Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Ooooh, just found this thread. Ill probably have a time by tomorrow.

e: Or today. Is there any limit to the number of attempts we can submit? Not that I'm going to spam the inbox with lousy times, but just in case I happen to improve and want to submit the new one.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Probably done the best I'm going to - my dirt section and "last corner" are garbage but I'll have to play a shitload to get that last 0.5s that I can cut.

The dirt is easy if you go over the large hump smoothly enough that you can cut inside the dirt bump. That way you don't go airborne. Easier said than done though because that hump is a really weird obstacle.

It's a strange thing how every time you set a new record, you immediately start finding new corners to cut that you didn't notice before, shaving off several tenths of a second at a time. Of course, finishing the track is half the battle in this game.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Relatively garbage - I am cutting inside the dirt :)

Unless you royally mess up somewhere in the middle of the dirt, I'm not sure what's there to improve. :shrug:

After cutting inside the dirt bump, I just hold right until I see that next bit of road and go as straight over the next bump as possible. The first and second dirt bumps are the only real obstacles on the dirt, as far as I can tell.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 5, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I've sailed through the gap between the two gates before, that annoying.

I once managed to sail right between that arch of one of the finishes and the sign attached above it. I was more in awe than annoyed.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

aas Bandit posted:

Submitted my time. I don't have it in me to shave off any more.

My experience playing your track:

-Good flow, and I really like the density and claustrophobic feeling of the scenery! Cool track! :)
*hits dirt boil protruding through track and flips upside down*
-Well, other than that part.
(restarts)
*gets to finish, misses jump*
:argh: (restarts)
*misses jump repeatedly because you can't get enough speed from the CP*
:argh::argh:
(At this point, I would normally say "gently caress that, there are a lot of other tracks out there", but since it's a goontrack...)
*finally clears the finish block after a few attempts from the beginning, lets off the gas, then realizes that wasn't the finish...*
:suicide:

I like the track (other than the boil).
I hate the finish section. :)

I had .5 seconds on my best time as I left the last ramp and smashed into a wall.

I really don't like that finish section.

Entropist posted:

Yeah, also the fastest way at the finish seems to involve crashing into the wall since there is no space to make much of a slide and the finish is right after the turn, that's kinda random.

Do you mean right after the dirt section ends? You don't have to. If you mean the short chicane before the last checkpoint/jump, you still don't have to.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 9, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Woooh, managed to get under a minute in not an obcene number of tries.

This track manages to be more bizarre than the last one. Maybe pubbie tracks are just that boring.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Having now retried an obscene number of times, I can safely confirm that the first checkpoint is an rear end in a top hat.

e: There's just no solidly reliable way to take that first couple turn and so I'm stuck repeating that intro section dozens of times over every time I replay, trying not to lose a tenth of a second on my ghost.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 13, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SupSuper posted:

Ok after going through all the submissions, I decided it's time to finish up the Goon Cup website to automate the process. What this means is automated replay submissions, time tracking, leaderboard generation, the works!

Check it out! Track 1 results are up!

Does this mean multiple submissions are allowed, and we can see how people are doing in pseudo-real time?

Also holy poo poo Entropist, how did you get under 38? I can't even figure out how to get under 41.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So after getting pissed off burnt out with Entropist's track, I decided to try to make my own. I was going to post it here for people to criticize and tear apart, but the editor seems to be stuck. I was some of the stuff next to the validation button, and I went into the scripts section (don't remember exactly what it was called) and hit edit on one of them to see what I could do with it.

Only now I can't get out of that interface and I don't remember when I saved.

Help.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

aas Bandit posted:

Are you on a screen that looks like this on the lower left?

If so, TM2 may be waiting on you to place a trigger, and it won't do anything as long as you're in that mode. To turn off that mode, press the circled/arrowed button. At that point, you should just be able to hit Esc and go back to the regular editor.

Hopefully that's it...if not, provide a screenie, and I'll try to help.

Yes, thank you.

