Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Colonial Air Force posted:

If part of your proper plan is to follow a checklist, and within that checklist is to verify the configuration, yes, it could have been prevented.

And, once again, human error can strike.

You literally cannot prevent it. You can minimize it and reduce it, but you can never fully remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

So YOTJ for me to. Currently on month 5 of a 6-month contract, but got my offer letter today for it to turn full-time. Salaries decent, much better than I made prior to coming here, but is the same as the contract rate. I would get benefits, including a guaranteed bonus, stock purchase plan, and RRSP matching (I'm Canadian, so think something similar to a 401K). I'm countering the offer, hoping to get the salary up a bit, as its lower than the industry-average. My problem is that its very much a jack-of-all-trades type of job, so pinning down averages is tough - I think they're looking at "Tier 1 helpdesk", when I'm more into a network/jr. network admin role, along with setting up automation and bringing system deployment, security, and a few other things closer to decent. I'm not looking for the moon, but damnit its like pulling teeth.

Ah well, we'll see where it ends up. I'll accept the offer as-is if they can't do better, but I know they can afford to.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

alg posted:

It's not like Canada with one or two cities worth seeing and a frozen hellscape in between.

Get hosed. We've got nicer poo poo than you guys, and less people ruining it (except you southern assholes coming up).

Mostly just taking the piss here, but, yeah - we have a ton of amazing places to visit/see, especially if you like nature. Big cultural cities? Okay, only a few.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

mewse posted:

As someone from Manitoba i am truly offended you guys would try to downplay how much of a frozen hellscape it is

As someone also originally a farm kid from Manitoba, everyone else is a goddamn wuss about cold. Shits beautiful as hell - you never get nicer night skies than -40.
In reality though, we do have some awesome cities - Montreal is amazing, Ottawa and Quebec City are full of cool old buildings, Winnipeg's got some decent culture, Regina has brewpubs, Calgary and Edmonton have stuff, Vancouver's got addicts...I mean, we're amazing!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Super Slash posted:

I think I should do a double check if any machines have any local accounts floating around, nobody even knows of their existence since they barely know how to login into their domain user account. Although it has saved my bacon once, there was a laptop user at who was desperate to use a home printer for reasons of a next day presentation, domain admin wasn't cached and there was no VPN so this user was basically SOL, as a hail mary I told the support guy to try some details of an initial windows setup account which might be there.

We keep a single local admin account active (and passworded) on each system for this purpose specifically. Only we admins know it, and its only used as a "last-resort" option, but its great to have.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Sheep posted:

If you were given the option to standardize your whole organization on any one make & model of printer, with 'none' not being an option, what would it be?

I'd have to grudgingly say Canon imageRunner only because they are very slightly less terrible than our Konica Minoltas or Xeroxes.

Sharp MX6240N. Our most heavily-used printer is one, and its a beast. Pushing 100,000 plus pages per month (likely more, I should check the stats, but, effort), and rarely (if ever) gives us issues. Its a goddamn beast, and I'm constantly impressed with it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I have a scar on my left thumb from years ago when I was an idiot and didn't know what the gently caress so I was trying to unjam a tape by reaching my hand into the stupid loving thing without gloves and yanking it free.

Unless you need to back up things measured in peta/exa bytes or are backing up from nowhere, midwestistan without a reasonable way to get a proper uplink just don't.

Hi hello we are #2 option here with a 10mb link that we pay like $2000 a month for. So, yes, its tapes all the way down. I'd loving kill to have cloud backups be an option, but....

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Sefal posted:

I may be in the minority but I like writing scripts in powershell for little meaningless stuff, just to make me more fluent in it. I'll end up using that knowledge in other scripts anyway.

Nope, I find I'm learning PS better this way. Hell, a lot of it is "google for existing scripts that do this, figure out how/why it works, and re-write it myself to meet my needs".

I loving love powershell.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Okay, so, stupid question incoming. I can't see any way to scan a system (via either PDQInventory/Deploy or Kace) to verify that all of our workstations have the proper KB installed to block the SMB exploit. Googling right now, unfortunately, is just turning up a googleplex of articles about the ransomware attack. Anyone have an idea/site they can point me at/unlimited supply of coffee?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Sickening posted:

The registry is a paid only feature.

We have enterprise on both PDQ's, and Kace is paid for as well. I'm just not finding what registry key to scan for/look at.

