Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Like I said they have me do it because I can for example get a dozen biometric timeclocks for $40 each on eBay and set them up myself, or they can put in a PO for them where they pay $3000 each, direct from the company. That actually happened, several times. That's why not having a company credit card sucks for them.
Does eBay prohibit using a company credit card or something?

Using your own credit to by company equipment is beyond stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

The company just doesn't have company credit cards, at least they do not exist in our subsidiary. They only do purchase orders or pay vendors, so they had to set me up as a vendor.
How does a fortune 500 not have P cards? That doesn't make sense at all. Even small businesses get cards because it makes tracking expenses easy.

I want to know the name, but don't want to know (do not post it). Did someone from your company (your boss) tell you this? Or do you know for sure they do not have company cards? Hell I would bet your department secretary has one to buy food and office supplies.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Welp, sounds like I'm undervaluing myself. I'm gonna have to figure out what to do today. Try to strongarm this place into another raise, go back to my first plan of lowering myself to 20/hr here and test the waters at the new place, or I could keep pushing the newer place for a better offer, or just say gently caress it and keep applying at more places? I mostly just don't have time to apply/interview because I'm swamped.
You work for idiots and people taking advantage of you if everything you say is true. Trying to stay there is a dumb decision.

When you were in the military how would you have reacted if they asked you to buy your own bullets that they refund later?

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I guess you were never in the military...
True. Maybe not the best comparison because of the whole uniform thing, but still.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I enjoyed this post and couldn't think of where to share - http://attackwithnumbers.com/the-laws-of-lovely-dashboard

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

That is really petty of them, but just let it go. Be Peter from Office Space for 2 weeks and enjoy your new life.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

But in that case I'm the one on the other end of the issue. I'm the "user." I choose the route that gets me the fastest resolution, and I'd think everybody would want the fastest resolution.
It's weird to understand or believe - I know I struggled with it myself. Same for thinking everyone would want to least expensive product. The service part of it means a lot more to people than how quickly or cheaply things are done.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Funny/True story: I just searched for "OneGet" in twitter and the first tweet was a pic of a giant black cock. Of course I'm at work.

Thanks to my years of experience in keyboard commands for closing windows with a swiftness I had that poo poo closed in .02 seconds.

I'm at my desk laughing my rear end off.

:ninja:
Hahahaha.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Probably an executive that doesn't understand how to manage people - too common in IT from my experience.
Calling people ungrateful is so loving dumb I don't know how I would react to that. It's not a "company" dinner if the company is not paying the bill.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Phone calls is the only way I would give or accept a reference. Is a 5-10 minute phone call really that big of a deal when you are trying to help a friend/former coworker out? Or when trying to hire a good person (hopefully they stay for more than 5 minutes).

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

We had 4 but then it became apparent it broke down like this. (using alias names)

(twilight) Citrix, Assist director, Secondary response for <three letter title> response, Best effort AD/FS
(Celestia) Active Directory, power-shell for windows, Secondary L1 support on physical HW and Printers
(trixie) Made things seem harder than they were, eventually let go because I handled all his efforts without any hiccups; Now I basically do Net/Stor/Vmware as my primary
(me) - VMware/Storage, secondary Network at the datacenter TShoot, Best effort Citrix/Exchange/AD/Lync

Now it's Luna and Twilight....
Do you deploy all changes during the day? or just never sleep? I don't know how you would support all the infrastructure for 20,000 people with only 2 of you. You traveling is as high or higher risk to business continuity than your executive team which seems like bullshit tbh.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

evol262 posted:

This actually sounds like a fun hybrid team if you get a couple more people just so you can take PTO. It's nice to be in a place where you get to touch a lot of stuff. Still a tiny team for 5k.
Yeah exactly. I would be pissed if I was the only one around for that kind of user base because taking any personal time could have major business impact. Its irresponsible and why I wondered how changes work.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yeah 3-4 is pretty much what we do. It is a lot to ask of people on the team to participate, but we hire a lot better people because of it. If they are out of state we obviously handle differently, but local people shouldn't really be bothered with spending a single work days effort to get hired into a full-time position - including the travel time. It probably depends on the size of the organization, but we typically receive 100+ resumes for the positions we hire.