More importantly it's (mostly) complete! I know it can be improved, especially specific sections, but I'm not sure how I should or want to, so I decided to just throw it out there and see what people think. Should take just under a minute.

e: Will this work?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 14, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

aas Bandit posted:

Yes indeed. :)

I like it overall! The biggest thing you need to do is add first-person cams at the two loops. It's quick and easy to do, and you can find tutorials on YouTube. I went ahead and quickly added them so I could more easily drive your track. If you want to see what I did, you can grab it here. The other thing you'd do is add triggers at any CPs to revert to normal cam if you respawn.

I like some of the unconventional stuff that you've done with the loops, I like the few sections that kind of sneak up on you, and I like the nice mix of block types. The one loop-into-wallride was fun too.

Stuff that I didn't like as much (other than the lack of first-person loop cams)--there are two sections that seemed maybe a bit too unfriendly. The one U-turn followed by a hard right onto the descending ramp at ~30 seconds is pretty awkward, even when you know it's coming. The other one was the wallride going right into another hard U-turn at ~45. Part of what made that unfriendly is that you want to try to stay low/left while you're on the wallride, but if you do, you clip the edge of the ramp/wall where it sticks out...

This is a cool first effort! You'll probably want to add some signs eventually, and do intro/replay if you feel up to it. :)

Thanks!

I went into it wanting to use new blocks or old ones in ways I hadn't seen before. I wanted to use a lot of underground blocks, but I couldn't make them work well with the rest of the track.

That first section you criticized is one I changed drastically before releasing. For the longest time, it was a sideways jump/u-turn from one ramp to another, but I just couldn't find a way to make the landing not awkward and keep your speed going out. What I changed it to I didn't like much either, but I wasn't sure how to change it. I just came up with an idea, but I'm open to suggestions.

The second, I'm not sure that I want to change. I like that bit. I suggest maybe using a longer vertical arc and breaking heavily into the u-turn.

One bit I was hoping to get feedback on was that jump that goes over 2 lanes of track and ends on a concrete section with a tight turn. I've had a bunch of iterations of that landing segment but haven't liked any of them. I know I should change something about either the jump or the landing section, but I don't know how. I also wasn't sure about the tight road bit after the first loop. Was that interesting or annoying?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Strong Mouse posted:

The thing about the slow drifts is that on my fastest run I don't slow down at all. I still don't know how I did that, and I can't get it to happen again.

Most important part of it, I think is keeping speed through that first right-left section, which requires braking right before it. Then you gotta keep close to the right wall, using brakes/letting go of gas as necessary until you get to the left turn taking you to the third checkpoint. That's how I handle it at least.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 15, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

aas Bandit posted:

This is the first day I had a chance to spend more than a few minutes driving the track (I had a busy week; shut up), and initially, for the first 15-20 minutes, I was kinda struggling and cursing and having a rough time of it.

What changed that was slowing down. It sounds weird, but try taking a few runs through the track, and not braking at all and not trying to drift. Just use purely throttle control and think about when and where you need to slow down, and when and where you can floor it, and what the best clean line is. About the third run of this I tried, I was surprised to pass my old ghost.

I'm now a bit over 3 seconds ahead of that ghost (granted, it wasn't all that fast to start with, but...man, I was struggling so much more than I am now). I've gone back to braking and drifting and so on, but I'm driving in a much less...fussy?...way than I was before, and the track feels a lot better.

The hardest part for me now is hitting this just right:

It's a thing of beauty when you get just the right angle, but you're done if you don't. :suicide:

Huh, I never thought of that. Then again, I keep restarting on the first few sections so much that I rarely ever get that far anyway.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Entropist posted:

Nobody read my track walkthrough :( No wonder you all suck.

I did and at least beat the replay time. Still don't like certain sections, especially the beginning.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
What about my mom, Entropist, WHAT ABOUT HER? YOU THINK SHE'S FAT? Well she is, deal with it.

