Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So E PLURIBUS ANUS is Occupation? (the dude who used to have a Jesse from Breaking Bad avatar or something?)

Anyway, I am British and really really really hate Doctor Who too. I do not see the appeal at all and it's nice to find someone else who understands this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
A show about crazy science fiction adventures in space and every single episode thus far has been set on Earth except the one that merely revolved around it.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It was an old joke in Britain that you could easily escape a daleks just by going up stairs. This episode concocted the silly floating thing to mess with everyone's expectations. (But then raised the question - why don't they always do that?!)

Christopher Eccleston yelling at the dalek was pretty much the only thing I remember about his episodes (well, up until you reminded me of the goddamn 'toxic' bit) and his take on the Doctor. It was maybe the only good scene in the series up to that point for me, but nowhere near enough to salvage it. Don't become one of them. :smith:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

This is wrong, Daleks could levitate in the seventh doctor serial Remembrance of the Daleks. It was the cliffhanger for one of the episodes!
Really? Man, I seem to remember them even saying on talk shows and in marketing that that was a big thing. Huh.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I have absolutely no recollection of this episode. How strange. I also could've sworn that the Dalek episode was the finale, so I have no idea how much we have to go, because I remember the gas mask thing and I'm pretty sure that was in Eccleston's run.

Toxxupation posted:

This episode retroactively makes Rose and Mickey's relationship REALLY creepy, though, unfortunately.
What is this in reference to?

It is still worrying me that Occupation/ANUS/Toxxiwhatsit (seriously, no one could've answered my page 1 question about his name at the time? If you're not a TV IV fanatic how the gently caress are you meant to know who is who around here especially with this thread title?) is willing to forgive so many negatives for the rare positives. Is this how a Doctor Who fan is made?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

A young Mickey is present during the events of this episode, and in his fear he looks to Rose as a mother-figure to protect him, and Rose even jokes that she fears she may have imprinted herself on his subconscious.

It's played for laughs but it's still creepy considering he grows up to be her boyfriend.
Thanks for the answer. Yeah, that does seem a little too weird.

Just the initial confusion of having a thread title that says Oxxipation's, but was posted by an E PLURIBUS ANUS (now Toxxupation) and posting with him is an Oxxidation and everyone is making references to an Occ.

I could only assume E PLURIBUS ANUS was formerly Occupation (a name otherwise unmentioned in this thread!) who I think I remember from the VGHS thread and who had a Breaking Bad avatar. And I thought it was him that did that Last Man Standing review thread, but I wasn't sure. So anyone who spends less time than me on TV IV would probably be completely lost.

...I just think hating Doctor Who should be accessible to other people!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I remember thinking these episodes had potential and were indeed better than some of the others, but I still hated them. From what I recall, the creepy gas mask children talking about "mummy" just got repetitive and annoying and there wasn't a real sense of dread and it was all very silly and disappointing.

I've heard people say Moffat is a good writer and a bad showrunner, but I wonder if he just used to be good at TV but degraded. Because Coupling was an amazing sitcom, while the last season of Sherlock can go gently caress itself.

MrAristocrates posted:

If you make it through Series 3 of Doctor Who I'll create a review thread for all three seasons of The Newsroom, :toxx:
Hah. But also, man, that is an incredible waste of time. At least Doctor Who finds new and interesting ways of being terrible. :smith:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Not to defend Doctor Who but did you have the same post-alien-nothing-changed problems with the Marvel movies? (I did with Agents of SHIELD...)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

I feel bad for not giving an episode of Doctor Who an A. I loving despise all of you for what you've done to me.
So does this mean I'm officially back to being the only person who hates Doctor Who? :smith:

I have no recollection of these past two episodes at all though. I remembered giving up on the show in the middle of Tennant's run, but maybe it was just the Christmas Special? Or are they just THAT forgettable? :shrug:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah.

The Sarah Jane Adventures is really really good children's television, but it's very much children's television. It deals with kid's and teenager's issues - absent/abusive families, body image issues, et cetera - and it deals with them really well, but it's not a show "for" grown-ups.
I always thought Torchwood was the spinoff for kids. It felt like it was written for 11 year olds who think swearing is cool.

For that matter, is Doctor Who not "kiddy" enough?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Okay, I definitely gave up on the show before this episode. But I did end up checking it out when urged by fans some years later, and I didn't care for it. It just didn't do anything for me. :shrug:

(But the other episode fans told me to check out was probably the only decent episode of the show ever. So I'm not completely negative!)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I can usually tell fake accents, but it's real hard to tell if the real accent is an Australian or a Brit doing a bad American accent these days. (With regard to that one guy in The 100, I should have gone off the fact he was tanned and muscular.)

Toxxupation posted:

Let me tell y'all a secret: ffxiii owns
This is genuinely the worst thing I've seen in this thread. :smith:

First Bass posted:

Karen Gillian did a valley girl accent on NTSF:SD:SUV:: and it's probably one of my favorite things.
But this is pretty fun. I've never seen her on Doctor Who but she always seems pretty cool.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

The episode opens with The Doctor and Rose landing on a space station perched on top of a planetoid that is somehow capable of orbiting a black hole without being sucked in. Now, clearly, as The Doctor notes, such an event should be literally impossible; thus the need for the space station, which is conducting a drilling expedition to the core of the planet to figure out what, exactly, is causing this anomaly.

[...]

All of the cast is able to accurately sell the psychological horror that "Impossible Planet" trades in; there's just a sense of unease that permeates the episode, especially when you get little scenes like the monotone-but-generally-cheery soothing feminine computer voice intones "He is awake. He is awake. He bathes in the black sun."
gently caress, this is the first thing that's made me actually want to watch one of these episodes. The bad special effects and the whole devil thing seem kinda meh, but man, I do like that premise.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I must have seen these last two episodes, I definitely remember the WW1 school, the pocket watch and Jojen. I think I remember finding the scarecrows a bit too silly though. The review kind of made me want to give it a chance (partially just to see Viserys Targaryen in another role - he came off super well in the DVD commentaries too), adding it to the ranks of that black hole episode, Gridlock and the ending of series 2...

Also Toxx, if you don't mind me asking, what job did you do in the US military?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I maintain hatred for Doctor Who and even I thought that episode was pretty okay.

And I guess Toxx DID mind my earlier question. Huh.

• Locked thread