Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
Just tried the track for the first time, played for about two hours, and I think I came up with a pretty satisfying time. Nice, solid track overall, though I wish I had the same variety of options when it comes to wacky gimmick cars, like with TM1. I wonder if it's possible to import models at all...

Also, sign me up for the Goontrack(s), preferably somewhere in the middle. Maybe I can unintentionally make a really dickish section again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
Wow, a lot of negativity surrounding this track. I had a lot of fun with it, with the only tricky part being the area following the second and third checkpoints. I'm sure there are ways to go through it faster than how I did, but hell if I can find that perfect drifting angle.

Maybe it's because I throw on some music and hum along, or pop on a podcast, or maybe it's because of all the crap I've had to do across the past six seasons of this, but the challenge in these tracks feels especially genuine, and not awkward or abstruse like some of the tracks that have been in past seasons (I think one of them was called Stratofortress or something like that, and it was pure hell!).

Basically, so far we've had it good in this season. There are far, far worse things that could be happening, such as Season 4's Goontrack. Or most of those Bonus Tracks!

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
You seem to have the beginning music mixed only in the left channel on that video. It's only a small issue, since it fades out quickly anyhow.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
Holy poo poo, sixth? That makes up for how I've been slipping down the ranks in the past few tracks. I love technical tracks, they're the only kinds where I can actually figure out how to improve.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
Whoa, another decent rank, especially since I hit that run fairly early, and spent the next several hundred attempts trying to do the same thing but with several clear improvements that I could never string together into a complete run. Felt fairly sure that I would be way lower in the rankings this round!

I also wonder how many people decided to be crazy like myself, and drive through the little side-gap in the checkpoint before the dirt-turn.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Actually did that on accident, considered doing it for the run, but couldn't be consistent enough.

Oh, I couldn't be consistent with it either, it just happened to work on the run where I did decently well, and then I never managed to finish a run with or without that trick afterwards. I feel like it helped set up a better drift, at least!

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008

BrumDart posted:

Aside from just getting through that jump at all, was anyone able to land it in a semi-predictable way?

Basically this. I played the goontrack exactly as long as it took to get the drop in one take, and it just so happened to be a smooth landing, so I kept the rest of the sloppy run. Man, the track is absolutely no fun to play, it didn't feel like it was even worth trying to get a better run on.

Here's hoping the second goontrack plays a bit better. I tried to mix up my section with something slower, a bit more complicated to get the most speed out of it, but I realized after that there's a potential shortcut (maybe) for people who like aiming precision jumps! No idea if it's doable, since my memory of it is vague.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
Holy poo poo, that last place time. And holy poo poo, second place?! This almost makes up for the bonus track!

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008

Tafferling posted:

Well, I suppose Taevian time should be axed... It feels unspontmanlike

I would be okay with this. It's already bad enough to get the lowest time, without having such a crazy outlier.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
I'm deeply amazed that my terrible bonus track performance wound up placing so high. But hey, it let me achieve my goal of 10th place or under!

Can't wait for the next season, and I'll be eagerly watching out for this season's videos. Thanks for continuing to hold these tournaments, they're the only thing that convinces me to break out of lurking-mode around here.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
I spent about an average of two hours per track, might have gone back to do a little more on one or two occasions.

This was the first season where I had a decent controller available, so I tried it out. Started off not liking it, but once I fiddled with the controls (bound accelerate to X and brake to A, so I could feather either of them at will) I found that I really enjoyed it, and stuck with it ever since.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008

aas Bandit posted:

If any of you want to try something while waiting for the rest of the vids, I just released the fourth installment in my "Evil Track" series. Picture the Trackmania equivalent of a tough "Trials" track, and you should have a good idea of what this is all about; it will take you a lot of tries to get to the finish... :) (Oh, and it's Valley, so you'll need that environment.)

http://tm.mania-exchange.com/s/tr/73674

(If you give it a try, consider uploading the first-run replay. I love to watch people figure these things out.)

Uhh, when I try to look for the map I downloaded, it doesn't show up on the list. Then, when I bring up the windows explorer interface from the game to manually select the file, I get "Could not find the title 'Trackmania_2' by nadeolabs", though downloading some map from the steam workshop seems to work fine in Valley.

EDIT: Wait, hitting "More Info" brought me to a download page for some title pack. That should fix things. First run replay coming up soon for you, Aas!

EDIT 2: Well, it still doesn't show up in the list, and when I manually select the file, it just says "The game has to be restarted to complete the update". It restarts, I get a window that just says "Preparing to launch Trackmania 2", and nothing. Really odd...

EDIT 3: Trying to start the game makes it finish whatever update it's requesting, but that doesn't seem to solve anything. I tried redownloading the map using the manialink from the in-game browser, but it caused the same issue.

Eddy Rasta fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 28, 2014

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008

aas Bandit posted:

You *should* be able to just click on an empty station on the Maniaplanet home screen and add the multi-environment pack to your game, assuming you have all three environments.

Unfortunately, even adding that pack causes major issues with the steam version, the issues I've described above with always needing to restart and update.

The solution, as I've discovered, is to download a standalone ManiaPlanet client and play the game through there, thanks to instructions from this link: http://friday-night-gaming.com/steam_and_maniaplanet.php

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008

aas Bandit posted:

I look forward to any replay assuming you're not sick of screwing with it by now. :)

Well, you're in luck! I finally got the track to work, although I didn't think to unbind my 'give up' key until AFTER I accidentally hit it, wiping out fifteen minutes of bumbling idiocy. Basically, that just means I had a general idea in the replay of how to do the first three or four sections, up until the part where you boost onto a really thin bridge.

Still wound up being nearly half an hour.

Aaand I can't seem to upload the replay to the site, because "The driver login does not match your player login", which is a bug that I can only find a sole thread regarding, where a site dev 'fixed' it. So, for Aas and anyone else who would want to watch someone dumbly try to inch through a track (only to kinda give up at the end and take the cheap way out), have a link! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/978541/Evil%20Track%204%20Up%2C%20Down%2C%20and%20Sideways_eddyrasta(25%2754%27%2757).Replay.Gbx

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
I'm really glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, any time I was swearing, but not super-focused on retrying, I'd add in a honk. As for the ending part, that still baffles me. I mean, I managed to make that long jump way more reliably than the (granted, 0%) success rate for what I assume is the correct way.

The only part that I thought was kind of unintuitive was the cliff-scaling part leading up to the last checkpoint before the end. You could see that I tried it a couple of times, tried going either way (to the point where I reached the end and didn't finish the track), and almost gave up, since the idea of jumping at the cliff at an angle didn't seem like it would give any different results. Maybe just a sign (that could be put in place to block my alternate route to the end) that points upward would at least make it apparent that yes, you are supposed to go up the cliff.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
To be fair, I also flipped over right before that same checkpoint during the part of the replay I lost, while thinking "Hah, wouldn't it be awful if I flipped over right about here?" and went on to rest my head on the desk for a little bit when it actually happened. Though, it had taken me a few minutes longer than Entropist just to figure out a clean enough path to jump that high.

This track was also my first time playing Valley, ever! Really strange to switch to such a jumpy car from the relative weightiness of Stadium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
Goddamn, I hated the latter half of Derpetology so much. For almost the entire track I was just behind Entropist, but in the Group A video you can see the exact crash that cost me everything right at the end. I was utterly done with the track at that point though. I could've had that one!

• Locked thread