The new track is... interesting. I wasn't expecting so much dirt. Some dick moves here and there, but hasn't outright annoyed me yet at least.

e: Scratch that, it's annoying me now. The bumps at the beginning are just plain annoying and unnecessary. The drop from the first checkpoint is annoying. The precarious bit before the third checkpoint it annoying. The jump onto the boost platforms is annoying. The second ramp going into the finish is just a dick move of a cherry on top. This is not a fun track to play at all because I'm always trying to not gently caress up every turn instead of searching for ways to improve and so my time, and whether or not I finish at all, depends purely on how many times I did not gently caress up. And it's neigh impossible to repeat a good run because good runs are just flukes where I didn't gently caress anything up.

If this sounds very harsh, it's because I had a rather lovely weekend and this track compounded that.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 18, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SupSuper posted:

Track 2 results are up!

I'll set up the global leaderboards soon.

Did I submit mine too late? :ohdear:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Final version of my track is complete! (Download)(Steam Workshop)

Let me know what you think.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Grimwit posted:

This track is apparently nimbler than I am.
Mainly, I just found it hard to figure out where I was going.

Does it need more signs, or would a replay do?

Gamerofthegame posted:

Did you drop the ball with the author time? Getting gold on the first attempt is, uh, weird. Also map is bad for not making the backwards route equally competitive 2/10.

I'm pretty bad at my own track I guess, though I'm not amazing in general.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Grimwit posted:

A replay might help.
My problem witht he track is it feels very disjointed. One obstacle doesn't lead neatly into the next, giving those new to the track a labyrinthine feel. I never actually finished the track because I couldn't find my way out. The nail in the coffin was the loop-d-loop leading...somewhere. I couldn't be sure. Often I'd take the spin and suddenly end up at the beginning of the track.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwV09A2k1nftRWgwcnE4SlNLbk0/edit?usp=sharing

By no means my fastest time, but it'll at least show you where to go.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

The gold time seemed pretty soft. Author is a bugger.

I am well under the gold time and I still haven't gotten the author medal. I know there's at least a second or to to shave off my time though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

aas Bandit posted:

It still needs first-person cams on the loops. Loops are really obnoxious to learn/drive without them because it forces you to manually switch cameras while you're trying to concentrate on the track. First-person cams tend to fix problems like:

I thought I forgot something...

e:
AHAHAHAHI done goofed.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 20, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Great Joe posted:

I like it. Unlike the last track it pushes me to get better.

Its my favorite so far.

Looks like I missed out on one weird track while I was gone. Got rather annoying fast though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Slowly working my time down. Haven't reached gold time yet. That first section is a bitch and a half, the majority of my restarts happen there. Otherwise I'm loving the new map. So many places where you can jump a wall a nd make a nice shortcut.

Its not nearly as bad as the second track. There's a couple ways to get a decent time through it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Me getting the Author Medal in just under a few dozen attempts? I'm very confused right now.

This being on a run that I know for a fact I can shave a second or two off, at least.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 9, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

BrumDart posted:

Just sent in my replay, this track did not agree with me at all. I know I could take 1 second off my time if I could be lucky enough to string together a lap without a tiny mistake wrecking it. But there's no way I could improve it beyond that. I didn't even make the AT and I feel like I'm at my wit's end.

Then I read this :smith:

I've not been all that great on the other tracks so maybe this one just happens to be my forte.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

CVE posted:

If it helps you I think Viggy's post is for the new track posted above since we go back to a Monday deadline schedule. the AT in the current one was really hard if you aren't technically proficient or had the time to brute force it with sheer time and effort.

Right, should have mentioned my post is about the indoor track. But as hard as the last track was, I'm surprised I didn't do worse.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh man, having already missed 3 tracks this might save me from having an overall mediocre score...

... 10 minutes? Really? That means each lap will be over 2 minutes long. drat, will this be painful.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Is anyone else having an issue submitting for track 6? I keep getting an error telling me to check the file and try again later. I tried multiple replays and got the same result.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Thistledown posted:

Maybe it's because I hopped in a few races late but I'm feeling good about 10+B+GTs length. Tracks this season have been nice and varied so I feel like I'm working different stuff each week, keeps it fresh.

