Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The best part of Torchwood is that Captain Jack's theme music ended up with the unofficial name of "Here he comes on a ruddy great tractor".

The worst is Ianto's shrine. Although I can't hate it because gently caress me that thing cracks me up every time I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well that could have been the review all on its own. Hope we still get a detailed one though.

Concrete blowjobs.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Boring really is the main descriptor for this episode to me. A show for entertainment shouldn't be boring. This episode just is. And it's a shame because it has some really interesting ideas in there. That makes it worse. It's not offensive or anything, just dull.

I do like the Scribble though. There should be more scribble creatures in Sci-fi.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, this two-parter was great. Looking forward to the review. :allears:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

*EVERY SINGLE POST ON THIS PAGE FROM THIS POST FORWARD MUST ALSO CONTAIN A DISTINCT REASON WHY THE DALEKS TOTALLY RULE THE CYBERMENS STUPID FUCKIN, KNOCK OFF OF A lovely DALEK, BORING STOMPY FACES*

Yeah, definitely. I just love how much character they have when they're done well, which only really happens when you just have a few rather than a million billion. Well, with a few exceptions. They're definitely better in small quantities. Whereas one Cyberman is rubbish, and many Cybermen are also rubbish.

Also all of these are wonderful but I can't remember which ones are from later episodes. Well, there's a nice excuse for me to watch them all.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like the Face of Boe as well. He's like a giant Futurama President Head. He could do with an enormous mech though. Well, could have done if they hadn't killed him off the bastards. :argh:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Really one of the things this episode annoyed me with is that the Cult of Skaro were pretty interesting, and here they are unceremoniously killed off or sent away as a result of the most stupid plan ever. They were good fun in Doomsday, and here they were just rubbish.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I really liked the Cult of Skaro due to how cool they were in Doomsday, it's a real shame that most of them had to die in such a bad episode.

This, basically. Sec was my favourite Dalek design. (well, second to Special Weapons Dalek, I love that goofy fucker) Uh, when he was still in his shell I mean. And thank you to the Doctor Who wiki for supplying me with this ridiculous sentence explaining why he looked different. I was wondering why he had his own special paintjob.

quote:

He was then sent to the weapons research area for upgrades, where he was re-encased in Metalert, a type of Dalekanium that was defensively superior to standard Dalekanium.

Sci-fi gibberish is the best gibberish.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I realised yesterday that I have actually never rewatched an episode of Doctor Who. I just don't for some reason. I guess I just like the not knowing what's going to happen more than anything else. Did almost end up watching the next episode afterwards last night. Netflix fired it up automatically so I watched up to the credits.

Dabir posted:

Trap sprung. Nerd.

All Doctor Who threads are great big nerd traps.

e: oh poo poo

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, the Master reveal was a bit odd for me as well. I'd heard of him, I had the gist of him being a bad Time Lord, but I still didn't really know what to expect at that point. Still worked for me, just more of a "what is this guy like what's he going to do" kind of anticipation as opposed to "hooray, it's the Master, he's probably going to do X and Y and have an evil plan". Bit like with the first Dalek episode with Nine and the Cybermen with Ten for me as well, except I knew a bit more about what Daleks tended to do. Cybermen ended up being a bit disappointing though.

Derek Jacobi and John Simm are both great in this episode. And John Barrowman, but that goes without saying I think. Plus I like the death gimmick. Bit more interesting than just "can't die" and it can get a bit silly in places.

Also Doctor Who scenes that take place in Cardiff Bay will always be dear to my heart. There's just some kind of nerdy wonderfulness about being able to say "hey, I've been there" for some reason.

e: also the Master just locking the TARDIS door from the inside is great

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The good bits of this episode are so, so good. Oh, forget it, I'm going to go watch it myself.

Xenoborg posted:

Its worth mentioning that the studio and most of the filming takes place in Cardiff so they like to use it when they can. Even when an episode takes place in "London" you can sometimes tell it's Cardiff by landmarks, similar to so many American TV shows being shot in Vancouver.

Oh yeah, "Spot Cardiff" has been great fun for me since the revival started.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, finished watching the two-parter (three?). Can't wait for the review now.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It'll take a lot more gifs than that. Good start though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I do like the idea of using the Archangel Network against the Master since it's basically how he managed to do everything he did, but did the Doctor really have to fly across the loving room? I mean really.

But yeah, the Face of Boe reveal is great. Face of Boe is great, Jack is great, shazam, it's the same guy. I just like that.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, Donna is a great character. The Adipose thing is very silly, but you end up with a million adorable alien babies at the end so I can forgive it.

Also I read somewhere that only the front ones were individually animated, the rest were all done with some AI thingamabob. That sort of thing always impresses me. Maybe it's just some completely mundane thing to people in the industry, but it just amazes me for some reason.

Also also I want to see the Planet of the Hats.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The main thing I remember of this episode is a man gets eaten by a giant brain. It just tends to overpower everything else. I still like the Ood though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I like River. And it's always nice when the Doctor meets someone who utterly bamboozles him.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The thing I remember about the episode, is apart from the regeneration fake out (which in hindsight is really funny) and Rose getting her personal Doctor it's actually pretty good. Or at least I liked it.

