Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So I fired up IRC for the first time in forever, and then found myself wondering "why the heck are there so many people in #trackmania?". Then someone linked the thread, and I realized what's up.

I'm totally up for this, and oh boy have I forgotten how to play since last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sent my time in, I think that's about as good as I can get. I'm just glad the slowness is caused by a bunch of minor slips rather than a single major ran-into-the-wall fuckup, unlike my previous best.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My best time was the one where I hosed up the dirt section but everything else went smoothly, as opposed to all the other runs where I nailed that section but hosed up the last turn. So I'm probably going to look like a total idiot once we get to that point :v:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I love the trees, if you line things up right you can drive straight through as though they weren't even there. Those slow drifts after the second checkpoint, on the other hand, are a right pain to do properly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

#trackmania IRC posted:

_SupSuper: trying out the trackmania built-in renderer, takes a minute to render each frame, this is gonna be good :V

Pretty sure it's still coming.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropist posted:

Nobody read my track walkthrough :( No wonder you all suck.

I read it, perhaps that's why I thought this track wasn't as bad as most people were complaining about?

Then again I'm a Bad Racer who doesn't even get the author medal most times, so perhaps it's just that I'm more accepting of my own mediocrity than everyone else.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Huh, I always figured I'd screwed up the dirt section the worst. But then looking at the C-listers video, I'm right near the back up until the hump and then claw most of it back just over that section. I guess I could have shaved like half a second if I'd figured out how to do that opening loop right.

(As an aside, I'd also considered the Lada skin, but then decided I wanted something a little more obscure.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Grey Hunter posted:

The first drop is killing me - I can get the theory, but it seems random if I land smoothly or not.

You do know you can tap the brake in the air to control how you land, right?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Nice, not in the scrub league that video! (Though I was right at the rear end-end of the B division for most of the race :v:)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're going fast enough, you can head a little off to the right and jump the barrier instead of going straight down the hill too.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The goon track is pretty interesting. That "Precision Jump" seems very difficult to do as-intended though...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CVE posted:

Time submitted probably super bad since I only managed to complete the track 3 times in over 5 hours of trying because its the worst track in existence. gently caress you Entropist you are the Hitler of Trackmania to me. :argh:

Probably doesn't even mean jack squat in the grand scheme of things since Stercus is the only track that going to decide global standing with its retarded 10+ minutes running time. I don't mind having a bonus track but it literally being a track that invalidates every other result is just plain stupid as the time differences in a track that massive are going to be ridiculous.

SupSuper posted:

We'll use a rally system for scoring the season results. A running total of each person's total racing time will be used to determine their standing. There may be some adjustment to this if one or more tracks are unusually long, to keep them from having a disproportionate effect on the results. In this case each person's adjusted time for that race will be a simple percentage of their total time.

It's fine, don't worry about it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Wooh, made the A division! in last place

My start actually looked really good watching that video. And then I'm looking like a total chump at the end.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SupSuper posted:

Past the half-way point now!

Race 6: Eat Sleep Race Repeat

Video: HD ~ SD

With regards to my "shortcut" at the dirt gate: I did it once by accident while cutting it too close on my drifting, noticed it was faster than my previous runs, and after a couple more attempts realized that it was much easier to do consistently than actually making that turn.

It was a terrible decision overall though, since I'd have had a much better time if I'd spent the same amount of effort on figuring out how to drift that turn properly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Glazius posted:

Yeah, the Goontrack video doesn't seem to have been uploaded.

Unless :thejoke: ?

http://lp.somesingawful.com/Trackmania/Videos/TMS8E8.mp4

Looks like someone typoed the season number when they uploaded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SupSuper posted:

And finally...

Race 9: Afghan Warcraft

Video: HD ~ SD

Wait, you could go behind that wall with the trees poking up through the track? I can't believe I missed that, those trees were the bane of many of my runs.

• Locked thread