Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I am loving every minute of this. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
This is pretty exciting. Although, I totally expect Occ's gonna see-saw wildly back to open contempt, and then back to love. Up until he gets to the worst two episodes in the entire series. :getin:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Spatula City posted:

This is pretty exciting. Although, I totally expect Occ's gonna see-saw wildly back to open contempt, and then back to love. Up until he gets to the worst two episodes in the entire series. :getin:

The library two parter is pretty bad, but come on

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The library two parter is pretty bad, but come on
I assume he means Girl in the Fireplace and Blink. He never said they were back to back.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I assume he means Girl in the Fireplace and Blink. He never said they were back to back.

No, they are consecutive. It's the Human Nature two-parter.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I wasn't joking

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm siccing Annakie on the next person who name-drops future episodes. Be told.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hey don't look at me. I've got spiders in my ears.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth

Now you're just being cheeky. Or quantum. Which is also cheeky.

To be clear, I personally don't give a rip about spoilers, I'm the type of person who goes to Wikipedia articles to spoil things he's never read, watched, or played. But Occ's OP requested future-Who discussion to be verboten for a perfectly understandable reason, and if he can't glance in this thread without getting a faceful of gossipy spoilerchat then I get to play janitor, which is only fun in small doses. You've all got two perfectly serviceable megathreads to do that in, each more horrible than the other, and if any of you are thinking that bringing such discussion into those threads will bother the regulars there, then let me assure you - you'd be correct, and that is hilarious.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Oxxidation posted:

Yep.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Don't ruin the fun of the thread guys. No spoilers, not even in spoiler tags.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
So what has to happen to trap Occ into watching all of Torchwood? Community inexplicably getting pulled after one web episode?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Deadpool posted:

Don't ruin the fun of the thread guys. No spoilers, not even in spoiler tags.

Dead just posted in a doctor who thread

this is fuckin' serious guys

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Speaking of THE FUTURE, how far are you intending 'every episode' to go, exactly? Will you bolt the upcoming series on to the end if you haven't killed yourself by then, or just up to where the show was when the thread started?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Speaking of THE FUTURE, how far are you intending 'every episode' to go, exactly? Will you bolt the upcoming series on to the end if you haven't killed yourself by then, or just up to where the show was when the thread started?

Sure! note: this assumes that one, me and oxx do every season in the first place, which is at a minimum like six months from now

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anoia posted:

So what has to happen to trap Occ into watching all of Torchwood? Community inexplicably getting pulled after one web episode?

Occupation knows better than to ever toxx over Community again.

I hope.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

Occupation knows better than to ever toxx over Community again.

I hope.

But what about the movie?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Got to S2 E1 did you?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Captain Fargle posted:

Got to S2 E1 did you?

I'm surprised his reaction was that mild.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Don't worry, a cure for what ails Toxx is easy, we'll just.... put all the other cures together into a big bowl and.... I.... :negative:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jerusalem posted:

Don't worry, a cure for what ails Toxx is easy, we'll just.... put all the other cures together into a big bowl and.... I.... :negative:

This thread is a wonderful rollercoaster ride.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Dead just posted in a doctor who thread

this is fuckin' serious guys

It's like your coming-out party darling.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Toxxupation posted:

I'd be so happy if this was your review for S2E1 and we moved on.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Toxxupation posted:

Oh thank god, the other shoe dropped. I was truly worried after the score given to the Christmas Invasion.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Muahahahahahahaha.

That was pretty verbatim our reaction at the time, too.

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
This whole thread is the best thing in TVIV, looking forward to where it goes :munch:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The suspense is getting to me!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
"New Earth"
Series 2, Episode 1

Cassandra O'Brien is and was a lovely, terrible character on Doctor Who. She has zero redeeming characteristics and was an active drag every time she was onscreen, such a stereotypically mustache-twirlingly evil racist that she ruined an already bad episode in "The End of the World" because so much of Rose's time onscreen was spent with her. So it's with some dread that "New Earth" opens to her antics.

See, The Doctor and Rose travel to the year five billion and three, to the titular New Earth. The Doctor has received a distress call-soon to be revealed to be the Face of Boe, yet another recurring character from "The End of the World", at the nearby hospital, but that's quickly pushed to the backburner as it's revealed that Cassandra, having survived her 'death' via, essentially, plot trickery, lures and takes over Rose's body while The Doctor is off trying to solve the mystery of how this hospital is able to treat supposedly 'incurable' diseases so easily.

It turns out that the cat-faced nurses who run the hospital are essentially running a clone farm, whose members are infected with every disease the hospital is studying in order to pursue their cut-rate standards of care. The Doctor finds out, is suitably horrified, then plot shenanigans occur wherein all the infected clones are let loose. The Doctor figures out how to cure everyone, then Cassandra dies peacefully. Fin.

