Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Pro-Wrestling Champion for July, 2014?
This poll is closed.
:human being: AJ Styles (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 52 64.20%
:manning: Michael Elgin (ROH World Champion) 4 4.94%
:colbert: Bad Luck Fale (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 2 2.47%
:anime: Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.23%
Rob Conway (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.23%
:hurr: John Cena (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 7 8.64%
:ughh: Still No "Good" Options? (Disdain/Disinterest Champion) 14 17.28%
Total: 81 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last month, AJ Styles proved too sweet yet again, even for newly crowned ROH Champion Michael Elgin. A large number of options and fewer votes than usual meant things were spread out a bit more, but AJ's victory was still a pretty dominant one.

Remember, to be eligible, a wrestler needs to have held any of the currently Punchsport Pagoda accepted title belts for at least one day of the month OR had at least one title defense since becoming Champion. This means if someone wins the title on the last day of the month and defends it that night, they're eligible, and if they win the title on the first day of the month and don't defend it at all, they're eligible. Please note that belts for promotions such as PWG or Dragon's Gate haven't been included in monthly polls so far because not only can months go by where the Champion don't defends their belts, but where the Champions don't even make an appearance/make a promo about their title. They WILL be included in the end of year poll.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone:

:human being: AJ Styles (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - The G1 Climax is currently running in NJPW, a lengthy tournament in which all the major wrestlers are placed into two pods and battle it out against each other until a winner emerged from each, who then fight each other to see to win the tournament. As a result of this crowded schedule, the IWGP Title has not been defended this month... however it looms large over the entire tournament. The winner of the tournament usually gets given a title shot (provided they are not already champion), having proven themselves as the best of all the top wrestlers in the company. So the tournament is not just for pride or cash but a shot at the title itself, and the IWGP Champion has taken an active part in it, with AJ Styles having a number of high quality matches already. Thanks as always to Thauros for providing the links, there is some EXCELLENT wrestling to be seen in here. Styles and his title have been hugely important this month, though it's up to you whether you think the lack of title defenses should stand against him and cost him your vote.

:manning: Michael Elgin (ROH World Champion) - Through July, Elgin has defended his title in matches on the Summer Heat tour, beating the likes of Kyle O'Reilly, Roderick Strong and Matt Hardy. Though Ring of Honor continues to deal with less than ideal budget and marketing limitations, the quality of their product is not in question and people have had some very good things to say about their shows and television. Elgin is perhaps a perfect representation of ROH - small but strong, not the best looking but capable of doing extremely impressive things, and surviving poo poo that should have killed him. Regular watchers of ROH might want to state his case more strongly, for me all I can say is that I think it is great somebody as good as Elgin has the belt.

:colbert: Bad Luck Fale (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - Bad Luck Fale has also been taking part in the G1 Climax this month, where his results have been mixed and surprising. Losing to the likes of Shelton Benjamin, Satoshi Kojima and Doc Gallows would indicate the IC Champion isn't all that much of a threat. BUT he has also beaten top guys like Ishii, Nagata, and holy crap even Tanahashi too! Fale continues to be a guy who it surprises to see me in a high profile role, but despite his big wins this month I feel like his belt is overshadowed by the tournament as opposed to the Heavyweight Title, which looms large over it. As always, it's your choice though, and maybe Fale has been a revelation to you this month.

:anime: Lashley (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Lashley defeated Jeff Hardy earlier in the month to retain his belt, and defeated Austin Aries at the end of the month to retain his title as well. In the meantime, he spent the month beating former champion Eric Young again and again and again and again at various houseshows (including their special Basebrawl shows), perhaps to further hammer home that yes this is not a dream, Lashley really is the TNA Champion. Of course nobody actually knows how long TNA will continue to exist given the recent axing of their timeslot on Spike TV, but for this month at least the TNA World Heavyweight Title still exists, and Lashley IS your TNA World Heavyweight Champion.

Rob Conway (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) - Rob Conway defeated Chris Richards at Smoky Mountain Steel Cage Showdown to retain his NWA Title. Without regular exposure on NJPW it is harder to keep up to date with what is going on with the NWA Title at the moment, but enough people voted for Conway (more than the WWE Champion got!) to show he DOES have fans out there who consider him not just good, but better than every other champion out there. Perhaps one of them would like to speak up in defense of Conway and say why he should have your vote.

