Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I have been informed that some people are wondering if we are taking a longer-than-average break following the conclusion of series 1, which says to me that some people severely underestimate Occ's masochism. Christmas special writeups are planned to go tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It'll be interesting to see what he thinks of the Christmas specials. It reminds me of something someone wrote about Dickens (I think it might have been John Irving, actually) in which people are entirely forgiving of the schmaltz and cliches in A Christmas Carol but for some reason seem to condemn him for it in his other work. Doctor Who is the reverse: all of the flaws that make the show charming for its normal audience seem somehow infuriating when they're wrapped in a Christmas ribbon.

Both of this thread's reviewers are going to hate David Tennant's portrayal the most of the revival Doctors; this is virtually a guarantee.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I have been informed that some people are wondering if we are taking a longer-than-average break following the conclusion of series 1, which says to me that some people severely underestimate Occ's masochism. Christmas special writeups are planned to go tonight.

This makes me happy in a strange, sadistic way.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Basebf555 posted:

I suppose its an apples to oranges comparison then. Dr. Who has never been more popular in the U.S. than it is today, and it still doesn't have half the mainstream pop culture presence that shows like 24 and Lost did in their day. Most people here regard 24 as the show that really popularized serialized television, it was the first show in a very long time that was successful at it.

Doctor Who casting information is front page news on national newspapers.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

In case people who were fans of my LMS thread-all like, two of you- were wondering, yeah I do plan on doing season in review write-ups, just I dunno when, it might be whenever oxx and I take an extended break ( if we keep on pace it'll be probably whenever we finish season 4, which seems like both a natural break point and timed to be roughly around the holidays, which I'll be very busy with my LMS thread and the TVIV yearly poll)

Anyways yeah ~thread plans~

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Doctor Who casting information is front page news on national newspapers.

Wow I think that would probably piss me off if I saw that. I don't remember a show ever getting so big in the U.S. that casting rumors actually made the front page, keep that poo poo to the entertainment section.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

In case people who were fans of my LMS thread-all like, two of you- were wondering, yeah I do plan on doing season in review write-ups, just I dunno when, it might be whenever oxx and I take an extended break ( if we keep on pace it'll be probably whenever we finish season 4, which seems like both a natural break point and timed to be roughly around the holidays, which I'll be very busy with my LMS thread and the TVIV yearly poll)

Anyways yeah ~thread plans~

Might as well do the specials after season 4 before you break. If you're doing this through Netflix, for some reason they're classified as their own individual units instead of being part of the main run, but after those is when the showrunner and Doctor both change, so it's a good stopping point.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bicyclops posted:

Might as well do the specials after season 4 before you break. If you're doing this through Netflix, for some reason they're classified as their own individual units instead of being part of the main run, but after those is when the showrunner and Doctor both change, so it's a good stopping point.

Cool thanks yeah, that sounds like the plan

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Bicyclops posted:

This is actually no longer true. The specials in question are included in Season 4 on Netflix.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Go RV! posted:

This is actually no longer true. The specials in question are included in Season 4 on Netflix.

Do they have Planet of the Dead, or is that one still mysteriously excluded?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

computer parts posted:

Do they have Planet of the Dead, or is that one still mysteriously excluded?

It's still missing for reasons unknown.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoctorWhat posted:

It's still missing for reasons unknown.

Humanitarian efforts

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Wow I think that would probably piss me off if I saw that. I don't remember a show ever getting so big in the U.S. that casting rumors actually made the front page, keep that poo poo to the entertainment section.

There's also a notable cultural difference. Entertainment news, sports news, and soft focus lifestyle stuff tend to wind up on the front of UK tabloids as a support story or flash pretty regularly.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Actually, Planet of the Dead, season 5's Christmas special, and the last two Matt Smith specials are on Netflix now, all in their proper seasons. For better or worse, the whole of nuWho is on Netflix.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh, sorry, my bad. Glad they fixed it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, sorry, my bad. Glad they fixed it.

It's all good; it was a very recent thing, last I could tell.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

"Bad Wolf" showing up throughout the season leading to this is one of the dumbest things in the show in my opinion. It has no purpose whatsoever and isn't a remotely interesting secret or hidden thing for viewers to catch. Did someone actually think it was clever?

