Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I got a phone call from a recruiter wanting to set up an interview for a Sr. Virtualization Admin.

I don't think I'm quite qualified for that position but I guess that's the recruiter's job to make that decision.

I'm not holding my breath but it'd be hell of a neat way to get off of helpdesk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Not to break your stride, but just because the recruiter may like you doesn't mean you get the job - there's still the rounds of interviews. If you're on helpdesk now, just being realistic, you're not going to catapult to a senior admin role.

Yeah, I totally agree. I'm enjoying the ego boost but I don't realistically expect to get this job.

It's like a slightly more realistic lottery fantasy. "Sorry boss, I gotta put in my two weeks because I got offered a job that pays more than YOUR boss makes. I'll try to close out all my tickets ASAP."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Yeah I deserve this whole title; just saying.

I almost said "At least all the words in your custom title are spelled correctly," and then I realized there's supposed to be a 'Z' in virtualized.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh excuse me, America is bad at english :colbert:

When England invents a hot new technology, they can decide how to spell it.

Someone bought me my title and I've grown to like the grammar error.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Architect
Engineer
Administrator
Analyst (this role can be a more senior position but is tainted by all the entry level analyst positions)
Technician

Just remember the easy acronym: AAEAA(trcbamspbitbatelap)T

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

psydude posted:

I love it when HR people obviously write job descriptions:

"Manages core network protocols such as OSPF, BGP, MPLS, DHCP, ARP, and ICMP"

That's good because I have 20 years of experience with ICMP.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SaltLick posted:

After a year of waiting and political bullshit within the upper management I might be finally getting the server position they have wanted me to fill. Hopefully it all works out. Being liked can really take you far within an organization. Dress yourselves, be sociable, and smell nice people.

I have bad news about this server position:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
So... Maybe I should drive my purple Smart Car to a luxury car rental service before an interview.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I took the train to the interview that got me hired.

A train is a pretty expensive vehicle. How much do you think a 4,200hp four-axle passenger diesel locomotive costs? I think I'm seeing a pattern.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Digging back a few pages, but depending on the structure of a buyout, there are plenty of ways to screw over the valuation of employee stock - loading up on preferred debt is the most typical one, but if you're being purchased by a financial buyer the book of tricks runs deep. Employee common stock tends to be far down on the waterfall when cash events happen, make sure she has a solid understanding of any equity compensation.

I'm no where near talented enough to be in a position where this would matter to me, but hypothetically, if I was offered that kind of deal, how would I figure out how to protect my financial stake? Is there a name for the kind of lawyer or accountant that specializes in that?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

three posted:

Unrelated to the current topic, but I found out I'm having a baby girl, and it makes me really sad to know that there's no way I'd encourage her to go into IT due to the misogynistic weirdos it attracts.

:smith:

Congratulations!

Things get better quickly sometimes. There'll be a tipping point where well adjusted female IT workers are worth more than the male weirdos and companies will start clearing house.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just wear a nice shirt and tie.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CloFan posted:

Are you Jeff? Why doesn't Jeff have anywhere he'd rather be?

Congrats on the launch!

There are only three team members that don't have anywhere they'd rather be, and one is a dog.

WHAT ARE YOU HIDING?

Edit: Gymchat
I'm going to start trying to hit the gym three times a week now. I sit in a chair most of my day, I don't want to be the guy that throws his back out while tying his shoe.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 20, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The metrics used were: first call resolution

I wish that the ticketing software used at my company was good enough to figure out how many tickets had been submitted prior to me finally fixing an issue. Any metric that can't account for the following scenario is worthless:
8:00 AM User calls helpdesk for account lockout. Account unlocked. (Ticket time 3 minutes)
8:11 AM User calls helpdesk for account lockout. Account unlocked. (Ticket time 3 minutes)
8:43 AM User calls helpdesk for account lockout. Account unlocked. (Ticket time 3 minutes)
9:27 AM User calls helpdesk for account lockout. User says they've been locked out multiple times. Account unlocked. (Ticket time 3 minutes)
1:10 PM User calls helpdesk for account lockout. User says they've been locked out multiple times. Account unlocked. (Ticket time 3 minutes)
2:10 PM User calls helpdesk for account lockout. User says they've been locked out multiple times. Account unlocked. (Ticket time 3 minutes)
3:10 PM User calls helpdesk for account lockout. User says they've been locked out multiple times. Pulled security logs from domain controller. Identified source of lockout. Logged out Remote Desktop connection that's apparently using expired credentials. (Ticket time 45 minutes)

