Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I am just glad occupation hasn't gone the girls like David Tennant therefore worst Doctor ever route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Something that they explain better as time goes on is that Rose (and then other people) get to see things no human gets to see and they all love it. They are so impressed and happy to see something they haven't seen before. That is probably why after a grueling war he "falls in love" with Rose. She wants to get our of her crappy life and wants to go exploring the universe. The Doctor gets to see the wonder of the universe again because he surrounds himself with people who see the wonderment.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The great thing is when they find people who recorded everything or copies that are in some African Warlord's basement/some Australian's dude basement.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Arivia posted:

Except FF13 has way better-written women than RTD's run.

Where does that leave Moffat's writing of women?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

There is another way to look at it, the Doctor offering to be a friend and forgiving him and generally being a better person is the worst possible thing for the Master and in that way the Doctor is torturing him. The Doctor wins AGAIN and you can't do anything about it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I feel like the episode might of been better as a two parter to let the plots breathe a bit. I remember liking the episode the first go around.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I thought Piper gets worse as time goes on into the 2nd season. She is a brat, she has always been a brat, and doesn't seem to realize that life doesn't revolve around her.

Rose is different because she is 18 (right?) and she wants to experience this new world and excitement and at the end of the day wants people to be happy. Piper really only cares about Piper.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I'll come out and say it...

I think Forrest of the Dead/Silence in the Library is not very good. I find it a bit boring and disjointed and the whole who turned out the lights thing is irritating.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

True, but rarely so nakedly on-screen and in such exploitative detail. Usually it's just some lame poo poo like the alternate Enterprise blowing up or like in "Turn Left" vague intimations of corpses and name drops. "The Wish" literally has Buffy getting her neck snapped in slow-motion by The Master with the shot held for like 5 straight seconds.

Yesterday's Enterprise is awesome and you will not besmirch it here.

Also this is the best What IF scenario on TV because of the beard factor.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

I think this should count as a toxx for Timby to have to do a series of reviews of similar scope.

make it Torchwood or Power Rangers or something.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Here's what some random guy on the internet posted about it a couple of years agoreposted from Crush...Yiff...Destroy! in 2003 regarding events from 1994:
Meet Dennis "Quozl" Falk, the man who got Tiny Toons cancelled by being INCREDIBLY creepy
No idea how reliable this story is anymore (if it ever was), but it all seems quite plausible.

This is histories greatest monster.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The second part is actually pretty good except for one scene.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I know it weird, but this episode always bothered me because of the way potrayed Nixon. Nixon was a paranoid man who hated practically everyone and wasn't really kind at all. Moffat treated him as almost misunderstood almost fatherly sweet man and it bothers me so much.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

As most things, the best part of this episode is Rory telling the Doctor he is an rear end in a top hat and that no one should be like him.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

I really, REALLY do not understand people who do not like this episode.

The ending line is pretty bad and is really just superfluous. Also, the whole having faith being a bit ill defined doesn't help.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

docbeard posted:

I'm glad they went with the miniature giant robot spaceship though, as that was easily the best of the 'how does the Doctor escape his certain death like we all know he's going to' options.

I remember a collective groan that ended up being the way out but who knows.

I also remember hating the episode and basically the back end of this season.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I remember the debate in the thread about RTD/Moffat era was either the tonal shift for lack of a better word. RTD for all his flaws had heart and (some) depth to his characters if they were never fully developed. Moffat had all these great ideas and wrote dialogue really well but I think suffers for focusing way too much on the awesomeness of the Doctor and his shadier side. It's a fine theme to explore occasionally but he went to that well way to many times.

I get it, the Doctor lies but there has to be more than that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

This may be the worst episode Moffat has ever written. It's not just awful, it's not just capital A awful, it's capital A awful with italics. Awful.

Let's be real J-Ru the worst episode Moffat wrote is coming up and is The Time of the Doctor and was an awful regeneration episode which makes it double worse.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I remember thinking Aslyum didn't make much use of its premise but was otherwise fine.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

armoredgorilla posted:

A Town Called Mercy has John Crichton in it, it's the best.

Wrong, it horribly under uses Ben Browder :( .

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

marktheando posted:

Oh. Well I don't know his work but that movie looks bad from the trailer. Lets make a film that literally has stretch armstrong in it and make it all super serious and grim.

Would have been cooler if it was the Michael Jordan.

To be fair to Michael B. Jordan he was also in Fruitville Station and was regarded of the best part of it. And has had some other minor roles like most doctors have had before they become the Doctor. So I could see it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

This was the episode I was most looking forward to all season.... it was also the episode I was most disappointed in all season :smith:

And yeah, I can't stand Angie - she's just horribly written and distracts and detracts from every single scene she is in.

Ugh she was awful. THIS IS STUUPID, WHEN I AM BLAHBLAH BLAH, I WILL BLAH.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I feel like with Robots of Sherwood they were trying to two things that got dropped from the final script:

1. Have Robin Hood be a robot and thus proving the Doctor right in one aspect but that seemed to disappear towards the end.
2. Have the Doctor be part of the myth of Robin Hood, which kinda fizzled out.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ashpanash posted:

If you haven't yet seen Farscape, I'd rather see you do that.

This is the correct answer.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

LEGO Genetics posted:

The most logical solution is to continue with another time travel series after Doctor Who and make Toxx review Quantum Leap

Also not a bad idea if you want wild swings in quality. I mean, on the whole QL is awesome but there are some real stinkers in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I thought he had to review the TV movie?

• Locked thread