Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Does anybody know what software Microsoft or CBT Nuggets use for their training videos? I'm thinking specifically about CBT and their ability to scribble, write and zoom on their presentations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So what's everybody's work load on pre-t-day?

I don't even know why I came in today. Should have "worked from home". At least traffic wasn't bad.

I have to set up a couple of new hires, because someone thought the day after Thanksgiving weekend would be the best day to bring in some users.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

go3 posted:

'Company men' are great because they never see it coming

Company men are enemies of the worker

and I can't wait for them all to be hung from the server racks

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
You know what I don't like?! Exclamation points! They don't motivate me to work faster at all!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Race Realists posted:

i loving hate online skill assessments

so much for that job

I applied for a tech support position when I was first trying to get in to IT. Part of the entry was taking this IQ-like test online. Did it, presumably knocked it out of the park and got a call back.

I was told to prepare to talk to one of the venture capital guys who just took over; he would give me some problems. Not tech problems, but bullshit programmer type problems, like how to figure out which tennis ball weighs less out of a group... I'm sure you are familiar with the type.

Between his thick Indian accent and my general nervousness, I flunked whatever assessment he had. It was so ridiculous, especially for an entry level job. You would think I was apply at the Solutions Dept of Google or some poo poo, but there you go.

ed: This was not a programmer job, this was figuring out why somebody's browser didn't properly display the company's web-based software.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have complaints about my job sometimes, but I'm happy to say all the hiring we've done for IT, including me has been 25% knowledge and 75% "Are they going to fit in?"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I hate writing helpful scripts to automate things, sharing with the group, and realizing everybody else is doing jack poo poo to automate anything

I'm going to be greedy as poo poo from now on

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Drunk Orc posted:

Just officially accepted my first IT position working primary support at an elementary school. I took a small pay cut but the regular schedule and hours coupled with getting the experience I need is invaluable. At least that's what I'm going to tell myself! :yotj:

I wonder who is more of a pain in the rear end, engineers or 1st graders

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
For Christmas, Evil Santa is bringing me a new year filled with idiots using Windows on Macbooks

oh joy

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

Please let me know the best way to replace a HDD with a bootcamp install. I have two mac minis that are depressingly slow and I want to replace with an SSD but I do not want to reinstall anything.

I wish we were doing boot camp, these clowns want a Parallels install so they can diddle around on the Mac side at Starbucks or wherever, but do all their real work on the windows side

I'm not anti-Mac, but gently caress's sake, sometimes its a square peg in a round hole

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

I deal with people who have been drilling oil in the North Sea for 40-50 years and have seen some poo poo come and go, but they are amazed, puzzled and incapacitated when I give them a new computer and the power button isn't in the same location as the last one they had.

Don't worry, I'm sure the cloud will solve that

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Is Google everyone's de facto search engine?

I have a few friends telling me I should switch to be Bing because it crawls Microsoft's stuff better.

I use Bing first for $Amazon, and 95% of the time it's enough. Google as a backup.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I default to Bing, mostly because I don't like Google. But I also use a Windows Phone and actually like Windows 8, so :v:

me too buddy, me too :shepicide:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Army

Do literally anything else
Go busk in Paris or work in a tire shop

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

I hate xkcd, I think it's an unfunny comic for elitists.

Good, I'm not alone

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
ed: not applicable

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

:ironicat:

Or you could take a few minutes out of your busy day to be less of a robot and talk to the person about what a better solution would be. Even with the long list of things that I would probably fire someone over DHCP just doesn't seem to move the needle for me.

No, whenever someone has a different approach to an issue, I immediately think of ways to terminate them

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Colonial Air Force posted:

Are you my former boss' boss? Because that's exactly what happened.

I was being sarcastic. "You better think outside the box! No, not that box, your box! My box is fine!"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
He's persona non grata in this thread, which makes this a super good thread

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there any value to going to these vendor sponsored free happy hour things? Is it going to be a time-share situation, where there is no escape? Or is this just a ploy to get more contact info?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anybody have any idea why the HDMI output on a laptop would stop working when viewing certain websites? Drivers have been updated, but issue persists.

Also, gently caress you Salesforce

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

That is hilarious, do the sites have any DRM content?

I'm trying to look through the source code; I'm no web developer, but it looks so loving bad... it starts to have visual anomalies along the search bar, so that's where I'm starting

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Having seen what contractors get paid versus what regular employees get paid per day, I'd say they don't give a poo poo

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

I've never done it, but from what I understand it's effectively the same but you also have to file twice - several forms for your S-corp and a different form for yourself (a 1040, not 1099)

In any case I'm 99% sure if you go through the trouble to own an S-corp you've also employed a tax preparer and financial guy to handle the details at tax time.

Edit: I wonder if people are moving to S-corps because of the preference of POs and SoWs over just giving them a tax ID number / SSN and calling it a day? I've been out of the loop on this stuff for a while, I'm strictly W2 now.

Hold on; you've never done it, but you have all these criticisms?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just watched a network contractor double click a hyperlink, not press tab to get to the next textbox, etc. It's like watching my mom use a computer.

I'm starting to realize that the only thing holding me back from getting paid way more is actually boning up and getting those goddamn certs

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

moonsour posted:

I am literally my own personal Hitler right now. I mean it would still be twice what I've EVER made but goddamn. Shoving my head into the oven over here...

That HR dude just made himself a nice little spot bonus on your dime

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I, too, hold strong beliefs that IT people should be allowed to reek and look gross

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
"But in my heart I know I am struggling hard against my corporate masters," he says, as he creates a distribution list for the executive tennis club

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Indubitably

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sickening said he wouldn't hire a dirty, smelly hippy and somehow triggered the Revolution

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
On the positive side, when the filers all fail you can channel Edward G. Robinson

"Where is your messiah now?"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've started skipping lunch and started going for long walks. I always just get sleepy as hell after lunch, and my wife is going to force feed me when I get home, whether I'm hungry or not.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you don't know anything about networking, I'm not sure you can cram CCNA knowledge in your brain in a short amount of time

Unless this is a nepotism offer, in which case, go for it

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Danith posted:

I talked to the director and he agrees that I need a raise and is going to talk to the CTO this week about it. He also says I need to pick a new title. What's a good title for someone that does a bit of everything? I will be watching our scheduler software, scheduling new jobs, misc production stuff like submitting reports and running eligibility process, help desk and AIX admin with some oracle things included...

Current my title is Production Support. Pretty sure the title thing is because for HR, title = pay.. He said he doesn't care what it is though so maybe I should just say CSO or something :)

What's your bosses title? Director of IT Support? I would say something that doesn't sound like it over his position imo

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Do any of you belong to a professional organization that you would recommend to other IT people?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sounds like a cream dream

My boss doesn't even drink

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I'm wondering if the ability to script is pretty common among colleagues at other places.

I was pretty amazed to find out how few people at the help desk I started at knew anything about scripting. They've been there for years.

Then again, they've been in the help desk for years, so it probably makes sense.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Has anybody done one of the online degree programs? I'm looking at Oregon State University, and they have a pretty interesting CS major for people who already have a degree in something else.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
What's their BS in Software Development like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Austin is pretty cool but, in part because of that, it's one of the fastest-growing cities in the United States (primarily younger people). I would definitely not mind living there (coming from Dallas).

You better like free-range everything, vegan tacos, live music and patio bars.

And Californians