Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't seen this episode in a while, but it's one where how much I enjoy it always kind of takes me by surprise. Which it really shouldn't, because I really like Toby Whithouse's TV writing, to the point where he's my secret hope for next Doctor Who showrunner whenever Moffat decides he's done.

And yeah, a lot of that's down to Rory, but it's not just him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

I still think Doctor Who under Moffat's time is hugely varied and interesting in terms of ideas, settings, and characters, but Moffat's own episodes never hopscotch between a complete tire fire and a rollicking good time like Davies' did, in part because of his reliance on a certain number of recombinant motifs, which, while it does become tiresome to many, never degrades fully into a weakness.

I mostly agree with you and I do think when he leans he tends to lean on his strengths rather than his weaknesses. Only factoring in what we've already seen: he's very big on bookends, his horror aspects rely on taking little "what if" thoughts that flutter through everyone's mind and making them manifest literally (latching onto a powerful elemental image like a gas mask or a weeping statue), he likes to present textbook moral dilemmas and then at the end, have his protagonists fail to settle for the options, et cetera, et cetera. I do think there are times when it degrades fully into a weakness, and that's when he relies on sitcom tropes for the side characters or draws from his stock for the human villains. He has one other major flaw, but I think that's for discussing later.

Some of that is that there's a limit to how often anyone with a particular writing style can continue on one show without wearing a little thin. As you and many others have said though, who the hell is going to take over for him when he decides to leave?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bicyclops posted:

Some of that is that there's a limit to how often anyone with a particular writing style can continue on one show without wearing a little thin.
Definitely. He's not a one-trick pony, but he does have a regular bag of ides he likes and his tendency to put a lot of concepts into one story means you see the same things cropping up a lot more frequently than if he took a subdued approach.

Take the Library two-parter. It's not the first time he incorporates an acausal relationship (and it isn't the last), and flesh-eating shadows and brain uploading are easily interesting enough to form the backbone of a story. But he aims for [E: attention-grabbing stuff] and so everything gets thrown in.

quote:

As you and many others have said though, who the hell is going to take over for him when he decides to leave?
I'd be quite happy to see the showrunner write fewer episodes themselves, to be honest. Let Whitehouse or Gatiss or whoever guide the overall plot and structure and get more new blood in to write the individual episodes.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 21, 2015

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

God drat it, this is what happened when I take too long to write my thing up, you people steal all my excellent points

It's actually because, like all gay people, I have magic powers when it comes to Doctor Who.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Oxxidation posted:

God drat it, this is what happened when I take too long to write my thing up, you people steal all my excellent points

Just pretend that you didn't see it and rip it wholesome. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'd be quite happy to see the showrunner write fewer episodes themselves, to be honest. Let Whitehouse or Gatiss or whoever guide the overall plot and structure and get more new blood in to write the individual episodes.

I think the old model is dead and buried, but yeah, I know what you mean. At the very least, maybe the script editor/head writer doesn't need to be the showrunner. There are advantages to it, though, and I'm sure I'd be the first to start whining about how some producer was stomping all over the creativity of the writer. Joss Whedon and Bryan Fuller are both creators that demonstrate the best and worst parts of both ends of the spectrum, with their quirks sometimes carrying their show in the face of producer interference, while other times their intense egos make an absolute trainwreck out of what they're attempting, sometimes just out of spite what they perceive as creative difficulties with the production stuff.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Vampires of Venice is one of my favorites of the season. The sci-fi stuff is a little rough, but there's a lot of good stuff in there (I love that there was just an off-switch for the doomsday device, btw. Had to happen sooner or later), and Rory is so great.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I have made a grievous error in judgment. You see, I kind of figured Occ would get used to this season and sort of subconsciously grade it on a curve. So I normalized around C to make up for this. I think this is one of the weakest episodes so far, so I predicted low marks. Not because it's bad, but because as far as its quality goes it's pretty mediocre in comparison.

My points... :negative:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I was very annoyed with this episode the first time I saw it. The fish monsters were dumb. I think I groaned out loud when I saw the male fish monster crumble to dust because it got caught in a reflected beam of sunlight. That's not how fish work!