Tequila25 posted:

I'm using PDQ Inventory and have a collection that looks for any Windows computer that has: Not Any - Hot Fix - Name - Matches expression - KB4012212|KB4012213|KB4012214|KB4012215|KB4012216|KB4012217|KB4012598|KB4013429|KB4015217|KB4015438|KB4015549|KB4015550|KB4015551|KB4015552|KB4015553|KB4016635|KB4019215|KB4019216|KB4019264|KB4019472

Thank you - I'll give this a shot! Appreciate it!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

:lol: at everyone scrambling to patch their systems this morning

I was already 80% or more patched, just working on grabbing the few stragglers where the PC isn't on when updates are pushed. Those are just getting the updates right now :P
Just needed a quick list to send to our corporate overlords.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Sepist posted:

Our officer manager has an office but not a corner office. Hmmm. I am very far down on the "should have an office" list though. Perhaps I should declare myself a recognized state and claim eminent domain

Find a bullshit excuse to "use" it for a day or two, then just never leave. Its worked for a few people where I work hahah.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Sickening posted:

Speaking of toilets, we are having some vendors down helping some other department with a project and I just had a memorable moment. On my way into the bathroom I meet one of them at the door and he slaps me on the back and says "I warmed it up for you" with a chuckle. What the holy gently caress.

Time to poo poo on his car and say the same. What in the christ is wrong with people. Urgh.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

lucky.

They gave the server room a window so the servers can enjoy the scenery. My office is attached to the server room towards the inside of the building so it's pure artificial light every day.

Our admin building (industrial site) was built in 2012.

They forgot to spec an office for IT.

They also forgot to spec a server room. Which had to be added on after the fact. Including very expensive ducted AC.

And our IT office is a small room with no windows, two heat vents, and a thermostat in the control of a crazy menopausal woman who's cold when its 90 degrees. My life is a sweaty hell.

Still beats my old job :/

Siochain
May 24, 2005

adorai posted:

generally, there is a baffle you can adjust in the ceiling. Would probably take the facilities team about 30 seconds to fix the issue.

Lol not a chance.

We just stuffed a bunch of rags into the one, and the other is fine, because it isn't right over us. But, yeah, I need my own personal AC.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

So to derail the topic at hand, and because I know at least a few of you work in industrial settings:

Does anyone know of a heavy-duty scanner with a document feed that can handle lovely, bent, warped pieces of paper? Say ones that were folded and stuffed into pockets and are a little oily/damp? Speed is almost irrelevant - if someone can just fit a stack of pages in and hit "Go" and walk away, life would be great. My google-fu is weak on this, as everything seems to be "high-speed" and not "deals with scanning used toilet paper"

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Ideally, but at least that gives me something to base the search off of. There can be upwards of 50-100 of these sheets every day that would need done, and currently its being hand-scanned one at a time on the flatbed portion of our MFP's. Its a frustrating process that highly-paid people are being forced to do because management are...idiots. So I'm trying to find a solution to save people who need to do real work time doing bullshit work.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah, calling in from a different tropical location every time.

Get someone at work to take a good quality still of the office conference room and make it look like you are in there.
Or the office shitter, either/or.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

There are few things that grate me more than getting attitude from the person you're calling. Hey, did my waking you up inconvenience you? Guess what, the only way I can call you right now is if I myself was already awake, so guess where you can put that attitude. e: It's actually for this very reason that if you call me at 3am about an outage, I'm going to sound surprisingly cheery. Why? Because you've already been banging your head against it for an hour before you said let's call Stripe, do you really need me trying to sound smug and superior too? "Hey bud what's up sure let me take a look" is the only thing you need to be hearing after you've run out of ideas.

Now this is why I always think I'd like working for/with you. Unless someones got a habit of calling you for stupid reasons, then just smile and get it done.
Also, may be YOTJ soon(ish) - wife's incredibly done with her job, and a new job for her will 99% chance entail a move and a new job for me. But I feel much more comfortable that I'm not actually an idiot with the last years worth of awesomeness. Not a 100% chance I'll have to move on, but it will be what it will be.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Sickening posted:

Before I put in my notice, I got into it with HR and my boss about raises for my staff. We don't blink in spending money 30k a year on printer ink but when I am looking to pump someone higher than 5% the loving heels dig in.

