Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Yeah I never saw it as trying to be scary so much as just bizarre. It's why the first fear we see is a gorilla, and why The Doctor seeing the monster for the first time is followed immediately by a chase scene complete with wacky music and a Scooby-Doo hallway.

I'd say it was certainly meant to be disconcerting, but not horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

His age is always going to be a bit bullshitty (because continuity in those days was whatever the writers remembered and cared about) but it goes from something like 450 in the middle of Two to ~750 at the end of Three; someone in there had a decent run.

It really wouldn't surpise me if the reason he's (nominally) 900 at the start of the revival is because it's the 9th Doctor.

Romana says he's 750-something in The Ribos Operation, and she's presumably basing that on Time Lord records. But that'd mean that 5-10, including the Time War, lived a combined 150 years, so who the gently caress knows?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

In The Big Bang when Rory punches him and he pops back up from below screen.

"WELCOME BACK RORY WILLIAMS! :haw:"

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

I remember liking the Eleven phone call just because the idea of Twelve standing there watching Clara's response to things he'd already said was a cool (and very Moffaty) moment.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

This episode is great and if you don't like the Doctor, Clara and Robin Hood saving the day by firing a golden arrow into a spaceship then you clearly hate fun :colbert:.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

I'm guessing you've never seen the early Hartnell serials?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Burkion posted:

All of the Godzilla movies

This, or alternatively every Ultra series to celebrate Ultraman's 50th anniversary next year. Let's get some Kaiju up in this thread.

I mean a selfless alien who defends earth from destruction on a regular basis? Practically the same show.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

The Caretaker made me not like Danny.

Firstly because he makes the assumption that Clara does whatever the Doctor says despite almost no evidence to suggest so, which we're meant to take seriously even though one of Clara's defining traits up until this point being "calls the Doctor on his poo poo". Secondly you don't just walk into a person's house/spaceship/time machine and start acting like a dick and insulting them :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Well, he does see the Doctor telling her to make a deadly robot pursue and try to kill her and her doing it without a second thought. He doesn't need to have seen the many times the Doctor says some variant of "do as you are told" to draw some solid conclusions from that.

There's still a jump from "Clara did a thing the Doctor told her to do" to "Clara has lost all ability to reason and will always do everything the Doctor says without hesitation". It felt like a conversation that would have made more sense if he had actually seen more than one example to lead him to that conclusion. Instead it comes off more like he just doesn't like the Doctor (which is fair) and is making up a reason why Clara should travel with him. it's also really disingenuous to Clara to make that assumption.

• Locked thread