Their plan was to turn women into space fish. Why use women for that at all? If they are doing such a profound change, and one that leaves little to none of the original DNA or memory anyway, wouldn't almost any animal the right size have worked just as well? Like dolphins or sharks or alligators. They had no respect for the culture or lives of the human savages, so why not swim out to an uninhabited area to restart their civilization rather than trying to settle in the filthy canals of Venice? Settling in Venice sets them up for centuries of war.

Then she just gives up. Oh well, first try failed. Might as well kill myself out of spite. :argh:

On a second watch Rory was really great. I wasn't expecting anything from the space fish so I didn't pay much attention to them, and the human characters shone through.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The plot is OK but so by the numbers that I found it pretty forgettable. The Carrionites energy aliens fish monsters are pretending to be witches ghosts vampires to carry out their sinister plan and the Doctor has to save the day with the help of Charles Dickens Shakespeare Rory. It really does feel like a leftover RTD era episode that they decided to pop the new characters into.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Republican Vampire posted:

Community is great about this because it has that scene where Shirley tells Abed off and defends people who like consistently entertaining things over weird conceptual boondoggles.

And here I was, thinking to myself, "Have you read that bible of yours?"

But then I also remembered that she's a fictional character and that I was projecting.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

I was very annoyed with this episode the first time I saw it. The fish monsters were dumb. I think I groaned out loud when I saw the male fish monster crumble to dust because it got caught in a reflected beam of sunlight. That's not how fish work!

They're aliens, not fish.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

thexerox123 posted:

They're aliens, not fish.

They were out in the sun lots and lots during the episode. All they did was his a bit and try to stand in the shade. Then suddenly a tiny reflection is enough to go poof! If sunlight were that dangerous to them, then they wouldn't be going outside during the day at all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Doctor Who
"The Vampires of Venice"
Series 5, Episode 6

In some ways, "The Vampires of Venice" is the episode that "Victory of the Daleks" should have been - we've got a light, fluffy one-off set in a past locale with a lot of quick pacing and effective comedy, much like the Dickens, Shakespeare, and Christie episodes (wow, look at that, a statement that probably no one will 100% agree with). None of you will remember that waaaay back in "The Unquiet Dead" I said that the past episodes were on the whole my favorite ones in Doctor Who, and this one shows off most of the reasons why.

I always get a little thrill out of seeing one of these episodes shot in an unfamiliar locale and finding out where it was, and oh baby, this was a whopper. Odds are that the production crew wanted to shoot this in Venice, but they couldn't shut down a district of the city long enough to get their work done - which I can buy, I've never seen Venice myself but I've heard it's busy as a wasp's nest even during off hours, if anyone here has visited Venice please share their Venice stories - and so, they needed to think laterally. They shot instead in the little coastal town of Trogir in the Republic of Croatia, which was considerably sleepier, making for easier filming, and also, this is the brilliant part, it used to be a Venetian colony, so the architecture and city planning are roughly similar to that of Venice itself. It's easily the best out-of-country shoot since "The Fires of Pompeii," and the excellent costume design, particularly the garish Venetian-Transylvanian fusion ensembles of the Calvierri family, are top-notch and contrast hilariously with the more modernized clothing of the main cast. Maybe a little too much for Amy, actually - this is probably a setting where her legs on display would have literally been to die for, but the costuming department's yen for Amy and miniskirts is a burden that we've already at this point learned to bear.

The villains of "Vampires in Venice" also have the "supernatural creature, except not really" quality of the Shakespeare and Dickens episodes, something that used to give Occ no end of grief, but I think that this bunch is saved from the cliche for two main reasons. First, the villains this time are said to be intentionally invoking the vampire myth (or as the Doctor puts it, the "vampiyaaaaah" myth), because it helps distract people from the fact that the water around their estate constantly boils and screams and there is a distinct space-fishing aroma wherever they go. Second, the Calvierri family (I was honestly expecting "Calvierri" to be some godawful Italian fish pun, but a quick Google didn't turn up anything relevant to its etymology) is actually a pretty decent batch of bad guys; Alex Price's turn as Francesco Calvierri is comical and sleazy all at once as he flounces around in that ridiculous hat-and-cape getup, only to get way too comfortable within his mother's personal space in an adjacent scene. And Helen McCrory is excellent as Rosanna, lending what could have been another cackling thrill killer into a playful aristocrat with a very troubled past and a very narrow set of morals - she understandably wants her family back, but everyone else can hang for that cause and she morosely lets herself die when that cause is dashed. The way that, after her plans are all thwarted, she half-heartedly tries to deactivate her busted mirage machine and then quickly "undresses" (still a bit weird that you would be taking off hallucinatory clothing, but whatever, it's a nice dramatic effect) so that she can feed herself to her children before the Doctor arrives is way more touching than an episode like this calls for. There's also the nasty and unspoken irony of her assessment of the Doctor - she calls him out for being too cowardly to save his race, not knowing that he's the one who lit them all up to begin with.