If you're only measuring on ticket time, the morning shift guys look like superstars and the tech who came in at 3 looks like an idiot for taking 45 minutes to unlock an account, despite the fact that she actually fixed the problem and the user is actually able to get some work done now.

I think this'd be a good scenario to look at when choosing ticketing software as well. If you can't use the software to identify a pattern like this, you need better software.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It really only gets used in the sense of "Hit them in the pocketbook," I don't think I've ever heard someone say something like "Let me see if I saved the receipt in my pocketbook"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got a coworker who is interested in doing some side work doing home PC repair. I recall there was a website that people were recommending for that kind of thing but I can't remember what it was.

Anyone remember or know good places to get started on that kind of thing?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Venusy posted:

Geekatoo might be the site you were thinking of.

I'm almost certain you're right. Thanks!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wonder how long it'll be before movies and sitcoms become incomprehensible to average Americans.

:confused:
"Why is he complaining about the Monday to Friday nine-to-five? That's the best shift. Maybe he's taking classes or something."
"Oh, he got a membership in the Jelly of the Month Club! That's so cool, last year I got one movie pass for Christmas but it expired before I got to use it. Janet got fired as a Christmas bonus."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I'm not sure what to think about this. There's apparently a demand for this product.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think a home lab environment is a good idea. I haven't had a :yotj: yet, but in phone interviews I feel like I've gotten a positive response when I mention that I have a lab at home. It really helps sell the idea that you genuinely think that IT is fun, interesting and cool.

Edit:

If you have a lab, you can set it up so that it doesn't perform timekeeping when turned off. Yeah, your dates are never going to be correct but there are certain advantages to having your clocks only tick forward when the lab is booted up.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Woo! :yotj:

The contract doesn't start until November so I'm not holding my breath but it looks like I'll be bumping up my pay by about 40%

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN posted:

How is that legal?!

We have the FREEDOM to work unlimited hours at a fixed salary.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

awesomebrah posted:

:yotj: I got my first long term IT job :yotj:

Starting Monday I am going to be doing desktop support for a hospital for at least 2 months (Will most likely be extended.). Any tips on how not to embarrass my self? Also how long before my excitement is replaced with bitterness and self-loathing?

Do you want technical tips or people tips?

On the technical side, it depends on the technology you're working with and I can't comment on anything Hospital specific. Powershell is a neat tool if you're in a windows environment and it won't stop being useful.

On the people side of things, here's an easy tip: If you tend to sound too formal in your written correspondence, throw in a smiley face. There's a huge difference between:

quote:

Frank,
Your Email is now configured.
Please let me know if you need additional assistance,

Thanks,
John

quote:

Frank,
Your Email is now configured.
Please let me know if you need additional assistance :)

Thanks,
John

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Oh, if this is your first desk job and you're making a little more money, this is a great time to start going to the gym. Sitting all day is awful for your back.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Oh!
This probably applies to all sorts of jobs, but don't let it go to your head. IT workers get paid well and depending on where you work, you'll be better paid than a lot of the people at your company. If you're at a hospital you might not make as much as the doctors, but you'll make more than the cooks in the kitchen and the people who clean linens (and things).

Hospitals have been around for a lot longer than computers. The only reason you're there is to make life easier for other people. You're not better than anyone else in the building so treat everyone with respect, especially the people with lovely jobs. In short: "Be nice to people on the way up because you'll meet the same people on the way down"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone remember the link to the how-to video for removing a heatsink from a computer that eventually devolves to him using a clawhammer to pry it off?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Was it done by the same guy who would "adjust" capacitors by stabbing a screwdriver through them?

e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9xeG-cmcUs

That's the one!

