Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
much runes
such power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fargield posted:

much runes
such power

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Nyaa~rlolthep

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
very telefragged

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

The Imp Zone is not the place for racial slurs.

Soral
May 30, 2009

nigg*rath

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the lp guy niggurath?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
N*ggurath

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
At every opportunity I like to remind people that H.P. Lovecraft had a cat named "friend of the family Man", and that this animal's name is easily a thousand times better than anything else the guy wrote

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
friend of the family man was the man man

Soral
May 30, 2009

Schnedwob posted:

At every opportunity I like to remind people that H.P. Lovecraft had a cat named "friend of the family Man", and that this animal's name is easily a thousand times better than anything else the guy wrote

quote:

A common dramatic device in Lovecraft's work is to associate virtue, intellect, elevated class position, civilization, and rationality with white Anglo-Saxon ethnicity, which he often posed in contrast to the corrupt, intellectually inferior, uncivilized and irrational, which he associated with people he characterized as being of lower class, impure racial "stock" and/or non European ethnicity and dark skin complexion who were often the villains in his writings.

Some of his most hostile racist views can be found in his poetry, particularly in "On the Creation of Niggers," and "New England Fallen" (both 1912). In "On the Creation of Niggers" in particular, Lovecraft takes this to an extreme, explicitly characterizing black people as sub-human:

“ When, long ago, the gods created Earth;
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were designed;
Yet were too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest of Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a friend of the family. ”

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Schnedwob posted:

[yawns really loud] please, tell me more [you open your mouth to speak and i fart straight down your throat] Lol.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Howard Phillips Lovecraft posted:

When, long ago, the gods created Earth;
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were designed;
Yet were too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest of Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a .

Soral
May 30, 2009

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
nerds are horrible racist monsters news at 10

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

George posted:

nerds are horrible racist monsters news at 10

You're.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

N-Word man makes an appearance in The Rats In The Walls (My personal favorite) and in one of the audiobooks it's replaced with the name Mr Black Man, lmao.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

what kind of hosed up school do you go to where that line doesn't consistently soak up the panties.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Wormskull posted:

N-Word man makes an appearance in The Rats In The Walls (My personal favorite) and in one of the audiobooks it's replaced with the name Mr Black Man, lmao.

There are Lovecraft audiobooks?

I have to hear this.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

There are Lovecraft audiobooks?

I have to hear this.

The better ones are read by a guy named Nathan Healy but there's expurgated ones also but I forget the guy's name.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
How do they handle the sometimes multiple sentence long strings of gibberish?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The guy in the expurgated ones tends to spell them out but Nathan Healy tries to pronounce them.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Wayne June is the lovely ones, from a series called The Dark Worlds of HP Lovecraft. And it's David Healy not nathan sorry. I found this. http://www.sffaudio.com/?page_id=1897

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
hey has anyone made a joke about 'niggurath' yet

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Wormskull posted:

have you seen the comic of this? it's cool.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

have you seen the comic of this? it's cool.

I don't actually read books, I just listen to the audiobooks of them, and I don't even bother looking at comic versions of things.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Not to mention I stopped caring much about Lovecraft poo poo after I became 15 or 16 or something.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Fargield posted:

much runes
such power

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

the lp guy niggurath?

that guy's a lovely loser iirc

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

conceitedguy posted:

that guy's a lovely loser iirc

I was banned from the LP forum for saying this and apparently he's pretty hot stuff down there so watch yer' rear end :tinfoil:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

my balls have ziggurat vertigo, oh mai

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Kazvall posted:

my balls have ziggurat vertigo, oh mai

I also was banned from pet island for saying this, so watch your rear end too :tinfoil:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

big duck equals goose posted:

I also was banned from pet island for saying this, so watch your rear end too :tinfoil:

I have a verified disease, dude. My balls can't tell where they are going in the ziggurat. For my Mayan brethren, this is NO BEUNO.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Soral
May 30, 2009

big duck equals goose posted:

I was banned from the LP forum for saying this and apparently he's pretty hot stuff down there so watch yer' rear end :tinfoil:

lp forums poster n*ggurath is indeed a boring piece of poo poo & garbage loser and im not afraid of geop and his nerd squad coming to get me for saying so

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

at least we will always have that dark souls LPer whose name i've inexplicably forgotten

is his probation down yet

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Fargield posted:

much runes
such power

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

Ekster posted:

at least we will always have that dark souls LPer whose name i've inexplicably forgotten

is his probation down yet

• Locked thread