As for the Doctor himself, what else is new. Smith is great. Smith will always be great, forever and ever, amen. Occ's landed on most of his best moments already, but I also liked the way that little half-smile never left his face as he promised to tear down Rosanna's house - his mouth says "I've got a funny secret" but his eyes say "I will rip off your bearded man-servant's head and poo poo down his neck." The way he endlessly takes the piss out of the episode's premise (body-snatching fish from space are stealing women to make breeders for their ten thousand kids, ewwww) helps reinforce the episode's playful nature, and his unabashed delight in seeing what could have been actual vampires was contagious. Also, his fall away from the "electrified" wooden door was the only thing that kept that bit from being completely stupid, instead of just mostly stupid. Bless you, Smith. Blith.

There are flaws, as ever. Amy's outfit, like I said, is way more incongruous here than usual. The special effects are remarkably poor (the climax in particular gives me trauma flashbacks to "Evolution of the Daleks"), though the episode at least makes an attempt to use the CGI and green-screen as little as possible in favor of creepy prosthetic teeth and bubbling water. Francesco went out like a chump, unless Amy's makeup case somehow magnifies sunlight one-hundredfold. Rosanna's non-fish retinue consists of a single guard and a remarkably dedicated short bloke with a beard. Her decision to send her race's only hope as foot soldiers against the alien man who promised to destroy everything she worked for was an inadvisable one. Still, par for the course when it comes to Who. "Vampires of Venice" gets by on the strength of its performances and its set-dressing, and is more than enough to qualify as a good episode.

But there's one thing that makes it a great episode.

A NEW COMPANION APPROACHES: RORY WILLIAMS

It was let slip that Rory was going to be a companion in the "Eleventh Hour" simulchat, though it really barely qualifies as a spoiler - Rory was set up as Amy's Mickey analogue from the start, as Occupation noted at length, and if loving Mickey got a turn on the time machine then Rory deserves one too. And as Occ also noted, while Mickey left about as much impression as a puff of whiny hydrogen, Rory is anything but forgettable, even if he doesn't seem like it at first glance - in fact, his unassuming appearance is a huge part of his charm.

I mean, look at this guy. Arthur Darvill's got a face like a beach-bum ferret and he plays Rory with the permanent expression of someone who has something they'd very much like to say but doesn't want to interrupt. When we first get a really good look at him in Eleven's little Doctor-vision scene in "The Eleventh Hour," he's dressed in bland, colorless scrubs, slack-jawed, staring straight ahead with smartphone in hand; he looks like a satirical cartoon about consumerist sheeple or something. Then the Doctor actually runs up and talks to him and and tells us, in his mumbling, hesitant way, that he's the only man in this whole bloody town who actually knows what's going on without the aid of a yelling alien doofus. Rory's quiet, kind of nebbish, and has a nose you could put someone's eye out with, but there's a reason he turned out to be Amy's main squeeze in the Doctor's absence and it's not because of those sweet potential-doctor dollars.

