVERY SINGLE loving SERVICE in AWS. Lambdas up the wazoo, pipelines, poo poo NoSql database stuff for whom "can I get a report on...." must invariably be answered with a "No". Event busses, that idiotic Git repo that isnt compatible with anything. And stuff I could knock together in Rails and Postgress in a week gets blown out into 'This will take me six months" type things.. Even the slightest minor change request turns into a massive trauma of meetings and planning and ridiculous multi month gant charts. And all this for something that just forwards commands to IOT lightbulbs. Meanwhile investors are freaking out, tempers are fraying and everyone but him is copping hell, because he's the star recruit when everyone else are mere mortals.

NEED TO ESCAPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Apply at a AWS Partner, tell your manager and sales team you know of a customer that needs a ton of help. Sell them back yourself as a consultant!

Then profit!

I just don't get whats wrong with a good old fashion lunix vhost a postgres db and battletested apps that don't happen to be written in favorite hipster buzzwork of the week :/ Maybe I'm getting too old for this poo poo, and need to retire but will probably get killed in a shootout 3 days before my last day on patrol leaving the hot headed new recruit to avenge my death despite the objections of the station sergent about his unorthodox ways

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

George H.W. oval office posted:

POTS will never truly go away because elevators emergency lines need them. Other than that :shrug:

You'd think so, but we had a major power outage at my old job, no UPS or backup generator and our loving *CEO* got stuck in the elevator , aaaaand the emergency phone WAS going through the PABX... which was down.

It was awesome.

edit: Oh the security/fire alarm WAS direct. Guess they never thought the elevator line was ever going to be an emergency. Id hate to think what would happen in a fire. Fireys turn up , conclude nobody was in the elevator and depriotitize it, Boss gets ovened.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 1, 2020

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Definitely gonna test it out on my boss for removing all my o365 permissions. He made me his guinea pig for poo poo he never followed through on so turnabout is only fair play right?

A previous job I was in I removed my boss's admin permissions after I discovered he was reading everyones emails on the exchange server (This was around the NT4 era, not sure if thats still possible). Caused big drama, but he accepted it after I told him I'd restore it only if he announced to to the company that he was reading all their emails.

I didnt want that job anyway and left a couple of months later