Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I cannot be trusted with an iron. I will just do my best with the dryer and flannel shirts until i have to dress nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Do you have that article handy by chance?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
fort is worth

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Matt Zerella posted:

Welp, nailed the phone interview and I have an in-person on Friday morning. Nerrrrvous.

:woop:

you got this

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Kashuno posted:

I am writing a god drat essay today about printer cost and why we need to get rid of most of our printers. The numbers are just sad.

youre doing gods work there friend

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Every job ive had has started benefits day 1 except my current one which has a 60-day waiting period. The benefits of government work in a state that hates the government.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
P1K panic is real

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
let it burn

i am on hold with apple trying to get a pallet of computers registered, lot of time to shitpost right now

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
wow, how could we have known that page 1000 wasnt going to bring the literal apocalypse?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
what is dead may never die

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I had to disable cloud to butt because of this thread.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Fun day to find out that our backup generator isn't switching on when power goes out.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Internet Explorer posted:

That is loving hilarious. *fart!*

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Good morning folks, h̨̡̤̜͍̞̳̼͚̟̙̗̻̗̭̲͓̳̫̤͠͠ͅó̡̬͓̮͍̺̩̺̘̪͡͠w̨̜̭̖̲͙̞̕̕ͅ ̛͍͕̖̖̥͖̬̮̩̯̼̘̻́i͏̡̨͚͇͓̞̹s̫̲̹̪͔̙̱͕͎̀̕ ̸͓̪̟̬̘̕ĺ̢̨͓͎̪͓͈͓̝̖̗̻͈̰̘̼̞͚̹͞͝ͅi̧̠͔͚͢͝͠ͅf̴̸̨̤͕̬̫͍͎̖̪̯͔̜̞͟e̢̼͔̣̯͎̗͕̞̩̩̫͓̖̰̘͟ͅ ̶̢̡̳̫͖̦͕͙̥̮̙͙͚̟ͅì̡̧̙͇͈̳̭̜͎̺̤̘͈̖͓̫͖͓͡ͅn̶̡̛̦̤̥͍͙̞͍̮͇͎͍̼͜ ̡̨̕҉̗̦̲̬͠p̢̞̯̣͕̲̹̖̯̺̱͖͚̭̕͜͡r̴̶̜̬̹̰͕̩̖̩̩̪̖̤̤͞o̴̝̼̮͕̠̥̯̘͓̠̟̼̞͞͠͝f͘͘҉̛͙̝̟̤̲͚̙̘̖͚̼͖̱̲͠e̡̧̼̗̟̭̺̻̘̮͓̹̤͎s̡͡͏̴̛̹̗̥̝̯̙͉͙͓̪ͅͅs̷̼̬͍̮̯̻͇͉̮̝͚̺͝í́҉̳̞̠̘͕̪̰̩o̶̲̘̻̱̕ņ̴͔̠͖̲̀͘͜a͏̸̖̯̺͓̟̤͔̲ĺ̠͉̯̫͖̣̝̙̲͎̘̣̯̜̯̬̼̟̀ ̤͎̫͎̝͎̜͈͈͈̭̗͖̣̼̰̣͓͜ͅI̢̛͔̹̠͖̻͇͕͘͝T̵̨̗̲̭͚̺̠͕͢͞ ̵͞͏̘̣͍̯̤̬͠ḻ̶̢͔̳̯̲͚̼͚̺͔̲̜̲́͢ͅa̧͈̻͈͓̣̬͈͇̱͇̬͠n̛҉̵͈͙̯̬̰̦͝͞d̸̡̜̹̥̲͙̤̹̤̀̕͡?̵̭̗̫̟͝ ̸̤̬̫̳̱͉̻͎̠̕ͅ ̴̢̢͕͎̭̯̯̪̞̣́͞C̺͔̠͙̙̩̱͚͈̗̺̀͢͡ṯ̹͍̮͇̺͢͟͞h̵̰̻̟̻̙̤͚̩̹͈̣u̧͎̜͍͙͈̠͔̹̯͇̝̕͠͞ĺ̵̡̢͙͍͖̮̜͓̠̗̞̠̠̬̮̩͡h̵̖̼͇̳͟͡ư̡̢̼̠̺͔͇̪̟͎̪͇͎͚̰̝̕͟ ̘̲̗̫̗̖̮͚̻̺̦͖̼̬̗̟̺͙̦͢͠f̸͇̬͇̗̙̳̟̱̜̺̦̲͈̫̜͖̗͜͟ͅh̴̨̡̺̘͓͇̮̯̠̩̀͘t̡̫̤͓̩̞͟a̸̛͜͏̧̗̪̟̟̪̗͇͈̪̻͍̫̻̠̟͖̻̠ͅg̯͔̞̞̺̰͇̗̭̠̯̝̣̯͔͍͡͡ͅn̴͉̮̱̱͈̬̻͈̖͔͘͘

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Vargatron posted:

Last year we had 39 "outage level events" on campus. As of today, we have had 19.