Amy grew up with serious abandonment and disappointment issues, her childhood marked by an incredible man who promptly zoomed off and ditched her alone in her yard all night; in contrast, Rory, while plain as white toast, is as level-headed and reliable as they come. While he initially seems like a doormat and Amy an ungrateful, borderline-abusive jerkass, her aggression and his passivity come from the same source - they're both terrified of letting each other down, as already shown by Amy's considerable angst over not making it to her wedding night and Rory's habit of suddenly turning into a loving brick wall whenever Amy's well-being is in question. Both the Doctor and Francesco end up horribly surprised by mistaking Rory's gentle, bemused attitude for spinelessness. He politely but firmly forces the Doctor to explain the situation with his fiancee and then succinctly sums up exactly why people around him keep getting themselves killed ("You make them want to impress you"), and he broom-fights Francesco just so his attention will be diverted from Amy long enough for her to escape. Neither Amy nor Rory believe that they're good enough for each other; Amy covers it up that insecurity with acting like a bullying older sister instead of a girlfriend, and Rory tries to hide it with his general acquiescence, but that kind of song and dance doesn't really work during moments of mortal peril. Their brief adventure with the Doctor forces them to re-evaluate and strengthen their relationship even as it endangers both their lives, which is an interesting dynamic in a lot of ways - it keeps another Rose situation from developing, it prevents the show from becoming solely focused on the Doctor and how people feel about the Doctor, and it puts an extra obligation on the Doctor himself, because if either of those two gets hurt, the other one will never forgive him for it.

It helps that, unlike S1/S2-era Mickey, Rory is an actual character instead of a bipedal punchline. Rory's already established to have a steady job and wide circle of friends as of this episode's opening, and reinforces the former by staying to help Francesco's victim instead of running off to adventure. Mickey had no obvious career or hobby besides "Loser" and a social life to match. Rory slots almost effortlessly into the Doctor's usual dynamic, in part because he's grown up under the Raggedy Man's shadow all his life, but also because he's able to take his basic good qualities - reliability, kindness, level-headedness - and apply them to the situation at hand. Mickey's character arc consisted of "at some point he will learn to do something, anything at all, other than type the word 'buffalo' on a computer." There's something almost Zen-like in how Rory lets the timey-wimey bullshit of the universe wash over him; Mickey's reaction to the Doctor whipsawed between quailing from him like a witch or glaring at him with jealousy utmost. Occ went into enough detail on the rest, so I won't belabor the point, but in a lot of ways Rory does feel like a deliberate response to the Mickey/Rose dynamic, the plain homebody boyfriend who contrasts the Doctor, except treated with some degree of craft and respect instead of a an overlong joke.

And Darvill's acting is great, of course. He's able to get an entire range of emotion out of the same exasperated expression just from letting his jaw hang open a little wider or his head shaking this way or that, and Rory's hesitant, slightly uncoordinated body language is a great fit for his personality (look at how he quietly sidles away from Guido's gunpowder stockpile as soon as he realizes what it is). He comes off as a dude trying to make the best out of a bad situation, that bad situation being his life in general, and that's something that makes us all feel fuzzy inside - like Donna, Rory is relatable because he's ordinary, and inspirational because his goodness, too, is very ordinary. He's not an immortal super-scientist or a gunslinging archaeologist or even a tin dog; if he were uplifted as a being of pure light and thought, he'd still probably just be Rory. And all right-thinking people will agree that's a good thing. Off you go to adventure, Rory. Awkwardly shuffle towards and destroy all that oppose you.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 21, 2015

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Rory owns.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Rory Williams

Grade: A

Yeah, but what about a grade for the episode.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
The grade is clearly five Rorys out of five. Which is a great rating scale that Occ should switch to, and it wouldn't really affect the contest because A - 5, B - 4, C - 3, D - 2, F - 1.

I don't remember a lot about Vampires of Venice, but I know for sure I liked Rory from the start. He provides an interesting contrast with the Doctor. It's already clear here that the Doctor is a practiced liar and a gigantic spaz; by contrast Rory is honest and level-headed. The doctor's a great man, but not necessarily "good" (for more information ask John Smith), but Rory's a good man. :3:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I was way under, guessing a C, but I underestimated the power of Rory.

Also, will never get tired of this:

Toxxupation posted:

I loving hate Doctor Who. It cannot be stressed how much I despise this show. I watched the first, like, four episodes of Eccleston's run like three years ago (at Oxx's insistence/deceit) and hated literally everything about it- the acting, the godawful special effects, every stupid-as-poo poo tired injoke, every single catchphrase, the terrible, terrible,. TERRIBLE plotting, the wretched, grade school dialog, the camera angles, the scene blocking...everything. I hated everything, and vowed never to watch it ever again. So it's with that caveat that I say: don't read my reviews if you expect anything more than a guy who absolutely despises this show watching it.