Two departments where I work are going to loving implode because of this. Job markets been stalled for a few years, but its starting to pick up. Being cheap loving bastards is going to result in a lot of people with 5 or more years of site knowledge disappearing.
2% annual raises for everyone, regardless of performance? Way to boost moral.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Everything is negotiable. Everything.

That said, the easiest thing to ask for and receive is to be maxed out on PTO at day one. Most places make you accrue it so you get maxed out after a year or some such.

gently caress I wish that had been the case here. I got another 10% over their original offer, but any vacation day changes were just a no-go.
Sucks, because 2 weeks is poo poo. 3 weeks is good enough - one 2 week vacation, and 5 days for misc. stuff.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

It is because they have killed most of the people. :smith:

Standard Winnipegger. Its worse everywhere else in the province, but you bloody princesses cry about everything.

I'm from Brandon, where its colder, windier, and less funded by our tax dollars. Bloody perimiteritis.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Typical Brandonite, with no thought of all the poor people in Carman being snatched up by UFOs.

Beats living in Carman. Or Winnipeg :P

IT related - our phone vendor, in order for us to continue receiving maintenance, forced an upgrade upon our Avaya. Which went poorly. Which led to my boss pulling nearly 20 hours, us reverted to the same old version, and about 50-100 phones on site bricked/needing to be completely reset.

He's gone home to sleep, and I'm cleaning up the mess our vendor put us in.

We literally have no other options (remote site).

Yay Friday?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Kashuno posted:

We have decided to go forward with Microsoft Dynamics ERP and get rid of SAP. Anybody have thoughts/experience with ERP implementation?

Have fun, we're going the exact opposite way and I look forward to profuse ennui and rampant alcoholism.

Thankfully its corporate pushing it so we won't need to do anything...

hahahah
haahhahahahahahha

Those loving nitwits can't do poo poo, so we'll have to figure it out for users on site :(

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Wibla posted:

I use two phones, never going back to one. Being able to put the work phone on silent after hours is well worth the inconvenience of having two phones to charge etc.

100% this. Also, works got a wicked data plan that I tethered off of during vacation...boss didn't care, he okay'd it from the start.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Necronomicon posted:

Has anybody here heard of a program called Covenant Eyes? One of our sales dudes dropped off his laptop for a fix and mentioned offhand that his church requires that he use it. On cursory research, this looks like some kind of activity tracking software, but can this poo poo monitor keystrokes / mouse movement too?

Its supposedly just a web-filter, but I saw it cause all ~kinds~ of weird issues at my old job on peoples PC's. I wouldn't put it past that shitheap to be a keylogger, etc.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Wisconsin ain't so bad if you can get past negative double digits and a foot of snow. But that's been pretty rare in the last few years.

Get a snowmobile and everywhere snowy is fun again. I love cold and feet of snow - beats the hell out of hot and hurricaney.

PS - stay safe Floridians

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Walk in, take some stuff and say hello, walk out.

Be carrying a cable tester and a clipboard. Randomly hit buttons, mumble something, steal the entire tray, and walk out muttering about "conflicts with the wifi"

Siochain
May 24, 2005

I got in somewhat early on the gmail train, but still missed first.last even though I'm not overly common. I do share the name of a somewhat-famous 18th-century american poet, and I think someone who was a fan stole it for that. I did get fmlast@ though, so its cool.

My "throwaway" email gets goddamn Gumtree adverts for someone in Aus and also newsletters for a Marge in some retirement community in Arizona. The current drama is that Jim and Diane's new camper almost hangs over the sidewalks, so the community committee needs to have a meeting about whether that is violating any bylaws, and if not, how to create one to prevent this issue.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Agrikk posted:

Sup infertility buddy :smith:

The wife and I tried for seven years with three IVF attempts that finally resulted in twins. During that childless-but-attempting time there was nothing more piercing than someone blithely saying, "What? No kids? Why not?"

People just don't realize how bitterly personal a question like that can be.

Out of sheer frustration I used to dump the whole load on people: "Well you see, my wife and I are having fertility problems. We have been loving like rabbits and using the best techniques science can provide but nothing yet. And at the moment both of us are struggling with crushing depression over it. Did I adequately answer your probing and deeply personal question T this bus stop?"

But then comes the followup as they try to extricate themselves from the dogshit that they realize they've stepped in:

"Have you thought about adopting?"

