Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Watching you alternate between hating and loving then hating then loving Doctor Who is the most wonderful rollercoaster ride. David Tennant is definitely a hit-or-miss Doctor, and for me he was definitely a hit. My favourite actually, although the newest is threatening to change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Well as we saw, David Tennant was on a horse. Check and mate.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm looking forward to seeing the Impossible Planet double, because it seems to have a bad reputation and yet it's one of my favourite Doctor Who stories.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah, the chanting of ONE OF US ONE OF US is a bit silly, but you have reached the point that most Doctor Who fans are at. I don't know any fans of the show that love all the episodes. We're all aware that the show has some pretty bad lows, but we accept that because the highs are so gloriously high.

The Impossible Planet/the Satan Pit is one of my very favourite Doctor Who stories, possibly my favourite altogether. The Doctor against the Actual Literal Devil is an idea that really shouldn't work, but the performances of the actors and the power of the writing manages to pull it off and not just make it tolerable but make it excellent.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 1, 2014

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Army of Ghosts/Doomsday is one of the only two finales that I actually really enjoyed in the Rusty era, and I'd say more with regards to that but really Toxxupation summed it all up better than I ever could.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So we've seen your Bottom Ten episodes. After watching Doomsday, how about listing your Top Ten for the first two seasons?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq-DhjidQxk

I have been waiting for the opportunity to post this. This is one of the very best of Murray Gold's compositions and it captures the emotion of the scene so incredibly well.

Also cult of skaro supremacy daleks rule cybermen drool

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If it's for the reason I think it is, we all felt the same way.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

adhuin posted:

Talking about future episodes.

Is it really that hard to not do this?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Senor Tron posted:

I remember when that's what the reviews were.

We've come a long way.

It really has been beautiful to watch.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Then post it you tease.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The second half of season 3 is why I disagree with the flak it gets. I mean yeah, most of the first half is awful-to-mediocre, but the second half is great.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Where can I find the TVIV IRC information again?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

And that's why you tried to get as many friend codes as you could. :colbert:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Time for me to draw attention to another piece of amazing music, possibly my favourite in the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SBNgu1hO4

Just listen to that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This is your review isn't it?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Craptacular! posted:

I'm rather surprised Occ didn't notice that The Doctor is responsible for Saxon, but maybe it's because he isn't familiar enough with Parliamentary politics: The Doctor brought down Harriet Jones in "The Christmas Invasion" with a one-line remark that leads to her facing a confidence vote by the end of the episode (which she ultimately lost, paving the way for Saxon.)

Did I mention how much work Martha goes through for The Doctor relative to most (revival) companions?

Oxxidation has already mentioned that he made sure it was the version with that scene that he's watching.

Edit: Corrected the name.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 30, 2014

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Republican Vampire posted:

Why would he watch it? It's a succession of in-jokes that he won't get and it's got around as much to do with the show proper as, say, Doctor in Distress.

Because it's absolutely hilarious even if you haven't seen the classic series.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Toxxupation posted:

2) Everyone should buy the Binding of Isaac Rebirth, it is a cool game for swell guys

I can vouch for the fact that buying Binding of Isaac Rebirth makes you a cooler and more likeable person.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Clearly not as I own it

Imagine how bad you would be if you didn't.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Toxxupation posted:

[*] Rose Status: Actually Kinda Owns.

Did hell just freeze over?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

1-2-2 spreads them out nicely.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It was done over PMs just before the season started.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

30.5 Days posted:

2 out of 13 is 16%.

Ohhh and we were doing SO WELL, too. Please review the thread rules during the next 24 hours. --Annakie

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I have learned my lesson about posting while half-asleep. Anyways, Alien was an excellent horror movie while Aliens was an excellent action movie.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Counterpoint: this episode sucks poo poo and you are bad.

Countercounterpoint: You are Wrong and I want to hit you with a brick.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tiggum posted:

The only thing I really remember about this episode is how Amy tries to rape the Doctor at the end. I don't know how anyone could possibly think that scene was anything but the worst possible idea.

:stare:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

World's End is really good and the fact that you are so wrong makes me doubt your ability to do other things like run the contest.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wibbly-wobbly Rory-wory... stuff.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Toxxupation posted:

Query: how do people feel if I write my season-in-review writeup directly after the season airs as opposed to whenever there's a danger of burnout happening? This means there'll be slight delays in between when seasons end and start again- like a week or so -but prevents longer breaks by having them happen more frequently

More importantly I think that a couple of the season in review writeups suffered-most notably series two- because it was harder to grade it as self-contained over part of a larger narrative I already knew

Dif people like reading the season in review writeups and if so is there a perspective you prefer I write from, either immediately after the season ends so it's more reactionary or a longer, more measured view that would be given, say, after Matt smiths time on the show ends

By "directly after the season airs", do you mean after you finish watching the season? Because these aired quite a while ago. :v:

If so, I think doing a review in between each season would work out better. Having smaller breaks more often seems like a better flow.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yes it is, exactly 4.5

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Words in the heart can never be taken. :smith:

Edit: Seems I got beaten but I'm sticking with it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's the same reason that Drax the Destroyer (a name that rhymes. Coincidence?) is consistently hilarious. The actor is so good at making it sound like he is completely and utterly serious about the ridiculous things he says.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I do like Karen Gillan's mysterious bowling technique where she runs forward screaming, lobbs the ball in the general direction of the lane, then somehow gets a strike.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 8, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't object too much to the whisk, but the plunger is irredeemable.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That gif doesn't include the close-up of the nodding skull. :mediocre:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

why are you on tvtropes.org

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think every future Doctor should be Scottish.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bethesda may make mediocre games, but they put money into publishing great games, and guys guys Dishonored 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Good, now watch the TV Movie.

• Locked thread