My opinion is the same for the most part. As long as they stay varied, ill probably keep going.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Im for that last option.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Foozle posted:

I'm not sure if I'm burning out on trackmania or if it's just the current track that isn't doing it for me. There's a couple bits where I keep getting wedged under geometry that are getting frustrating. Also just gently caress that dirt bit. I know it can be done better but I might as well be riding around that on a tricycle.

It's going to suck if I have to submit my current time because I know it's really half-assed. I can reliably knock almost a half second off my time by the third checkpoint but then everything falls to poo poo.

Looking forward to a new track tomorrow and seeing what kind of abomination the first goon track is this year.

Dirt? Except for the grass turn at the end, you don't need to touch the dirt at all.

e: Unless of course I'm doing this completely wrong. If I've learned anything here, it's that's always possible.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Renegret posted:

I avoid the dirt myself. I lose too much speed going into the dirt, and you don't accelerate as well on the dirt either. That's just me though, I'm willing to admit it's the slower of all your options and I just haven't found the right line yet.

If we're talking about the dirt patches after going under the curved sculpture bit, I just powerslide my way around the dirt curve. It keeps speed pretty well and you don't lose control like you would coming off the dirt.

Renegret posted:

I'm paranoid about this track because my run is very solid, but I feel like I'm missing something. I don't know what it is, I just feel like there's some huge time saver somewhere that I haven't found yet.

I kinda have the same feeling, especially because I'm not using that odd jump pad towards the end. I can't take a sharp enough turn and keep enough speed to be able to jump the block, and I don't feel like you lose much speed just going around. My prediction is that Entropist uses it effortlessly and gets a gains a good second on us chumps.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Dammit why can't the times be out yet. I actually feel pretty good about my time for once.

e: Well, 20's is still better than 30's.

e2: But globally, I'm first among people missing 2+ times. :v: And its Goontrack time!

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 15, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

:stare:

:unsmigghh: is right.

e: Really technical track this time with yet another taunting jump pad at the very end. I know you can make it to the finish from there, but I just keep falling short.

Some Trackmania map editor questions:

You know how a tile, beofre you place it, has a green or red box indicating whether it can or can't be placed? What does a blue box indicate?

How can you force pieces to no-clip, like Entropist did with the curved statue(?) piece and the concrete block at the beginning?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 15, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

SupSuper posted:

There's a checkpoint on the right so I doubt you can skip it and jump straight to the finish, but you can use the jump to go straight into that checkpoint instead.

I somehow mentally edited out the existence of that checkpoint. It doesn't seem like that would save a lot of time, maybe a few tenths, but that's still something.

Now, if only I could get there without crashing...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Man, the AT is so low it may as well not exist for me. I just pulled off a drat good run an shaved nearly 2 seconds off and only went from silver to gold, and I don't know how I'm going to get more than .5 off my current time.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AtomicSX posted:

Hey Aas, if there's only a couple hundreths of a second between the winners, could we do a top 2 (or more) for the "winner" replay like we did last season? I remember it being cool to watch where one would lose time but make it up in other sections of the track.

As for Derpetology, the track is really tough to get a handle on. I'll probably drop a few spots this week because I don't have time this weekend to try and improve my time :(. The AT for this week in particular took forever to get.

At least you got there. I might just send in my non-AT time and hope I'm not lower than 40th.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
FIRST TIME IN THE TOP 15! :dance:

I was totally not expecting 15th, so I guess everyone had trouble with this one, relatively.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Entropist posted:

They will affect it just like the other regular tracks!

Welp, I guess something had to balance my joy of getting a not lovely rank on the last track. I can't even finish the goon track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I lost an entire minute and dropped 10 positions because of GT1. :cry:

What's worse, I now have less time to work on the tracks than I have for the first 8 weeks. :suicide:

• Locked thread