Toxxupation Series 5 grades posted:

A
B
D
A
B
A

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Oxxidation posted:

if anyone here has visited Venice please share their Venice stories

When I went to Venice a bird pooped on me and I got locked in a bathroom.

I also think Rory is one of the best characters on Doctor Who ever. Are these things related? Who can say.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sighence posted:

Wait, other people like this episode? Its entire back half is a mess of too many people running about too many places doing too many different things and failing at most of them.
That's pretty much how I remember it too. :shrug:

Bown posted:

If she does, it really doesn't come across to me. I'm not suggesting Rose et al were any better, but "look! she's no-nonsense and yells at everyone in a vaguely witty manner!" does not a well-rounded character make.
She also does dumb, obviously dangerous things for no reason.

Angela Christine posted:

They were out in the sun lots and lots during the episode. All they did was his a bit and try to stand in the shade. Then suddenly a tiny reflection is enough to go poof! If sunlight were that dangerous to them, then they wouldn't be going outside during the day at all.
This really annoyed me when I watched the episode, but it's only the most egregious example of this episode's total disregard for consistency.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tiggum posted:

She also does dumb, obviously dangerous things for no reason.

Like I've said before, Amy being unhealthily overimpulsive is an established character flaw backed up by her past.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Senor Tron posted:

I was way under, guessing a C, but I underestimated the power of Rory.

Also, will never get tired of this:
code:
Toxxupation Series 5 grades posted: (fixed)
A
A!!!
D
A
B
A
Hah. That's full 66% A answers. Same as I gave.
Too bad that my only 2 non-A guesses were completely different. (Beast below & this one). :v:

Issaries fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 21, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

This really annoyed me when I watched the episode, but it's only the most egregious example of this episode's total disregard for consistency.

I actually like it better having seen these reviews. As a story about vampire fish from space it is a mess. As a story about Rory, about Rory just getting on with it and dealing with absurd impossible things, it is great. The Rory story is almost perfect. It sort of makes me forgive the weak vampire fish from space story, because the episode isn't really about them, they are just a silly prop.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I actually watched the Confidential (behind the scenes extra info thing) for this episode and IIRC the reason they didn't shoot in Venice was partially because Croatia is much, much cheaper to shoot in but mostly because it's actually difficult to find places to film in Venice that still look old enough. The place they shot in looks more like Venice did back then than actual Venice does now.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Rory is worth an A but that episode was not. It makes me wonder what would have happened if 11 saw Rory as a kid instead of Amy.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I saw an A happening

This was a perfectly serviceable episode of 'campwho' to me, even without Rory

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Jsor posted:

I have made a grievous error in judgment. You see, I kind of figured Occ would get used to this season and sort of subconsciously grade it on a curve. So I normalized around C to make up for this. I think this is one of the weakest episodes so far, so I predicted low marks. Not because it's bad, but because as far as its quality goes it's pretty mediocre in comparison.

My points... :negative:

I made exactly the same mistake :(

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Vampires of Venice

This episode has the least A guesses so far (and is the episode with fewest correct guesses) due its reputation as a average episode overall I guess, it also had the same number of F guesses as Flesh and stone which makes it joint highest!

A
Not a Twat
Juvenalian.Satyr
And More
ThNextGreenLantern
Bunnita
AndwhatIseeisme
Sighence

B
Glenn_Beckett
Jakiri
cargohills
Organza Quiz
FreezingInferno
Random Stranger
DoctorWhat
Blasmeister
M_Gargantua
Xenoborg
Attitude Indicator
mind the walrus
Prison Warden
Paul.Power
Stormgale
egon_beeblebrox
radmonger
PurpleJesus
Andrew_1985
docbeard
Jurgan
Arsenic Lupin
John Charity Spring
LabyaMynora
Jet Jaguar
Fucknag
Kevino07
BeefyTaco
thexerox123
ActionZero
Noxville
Proposition Joe
GonSmithe
hcreight
FewtureMD

C
Regy Rusty
Gandalf21
Rochallor
Hewlett
jng2058
Stumiester
Pinwiz11
Bobulus
Senerio
cool kids inc.
umalt
Grouchio
Practical Demon
Smello
Fungah!
Sinestro
Colonel Cool
DetoxP
SirSamVimes
adhuin
ThePlague-Daemon
Legoman727
Hannibal Smith
Go RV!
Senor Tron
WeirdSandwich
Ohtsam
MikeJF
Anonymouse Mook
30.5 Days
Jsor
Howe_sam

