Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010
I'm pretty bummed that I missed the first 3 tracks, but I put down an absolutely perfect time for this track and I'm convinced it cannot possibly be done any faster.

I'm looking forward to bringing up the rear of the pack in the coming video and feeling completely inadequate compared to the rest of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010
Just sent in my replay, this track did not agree with me at all. I know I could take 1 second off my time if I could be lucky enough to string together a lap without a tiny mistake wrecking it. But there's no way I could improve it beyond that. I didn't even make the AT and I feel like I'm at my wit's end.

ViggyNash posted:

Me getting the Author Medal in just under a few dozen attempts? I'm very confused right now.

This being on a run that I know for a fact I can shave a second or two off, at least.

Then I read this :smith:

BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010

Thistledown posted:

Could someone show me/us how to do the drop for Goon Track 1? I have no idea how to even approach it... I don't get enough speed going from the other side to hit the CPs either.

When I'm heading through the boosters I aim for the "mesh" sides of the bottom of the ramp. Once I'm on the ramp I turn hard back towards the center of the ramp so that my inner tire just about hits the solid metal centre of the ramp as I launch off of it. That gives me enough rotation to go up above the rings on the outside and fall down through the centre.

That method seems to have improved my chances of a successful lap from a dice roll to a coin flip. I like the track overall, but that part is simply evil.

BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010
This last track didn't really click with me either, but after reading everyone else's comments I'm feeling a little more satisfied that I at least managed to get a gold. I think I got extremely lucky and put down a great time(for me) for the second half of the track somehow. Because I could reliably shave off 1.5 seconds in the first half of the track for every subsequent run, yet would always wind up in the red by the end.

BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010
Aside from just getting through that jump at all, was anyone able to land it in a semi-predictable way? I was able to get through it about 1/3 of the time, but there was no way of predicting which way up I'd be facing on the other side of it. I threw in a couple extra laps before sending in my replay, and managed to shave off 3 seconds between the jump and the next checkpoint simply because I was lucky enough to land mostly upright this time. I know there are another 3-4 seconds I can save in the first half of the track but I just can't be bothered now.

The precision jump earlier in the track was slightly annoying, but I felt that with enough practice I could become consistent at it. Maybe if CVE's jump had been earlier in the track it wouldn't be so frustrating to have to waste most of a lap just to find out if I was lucky enough to land it this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010

CVE posted:

Well I have to accept that then I guess. I'm just increasingly salty at how little leeway there was for the entirety of the track as even the slightest mistake would gently caress you over entirely. But I guess my drop was equally bad even though I never felt that way probably due to creating it and driving it a ton more than others to make sure it works.

I didn't think I'd ever agree with Satan himself, but this whole track annoyed me far more than the Goon Track ring-drop ever did. My computer was also acting up and frequently causing TrackMania to crash which certainly didn't help things. I saved my first sub-AT replay and just called it good.

I'm interested to see just how much quicker everyone else was able to go, because I know I lost plenty of time on every corner and obstacle.

• Locked thread