No. In the last seven years you are the first person to bring this up. Because my wife and I have not yet researched all of our options exhaustively before shelling out $30,000 a pop for IVF attempts.

Oh wow. I got all E/N in an IT thread.

Anyways, my heart goes out to you and the wife, Nerdrock.

Going through this process now - fertility doc appointments incoming.
I'm stressed, wife is stressed - everything is stressed.
We're hoping there's something "Easy" to solve that gets found, because its been 2 years of trying (rural area, trying to get a doctor is a bitch).

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Sickening posted:

Still on paid paternity leave but an emergency happened. It appears that a finance person fell for phishing, got compromised, and then the account was used to try and send email to 6k customers. Office 365 saved our bacon and blocked all the external email. It did not block the internal email however and a large chunk of the company admitted to clicking on the link and using credentials. I assume that means there is a bigger chunk who won't admit to it.

You really have a lot of downtime with a newborn, so fine, I volunteer to help since there isn't anyone else . I nuke all version of the email out of all company inboxes with powershell, shockingly simple process these days. I then reset the passwords for 800+ employees in powershell which is also pretty painless. Total time spent? Maybe 20 minutes if you include all the reading and double checking before pressing buttons. The helpdesk will take care of the madness of password changes this morning. I don't envy them.

I am however eating breakfast that the company is paying for. Apparently they are using foodsby to send me and my wife food for the rest of my leave. I am going to gain 10 pounds before this is over.

Now that is how an emergency is handled. Congrats again on the newborn, and more congrats on the incoming weight-gain :P

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Methanar posted:

You'll take my Caesars out of my cold, frost-bitten, dead hands

Agreed.

Hail Caesar!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I feel like I am part of the problem - not because I do it or condone it, but because I've become numb to it. It's so common and I see so many stories about it that it doesn't even phase me. I read a story about Scoble or about what happens to The Iron Rose. My reaction should be anger and indignation, but my real reaction is that "yeah, that sounds about right, people are the worst, I guess I'm glad it was only a scalp massage" which is such a terribly defeatist attitude which improves nothing.

Also, ain't nobody clamoring to grab a handful of stripe, but yeah, do not touch me, ever.

I'd hit that point, but I'm starting to call it out - in ways that make it horribly awkward for the loving creeps. There's a new manager in our accounting department, and he thinks he's funny, but he's just a sexist piece of poo poo. So I call it out. Someones got to, and the women he's harassing aren't going to as he's their boss and its a "mans industry" where we work. gently caress creepy assholes, I'm done with letting it happen to people. Make it blunt, and awkward, and just shout it out.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Crosspost:

It's been a few years, do we want to do another christmas group buy?

I was in last time, I'd be in again (likely for 2, depending on price)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Sickening posted:

Ugh, how can people live on such wages.

I make, effectively, $27/hour Canadian :(
And I'm only low-ish for my position relative to others around me.

I'm still like $10/hour underpaid, but its well over what I made before. Small market though, and lots of IT people who will work for dog-cheap for some reason. Even if they don't know poo poo.

Yay rural/northern Canada.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

n'thing PDQ Inventory. We use it and PDQdeploy, and its made life so much easier.

Easy to use, powerful, just - yeah. Great software.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I couldn't function in the morning without a shower. I'd be falling asleep on anything I leant or sat on.

Amen. Breakfast and a shower. I get up mega-early, because if I'm not AWAKE before I have to head to work, I sure as poo poo don't get there at work.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm outside in the snow literally right now, snowball fight me

I would but its so loving cold the snowballs freeze right out of the air.
Goddamn polar air mass is giving us a right-loving currently. But, its freezing the swamps/lakes for snowmobiling, so I'm good with it (for a few days)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Sickening posted:

If you are applying for these kinds of jobs it would benefit you to pay for a resume writer. The RIO is pretty big.

Any recommendations for a decent service for this? I know there was a goon that used to do it - I used him and wasn't overly happy with the results. Wife and I both need to spit-shine our resumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Sefal posted:

Years back. I was also interested in the goon resume service. I think the story about the goon resume thing was that the original guy was really good but he sold the business and now some other people are doing it and the quality has dropped.

Someone correct me if i'm mistaken.

Huh, wonder if I used that service right after it was sold. Definitely was not impressed. Ah well, time to do some digging.
Thanks all.