Oh, I remember the speculation over this thing. I remembering speculating the hell out of it. I was ravenous for all of those little teasing clues, trying to connect them all up into something remotely coherent. Honestly, the very last thing I expected it to be was a boring closed timelike loop which makes no sense even in the context of omnipotent godlike spacetime powers and closed timelike loops. I was also expecting the deep booming teaser voice "THEY SURVIVED THROUGH ME" to be the Face of Boe, who was clearly (to my eyes) an overgrown Dalek secretly manipulating all events from behind the scenes. So, yeah, this was the episode where I stopped trying to predict Doctor Who.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Bad Wolf thing is pretty silly because "Bad Wolf" is meaningless of itself, so the seeding it throughout the season thing is a false clue that doesn't actually lead anywhere. Also it's pretty silly because "one character suddenly becomes a god and wishes all the baddies out of existence" is an extremely hokey way to do justice to your stakes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Some questions about doctor who that I hope aren't spoiler filled answers, if they are just say "spoiler" and don't answer them

1) at what point in creating season one did Davies know eccleston wasn't coming back as the doctor, and why didn't eccleston come back? Because that's my assumption for why eccleston is a one season doctor- it wasn't planned like that right?

2) has Davies ever said how the ending to parting of the ways would've changed if eccleston stayed on?

3) how was tennant cast as the tenth doctor, and how late was he cast in the production of season one?

4) at what point was Davies made aware that torch wood was gonna be a spinoff starring jack harkness? Is that why jack is the only person revived at the end of the season finale?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Toxxupation posted:

Some questions about doctor who that I hope aren't spoiler filled answers, if they are just say "spoiler" and don't answer them

1) at what point in creating season one did Davies know eccleston wasn't coming back as the doctor, and why didn't eccleston come back? Because that's my assumption for why eccleston is a one season doctor- it wasn't planned like that right?

It wasn't planned at first, I think Eccleston left mostly because of some backstage drama that soured him on the whole experience.

quote:

4) at what point was Davies made aware that torch wood was gonna be a spinoff starring jack harkness? Is that why jack is the only person revived at the end of the season finale?

Torchwood was the working name for Doctor Who (it's an anagram of the latter), I'm pretty sure he planned it to be a spinoff after Doctor Who turned out to be so successful.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

2) has Davies ever said how the ending to parting of the ways would've changed if eccleston stayed on?

3) how was tennant cast as the tenth doctor, and how late was he cast in the production of season one?

1) We don't know. There was doubt as to whether the show itself would last more than one season.

2) No.

3) He was a big Doctor Who fan with ties to Big Finish, an up-and-coming young actor. We don't know when he was cast, AFAIK,

4) Torchwood Series 1 didn't enter production until some time into Series 2 of the main series. "Torchwood" was originally an anagram of "Doctor Who" used to keep early tapes and materials secure in transportation.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

DoctorWhat posted:

3) He was a big Doctor Who fan with ties to Big Finish, an up-and-coming young actor. We don't know when he was cast, AFAIK,

Tennant had also worked with Davies before in a BBC miniseries version of Casanova; I think it was rumored that Tennant was already up for the role the first time around before bringing on Eccleston, but I could be wrong.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
With regards to 1, I had always heard that one of the directors (I think it was the guy who did the Slitheen 2 parter) was pretty terrible to cast and crew. He pissed off Eccelstein who went to RTD and RTD wouldn't/couldn't do anything about it, and that soured Eccelstein to the whole thing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Illuen posted:

With regards to 1, I had always heard that one of the directors (I think it was the guy who did the Slitheen 2 parter) was pretty terrible to cast and crew. He pissed off Eccelstein who went to RTD and RTD wouldn't/couldn't do anything about it, and that soured Eccelstein to the whole thing.

Yeah, Keith Boak. He was also the director on Rose and was responsible for elevating to the grotesque heights much of the crude humor (farts, mostly) in those stories.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Eccleston's official reason for leaving was that he "didn't want to be typecast". He'd already done an amazing mini-series with Russell T Davies (The Second Coming) and supposedly had a good working relationship with him from that. That said, along with Paul McGann, he's an actor who much prefers Theatre work over doing TV and movies, and so I think has said that he's quite happy to take terrible roles in bad movies for lots of money if it means he can do interesting stage work for the rest of the year.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eccleston has said publicly he was not a fan of some of the production stuff from season 1, although he has never elaborated or gotten more specific than that. He doesn't hate Doctor Who, but he doesn't seem to like discussing it much anymore. I'm sure they would have kept him on, because the prospect of casting a new person to play the lead is difficult enough when you aren't in the midst of reviving a long-dead program.