:hurr: John Cena (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - The Champ remains here. Cena is the Authority's worst nightmare - a tall and muscular merchandising machine who lives and breathes WWE and subsumes his own will to the good of the company. Eager to get the belt off of Cena and back on to his chosen one Randy Orton, Triple H stacked the deck and put the odds against Cena by putting him in a Fatal Fourway match with Orton, Kane and Roman Reigns. Why Reigns? Because he had no qualms whatsoever about beating up Cena in addition to the other two, and seemed less likely to form an alliance with Cena, while Kane and Orton seemed likely to play ball and do as Triple H wanted. Unfortunately for him, Cena somehow overcame the odds (!) and retained his title, and when Reigns once again took down Orton before he could be gifted a title shot, Triple H had no choice but to acknowledge Paul Heyman's utter superiority and agree to unleash his client Brock Lesnar (he conquered the Undertaker's undefeated streak at Wrestlemania). Cena acknowledged the massive odds he was now facing (!!) but promised he would fight with everything he had to keep his belt, and proved his fire by defeating Cesaro for daring to protect his middle-aged, unathletic non-wrestling friend Paul from Cena attacking him. The last time Cena and Lesnar fought was an incredible match, so there should be anticipation for that. But that comes in August, how did his efforts in July impress (or not impress) you?

:ughh: Still No "Good" Options? (Disdain/Disinterest Champion) - If you're utterly unimpressed with all the options available this month and just want to express that disdain (or just see the votes), click on this option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

write-in for the prettiest dancingest champ BxB Hulk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

haha beat you, jerusalem. BxB Hulk confirmed more important than champions past

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dragon Gate is one of those promotions that does like 5 shows a year, right? I'll be happy to put BxB Hulk into the end of year poll then.

As for this month, AJ Styles continues to wow me with the way he has just blossomed since he left TNA. He was always really drat good, but now he truly is phenomenal.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Gotta go with AJ (someone too sweet me) but Ishii is still the wrestler of the year

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Jerusalem posted:

Dragon Gate is one of those promotions that does like 5 shows a year, right? I'll be happy to put BxB Hulk into the end of year poll then.

As for this month, AJ Styles continues to wow me with the way he has just blossomed since he left TNA. He was always really drat good, but now he truly is phenomenal.

actually they do iPPV pretty much every month, just that nobody here watches it

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

Gotta go with AJ (someone too sweet me) but Ishii is still the wrestler of the year

Too sweet? Feh, Bullet Club should do :sissies:

But until Okada gets his rightful championship back, I guess I have to accept this 'AJ Styles' as the greatest champion! :argh:

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
TOO SWEET ME

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Great White Hope posted:

Too sweet? Feh, Bullet Club should do :sissies:

But until Okada gets his rightful championship back, I guess I have to accept this 'AJ Styles' as the greatest champion! :argh:

too sweet

Jay 2K Winger posted:

TOO SWEET ME

too sweet

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

One Korakuen hall show on iPPV a month (gently caress you ustream) and they have TV. They generally only defend the Dream Gate title 4-5 times a year at major shows which is why it never makes your poll. Just trying to get his name out there though!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

they have weekly tv and big monthly shows at korakuen hall

e: oatgan'd again!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If they're doing monthly shows with weekly tv then it's probably worth including him in the poll even if he doesn't defend the title every month. If somebody wants to send me a little write-up at the end of each month I'll include it in the poll, otherwise I'll just be like,"Well BxB Hulk is the champion and stuff"

With TNA's future in flux it's probably worth it to include more variety where it is suitable.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The Tenzan match made this an easy vote for AJ.

I've never stopped thinking AJ was a great wrestler - but I didn't think he would still be as great as he is right now. Just an awesome talent.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 1, 2014

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
If you told me in 2013 that the guys holding belts in the year of our lord two thousand and fourteen were Bobby Lashley, AJ Styles and Rob loving Conway, I would have laughed in your face.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

AJ didn't do much of anything to deserve it in June, but he's the clear winner this month

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Voted for Lashley for the sheer fact I pity the man

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

AJ's definitely the choice even though he lost his best two matches in July

oatgan posted:

One Korakuen hall show on iPPV a month (gently caress you ustream) and they have TV. They generally only defend the Dream Gate title 4-5 times a year at major shows which is why it never makes your poll. Just trying to get his name out there though!

It's even been defended seven times already this year.

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=5&nr=311&page=4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A depressingly low turn out this month, though I doubt the result was ever in question

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ask Me For Warez posted:

If you told me in 2013 that the guys holding belts in the year of our lord two thousand and fourteen were Bobby Lashley, AJ Styles and Rob loving Conway, I would have laughed in your face.

AJ and Conway were obvious and I would've been glad to have confirmation of Bobby Lashley: ROH World Champion.

I didn't even see this thread pop up or I would have given Elgin a pity vote even though the answer is AJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

John Cena was the second most popular champion in PSP for the month of July. Never forget!

• Locked thread