D
thrawn527
BSam
Daedleh
Burkion
Stobbit
???
Keisse J
ewe2
Squalitude
Mo0
idonotlikepeas
2house2fly
f#a#
Big Mean Jerk
surc
Roach Warehouse
Captain Capitalism
NeuroticLich
Irony Be My Shield

F
Tiggum
fatherboxx
death .cab for qt
Party Boat
RodShaft

What does this mean for the scores? Well it means that Proposition Joe collects his first point, but remains in first. At this point stormgale, who guessed all B, is currently sitting at a score of 6, Jakiris RNG decision is sitting on 7. Twelve players have lipped into double figures and Sighence's 0 score this round means he's now tied for last and has at least one other player hot on his heels.

Proposition Joe 1
Noxville 2
Rochallor 3
stumeister 3
Prison Warden 3
Paul Power 3
Bunnita 3
LabyaMynora 3
Kevino07 3
Regy Rusty 4
Cargohills 4
Organza 4
Random Stranger 4
Hewlett 4
Not a Twat 4
DoctorWhat 4
Xenoborg 4
Attitude Indicator 4
Docbeard 4
SirSamVimes 4
Arsenic Lupin 4
John Charity Spring 4
BeefyTaco 4
MikeJF 4
thexerox123 4
GonSmithe 4
Glenn_Beckett 5
BSam 5
FreezingInferno 5
Gandalf21 5
jng2058 5
Blasmeister 5
M Gargantua 5
Keisse J 5
Practical Demon 5
PurpleJesus 5
2house2fly 5
Big Mean Jerk 5
DetoxP 5
Hannibal Smith 5
WeirdSandwich 5
hcreight 5
FewtureMD 5
Daedleh 6
Stobbit 6
Senario 6
Mind the walrus 6
cool kids inc. 6
Stormgale 6
Smello 6
Fungah! 6
Radmonger 6
f#a# 6
Colonel Cool 6
Senor Tron 6
Ohtsam 6
Anonymouse Mook 6
ActionZero 6
Jsor 6
Howe_sam 6
Jakari 7
Pinwiz11 7
Bobulus 7
??? 7
ewe2 7
Grouchio 7
And More 7
Jurgan 7
adhuin 7
ThePlague-Daemon 7
AndwhatIseeisme 7
30.5 Days 7
thrawn257 8
Juvenalian Satyr 8
egon_beeblebrox 8
ThNextGreenLantern 8
Jet Jaguar 8
Fucknag 8
Captain Capitalism 8
Legoman727 8
Irony Be My Shield 8
Burkion 9
umalt 9
Squalitude 9
Andrew_1985 9
NeuroticLich 9
fatherboxx 10
idonotlikepeas 10
Party Boat 10
surc 10
Roach Warehouse 10
Go RV! 10
death .cab for qt 11
MoO 11
RodShaft 12
Sinestro 13
Tiggum 14
Sighence 14

As an extra and to make you all scroll a little bit more, here is how many times each person has guessed correctly so far