And yeah, Tennant was a huge fan who basically got into acting because of Doctor Who, had been working on the radio dramas as a few characters for awhile, and had worked with RTD before. He got to live out his childhood dream and play the Doctor (and, hilariously, married the daughter of the person who played the Fifth Doctor, thus both becoming his hero and getting his father in law as his hero at once).

I'm pretty sure Captain Jack was brought back to life purely because he was so popular, they wanted to be able to bring him back if they wanted, but who knows?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

One Swell Foop posted:

Eccleston's official reason for leaving was that he "didn't want to be typecast". He'd already done an amazing mini-series with Russell T Davies (The Second Coming) and supposedly had a good working relationship with him from that. That said, along with Paul McGann, he's an actor who much prefers Theatre work over doing TV and movies, and so I think has said that he's quite happy to take terrible roles in bad movies for lots of money if it means he can do interesting stage work for the rest of the year.

David Tennant's tramp-steamer of a career has a lot of theatre roles in it, too. Maybe it's a British thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

David Tennant's tramp-steamer of a career has a lot of theatre roles in it, too. Maybe it's a British thing.
Does "tramp-steamer" mean "a literal pile of poo poo a homeless man leaves in the street?" Because I've seen Casanova.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

qntm posted:

Oh, I remember the speculation over this thing. I remembering speculating the hell out of it. I was ravenous for all of those little teasing clues, trying to connect them all up into something remotely coherent. Honestly, the very last thing I expected it to be was a boring closed timelike loop which makes no sense even in the context of omnipotent godlike spacetime powers and closed timelike loops. I was also expecting the deep booming teaser voice "THEY SURVIVED THROUGH ME" to be the Face of Boe, who was clearly (to my eyes) an overgrown Dalek secretly manipulating all events from behind the scenes. So, yeah, this was the episode where I stopped trying to predict Doctor Who.

I'm pretty sure we covered about every line of speculation possible. I was expecting it to be an overgrown Adam from the Dalek / Long Game episodes. He was imbued with future technology and had been in contact with a Dalek, and had a weird forehead thing reminiscent of a Dalek eye stalk, or the similar prosthetic eye seen on the Daleks' creator Davros in the original series. He would be the progenitor of the new Daleks. It would fit in with the theme of the Doctor's careless actions having unexpected bad consequences. I was wrong but I still think it would have been plausible.

Agreed on "Bad Wolf" being unsatisfactory without any reason why that phrase in particular should be meaningful. You could replace it with any other mysterious phrase and the series would work just as well (or badly).

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

One Swell Foop posted:

That was actually the reason the BBC offered for him and he explicitly had to come out and say that it was actually because of poo poo that happened that pissed him off and he never said anything about typecasting to anyone, but wouldn't really elaborate further. It reminds me of when I was moving out of an old apartment and they asked me why I was leaving. I gave them my top 3 things I hated about the place (mainly centered around a bad office staff), and they wrote down "didn't like the neighborhood".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I'm pretty sure Captain Jack was brought back to life purely because he was so popular, they wanted to be able to bring him back if they wanted, but who knows?

Considering that episode was filmed well before Jack premiered on television, I doubt that was it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
"Born Again/The Christmas Invasion"
Series 2, Episode 0

There's something you have to know about me: I love dumb poo poo. I mean, I really, I absolutely and completely adore dumb poo poo. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is one of my (and Oxx's) favorite videogames; it is an insane, stupid, absolutely nonsense game that begins with you cutting a 500-foot-long walking tank in half as the cheesiest buttrock ever conceived blasts in the background. It is absurd, and it knows it; and I love it because it is so absurd.

There is a craft in making things that are dumb, awesome. It takes skill to make something so insane and so over the top, it takes actual knowledge and appreciation to be able to turn off someone's more critical, more intellectual part of their brain as you instead blast pure ludicrousness in its place.

This episode is that, that knowing, clever idiocy and it is absolutely and completely incredible as a result. This...this is RTD at his absolute, unparalleled best, he crafted a real banger of a script that moves at 110% almost the entire time, and was...great. I loved this episode. This is not a good episode of television, but I loved this episode. I LOVED THIS EPISODE!

There's just so much of it that's great! The Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) and Rose crash-land in modern London, literally having the TARDIS bang into nearby buildings as it wildly descends. From the first shot we see of the two mains in their phone-box spaceship, the episode makes a loud statement: This show is very, very silly. And it only gets sillier as it goes on, and it's kind of incredible.