Recruiter (phone)
Hiring Manager (phone)
Team/Technical
Hiring Manager w/ Peer and/or Hiring Manager's Boss

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

I'm working as a catch-all post-production support guy. We maintain all the edits, media servers, A/V equipment, client PCs and keep the network going. I work 60 hours a week and get paid less than $40k a year. How badly am I being screwed?
About a 6/10 on the DAF scale for the pay, but the >40 hours a week lowers you to a 4.5/10 - so it could be a lot worse.

What do you mean by edits? Do actually do the video editing yourself? Where in the country do you work?

In general, that is not horrible for client support type roles, but not great either.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

adorai posted:

I think it's more about putting the ops guys and the developers on the same team so that there is less finger pointing. A big part of that is to hire ops guys with some programming experience, and giving additional rights to production to the actual developers. I am not sure you expect the guy writing the iphone app to have in depth knowledge of MTU or VLANs or load balancing hashing algorithms.
For us it's the finger pointing thing.

Plus having us work for the same leaders (like 5 levels to the SVPs) makes us not play the escalation game all the loving time.
It's broken. Let's fix it. Let's not spend >1 hour sending emails that climb the chain until someone says "just do it ffs".

We as a former development only team also play a much bigger part is understanding how poo poo works and looking at monitoring/diagnostics/etc.
Regardless of how much we wanted to do this, at the end of the day funding came from new stuff, not supporting old things so we favored it too heavily imo.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

NZAmoeba posted:

Not all workplaces are poo poo guys, some of us have good jobs!
Yeah my response about finger pointing isn't an indication of a poo poo job. It just eliminated it from happening.

I don't think I studied harder. I just had a good base to start my career so I was able to be picky about who I worked for and what I did. Mostly has worked out very well.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I don't have a LinkedIn pic because I'm fat and my network is full of not-fat people so I can't let them in on my secret!

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

My team of 10 builds millions of dollars worth of software each year. Expecting I get a cut is hilarious to me.

The 0-4 is very standard in almost all careers. If you got more without a promotion, even if say from tech I to tech II, then you were an exception. It happens, it's happened to me, but don't expect that. It doesn't mean you are undervalued if they don't do that either.

Edit: they might also give larger than standard to bring you within the appropriate range for the title too. We had a restructure that caused some to be outside the new range and they adjusted people up.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Hopefully you are working on it with methods other than medication (a shrink) as well.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Just assign people to take the emails, enter them in an spreadsheet, then email that to a distro. It’s a good idea trust me.

(I couldn’t find the sarcasm with gun to head smiley in the SA app)

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Tetramin posted:

Is having healthcare and 401k taken out pretax uncommon? Every job I’ve had took benefits pretax..

E: unless pre-taxed means the opposite of what I think.
Not uncommon at all and usually the only after-tax healthcare premium I’ve seen is when you elect to get your own instead of participating in the company plan.

Edit: On paper the job offer seems way better in almost every way beyond not working with someone you know you like. That’s how every job is pretty much so not worth sticking it out unless you know the other place is full of jerks.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Stop working for lovely bosses (I know that is not always possible).
We have no policy about giving people time back but I’ve never worked for someone that was such a huge rear end in a top hat that they wanted people coming in at normal hours, or at all, after doing midnight maintenance.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I’m in a development group but my bosses approach I think would work for other IT stuff and I love it.

He writes down a couple fairly vague sentences like “I want a thing that does <random task> and I want it to be fast” and let’s them ask questions or talk. So many people in tech jump immediately to solution. Some way of finding out if they do the 5 Ws at all. There are a surprising number of people, even managers we interviewed, that don’t even ask questions about what “thing” is or why we need “thing”. N’thing the personality stuff about how they handle dumb questions. I worked helpdesk when I started and people almost always came directly to me for help because I wouldn’t treat them like idiots.

stuxracer fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 28, 2019

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I think most people just deal with defending against containers like every other word published in CTO magazine or whatever that hearing it sets them off. Like I have no issue with “cloud” but every time someone asks why we aren’t doing it I twitch a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

It seems like the guy probably doesn’t want you to work for him. Saying that is hard because it could impact his current business.