It's...I just don't really know where to start here. The tone of this episode is all over the place- Cassandra taking over Rose's body is played for laughs, as we essentially watch Billie Piper play an ultra camp parody of herself, which overall works- until the second half of the episode, when the reveal of the cloning vats takes place, where the episode expects you to take the haunting, disturbing concept of human experimentation with the seriousness it deserves. It's such an out-of-nowhere and completely bizarre tone change halfway through that the entire episode is thrown off, going from Cassandra-as-Rose's impression of Cockney to looking at the tortured, horribly infected humans, boils and pustules everywhere on their faces, and expect to buy the revelation. Then, just as quickly, back to camp Rose as if nothing had changed. The tonal whiplash is compounded even further when the infected break out, as it turns Doctor Who into a B-grade zombie flick, then back to whacky camp body jumping, then the (supposedly) serious, emotionally affecting end of Cassandra.

The entire episode is incoherent. Is it serious? Funny? An action thriller? A character study? Some sort of allegory? Who the gently caress knows, because RTD sure as hell doesn't! This "throw everything at the wall and hope it sticks" approach to storytelling backfires on him big time in this episode because it's all so goddamn confusing. Especially coming off "Christmas Invasion", an episode that knew exactly what tone it wanted to set for its duration, this episode is all the poorer in comparison because he misses the mark so thoroughly. Stop disappointing me, Davies.

The plot resolution is especially stupid- having The Doctor essentially mix up a batch of super medicine Kool-Aid in a bucket, then throwing it on the infected, who magically cure each other via physical contact is just stupid and hole-ridden, although not particularly infuriating coming off so much other stupidity. Yeah, sure, whatever Davies, give the episode a pat resolution with everyone, more or less, making it out fine via a literal magic loving potion. It's a stupid, completely unearned ending to the episode, but really no stupider than what came before it, so who really cares.

What really irritates me this episode, though, is its treatment of Rose. Having Cassandra take over Rose's body gives some good one-liners in the script, but unfortunately it also gives Davies to really, really sex up Rose's character and wardrobe.

Like...look, I'm a straight dude. And Billie Piper, she is an incredibly attractive actress (especially since they aged up her hairstyle this season). But...having her cavorting throughout the episode in a skintight shirt with the top three buttons undone so she bares off her entire cleavage, having Rose speak in the stereotypical "smokey sexpot" voice, every other line out of her mouth an innuendo...it just made me loving uncomfortable. It made me feel like a weird pervert, the objectification of Rose was so over the top. This isn't what I come to Doctor Who for. I doubt this is what anyone comes to Doctor Who for, and even if they do not for this blatant and shameless version of objectification.

The amount of objectification throughout completely kneecaps Rose in this episode; she becomes less of a character and more of a RealDoll with a pulse. It's all the more weird and troubling because it's all handwaved away by "Well she was being mind-controlled", so at a certain point it feels like RTD introduced the mind control angle specifically to shield himself from criticism because he knew he couldn't get away with this poo poo, this blatant and pandering objectification unless he wrote himself an easy out for why a character would act that way.

The downside of that, however, is it means that none of Rose's actions at all matter to the plot. She by definition experiences no character growth nor are we, the audience, really seeing Rose at, really, any point in the episode outside of the very beginning and very end of it. So not only did they mistreat Rose by turning her into a sex object, they mistreated her by removing her from the episode.

More's the pity, too, because when it's not tonally insane or objectifying Rose the episode is really great. Piper turns in a loving fantastic performance as Rose/Cassandra-as-Rose, and the script is heavy on some absolutely fantastic one-liners- "Rose's" realization that Rose is a chav is a standout. Like, I really cannot oversell how good Piper is in this episode. Once Cassandra took over Rose, I groaned and started swearing because Piper can barely play one character with any grace, having her play a wholly separate character impersonating her own character seemed like a recipe for disaster, but she sold the hell out of it and had some fun besides. In the second half of the episode, as Cassandra starts hot-potatoing between The Doctor and Rose, both Tennant and Piper really get into the inherent hamminess of Cassandra's character, turning up the ludicrous camp in some pretty awesome and funny ways.

Cassandra, through Rose/The Doctor/various zombies/Chip (her manservant) has an arc throughout the episode where she comes to empathize with and eventually understand the "new" humans she variously hated, until she finally comes to peace with dying over pursuing a ridiculous parody of "life" to continue her racial elitism. The arc only works, and only just, because the actors playing Cassandra when she's controlling them- Piper especially -are able to sell, emotionally, her development. But, as a character, she doesn't experience anywhere near the emotional or narrative arc to sell her development from maniacal terrorist bent on ludicrous greed to an empathetic and sympathetic human being (pun intended) content to die.

This is the problem with bringing Cassandra back- she was such a ludicrous, awful parody of a villain in her debut, so utterly reprehensible that it would've been nearly impossible to buy a redemptive arc in any form, much less one that takes up the space of, generously, ten minutes of one episode. I refuse to believe, I just do not loving buy, that she would jump into the body of an infected patient and somehow magically gain a heart of gold, and because of it the ending doesn't work at all for me.