Just another fun day at the weekly IT meeting.

our monthly backup generator test showed us that our generator wasn't switching from city power to the backup, to our data center. the folks who fixed it had to test it a few times, we lost two power supplies, three UPS, and just about every box we had ended up bouncing without warning. it was a fun day.

also the heating went out, so we wer all very cold

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Had a fun interaction with a department head yesterday. I told her that I am the new "Mac Guy"(My bosses have all but required that I put it in my email signature so they won't accidentally be asked to do something with one). Her first response was, "Great, can you program an app?"

lmao

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I can whip up a hello world lickity split ma'am!

Also please tell me that there is something more professional than "mac guy" in your signature.

I am officially the audio visual technician. but titles are pretty meaningless around here.

I let her know that I absolutely can create an app, then I asked how much money she had, as I would need all of it.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Yesterday was slow, so me and another tech went and explored the tunnel system below the university. We are planning a large paintball tournament down there over summer.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Great opportunity to glimpse into what it would have been like to be single at 30.

:coffeepal:

:smith:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Out of curiosity, what were your requirements, and I guess what city/area is the job in?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
yeah that seems reasonable.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
It takes me 15 minutes to get to work if I walk, 2 minute drive. I put gas in my car at the end of January, and I have a half tank still. Its a much bigger deal than I would have ever thought before having this small of a commute.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh god an external email came in and the dude has this in his signature

10 bucks says he lost a bunch of money in the bitcoin crash.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Sickening posted:

If I turned avatars off I would hardly remember other posters.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

I want a high res version of this, so I can make it the default wallpaper for all admin accounts at work.3

e: wow, i didnt even realise it was more than a picture, lmao

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 23, 2018

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We work in IT, so someone is going to say 42 and think it's fresh and witty. I work with at least 2 people who would find that hilarious.

Good to know its not just my small office. 8 IT people doing all the IT things, and one guy loves 42, and dead baby jokes, and is just bad in every way

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
We had some issues with CDW when we were shopping around. The rep that started working with us basically signed us up without approval so suddenly Dell wouldn't let us buy things anymore. He got fired and now we're good with CDW

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
we operate only on carrier pigeons, our turn around time is in the low single digits

of weeks

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
It puts the "lotion" on its "skin"

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

jaegerx posted:

Who used jamf here? I got questions

yee

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Nerdrock posted:

Our Apple "Mobility Engineer" had mentioned this to us a while ago.

Long story short : it will soon (10.14? 10.15?) no longer be possible to write an OS to a hard drive via a source other than apple's servers. it'll be write protected blah blah blah. you'll still (probably) be able to run configuration scripts via deploystudio, or maybe use packages or MDM profiles to poo poo down configs to systems, but they're really trying to push an 'out of box experience' kind of like how iOS devices live. It's going to be hell. Here's hoping they backpedal these thoughts, but they infamously don't give a flying poo poo about large orgs.

I am not looking forward to it, and I am nearly certain its going to happen. Apple does whatever the gently caress they want.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
if hell exists, its nothing but progress bars

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Had a bunch of users get tricked by some popup or redirect into calling some 'microsoft' or 'facebook' number and giving access to their computer. its a rough week.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
My boss is asking me to find a platform for live event streaming. Anyone have any recommendations for what might work for a small university that is only going to stream 15-20 times a year to a pretty small audience.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

LochNessMonster posted:

Vimeo is like 70 bucks a month.

We use Ooyala but you pay out your rear end for it.

Some background info, we have used DaCast for like 5 years, now we installed a bunch of Extron gear for streaming elsewhere and DaCast isn't supported in Extron Land.

so gently caress

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

SlowBloke posted:

We just dump the livestreaming events onto youtube live and it works, given the low volumes i would give it a shot in a testing enviroment(book the room you want to cast and have some people log in remotely from the campus) and see if it fits the bill. Just remember to set the livestreams as link-only.

We want it embedded on the university page, which requires ads to be enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
whats the worst that can happen