The Doctor is mysteriously ill (the aftereffects of absorbing Rose's TARDIS energy or whatever) and is essentially in a coma, so about half of the episode is spent with Rose interacting with Mickey/Jackie. Now, normally, this would be a massive bummer, but for once the script actually kinda services Rose as a character, and she actually has a fairly good arc- actually, just has an arc in general, really -dealing with her coming to grips with The Tenth Doctor appearance-wise. It's nice that they address that Ten looks completely different and having Rose try to understand that The Ninth Doctor she knew is both dead and still alive, and having her come to grips with the pathos and grief of losing someone, while at the same time trying to comprehend that the lost person still exists in some form, is some dramatically rich stuff. And, for once, having The Doctor be out of commission for so much of the episode means that Rose actually does have to rely on herself for most of it, culminating in her quiet declaration when confronting the Sycorax of "Someone's gotta be The Doctor." A rare moment of reflection and self-reliance assisted by Billie Piper's genuinely good acting makes for an actually good Rose story, an arguable first for the series.

But gently caress that poo poo, none of it matters. Evil Santas with rocket launcher trumpets invade! Then a Christmas tree tries to kill the main characters! Then the Sycorax, the true Big Bads of the episode, invade! And The Doctor gets revived via loving TEA! And then The Doctor swordfights the loving Sycorax leader on top of their ship! And then Harriet Jones BLOWS UP THE SYCORAX SHIP WITH A loving SUPER LASER! THIS EPISODE loving RULES! YES! YES! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

This, this is what I mean when I say I love dumb poo poo. There's a part in the middle where the Sycorax are mind-controlling one-third of the world's population, causing them to stand on the edge of tall buildings, threatening to order their immediate suicides if the world doesn't immediately surrender (and get subsequently enslaved) to the Sycorax that just doesn't work, because it tonally tries to be depressing and starkly disturbing in a way that just doesn't work, but beyond that...absolutely absurd, all of the time. And I can appreciate and adore that, because I know exactly what I am getting and just the same way I can pump my fist at cutting a Metal fuckin' Gear Ray in half as "Rules of Nature" hits its crescendo, I can pump my fist at The Doctor sword-fighting the loving Sycorax leader on his own ship.

I'm just gonna say it now, this might be premature...but David Tennant is a better Doctor than Christopher Eccleston. Wait, wait, wait...Let me explain. Christopher Eccleston, no doubt, is a much, much better actor than David Tennant. Eccleston is able to display a wide range of subtle emotion, of illustrating the haunted pathos of a mentally wounded veteran, one who committed genocide. Eccleston is so able to create The Doctor as a conflicted hero, one with deep, abiding issues, one that we can sympathize and understand with. And see, that's the problem.

The problem is Eccleston was elevating the material of a show that did not, in any way, want to be a deep character study. I would frequently, after seeing an episode I hated like "Aliens of London" and especially "Boom Town" complain to Oxxidation over gchat, where I'd go "Well, Eccleston was great, so maybe I shouldn't give this an F. Why don't they just focus on Eccleston?" And he would insist that Doctor Who was not that show.

See, Eccleston was elevating the material and creating pathos when there wasn't really any on the page, with his line delivery and character subtleties. And because he was, I was expecting the show to be like that, and because of it, was more and more disappointed when it wasn't like that. I was angry because Eccleston had created an expectation, in my head, of a show that Doctor Who never wanted to be- a better show, a more nuanced show.

Tennant, especially in contrast, is just loving absurd. He is loud, he is manic, he is talking all the time, and he is incredibly broad. And because of it he's a much better Doctor- because The Doctor isn't some wounded war vet masking a deep pain, he's an absurd alien shouty man who sword fights with Sycorax leaders on the roof of their loving ship HOLY gently caress GUYS THAT WAS SO RAD. The Doctor is a 60's scifi hero, tossing off one-liners and being a ridiculous, insane hero who does insane loving poo poo all the loving time, and David Tennant is that hero. And it rules, because The Tenth Doctor is so much more on tone with exactly the show RTD wants to make. I finally, I truly understand what Oxxidation had been warning me about all along- and I love it.

The stupidity, the absolute absurdity wouldn't land if the script didn't support it, and with an actor who plays The Doctor to the hilt- David Tennant really deserves props for how eager and committed he is to the role -Russell T. Davies crafts a script heavy on the one-liners and light, bouncy overall mood. I mean, come on, who wouldn't cheer on a guy who says this: The Doctor: "When you go back to the stars and tell others of this planet...When you tell them of its riches, its people, its potential, when you talk of the Earth, then make sure you tell them this- IT. IS. DEFENDED." It was exactly on tone for the entire episode and totally worked- painting in big, broad, ludicrous strokes completely and utterly worked. This show finally is exactly what it wants to be- a big, stupid, amazing scifi punchy-punchy action thriller with super obvious, still effective character moments. Tennant was exactly what this show needed to be the show it wanted to be, and he is awesome, if nowhere near as good as Eccleston.