I ended up rewatching the how-to basic video though. That one is always fun.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

A fat lady at my office sits on a ball all day with her feet on one of those pedal things. I never see her pedal. Ever.

I think it'd be useful to have a visual cue to remind you to pedal. Maybe a program that dims the monitor if you slow down too much. It's easy to get focused on a task and stop pedaling.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

psydude posted:

Okay so apparently my grad program is requiring me to take another math course in addition to the calculus that I took in undergrad before I can actually begin taking the master's level courses. Looks like I'm going to be taking freshman statistics at community college this spring.

I don't know what's available in your area but I'd check if any of the local CC's offer 100% online classes. If you just need the credit, do a straightforward class online, just do all the work, turn it in and get credits at the end.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

psydude posted:

I'll check, but it's $450 for the class at the CC so I figure I'm going to be hard pressed to beat that anywhere else

I must be spoiled. Arizona can be a lovely state but we have some quality CC at an affordable price: http://www.riosalado.edu/cashier/Pages/TuitionCalculator.aspx

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I am not a lawyer but unless it's in the employee handbook that pay increases are guaranteed then I doubt you'll see that money. It depends on the state but there's an awful lot of lovely things they can do without actually breaking any laws.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Hughmoris posted:

Is it outlandish for me to request this access? Can I really screw up that much with read-only access in a testing environment? We had a rep from the software vendor here for a few days and the reports he was able to pull from our database were full of useful information. I'd love to be able to do that.

Sounds like an office politics thing. Either you're being perceived as being too big for your britches or you're threatening someone.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RadicalR posted:

Hopefully, this is the correct thread. What resources would you guys recommend for learning Powershell 4.0?

Are you totally new to powershell or just want to learn what's new in 4?

Assuming you're new:

Here's the powershell thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440
Here's the book you want: http://amzn.com/1617291080

Powershell has a very good built in help system. Get-Help is your new best friend.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone have much experience with corporate policy for company issued phones?

I'm hearing some whispers about possibly monitoring text messages and call histories and it sounds like :can:

I'm just thinking about all the information you could find that would immediately make you regret searching. What if an employee calls or texts:
Suicide Hotline
Union
Alcoholics Anonymous
A doctor specializing in something that would be scandalous like HIV or abortions
LBGT groups
A lawyer

I'm super glad I use my company phone for work only.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

abigserve posted:

Expect is basically magic for networks, right down to the blood pentagrams and sacrificed goats.

I've found that a wide range electronics tend to respond well to blood sacrifice, that's why they put all sorts of sharp snags on rails and edges.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I have a few coworkers who swear by these guys: http://amzn.com/B00HVBPRUO

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Golbez posted:

But, I've been looking since May, which in itself has its own depression, making me wonder if I'm even all that good and maybe my earlier jobs are stupid flukes.

I think it's a very bad idea to internally connect the quality of your work to your pay.

2009-2011 was a rough period and I'm guessing that anyone who got a job at that time is going to be underpaid, that doesn't mean you're less valuable.

If you haven't updated your resume since 2010 you might want to consider paying someone to jazz it up.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
From my understanding of the security clearance process, there's only one real question: Are you susceptible to blackmail or bribery?

Having a manageable amount of debt isn't a big deal, but if you reach a point where they think you'll be under enough stress to do something dumb to get money, that's a risk.
Being gay isn't a big deal, being secretly gay might be a problem if they think you'd do something dumb to keep it secret.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You can't blackmail someone who isn't ashamed of their perversion.

My favorite anecdote when it comes to espionage is Robert Hanssen's insistence on being paid in diamonds.

It seems to me that unless you already have a bunch of contacts in the diamond business it'd be really obvious.

Why not gold, or wads of cash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

adorai posted:

Actually the new hotness is to call employees "Human Capital".

I feel like that's the worst. Capital implies ownership. When I think of Human Capital I think of slaves and indentured servants.