The whole Donna gets her memory wiped thing is a really sad end to her character and comes off as a bit mean-spirited, but that just works for me. Sometimes people get screwed over. Martha similarly gets the short end of the stick quite often, but that seems more like bad writing whereas here it does come off as how RTD wanted it. I could be wrong of course, quite often I am an idiot where this show is concerned.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It has some interesting ideas. And then pisses most of them down its leg. Yeah, DoctorWhoSpecial.txt

actually no it is poo poo

McDragon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 22, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wait, poo poo, Planet of the Dead. I thought it was a different episode. Nope, just poo poo.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh hey, I'd have actually guessed the right grade for this one. What a terrible episode.

e: oh, apparently this is where they switched to HD

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

He didn't. Occ isn't that calamitously stupid with his money unless Puzzles & Dragons is involved.

Aww, I want a Doctor Who collaboration now.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I used to play it, but then wiped my save by accident and can't really be bothered with it any more. It was ok I suppose.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It is also the grindiest of these games known to man.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This is just a plot to get Toxx to listen to some audios, isn't it? Technically he will have the best score.

Also Falloutchat: Old World Blues was my favourite part out of all of 3 and New Vegas. Second was Rex. I am a sucker for Dogs in Videogames.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I only just realised yesterday why these new Daleks were so out of place for me. And it turns out it's pretty much the same as Oxxidation. It's just out of character for them. Colourful, flashy stuff just isn't their style. They're big tanks. They fly around in B-Movie flying saucers. The gang which is supposed to be all creative and stuff tool around in a big ball. Why would they even want to experiment with their looks? Plus having their designations showing with bright colours seems pretty dumb. You'd think they'd go for some kind of subtle thing only Daleks could identify easily.

On the other hand, I do actually like all the silly colours. Just maybe use them on something other than the genocidal tank-squids?

fake edit: wait, don't Daleks in their shells only see in shades of blue? I'm sure all the Dalek POV shots I can remember are all blue. Ha.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Well New Dalek Paradigm don't have blue eyes.

Aww, that spoils things.

Burkion posted:

Fun fact, according to a comic from the 60s, Daleks cannot see the color red.

I like to think that even to this day that rule still applies to them, and the reason why there are red Daleks is because they're supposed to be stealth fighters.

This makes up for it though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, Broadchurch reviews as well? Lovely.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I like the Broadchurch reviews but I think it'd be good if you put them in the Broadchurch thread. Probably ask 'em if they don't mind first. It's not the most active thread ever though.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692114

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's (I think) the original kill monsters and make weapons out of them to kill bigger monsters game. It's usually pretty fun if nerve-wracking at times. Also very grindy although that might have changed since the ones I played.

Does it still have Plesioth or whatever the water jerk with the Hip Check of Doom was? His hit boxes were rear end.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The duck pond thing actually being a thing completely threw me at the time. It's so minor but I thought it was just a funny observation from the spaceman at the time. It doesn't have ducks in, but it's still called a duck pond, aren't humans silly sometimes. Like how a dog bed is still a dog bed without a dog in it. Or even if it has a cat in it.

I guess you just have to see the angels in these two episodes as being different to the Blink ones otherwise it feels a bit off. Perhaps its like reverse-Superman and the Earth's Sun saps their powers or something. Or the Blink ones are Wooping Angles, some kind of relation and 10 just assumed he was dealing with the proper ones. Or maybe it's a time travel sci-fi show and I'm overthinking things.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

You're a doctor, deal with it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Rory is great. Him and Amy and the Doctor are wonderful together and a lot of that is down to the acting. They seem to be genuinely enjoying themselves and that always goes a long way towards making things more fun to watch. For me, anyway.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This episode was so bad to me I actually skipped the second part. That's the only episode of the revival I never bothered with. I assume that everyone kept being dicks and then the Doctor sorted them out.

Also the Silurians just look so bad and terrible.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

could be looking for kidney stones

you're the best

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Whoever deleted Toxx's avatar is a sadistic genius.

Oh. OH. Ha, that's great.

Also I lied earlier, I didn't skip the whole episode because some helpful person told me there was an important bit at the end. So I watched that bit. :(

also also, hooray :toot:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Lodger is just great. Matt Smith is great.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like the bit where it's all "if there's no stars, then what lights up the sky?"

And a whole bunch of other bits too.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 13, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I agree, River is great. I may have said that already, but it bears repeating.

e: so is Rory, of course

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Captain Fargle posted:

It's been loving forever since I actually watched Torchwood but I remember liking one particular episode. It was called "Countrycide" and it's the only episode title I can even remember besides Cyberwoman. It was basically just The Hills Have Eyes but in Wales.

I thought it was great because it turned out to be just all psycho cannibals and not alien sex monsters or whatever bullshit Torchwood felt like pulling out at the time.

Yes. Countrycide is the best because Jack busts into a barn on a tractor and blasts an old cannibal man with a shotgun.

Torchwood had some good ideas, but the execution was mainly terrible.

Daedleh posted:

I tell you what - I'd love to see Toxx review a couple of episodes of Torchwood even if it was only a couple.

Cyberwoman and the one with the underground weevil fight club I think would be best. :v: Or the one with the big meat monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Isn't this the episode that is one of Toxx's relatives' favourite episodes? I wanted to compliment him on his taste but was worried about spoilers.

Also this episode is great. It reminded me that Christmas episodes didn't have to be poo poo. :unsmith: Some people might say it jumped the shark though.

• Locked thread