This show is loving stupid. And I LOVE IT.

Grade: A

Random Thoughts:
  • YO THE DOCTOR SWORDFIGHTS THE ALIEN loving LEADER ON THE ALIEN loving ROOF OF HIS ALIEN loving SHIP! HOLY gently caress!
  • I didn't get into the little mini-special that aired before this one, set immediately after the events of "Parting of the Ways". It's a five-minute-long little minisode that mostly consists of Ten geeking out over his new appearance, before dramatically collapsing, causing him to send the TARDIS spinning off to modern day London. Anyways, here's a mini-review: Eh, it's okay. Tennant is clearly a ridiculous, super over-emotive actor, and it does explain some context for how Ten is different from Nine (Ten is clearly more inquisitive and generally upbeat, to the point of being manic-depressive), and it's fun to watch Ten geek out over his new face, but this whole five minute sequence was clearly unnecessary and the BBC, or whoever was in charge of editing this episode, made the right call by chopping it out of the episode as a whole, since it would've dragged the show down pacing-wise. It also makes Tennant's unveiling as Ten in the middle of the episode more impactful since he's been essentially comatose for most of it before then. Also the audio mixing on the special is atrocious. Like supremely terrible.
  • The Mickey-Rose stuff is still super awful though.
  • I would complain more about the whole fact that this episode is predicated on pretending that Aliens of London/WWIII both never really happened (in the sense that everyone is shocked they're getting invaded by aliens) and did (Harriet Jones' existence in general), but hey they sorta addressed the main issues I had with the hanging issues, sorta- I guess the government covered it all up, also it LED TO A LASER BLOWING A GIANT loving SHIP OUT OF THE SKY HOLY poo poo GUYS THAT WAS AWESOME
  • LOOK AT ALL THESE LINES, THEY RULE
  • The Doctor: "Is that the sort of man I am? Rude? Rude and not ginger?"
  • The Doctor: "See, that's the thing. I'm the Doctor, but beyond that, I-I just don't know. I don't know who I am."
  • The Doctor: "From the moment they arrive on this planet, and blinking step into the sun, there is more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than...sorry, that's The Lion King."
  • The Doctor: "This new hand...IT'S A FIGHTIN' HAND!"
  • The Doctor: "If there's pilot fish, then...Why is there an apple in my dressing gown?" Jackie: "Oh that's Howard, sorry." The Doctor: "He keeps apples in his dressing gown?" Jackie: "He gets hungry." The Doctor: "What, he gets hungry in his sleep?" Jackie: "Sometimes..."
  • Jackie: "I'm gonna be killed by a Christmas tree!"
  • Please tell me someone has a gif of Tennant going "I DON'T KNOW!", you know the one, because holy poo poo that poo poo was fuckin' incredible

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 19, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Not a word. Not a loving word. Not a loving word from any of you. The first person who mentions hubris gets an "accidental" house-fire.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The illness isn't mysterious, dude. Something like that happens whenever he regenerates. He'll have a coma or suffer amnesia or become temporarily psychotic. It's a great opportunity to introduce comedy or remove him from most of the action while the writers figure him out more or just have him choke someone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

30.5 Days posted:

That was actually the reason the BBC offered for him

They actually ran the "typecast" press release, including a quote from Eccleston, without ever running it by him. The BBC had to issue a formal apology after Eccleston and his agent raised hell. His contract was always for one season, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is a great fuckin' episode and life is amazing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok now I'm finally ready to call it - you will definitely become some level of Doctor Who fan by the end of this journey.

I totally agree with you about this episode. It's stupid and hilarious and I didn't really understand why people were implying it was bad.

Mickey is truly the absolute worst. God I hate Mickey.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

loving amazing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well Toxx the important thing here is that you're happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

I totally agree with you about this episode. It's stupid and hilarious and I didn't really understand why people were implying it was bad.

It's a Christmas Special. Almost all UK Christmas Specials are like this. They're bigger, louder, dumber and more fun because it's a light-hearted festive romp for people who have a pound of turkey and half a bottle of port down them.

The ridiculous dumb fun aspect puts a lot of people off.

• Locked thread