This is so frustrating. There's a version of this episode that totally works- if they cut out the redemptive arc for Cassandra (or cut her out entirely, she's not important in the slightest to the resolution of the central plot), put some loving clothes on Rose, and played up the goofiness/campiness of the episode over attempt really, really poorly for the audience to buy the gutwrenching horror of human viral colonies, this would've been a great episode. The humor is there, the script is (usually) there, the performances are there- it's the everything else that drags this episode down. What a loving disappointment.

Grade: D

Random Thoughts:
  • That whole lovey-dovey scene on New Earth at the beginning of the episode- bleck.
  • I love Rose's new hairstyle in this episode, it's a great hairstyle. Her season one hairstyle silently reinforced her characterization during that season- that of a flirty idiot -by being a more traditional "teenage girl" hairstyle. Having that shoulder-length cut, in contrast, ages up Rose contextually and more reflective of an early twenties, independent woman hairstyle. It's a subtle, but important thing- like I really felt that her haircut was a silent reflection of the show's focus on making Rose a more capable and independent woman in this season, which was largely reflected in her actions before she got mind-controlled. I really hope that my desire for a more intelligent, clever Rose this season is paid off. HAIRSTYLES, GUYS
  • I really don't care about the Face of Boe so the whole hanging plot thread of him planning to reveal to The Doctor some grand secret the third time they meet didn't do anything for me.
  • Those cat nun ladies looked fuckin' weird as hell.
  • Rose: "You're so different." The Doctor: "New new doctor."
  • Rose: "Bit rich, coming from you." The Doctor: "Can't help it, I don't like hospitals."
  • That little moment where Rose follows Chip, but before doing so picks up a big ol' metal stick just in case? That's what I'm loving talking about, Doctor Who. Make Rose into an actually capable, intelligent human being! Do more stuff like that! Don't make her a mind-controlled sexpot.
  • Cassandra: "Chip sees to my physical needs." Rose: "I hope that means food."
  • Cassandra (as Rose): "Wotcha. I'm on my way, guv'nor. I shall proceed...up the apples and pairs."
  • The Doctor: "...yeah, still got it."
  • The Doctor: "I'm the Doctor. And if you don't like it, if you want to take it to a higher authority, there isn't one. It stops with me."
  • The Doctor: "That is enigmatic. That...that is textbook enigmatic."

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 21, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
All I know is that Billie Piper slipped on a push-up bra when playing Cassandra, and that none of the writing staff or producers realized until they started shooting.

Still a bad episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toxxupation posted:

[*] The Doctor: "I'm the Doctor. And if you don't like it, if you want to take it to a higher authority, there isn't one. It stops with me."

Harriet Jones: t:mad:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ed: this came off prickier than i intended

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wasn't the original plan with this episode just to let all the clones die, but then they thought it'd be too dark and slipped in a pat nonsensical cure ending at the last minute?

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014

Toxxupation posted:

I love Rose's new hairstyle in this episode, it's a great hairstyle.

Am not remotely disappointed in this review

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Wasn't the original plan with this episode just to let all the clones die, but then they thought it'd be too dark and slipped in a pat nonsensical cure ending at the last minute?

I heard something along those lines, yeah. If one of the turbo-nerds can provide details that'd be super.

My followup for this one may be later than usual, I am doing stuff right now.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Toxxupation posted:

Random Thoughts:
I really hope that my desire for a more intelligent, clever Rose this season is paid off.

Just gonna save this for later.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 21, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This episode has the Face of Boe in it therefore it is a good episode IMO.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

you know what regy rusty, youre all right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Like...look, I'm a straight dude. And Billie Piper, she is an incredibly attractive actress (especially since they aged up her hairstyle this season). But...having her cavorting throughout the episode in a skintight shirt with the top three buttons undone so she bares off her entire cleavage, having Rose speak in the stereotypical "smokey sexpot" voice, every other line out of her mouth an innuendo...it just made me loving uncomfortable. It made me feel like a weird pervert, the objectification of Rose was so over the top. This isn't what I come to Doctor Who for. I doubt this is what anyone comes to Doctor Who for, and even if they do not for this blatant and shameless version of objectification.

This is a very good point, because while NuWho as a whole does love to present its very pretty ladies at the Doctor's side (good lord wait until you get to Amy and Clara, Moffat & Co. have a keen eye for pretty ladies), it does rarely objectify them to the degree that other sci-fi or fantasy fiction does.

Which itself is also very funny because there's an apocryphal quote in the ether about how in OldWho the Doctor was there for the kids and the companions were "something to keep Dad from changing the channel." I don't know how risque they companions actually were, especially because they seem very tame through a modern lens, so if anyone out there knows I'd love to hear about it.

I can at least imagine a very minor stir being caused over Leela's outfit back in the day:

• Locked thread