Proposition Joe 5
stumeister 4
Rochallor 4
Noxville 4
thexerox123 3
Stobbit 3
SirSamVimes 3
Regy Rusty 3
Random Stranger 3
Radmonger 3
Prison Warden 3
Paul Power 3
Not a Twat 3
MikeJF 3
LabyaMynora 3
Kevino07 3
Keisse J 3
Juvenalian Satyr 3
John Charity Spring 3
jng2058 3
Irony Be My Shield 3
Hewlett 3
Grouchio 3
GonSmithe 3
Glenn_Beckett 3
DoctorWhat 3
Daedleh 3
Colonel Cool 3
Cargohills 3
Bunnita 3
BSam 3
Big Mean Jerk 3
Arsenic Lupin 3
2house2fly 3
Xenoborg 2
WeirdSandwich 2
Tiggum 2
thrawn257 2
Squalitude 2
Sighence 2
Senor Tron 2
Senario 2
PurpleJesus 2
Practical Demon 2
Organza 2
Ohtsam 2
M Gargantua 2
Legoman727 2
Jsor 2
Jet Jaguar 2
idonotlikepeas 2
Howe_sam 2
hcreight 2
Hannibal Smith 2
Gandalf21 2
Fungah! 2
Fucknag 2
FreezingInferno 2
FewtureMD 2
f#a# 2
ewe2 2
Docbeard 2
DetoxP 2
cool kids inc. 2
Burkion 2
Bobulus 2
Blasmeister 2
BeefyTaco 2
Attitude Indicator 2
Anonymouse Mook 2
AndwhatIseeisme 2
adhuin 2
??? 2
umalt 1
ThNextGreenLantern 1
ThePlague-Daemon 1
surc 1
Stormgale 1
Smello 1
RodShaft 1
Roach Warehouse 1
Pinwiz11 1
Party Boat 1
NeuroticLich 1
Mind the walrus 1
Jurgan 1
Jakari 1
fatherboxx 1
egon_beeblebrox 1
death .cab for qt 1
Captain Capitalism 1
And More 1
ActionZero 1
30.5 Days 1
Sinestro 0
MoO 0
Go RV! 0
Andrew_1985 0

Shout outs to Sinestro, MoO, Go RV! and Andrew_1985!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The great thing about reading Doctor Who from a new perspective is that it can always make you appreciate some things you might have missed an episode, except for the two or three that you, personally, have an undying irrational hatred for and will never forgive (these episodes are different for every person).

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I should really have rewatched some of these episodes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

2house2fly posted:

The plot is OK but so by the numbers that I found it pretty forgettable. The Carrionites energy aliens fish monsters are pretending to be witches ghosts vampires to carry out their sinister plan and the Doctor has to save the day with the help of Charles Dickens Shakespeare Rory. It really does feel like a leftover RTD era episode that they decided to pop the new characters into.

"The villains are doing something and the hero stops them with the help of some ancillary characters" describes a vast quantity of fiction

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oxxidation posted:

There are flaws, as ever. Amy's outfit, like I said, is way more incongruous here than usual.

Here is the great thing about being an old-time Who fan. Once you have gotten used to the Doctor's companion walking around looking like this: you will never, ever again give one and a half thoughts, far less a second thought, to the incongruity of the companion's dress in any given context

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Spatula City posted:

The grade is clearly five Rorys out of five. Which is a great rating scale that Occ should switch to, and it wouldn't really affect the contest because A - 5, B - 4, C - 3, D - 2, F - 1.

I don't remember a lot about Vampires of Venice, but I know for sure I liked Rory from the start. He provides an interesting contrast with the Doctor. It's already clear here that the Doctor is a practiced liar and a gigantic spaz; by contrast Rory is honest and level-headed. The doctor's a great man, but not necessarily "good" (for more information ask John Smith), but Rory's a good man. :3:

Unfortunately the analogy doesn't hold because Rory, and Rory alone, gets the full 5 Rories out of 5, so the highest possible grade any doctor who ep could get would be 4 Rories

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Toxxupation posted:

Unfortunately the analogy doesn't hold because Rory, and Rory alone, gets the full 5 Rories out of 5, so the highest possible grade any doctor who ep could get would be 4 Rories

I have just received a book that gets 5 Rories out of 5. It is transcendent in its nerdy glory.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

What about a theoretical episode that was a 1 Man show starring Rory?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

This is the first time I've actually guessed correctly :toot:

Toxxupation posted:

It's a bit disheartening, though, that I gave that score under the assumption that you would review the episode and not just the character Rory Williams.
I'm not complaining, of course.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Stormgale posted:

Ah man poo poo that shits blowin my mind yo

Sieje
Jun 29, 2004

My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes.

Stormgale posted:

The scale would explode with a Rory teamed up with Donna episode.

Which I now want more than anything.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sieje posted:

The scale would explode with a Rory teamed up with Donna episode.

Which I now want more than anything.

Stop making me want things I can't have! :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Filox posted:

Stop making me want things I can't have! :cry:

Anything is possible in Doctor Who, my friend. Actors you think have long gone will suddenly show up, decades and decades after their time with the show. Almost everyone is willing to come back to it at some point.

• Locked thread