Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
I always thought about partecipating at the Goon Cup but never managed to get on the trainwreck in time. May I get in as a sparring partner? It's a long time since I last played and was never a pro to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Renegret posted:

If anybody is on the fence about participating, just keep in mind that nobody cares about how bad you are.

Also if you need help, sir smugsalot has given me a lot of helpful tips that I hope I can use to shave at least another half second off my time.

I feel like I know what to do but the track won't let me :saddowns:

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
So, as it stands i'm pretty good* at playing this game tith the keyboard, but I bought a 360 pad just recently... Should I try to adapt to the new controller or is the keyboard perfectly fine?

*no

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 2, 2014

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
I think It's just that you can tap the stick several times per second with slight thumb movements, which create the impression of smooth controls. Doing that with keys means having stenographic fast fingers and a sturdy keyboard.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

uXs posted:

TM has analog steering, period. There's not just an impression of smooth controls, they _are_ smooth controls.

Tried right now and yes, it's definitely analogic. There's even a nice tuning section in the controls menu!
Shaved off 50'' from my best in half an hour.
It's not that I'm faster, just more consistent. And a lot of laps completed means I can get to practice that last turn more often and every one could be THE ONE.
Love it; sorry keyboard, you're out from Trackmania too.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
I hit the notscrub finish while shaving a full second from my best time; I think I'm done for the night. I was starting to despise my ghost, that loving smartass was taunting me...

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
I sent my record to the goonmail; I'll be away for the weekend, thinking back on what I could I have done differently and oh GOD THERE ARE PEOPLE PLAYING AND MAKING BETTER TIMES RIGHT NOW!!!ARGH!

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Everybody is last

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Hey mom look! I'm average!
Now, for the replay I think I'll be near the top for a good part of the race only to decelerate on that loving last turn :angry:

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Replay validated; not too bad, not too good; I hope to get roughly halfway like the last race.
I'll be on vacation from now up to next sunday, which leaves me a full evening to practice the next track :suicide: I hope to get at least a gold medal time...

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Look mom! I'm completely average again! Are all these people "uncles"?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
After trying for ages to combine a perfect lap with that loving last jump the best I've managed to do is a decent time, maybe 70"-80" over my possible best,
with a slight bump on that last hill but I was already over it, so it just slowed me about 20"... I think...
I could theoretically do it with a second less but it would require far too many curses to be worth it. I'm done with your mom.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 24, 2014

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
I checked my time and it seems correct. Also, it's aas and not rear end. Duly noted!

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
HEY GUYS! GUESS WHO'S 11th!
IT'S LIKE DOUBLE FIRST PLACE!

:dukedog:

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
drat! It's not easy being green in this track! Where have you put it Entropist?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
I feel like I've suddenly leveled up rather than gradually improved my skills, at least according to my placements 29-22-24-11-14-13
It seems really odd. :iiam:

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

SupSuper posted:

And here's the regular old track:

Are you sure you haven't mixed them? It's the first track that makes me fear of not getting gold.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Will the GoonTrack times affect the leaderboard or should I put the REAL effort in digging Stercus?

Yay, more suffering!
VVV

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 23, 2014

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Well, I suppose I might as well try dabbling with the bonus track NOW.

:smuggo:

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Up up and away!
If I manage to get on the final top ten I'm putting that poo poo on my avatar!

Who am I kidding, I haven't got the patience to go for the gold in Stercus...

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Wait a minute... The times are kind of funky in Afghan Warcraft... I smashed the Author Time after just a dozen attempts without even stopping for the gold... That can't be right

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

The time I posted for GT1 was the one and only time I finished it all the way through without loving up. And now we have another goon track. gently caress you guys.

I think that GT2's "gently caress you" jump is slightly more doable and much less random than the first for what's worth...

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Entropist posted:

Okay I guess I overshot and made the times too easy now... I used the much slower "escape" options in a few places. I'm glad you all suck less at it than I expected! The author time is like 20-25 seconds slower than what the fastest of you guys will probably do.

I lowered my time again, It was not a perfect run by any means and at the end I lost a lot of time driving slowly in order to not gently caress it up at the last moment.
In this race everyone should aim for the gold, really, it's doable by just driving carefully. Hell, I managed to finish half a second from the gold by scraping a few walls AND coming to a complete stop TWICE.

BTW, does the first reverse jump have a chance to be completed somewhat fast(or at all) without the rewind button?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
This will be my replay for the goon track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3RogocRxEU

Not really winning though, still the best that I got.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 7, 2014

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Jabor posted:

Wooh, made the A division! in last place

My start actually looked really good watching that video. And then I'm looking like a total chump at the end.

I had the best start beside Entropist but the central part gave me a lot of grief and put me in last place after the loop. Fortunately thanks to a decent landing and perfect driving in the last turns I managed to gain three or four positions right at the end.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
The suspence is killing me. It's something awful.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Foozle posted:

Same. I got a chance to take a last minute trip to a Caribbean island for the long weekend and somehow that won out over grinding out times on the last two tracks. Sucks when life gets in the way of video games.

Don't worry, difficult decisions like this, agonizing as they might be, help forging your character. You're a better man now.

But... but... the gooncup... :smith:

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Fourth place! Holy poo poo I'm in the top ten!
If everyone half assed the bonus track like I did I might have to buy an avatar as I said back at the beginning!

Well, I suppose Taevian time should be axed... It feels unspontmanlike

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 17, 2014

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
So, Taevian would have been better off not sending anything :D
I look forward to seeing his replay!

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Teavian posted:

Yay! I caused a rule change!:downs:

Also it's a little weird that everyone is misspelling my name.

At least you're not rear end Bandit

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Good job CVE, I focused on the goontrack because these last weeks I couldn't afford to try that ten minutes abomination much. You were ahead for most of the tournament anyway and goontracks are as gimmicky as the bonus track for gaining positions.

Edit: and you saved me :10bux: anyway , I'm happy.

:gbsmith:

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 20, 2014

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

aas Bandit posted:

Great job guys!

Yeah, I really enjoyed doing the vs. cams when 1st and 2nd were nicely close and nail-bitey. :)

Yeah, it's much more enjoyable!
And maybe this track was more competitive because it was all twisty and mazey, so even if you happened to crash on a wall it wouldn't really matter because there's probably an U-turn ahead anyway.

Derpetology was a loving meat grinder though. Much like in Baconic Rites and Datastream if you so much left the gas pedal for too long you were presented with subpar speed and awful trajectories for half the race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Hahaha, I completely botched(top ten wise) my Goontrack 2 run only to regain ten positions on the last loving jump. I thought I was hot stuff but it was just a decent run with a goofy finale. Seriously, I plonked awkwardy on the finish line with half a tire and that was it.
I already posted this but it sums up perfectly my emotions after that run https://youtube.com/watch?v=U3RogocRxEU

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 5, 2015

• Locked thread