Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
At the end of this, I'm expecting one or both of you guys to end up being fans of the show.

Gooble gobble gooble gobble one of us one of us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I have been informed that some people are wondering if we are taking a longer-than-average break following the conclusion of series 1, which says to me that some people severely underestimate Occ's masochism. Christmas special writeups are planned to go tonight.

This makes me happy in a strange, sadistic way.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
That was the best review I've ever read. It's like a kid opening the last Christmas present, being disappointed because it's a box of shoes, then his or her parents coming out with a surprise PlayStation 2.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
Don't worry, it's okay. The poo poo, the greatness, the show is like a roller coaster of quality, but throughout it all you get the feeling that even when it fucks up horribly, the people making the show were enjoying every bit of it. I think that's why I love it. Everyone involved is a fan boy going "look how loving cool this is!"

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
It's funny that, of course, the wonderfully goofy "Time Traveler fights Satan" episodes would be followed up by absolute poo poo.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Plz change thread title to Oxxipation's DoctorWhat Jam & The Blowjob Cinderblock

I support this because it will get more people coming in the thread wondering just what the gently caress is going on. We must share our suffering and hatred with the naive and hopeful. They shall become like us.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Potooweet posted:

You are history's greatest monster.

But he's a monster we love

Get it?

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'll be leaving now.

terrordactle fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 4, 2014

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

This reminded me of the best Dalek .gif

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
I thought about the Daleks evolving forms over the years and noticed a strange thing. In the classic episodes, the Daleks all looked like rusty, personalized tanks. They were soldiers and grunts. Only the Daleks at the top of the order every had any sort of markings beyond dark mundane colars and battle scarred. But in the revival, they all look so... regal. They're all creepily majestic, like they now consider themselves not only to be the superior life form, but also gods. And the change is justified because the Daleks are now one of the most dangerous forces in existence, capable of going to war against the Time Lords, a species that itself is capable of removing an enemy before it exists, and matching them equally.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
If there's one thing I love about Parting of Ways, it's the absolutely brutal way that it shows the Daleks killing everyone. All these side characters were introduced in the episode before, and then the Daleks come and loving murder them all. The scene where the Dalek floats outside the window in space, and you can tell it just yelled "EXTERMINATE" to itself because of the lights changing on its helmet. And then there's the scene where it shows the map of Earth showing the continents shifting as the Daleks bombard the planet.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
I think that the Doctor did love Rose because of her naivety. I mean, he just got out of a war that probably lasted hundreds of years that required him to become a soldier rather than a "doctor." A war that drove him, a guy who's already on edge from being nine hundred years old, several amounts of crazy.

But then comes along this goofy, bubbly, stupid girl who thinks he's the most awesome, handsome, dashing hero. Not a grizzled war veteran who probably committing several dozen war crimes in an effort to halt the Dalek advance, including murdering his entire race in a ploy to bring the Daleks down with him.

He had a family in the old series, even though we only ever saw his granddaughter, and he just loving killed them all to save the universe. And some goofy little blonde still treats him like he's worth something, so of course he latches onto her more than he usually would.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

WAIT ARE YOU FUCKIN SERIOUS? REALLY? THAT'S THE FUCKIN...CHRIST

Welcome to season 3!

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
That avatar.
It burns past my eyes and burrows deep into my occipital lobe. I have to dig it out. :shepicide:

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Good job, New Jersey. Only took you five billion years.

Even with giant crab monsters in the tunnels and everyone dead, New New Jersey somehow manages to somewhat better than the first run try.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

So Ursula, would you like to go a round with... the jackhammer?

terrordactle fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 16, 2014

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Nice and big, so you can see all the hosed up details. Let the image cement itself into your mind.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Kill... me...

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
One aspect of the whole immortality thing that few stories confront is the idea of full immortality for the universe. Mostly they just have one immortal amongst an entropic existence, but what if life simply continued? What if it kept going and going and no one ever died and new people kept being born even as their great, great, great, great grandfather was still kicking? The only story I know of that confronts this is the Thanos Imperative, a Marvel Comics miniseries.

Basically, an entire universe where death has been eliminated has overgrown. It's literally called the Cancerverse. A universal tumor that's constantly needing to invade other dimensions for new space and material, ruled under the iron grip of the most powerful monsters in existence. The ruling god, Shuma-Gorath, is powerful enough to have defeated Death several times over and has existed for trillions of years. It's freaking awesome, and it's probably the only story that makes a convincing argument that death is necessary without falling back on the typical "boohoo, I'm immortal and no one else is" plot. It actually shows that even if everyone were immortal and you would never be separated from your loved ones by death, that it would still be a really bad thing.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
I just want to say that I love Moffat's monsters. They're "spooky" in the sense that they can terrify small kids, but at the same time they have an unnerving "what the gently caress?" angle that makes them scary to many adults. The same with the clockwork men and the empty child. Just this sense of wrongness that comes through and a pseudo-scientific explanation to put a sense of uneasiness inside you where even though you know that the creatures can't exist, there's a part of your brain that goes "he just explained how they could exist! What if they do?!".

terrordactle fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 27, 2014

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
I love the Master. He really is just the Joker with a time machine. Heck, they both have in-universe explanations for why they change personalities occasionally.

One thing that sticks out in my mind about this episode is the Time War discussion. The Master mentions fleeing when the Dalek Emperor comes to take control of the Cruciform, whatever the hell that is. But he ran away. A psychotic mass-murdering loon who would gladly blow up the universe was scared so much by the Time War that he fled to the end of existence to escape.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, this is the very worst of "Doctor & a party of people who might die at random times" episodes, and there are many of them.

It also seems like every Doctor gets a good first Christmas special (helps if you consider The Christmas Invasion to be a rewritten Eccles script) and then they turn more and more unwatchable. At least, they were to me. I nearly turned this one off, and a later one is the only episode I ever did.

Which one? Post in spoilers or the eighth season thread since we don't want to mess with Doc Tocc's expectations.

E: Also, I'm attempting another run at the classic series. I've watched random bits and episodes that sounded interesting, but I want to watch them all for completions sake. I think there's something wrong with me.

terrordactle fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 5, 2014

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

I've been doing that gradually over the past year. Keep in mind that it's actually impossible to watch the entire classic series; several of them are still lost and probably will never be recovered.

Also, some of those episodes are boring. Super, super boring. Just hang on, you'll get to the better stuff soon enough.

I know. I'm doing it incrementally, just sort of watching in spurts before taking a break. It's fun watching the actors blunder through dialogue because the BBC didn't have the budget for a second take back then.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Random Thoughts:
  • The Doctor: "Now then, Lucius, my lord Pyrovillian, don't get yourselves in a lava. 'In a lava'? No?" Donna (exasperatedly mouthing): "No."

Could someone explain this to me? My brain is being stupid.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

RodShaft posted:

One of my favorite games is to Google translate phrases back and forth until they no longer make sense.

"Blue from the ark of God"

Sounds like it could be an episode that pays homage to Indiana Jones.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
The "I NEVER WOULD" is bad, but I do love Tennant's acting in it. Those eyes; he looks bonkers.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
I took it that he actually, you know, feels bad about the whole genocide and chooses to die. When Donna was there, he realized "holy poo poo, someone still needs saving."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
So Ox, how would you rate the greys as villains? Compared to all the other villains. I actually like them a lot, considering how they can be anywhere, subtly manipulating events.

No Spoilers!! - Mods

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 19, 2015

• Locked thread